Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2013 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Winter Tournament: Round 1 - Galaga Round 1 ends Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 11 PM NA time

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:49:34 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to round 1 of the Winter Tournament!  The game for round 1 is going to be an arcade classic and will be Galaga.  Contestants, please read the rules very carefully for your tier.  Failure to play by the correct rules could result in your score being disqualified.  Here are the rules for each tier:

Tier 1
  • 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins

Tier 2

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins

Tier 3
  • 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins

As you can see, everyone is going to play by the same rules in Round 1   Remember, the top 6 scores in each tier will advance to round 2.

The contest ends Sunday, 1/5/14 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

Here's the official tournament thread for all the details on the tournament itself, plus a place for smack talk

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...

THE CONTESTANTS

TIER 1
bearcat-doug
CLAYB1RD
gutsman004
Krunch
mattyjmania
Notrevania
rdrunner

TIER 2
babywuchki
Caleb47
dev(2)
EgasKrad
link463
smick
sunsetflip84
Thundercat08

TIER 3
fatalfuryspecial
hitmantommy
Logo1285
MegaMartyr
ookii_risu
Space Jockey
treismac
TWarwick07

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 01/06/2014 at 12:26 AM by bimmy_lee

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:54:58 PM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Mmmm Galaga. I love the game but I'm not very good at it, even after constantly playing it since it was released. Let's see what we can do. Good luck everyone!

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:15:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: babywuchki

Mmmm Galaga. I love the game but I'm not very good at it, even after constantly playing it since it was released. Let's see what we can do. Good luck everyone!

Been playing this game in some form or fashion since I was 5 or 6. Good choice for the first round!

Btw,I'm not sure if it is in this version of the game,but I know a lot of versions of Galaga have a "no enemies shoot" trick. So if this version has it,it probably should be forbidden.

Edited: 12/29/2013 at 02:40 PM by gutsman004

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:40:03 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
galaga hmm...things could be worse

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:51:35 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
And to think it's one I actually own. Kinda disappointed in myself. I'll probably play it anyway and post in here to compare how it goes with the rest of the tier I was in (Tier 3). I'm just glad Mog isn't playing, that guy is a beast at this.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:55:46 PM
babywuchki (90)
United States
This is bottom of the barrel but I like when scores get posted early so we can actually compete against each other, as opposed to posting high scores at the end of the week that nobody has time to try to best.

It's Sunday, there's no meaningful football on, there's no new episodes of any worthwhile shows, let's get some baseline scores going!
babywuchki - 91,850

Edited: 12/29/2013 at 09:43 PM by babywuchki

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:57:52 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

And to think it's one I actually own. Kinda disappointed in myself. I'll probably play it anyway and post in here to compare how it goes with the rest of the tier I was in (Tier 3). I'm just glad Mog isn't playing, that guy is a beast at this.

Well if ag1052 doesn't confirm,I would think that would pave the way for you to join the fun perhaps...

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:00:36 PM
Space Jockey (145)
Washington
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Well if ag1052 doesn't confirm,I would think that would pave the way for you to join the fun perhaps...

That is a possibility.  At least that way no one will get a week 1 bye.

On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:49:46 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I don't own this one, perfect time to pick it up. Always see this in an arcade split with Ms. Pac-Man. I am better at eating than at shooting.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:54:59 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

That is a possibility.  At least that way no one will get a week 1 bye.

x2 QFT

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:43:56 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
update: 1/5/15 12:38am

Edited: 01/05/2014 at 12:38 AM by treismac

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:54:43 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I'll post a score later tonight. I had one earlier,but I wasn't satisfied with it.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:09:40 AM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Woo hooo!!! Galaga!! First score to be posted tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:12:55 AM
Space Jockey (145)
Washington
IM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:19:13 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Space Jockey is in for tier 3 in place of ag1052. EoTN will not be able to participate and a last second participant is pending to replace him.  Still have not heard back from guillavoie.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 12/30/2013 at 12:20 AM by bimmy_lee

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:49:45 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Space Jockey is in for tier 3 in place of ag1052. EoTN will not be able to participate and a last second participant is pending to replace him.  Still have not heard back from guillavoie.

Wow,lots of moving pieces here. Kind of surprised with Guillavoie. I remember last tourney he was unable to post an NG 2 score. Maybe lightning striking twice?

Edit: This has got to be the difficult version of the arcade port as I don't remember the arcade being this cheap and numerous with the bullets until in the way later rounds. Still pissed off at my score. I'd rather not post one at all if I can't improve as this is an embarassment.

Edited: 12/30/2013 at 01:34 AM by gutsman004

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:23:02 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

Wow,lots of moving pieces here. Kind of surprised with Guillavoie. I remember last tourney he was unable to post an NG 2 score. Maybe lightning striking twice? Edit: This has got to be the difficult version of the arcade port as I don't remember the arcade being this cheap and numerous with the bullets until in the way later rounds. Still pissed off at my score. I'd rather not post one at all if I can't improve as this is an embarassment.

Guillavoie where are you?

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:13:41 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: dev(2)

Wow,lots of moving pieces here. Kind of surprised with Guillavoie. I remember last tourney he was unable to post an NG 2 score. Maybe lightning striking twice? Edit: This has got to be the difficult version of the arcade port as I don't remember the arcade being this cheap and numerous with the bullets until in the way later rounds. Still pissed off at my score. I'd rather not post one at all if I can't improve as this is an embarassment.

Guil?  Hope you're still in this thing.  Wouldn't be the same without you!

Gutsman, not sure if this is the "difficult" version of the arcade or not.  I personally always found the arcade to be harder.  On NES I can take out almost everything with my double fighter as the enemies come onto the screen.  Not so much on arcade, where they come in a lot faster.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:05:38 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
I'm kinda glad he's gone honestly, easier competition for us, Ammirite folks?????

(jokes)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:30:17 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Gutsman, not sure if this is the "difficult" version of the arcade or not.  I personally always found the arcade to be harder.  On NES I can take out almost everything with my double fighter as the enemies come onto the screen.  Not so much on arcade, where they come in a lot faster.

Last online12/28 call the FBI/CIA

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:09:18 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

EoTN will not be able to participate and a last second participant is pending to replace him.
I guess that means I'm back in. I'm starting to feel like the NA version of Brett Favre.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:14:27 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I personally always found the arcade to be harder.  On NES I can take out almost everything with my double fighter as the enemies come onto the screen.  Not so much on arcade, where they come in a lot faster.

I played this a ton as a kid in the arcades (and used to be really good at it), but I never really compared it to the NES version. The game store up the street from me has a Galaga arcade cabinet so maybe I should go over there this week and play it to see if it seems faster.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:04:57 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida

My first score. I will be playing nothing but this and Minecraft most of this week. I'm going to push towards a 500k score.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:14:39 PM
babywuchki (90)
United States

Wow,lots of moving pieces here. Kind of surprised with Guillavoie. I remember last tourney he was unable to post an NG 2 score. Maybe lightning striking twice? 

Someone call the Mountiees ans get a search party going. What's the Canadian equivalent of an Amber alert? We need a national G Alert.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:28:28 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: babywuchki

Someone call the Mountiees ans get a search party going. What's the Canadian equivalent of an Amber alert? We need a national G Alert.

Fuck the ultimate warrior i  gave this guy a call. He is the leader of the search party that started 5 minutes ago.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Edited: 12/30/2013 at 12:29 PM by Dennis Fleaman