Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

$1,000,000 collection amassed

Oct 18 at 3:57:31 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: tbone3969

Originally posted by: snk2d4ever

What's the membership fee to join the VGC and where do I sign up?
I don't know what VGC is but it sounds cool.  Can I join?

They call themselves the "Video Game Club". The lamest name ever :-P

Oct 18 at 4:00:44 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: Woobie

I always kind of find these things amusing....Its kind of like "I paid this much so therefor its worth this much". But is it? Something is only worth as much as the market as a whole decides it is. Time will tell if these "investments" pay off or not. Personally I couldn't care one way or the other. I just don't get why suddenly people are thinking its going to go up / stay up, its 110% speculation.

Every time something pops up its like "only one of 5 known" or some crap, but where are they drawing those numbers from. The hobby (especially in this sense) is still young. While they are careful to use wording that is technically true (known copies, etc) it holds 0 weight, especially this early in the game. Every person making these big buys wants it known, they want to inflate the market up and cash out.

If they didn't care about them a year ago why are they suddenly going to care 10-15 years from now?

And I still stick with my opinion that the 100K purchase of mario bros previously was purely to "boost the market", WATA and HA are both making a killing right now im sure, and part of that is probably due to all the hype train on sealed games. Does anyone honestly believe that WATA / HA would be doing as well as they are right now if they never made that purchase / hyped it up ?
No you’re correct in that point. The Mario purchase. 

As as far as known copies etc. People are so scared of what’s out there unknown, hidden away. The truth of the matter is the known copies is, IMO, pretty accurate. Relatively speaking of course. Warehouse finds are so unlikely at this point. The process 30 years ago is the same as today. Items are liquidated. They don’t sit around until Indiana Jones comes looking for them. 

The Atwood find really speaks to this point. He was hired in the late 90’s to clear out an old JC Penny’s. If he hadn’t decided to keep those 1800 or whatever sealed games, they would have went the way of the dodo bird. I really don’t think we’re going to see any significant finds. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so. The series of events that would have had to have happened for these games to remain hidden is crazy. The bounty that people have had on games should have brought more out, and at times it did, but it was onesy, twosy situations. People have been offering 5 figures for games for years and very few have been found. 

Oct 18 at 4:02:21 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Originally posted by: snk2d4ever

What's the membership fee to join the VGC and where do I sign up?
I don't know what VGC is but it sounds cool.  Can I join?

Yes, 2 questions first:

Are you a dentist?
Do you have $1M USD?

Oct 18 at 4:11:00 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

I always kind of find these things amusing....Its kind of like "I paid this much so therefor its worth this much". But is it? Something is only worth as much as the market as a whole decides it is. Time will tell if these "investments" pay off or not. Personally I couldn't care one way or the other. I just don't get why suddenly people are thinking its going to go up / stay up, its 110% speculation.

Every time something pops up its like "only one of 5 known" or some crap, but where are they drawing those numbers from. The hobby (especially in this sense) is still young. While they are careful to use wording that is technically true (known copies, etc) it holds 0 weight, especially this early in the game. Every person making these big buys wants it known, they want to inflate the market up and cash out.

If they didn't care about them a year ago why are they suddenly going to care 10-15 years from now?

And I still stick with my opinion that the 100K purchase of mario bros previously was purely to "boost the market", WATA and HA are both making a killing right now im sure, and part of that is probably due to all the hype train on sealed games. Does anyone honestly believe that WATA / HA would be doing as well as they are right now if they never made that purchase / hyped it up ?

As as far as known copies etc. People are so scared of what’s out there unknown, hidden away. The truth of the matter is the known copies is, IMO, pretty accurate. Relatively speaking of course. Warehouse finds are so unlikely at this point. The process 30 years ago is the same as today. Items are liquidated. They don’t sit around until Indiana Jones comes looking for them. 

The Atwood find really speaks to this point. He was hired in the late 90’s to clear out an old JC Penny’s. If he hadn’t decided to keep those 1800 or whatever sealed games, they would have went the way of the dodo bird. I really don’t think we’re going to see any significant finds. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so. The series of events that would have had to have happened for these games to remain hidden is crazy. The bounty that people have had on games should have brought more out, and at times it did, but it was onesy, twosy situations. People have been offering 5 figures for games for years and very few have been found. 

Ya I dont necessarily mean a giant warehouse of stuff, but lets say for example "1 of only 5 known copies", so another turns up, now its 1 of 6, another copy, 1 of 7, etc. At what point does the value diminish. Even now we still hear about new stuff popping up, some of that is just because of how much they are pushing out the values (which is a bit ironic, push hard about "how much you paid" more people look and hey suddenly a new one pops up...), example being that kid icarus that showed up.

The higher the value / more aware the public is about stuff the more thats going to pop up.

Obviously this is not to say that any more WILL pop up, but sealed being "mainstream" has been...what, a year? If that? Hobby is still young, starting to believe "no more of these will turn up" seems like a logical fallacy

I guess I take it as "1 out of only X known copies!" holds little weight and is coming across more as a belief that the statement will hold true (and no more will show up)

Oct 18 at 4:20:54 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Atwood alone could blow up a "1 out of 5" games exist situation. He could have a case or multiple cases just stashed away.

-------------------------
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 18 at 4:22:18 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Ya I dont necessarily mean a giant warehouse of stuff, but lets say for example "1 of only 5 known copies", so another turns up, now its 1 of 6, another copy, 1 of 7, etc. At what point does the value diminish. Even now we still hear about new stuff popping up, some of that is just because of how much they are pushing out the values (which is a bit ironic, push hard about "how much you paid" more people look and hey suddenly a new one pops up...), example being that kid icarus that showed up.

The higher the value / more aware the public is about stuff the more thats going to pop up.

Obviously this is not to say that any more WILL pop up, but sealed being "mainstream" has been...what, a year? If that? Hobby is still young, starting to believe "no more of these will turn up" seems like a logical fallacy

I guess I take it as "1 out of only X known copies!" holds little weight and is coming across more as a belief that the statement will hold true (and no more will show up)

For the new collectors it’s all about population. They can’t believe some of these games only have a handful of sealed copies. But it’s reality. It’s all relative tho. They’re banking on new collectors coming in and demand increasing. To use Action Comics 1 as a reference I thinks there’s like 65 in CGC’s pop report. Something like that, and it’s a $1M book. That 65 number is incredibly rare in their world.  

So, when they see and hear of games with under 10 known populations they can’t fathom it. They see massive opportunity. And they’re right. But, it will take many more collectitors with deep pockets to approach comic prices. That’s what they are banking on and they very well might be right. Which is precisely why you’re seeing these hype articles. Every one draws in a few new collectors. 

This is precisely why I keep saying the delta between sealed and CIB needs to close. There are not enough sealed games to go around. There just isn’t. 

Oct 18 at 4:23:22 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Atwood alone could blow up a "1 out of 5" games exist situation. He could have a case or multiple cases just stashed away.
Could? Lol

Oct 18 at 4:23:38 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
I guess I'd rather wealthy dentists have this for a hobby rather than shooting preserve lions with an underpowered weapon.

Oct 18 at 4:30:21 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

I guess I'd rather wealthy dentists have this for a hobby rather than shooting preserve lions with an underpowered weapon.
Close the thread down. A winner is you

Oct 18 at 6:03:16 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
I'm getting a whiff of envy in the thread. Weren't prices insane when guys like me came in and "took over" early this decade?

Y'all did the hard work setting up "the list" discovering all of those major variants, five screws, hangtabs, and oddball Unlicensed stuff...then we came in and just want "the rares" and boosted things like Stadium Events from bottom-four figures to ~$12,000 at old-peak price. When I first joined Dino Peak was #2 in price and Samson wasn't even top 4 I think....also the prices on those went up tenfold.

Now this new wave comes in and says they like stickers, Sonic, Halo, and Turtles and we're all supposed to be surprised that their money is changing the hobby.

Not gonna lie, it's sucks that I missed out on stuff, sold some stuff for not even 1% of its value today (Like one of the worlds most pristine sealed FFF-Athletic Worlds) but that's the hobby we're in.

The only difference between the new guys and the previous wave of collectors is there's a double the speculation and half the nostalgia involved*

*actual figures may vary.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Oct 18 at 6:17:07 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Scrobins09

It's just a matter of time before someone pulls a Bill Murray; someone will buy a rare, great condition, graded, sealed, CIB, only to open it up in front of the buyer and eat the box.

New life goal.

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Oct 18 at 6:32:45 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: PowerPlayers

I'm getting a whiff of envy in the thread. Weren't prices insane when guys like me came in and "took over" early this decade?

Y'all did the hard work setting up "the list" discovering all of those major variants, five screws, hangtabs, and oddball Unlicensed stuff...then we came in and just want "the rares" and boosted things like Stadium Events from bottom-four figures to ~$12,000 at old-peak price. When I first joined Dino Peak was #2 in price and Samson wasn't even top 4 I think....also the prices on those went up tenfold.

Now this new wave comes in and says they like stickers, Sonic, Halo, and Turtles and we're all supposed to be surprised that their money is changing the hobby.

Not gonna lie, it's sucks that I missed out on stuff, sold some stuff for not even 1% of its value today (Like one of the worlds most pristine sealed FFF-Athletic Worlds) but that's the hobby we're in.

The only difference between the new guys and the previous wave of collectors is there's a double the speculation and half the nostalgia involved*

*actual figures may vary.

No man I’m def not envious. I would actually have spent that money much differently. That’s where experience comes in. But all the power to the VGC. 

Oct 18 at 6:54:00 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

For the new collectors it’s all about population. They can’t believe some of these games only have a handful of sealed copies. But it’s reality. It’s all relative tho. They’re banking on new collectors coming in and demand increasing. To use Action Comics 1 as a reference I thinks there’s like 65 in CGC’s pop report. Something like that, and it’s a $1M book. That 65 number is incredibly rare in their world.  

So, when they see and hear of games with under 10 known populations they can’t fathom it. They see massive opportunity. And they’re right. But, it will take many more collectitors with deep pockets to approach comic prices. That’s what they are banking on and they very well might be right. Which is precisely why you’re seeing these hype articles. Every one draws in a few new collectors. 

This is precisely why I keep saying the delta between sealed and CIB needs to close. There are not enough sealed games to go around. There just isn’t. 

This is tricky lingo, IMO. Sealed is not the total pop. If there are ~65 known copies of Action Comics #1 — in any condition. When the article says:

...the Video Game Club obtained sticker-sealed, black-box copies of Nintendo Entertainment System games “Mario Bros.” arcade edition (1986), the two known copies of “Golf” (1985), the only known copy of “Balloon Fight” (1986) and the only known copy of “Gumshoe” (1986)
that is really poorly worded. Makes it sound like there is only one known copy each of Balloon Fight and Gumshoe (and only two of Golf, lol I'll sell mine for "half price") in the whole world. We know they mean sealed, first prints; the comparison should rather be to M/NM (or 8.0+ or 9+ or whatever) copies of Action #1.

Y'all did the hard work setting up "the list" discovering all of those major variants, five screws, hangtabs, and oddball Unlicensed stuff...
I'm not reading any envy whatsoever from those people. Could you point to what any of them said like that?

Oct 18 at 7:00:34 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
To literally single out anyone is kind of hard. It's more of just a general feeling that Im picking up that the community as a whole looks at the new wave of collectors as a negative thing, and there's a bit of resentment or remorse for missing out.

Maybe I'm reading into it wrong, but I can't help but feel that there's some kind of funk in the air, though it could just be under my shoe if there really is no resentment here.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Oct 18 at 7:33:02 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >

To literally single out anyone is kind of hard. It's more of just a general feeling that Im picking up that the community as a whole looks at the new wave of collectors as a negative thing, and there's a bit of resentment or remorse for missing out.

Maybe I'm reading into it wrong, but I can't help but feel that there's some kind of funk in the air, though it could just be under my shoe if there really is no resentment here.

You're not imagining anything, even if it's tough for people to admit. It's impossible not to feel some envy when someone (or a small group of people) can drop a million bucks on something so many of us would cherish. And it's hard not to be at least a little resentful when speculators start stepping on your toes. These are normal reactions to this kind of stuff.

That being said, I definitely DON'T want a bunch of sealed games in bigass cases clogging up my collecting area. I would, however, take the cold hard cash. 😁

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Oct 18 at 7:36:00 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: gunpei

When the article says:
...the Video Game Club obtained sticker-sealed, black-box copies of Nintendo Entertainment System games “Mario Bros.” arcade edition (1986), the two known copies of “Golf” (1985), the only known copy of “Balloon Fight” (1986) and the only known copy of “Gumshoe” (1986)
that is really poorly worded. Makes it sound like there is only one known copy each of Balloon Fight and Gumshoe (and only two of Golf, lol I'll sell mine for "half price") in the whole world.

The idea that someone could read this article, search through their old Nintendo tapes, and think they found the second remaining copy of Gumshoe in the world is hilarious to me.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Oct 18 at 7:44:35 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: DoctorEncore

You're not imagining anything, even if it's tough for people to admit. It's impossible not to feel some envy when someone (or a small group of people) can drop a million bucks on something so many of us would cherish. And it's hard not to be at least a little resentful when speculators start stepping on your toes. These are normal reactions to this kind of stuff. That being said, I definitely DON'T want a bunch of sealed games in bigass cases clogging up my collecting area. I would, however, take the cold hard cash. 😁

100% have always been jealous and resentful of people who own SE as a trophy piece who don't collect the NES set when there's so many of us who need one to fill the gap. I've always thought it "should" be the capstone of a US NES set, not a random r@re game to show off. But I know that's just my way of thinking and jealousy, some people just like the "good" stuff.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Oct 18 at 7:55:50 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Eh you should reach an age when you realize money is not your limiting resource on this Earth, its time. These are all just games and dollars, you can always get more. Were all stuck with a finite amount of time though and you can't get that back.

What bothers me is the hype and exploitation angle. If you have a nice game you dont need to hype anything, people will find you. It's just so artificial at this point and you can read the ulterior motives. Buy, pump, hype, recruit. Repeat. The growth is so forced, if people had their way they would buy today, sell tomorrow and expect to do that over and over with profits. Its not about the games at all, it's about using them as a means to and end to profit. And personally I find that a bit sad.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 18 at 7:56:14 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

You're not imagining anything, even if it's tough for people to admit. It's impossible not to feel some envy when someone (or a small group of people) can drop a million bucks on something so many of us would cherish. And it's hard not to be at least a little resentful when speculators start stepping on your toes. These are normal reactions to this kind of stuff. That being said, I definitely DON'T want a bunch of sealed games in bigass cases clogging up my collecting area. I would, however, take the cold hard cash. 😁

It’s not impossible at all. There are plenty of people with the means to drop that kind of money on games and choose not to. 

It’s always the go to when people are critical of others. “Oh you’re jealous” or “You’re just salty”. Nope, not at at all thanks. Other people aren’t allowed to tell me how I feel. 

I believe every game they “amassed” came from NA members. While I don’t believe I’ve ever owned any of these games I was able to celebrate with some of the sellers when they had the original find, or shared in their joy when they showed me pictures of them over the years, so in fact I’m not resentful. I’ve already enjoyed these games. I’m happy people I consider friends are happy with their sales. I hope the new owners enjoy them and appreciate what they have. That remains to be seen. 

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 08:07 PM by MinusWorlds

Oct 18 at 8:09:47 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: jonebone

Eh you should reach an age when you realize money is not your limiting resource on this Earth, its time. These are all just games and dollars, you can always get more. Were all stuck with a finite amount of time though and you can't get that back.

What bothers me is the hype and exploitation angle. If you have a nice game you dont need to hype anything, people will find you. It's just so artificial at this point and you can read the ulterior motives. Buy, pump, hype, recruit. Repeat. The growth is so forced, if people had their way they would buy today, sell tomorrow and expect to do that over and over with profits. Its not about the games at all, it's about using them as a means to and end to profit. And personally I find that a bit sad.

I think most people are coming around to this point of view. It’s just so painfully obvious what’s going on, who is involved, and how they’re playing the situation.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 18 at 8:17:14 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

You're not imagining anything, even if it's tough for people to admit. It's impossible not to feel some envy when someone (or a small group of people) can drop a million bucks on something so many of us would cherish. And it's hard not to be at least a little resentful when speculators start stepping on your toes. These are normal reactions to this kind of stuff. 
Sure, but I don't detect any malaise coming from people who did the referenced hard work that PowerPlayers is talking about.

I guess from later comers to the scene, maybe it is funny, or remarkable, in the described way, because they (we) were a step on the path to where we're at now. Like gentrification but for Nintender tapes. 
But I don't see any such complaints from old guard folks ITT. I don't think I ever have; they're usually pretty secure in that, whether because they got theirs early or they understand best that this is just how it goes. 

Oct 18 at 8:24:24 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >

You're like my spirit animal JoneBone. Totally agree with most everything you post.

Oct 18 at 10:58:20 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts

Well said. 

Oct 18 at 11:03:34 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
It's getting tiring reading all the omg value articles. Who cares? Waters down the hobby. Can't imagine spending $1M on video games. I'd rather a house.

Oct 19 at 12:37:55 AM
jonest3 (51)
(Taylor ) < Crack Trooper >
Tennessee