Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Was the AVS inspired by this NES mod work?

May 9, 2017 at 2:59:41 AM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
I saw this video years ago, before any AVS pics were ever shown. I thought it was an amazing mod. Now I'm wondering though, was this an inspiration for the AVS to have front loading NES carts and top loading Famicom carts?  

Edit: I almost forgot about the Generation NEX from 2005, which I'm sure this modder got his inspiration from to do this mod. So maybe I should be asking, did the AVS get inspiration from the Generation NEX?

-------------------------
I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 05/09/2017 at 03:01 AM by roadkill

May 9, 2017 at 11:43:51 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
It went through a lot of design choices​. I imagine the side loading slot was done to resemble the original NES and to accommodate the FDS RAM adapter. Famicom slot was toploading so you​ can pull the cartridge​ out easily (and for the aforementioned adapter, since it uses the FC slot.)

Edited: 05/09/2017 at 11:45 AM by Tulpa

May 9, 2017 at 5:15:03 PM
SmaMan (0)
(Smalliard Manning) < Crack Trooper >
Oklahoma
I remember reading that the AVS's design was inspired by the old NES prototype sketches.

That's also where they got the name, Advanced Video System, which was the working name for the North American Console.

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Edited: 05/09/2017 at 05:17 PM by SmaMan

May 9, 2017 at 5:39:08 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Tulpa

It went through a lot of design choices​. I imagine the side loading slot was done to resemble the original NES and to accommodate the FDS RAM adapter. Famicom slot was toploading so you​ can pull the cartridge​ out easily (and for the aforementioned adapter, since it uses the FC slot.)

yeah, it's also a brilliant way to avoid having two carts in at once, which I would imagine could harm the system

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

May 9, 2017 at 11:41:40 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Bert

yeah, it's also a brilliant way to avoid having two carts in at once, which I would imagine could harm the system

There are some dual-slot clones/counterfeits where the NES slot overrides the Famicom slot.

The "Zoga" can hide a Famicom multicart inside to give the appearance of built-in games when you don't have an NES cart loaded.

Edited: 05/09/2017 at 11:42 PM by Ichinisan

May 9, 2017 at 11:44:56 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

There are some dual-slot clones/counterfeits where the NES slot overrides the Famicom slot.

The "Zoga" can hide a Famicom multicart inside to give the appearance of built-in games when you don't have an NES cart loaded.

width="500" height="280" frameborder="0" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KM9..." allowfullscreen="">>

hiding the multicart is a really smart idea actually. Crazy the stuff you find in these clones

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

May 10, 2017 at 12:17:36 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
My original idea is from the discman with the big door that opens and you see the whole CD.  Getting the cart door big was a main goal because I think the little top loading flaps are ugly.  Famicom cart design means it can never really be hidden like NES carts.  The initial sketches far predate the NEX, but one was torn apart at design meetings   

Possibly as early as 1997:

2012:

2013:

May 10, 2017 at 12:34:15 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

My original idea is from the discman with the big door that opens and you see the whole CD.  Getting the cart door big was a main goal because I think the little top loading flaps are ugly.  Famicom cart design means it can never really be hidden like NES carts.  The initial sketches far predate the NEX, but one was torn apart at design meetings   

2012:

2013:

How much did you pay for that thing of guacamole from chipotle? I recall it was around 2013 that they started charging out the ass for guacamole !🤣
Also, how do I get a job working for you?😜

P.s. I love my AVS!

May 10, 2017 at 2:14:02 AM
roadkill (1)
Pennsylvania

I had actually been thinking about that lately. But then thought, what if someone were to open up an NES cart, insert the NES game PCB, and then insert a Famicom cart? I'm sure it would fit that way, and I'm curious as to how the AVS would handle it.

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

2012:

2013:

Woah those are some awesome first concept pics!

I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 05/10/2017 at 02:23 AM by roadkill

May 10, 2017 at 2:17:35 AM
roadkill (1)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

That's actually not a bad NES/Famicom clone which has a slightly better build quality than most clones (although that's not saying much). Its NOAC isn't that bad either, I wouldn't mind buying one but not for $50. I like the idea that Jason mentions in the video, which is to insert a Famicom EverDrive into the hidden Famicom slot inside of it and leave it in there so you could just turn the console on and play it like that, and then when you want to play your NES library it'll just simply bypass the EverDrive.

Btw, he mistakenly thinks the red RCA jack is for RF output, but it's really not. It outputs mono sound just like the white RCA output so you can have dual mono. An honest mistake though, I don't know why they put an "RF Output" sticker above it.

Edited: 05/10/2017 at 02:29 AM by roadkill