Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

THE KING OF KONG comments about this documentary

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:13:36 PM
8bitking (16)
(Greg Kittle) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio

OK, so I saw this special when it originally aired on G4 on June 1st...it was on again today and rekindled my interest on this affair.  If you havent seen it, it documents the amazing high score feats of one Billy Mitchell and his biggest competition Steve Wiebe in the original Donkey Kong arcade game.  It is a very well done documentary and it comes highly recommended from me for any classic gaming fan!!! Post your comments here, (such as Billy Mitchell is gaming's biggest Douche Nozzel) and share your experience with this dramatic documentary...

you can also check out their high scores on twinglaxies.com

-------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4... = BEST COMMERCIAL EVVVvAAAAARRR!!!!!!

Edited: 07/14/2008 at 01:15 PM by 8bitking

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:08:24 PM
Nistle (94)
(Dustin Lett) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
This is really a great movie. I have seen it several times. I too would recommend it to any gaming fan.

NES Collection: 83.73% Completed

Carts: 709/766
Manuals: 616/765
Boxes: 594/761

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:10:23 PM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:16:22 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I actually purchased this I liked it so much. I figured it was my small contribution to keep movies like this coming.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:33:42 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
Still need to check this movie out, can't seem to find it locally.

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:13:51 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I got mine from Amazon.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:28:47 PM
TFGZ (7)
(Game Citadel) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Netflix has it in the watch instantly gallery, but I still haven't gotten around to watching it.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:10:43 PM
NESJohnny (52)
(Johnny Johnny) < Kraid Killer >
California
^I'd recommend making time for it tonight, you'll be happy you did!

I saw this with my wife, she loved it to. It's hysterical. Which may make it our most successful date that somehow centers around video games.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:03:06 PM
NickyP (0)
(Nicky P) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
LoL they need to make a will farrel/ben stiller movie about those tools. I could totaly see ben stiller as Billy Mitchell

"If someone says you're ugly, tell them you're not an ugly human but a good looking ape with advanced speech skills."

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:39:31 PM
burnambill333 (0)
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I saw this movie and thought it was decent. I didn't think it was phenomenal but it was worth my time and money to see it.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:37:45 AM
barkley (0)
(Barkley Barkley) < Crack Trooper >
France
Yeah I still want to beat that score This movie made me play this game better, I couldn't past level 2 before.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:51:58 PM
Chad Burger (4)
(Chad Burger) < Eggplant Wizard >
Australia
Ive been following this saga on Twin Galaxies as well for the last few years its really great stuff. The doco is great and I love it but Twin Galaxies disputes the way it was cut to make Billy Mitchell appear more of an arse then he may be (I still think hes a tit though). In the doco they make it appear that Billy refused to ever meet Steve face to face but that apparently was just not so, as him and Steve met a few times over the period this doco covers, but these were just not mentioned in the doco thus making Mitchell appear to be just a bit more of an arse clown then he actually may be. Also a few events as portrayed in the doco actually occured at different times and were edited to suit the story the film-makers wanted to tell even though this was a bit different to what actually happended (apparently). I know that a doco could never be totally impartial but I felt just a really really tiny bit ripped off when I found it was not the 100% exact way it really went down...i know Im splitting hairs but I like to know exactly whats going on when something as important as arcade world record score dramas are going down... whos with me here??? (tumbleweed.....crickets...) well its important to me anyway..

Still the best bit of doco-drama Ive ever seen, highly entertaining. The dvd extras are particularly interesting (especially for me, and anyone like me who has an interest in classic arcade gaming) there are interviews with the world record holders in a few classic arcade games like Burgertime, Crystal Castles... these guys are real characters and as sad/funny as they are I just love that these guys have been documented for all time here. They are my heros.

Mighty Warrior Of Metal

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:33:38 PM
matt163201 (2)
(Matt K) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
If you havent seen this movie, here it is for download

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/39814...

And to make it even better, DO THIS while watching it!

http://www.moviecynics.com/item/1...

Edited: 07/16/2008 at 03:11 PM by matt163201

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:09:21 PM
Chad Burger (4)
Australia
arrrgghh... im prolly in for a flaming here

I wasnt going to say anything but Ive had a few scotches so fuck it, it gets me riled when people call geeky guys like these loosers and take the piss out of them in a really mean way... I mean its sort of hard not to laugh at them a bit but god these guys have just got really into something to the point of not caring about much else and I love it that they dont give a fuck about much else... it pisses me off when people get harsh about pulling the piss out of these people cos if they had have dedicated themselves to being into something like cool band nerds or sports nerds or whatever nerds then people wouldnt laugh as much as seeing them as arcade game nerds.... errr yeah!

thats enough of me soapboxing my gripes (and displaying my own neurosis) for one night i think....END RANT.

Mighty Warrior Of Metal

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:37:32 PM
NickyP (0)
Colorado
LoL the guy has a mullet, makes chicken wing sauce for a living, and holds the high score for donkey kong. If he didn't take himself seriously it wouldn't be so funny LoL

"If someone says you're ugly, tell them you're not an ugly human but a good looking ape with advanced speech skills."

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:53:32 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^ says the guy posting on an internet forum centered around a 25 old video game console.

Yes billy is hilarious to watch in that movie, but the guy owns his own company and is (one of) the best in the world at a very popular game. When I think of "losers" I picture the hobos I have to step over on my way to work...

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:12:11 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ To be fair, he DOES have a mullet, and it is no longer 1985.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:54:39 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I'm with you on this one, Chad. I have a ton of respect for anyone that is that passionate about something, even if it is being the high score holder of Donkey Kong. The only real sad part is seeing Wiebe's family suffer a bit. That's got to be hell for them having their dad/husband sit in that garage for hours on end going for the gold. Hopefully after seeing the documentary do well, they're a bit more understanding of it all.

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:16:21 PM
NickyP (0)
Colorado
I'm passionate about laughing at people with mullets and people that neglect their children to get a high score in donkey kong...

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:19:08 PM
matt163201 (2)
(Matt K) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
This drinking game is to be played with The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and some beer or whatever geeks drink when they're getting ready for a big gaming session.

1 drink – Every time you see a blank psychopath stare from Billy Mitchell
1 drink – every time you see a score on a video game
1 drink – every time you see Mario jump over a barrel
1 drink – every time someone says "Twin Galaxies"
1 drink – every time you laugh because someone is such a loser
1 drink – every time you see the word "Rickey's"

The Kill Screen Challenge: "Kill your beer every time someone says "kill screen." Warning: This may be impossible to do for anyone but the biggest alcoholics.

The King of Bad Taste: Take a drink every time you see Billy Mitchell adjust his hair or tie. Facing hot sauce also counts. When Billy gives a thumbs up, that means kill your beer.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:25:32 AM
Chad Burger (4)
Australia
^^ha! I also found that drinking game last night. I can drink a fair bit but if you play strictly by the rules on that one youd be plastered...which is the point I suppose..

There is no denying Billy has a splendid/terrifying mullet (blow dries it!! that made me spill my beer!) and is a weird diven guy...at the same time its very clearly a carefully chosen image he constructs for himself with his own goals in mind (was he trying to freak the other guys out? Dress for success sot of thing? hes been dressing like that for years not just for the time this doco covers)... has anyone ever had his hot sauce here? Ive spoken to many people who say its awesome... Id love to get my hands on some

And theres no denying Steve is focused on that game to the point where his family was hurting and that for me was hard to watch as well..

I guess the point I was dancing arond before was that if people focus on something like being the best basketball player or writer or piano player then people go "oh how great of them" even if they neglect the rest of their lives but if you go for the DK high score and do the same its more a cause for criticism. I think whatever your into is valid (exept serial killing, thats not cool) I admire their dedication.

I dont think anyone should ever neglect their families (whether DK, basketball or rockstardom is the reason) I was just commenting on how it would seem to be a little more acceptable for one reason then another.... err...yeah

Mighty Warrior Of Metal

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:30:37 AM
Dukert27 (42)
(Chris Falkner) < El Ripper >
Arkansas
you can also download from www.isohunt.com...

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:49:08 AM
NESJohnny (52)
(Johnny Johnny) < Kraid Killer >
California
My wife and I bought it tonight and watched it with some friends. Man that movie is awesome. I can't wait to laze around tomorrow and watch the special features. Hope they're good, I'll report on that.

Came home and played some Donkey Kong. High Score was 40,000 I'm not at all serious about playing DK when I pop it in, but it sure is fun every time.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:59:09 AM
Chad Burger (4)
Australia
the special features were really great in this case, really adding to the film. The film makers commentary I found particularly insightful

Mighty Warrior Of Metal

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:12:31 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I haven't had a chance to open my copy and watch it yet...I'm excited!