Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The "champ" comes back... ...and is gonna get his ass Beat

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:47:02 PM
!damage! (71)
(Dane .) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-couture090208&p...

hes a good fighter, but I think lesnars gonna beat his old ass into the ground

-------------------------
Dibin: I'm here for tits.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:59:57 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
I almost posted this yesterday, but didn't think there were enough fight fans to spark off some good discussion. Before watching Lesnar destroy Heath Herring, I would have thought that Randy won this fight 9 out of 10 times. Now I'm not so sure that Captain America can pull it off.

I hope for the best. When Couture beat Tim Sylvia for the belt last year, my living room was madness. I hope he can do it again.

Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:10:13 PM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
sylvia has nothing but his reach and is far past his good days, too many people have found out his weakness (getting in close and taking it to the ground) once hes on the ground hes like a giraffe with a broken leg, worthless

lesnars a big dood and is definitely training his ass off since his first fight with (the guy that broke sylvias arm, can't think of his name off hand)

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:52:09 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Tim is a lot better than you're making him out to be, and I don't think you pinpointed his "weakness". The only people to stop him on the ground were:

Frank Mir: Mir didn't get Tim to the ground with a take down, Tim took him down and got caught in an armbar

Arlovski: Ended with an achilles hold after a knock down punch

Randy: Randy won with take downs, but even a 6 time champ in Couture went 5 rounds with Tim and couldn't put him away.

Nog: Tim made a horrible choice and neglected to keep the fight standing after beating Nog's ass the whole fight.

Fedor: Again, submitted after being knocked down in a stand up exchange.

Tim beat Monson to a pulp and his abu dabi credentials are top notch. Ricco looked invincible when Tim ran through him (Top 5 on every list you could find) and to this day is one of the best Heavy Weight BJJ practitioners in the MMA game, he didn't do too good of a job getting in close and taking Tim down.

I've gone to a bunch of live UFC's and have been a member of Sherdog (the biggest MMA community) since 2004, way before The Ultimate Fighter tv show brought in a bunch of know nothing retards.

I'm worried about Randy's age and his ring rust, nothing else. The odds of Lesnar winning a stand-up exchange are slim to none, and he isn't going to pull off any subs with 2 years of BJJ under his belt.

Randy has had mixed results with super sized heavy weights in the past with his losses to Ricco and Barnett, but both of those have some notes worth mentioning...

Randy kicked Ricco's ass up and down for 4 straight rounds before Ricco got on top of him and broke his orbital, and Barnett tested positive for juice when he beat Randy and hasn't returned to the UFC since.

Where does Lesnar win this fight? If history tells us anything, Greco Wrestlers (Randy, Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland, Rulon Gardner, etc.) have had MUCH more successful transitions to MMA than freestyle wrestlers like Lesnar.

I'm not saying its impossible, but smart money is on Captain America.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:00:09 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Had to post a picture of me with The Natural taken waaaaaaaaay back at UFC 45:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:06:56 PM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
i've been watching the ufc since about #3 or 4, back in the royce gracie days

tim is way overrated, he has nothing but his reach and his height to his advantage,

lesnar is gonna steam roll right over that old man and he'll never know what hit him

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:26:36 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: !damage!

i've been watching the ufc since about #3 or 4, back in the royce gracie days

Photobucket

You mean this guy?

Anyway, if you've been following it consistently since UFC 3 or 4, you'd remember Frank Mir's name.  This ain't wrassling, and the big dude with the giant penis tattooed on his chest is 2-1 in MMA right now.  If you think smart money is on him you are CRAZY.

Lesnar is a big dude that believes his own hype.  Add in the fact that he has great speed and strong wrestling makes him a dangerous opponent.  This a huge step up in competition and I'd be shocked if he could pull it off.  That being said, I never would have thought Gonzaga would kick Mirko's head off or Griffen would manhandle Shogun, so anything can happen.

Photobucket

Edited: 09/03/2008 at 09:26 PM by MrMark0673

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:14:36 PM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

if you've been following it consistently since UFC 3 or 4, you'd remember Frank Mir's name. 

the only fight I remember with him was against sylvia when he broke his arm, because I was watching it, beyond that, never heard much about him, nor cared to find out more about him

I won't be shocked if he pulls it off, the guy is a monster, and obviously has lots of money and time to train, which is just gonna make baldy look even worse once he's beating his brains into the mat

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:21:12 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Haha, you really like Brock huh? I respect that, I've been a Randy fan boy for as long as I can remember and he always seems to find a way to win so its impossible for me to route against him. I'm not saying Lesnar isn't legit, and stylistically he could definitely give Randy some trouble, I just think he is too one dimensional right now and that (coupled with inexperience) is going to be the difference in this fight.

I'm dying to go to another UFC, it would be pretty sweet to meet up with some NA members at the fights. Anyone interested?

Photobucket

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:07:47 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
I'd love to meet some people at an event, but I think we live on opposite sides of the country. I almost picked up tickets to UFC 90 since it was so close, but the card wasn't really worth it.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:08:38 PM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
after seeing him run through herring, I gotta give it to him, from the mir fight (which he couldve won had he just taken a bit more time to train) to the herring fight, he's advanced quite a bit in a short amount of time (MMA wise that is), and randy, well he's getting up there with shamrock and some others

to be honest i've liked alot of different fighters, royce gracie, vitor belfort, tank abbott, ken shamrock, crocop, but lesnar is making a huge jump from WWE to UFC, and that alone says something about the guy

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:12:04 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
EDIT- I'm retarded.

Edited: 09/04/2008 at 12:47 AM by xARSEFACEx

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:19:20 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
If I don't get to watch this fight, anyone want to tape it and mail me a copy? I'm broke...

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:08:28 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Pserge, www.mmalinker.com... is your friend.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:13:56 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
ok thanks for the tip !!!

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:20:22 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
If there's one thing that Couture doesn't respond well to, it's taking a hard punch. That's the only thing that has me worried. If Lesnar can sneak in a shot like he did at the beginning of the Herring fight, I think Randy could be in some trouble. If not, Lesnar has shown that he doesn't yet have the finishing ability to take out someone like Couture. Herring had no defense for Lesnar riding him, but Brock won't be able to pull that with Randy.

What I don't understand is the fact that this is a title fight. Yes, they've always said that Couture is still the champ and that Nogueira has the "interim" belt, but having Lesnar and Couture fight a title fight completely devalues the Nogueira/Mir fight at the end of the year. It turns it into a glorified number one contender match, which isn't going to sell what should be a super shitty season of TUF.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:44:15 AM
Shags (65)
(--- Ben ---) < El Ripper >
Alaska
this fight is a ways off we should be chatting about the fights on saturday

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:41:04 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Isn't Lesnar a former Marine? (I thought that was his whole gimmick on WWE)
A dude that big trained by the USMC is a killing machine.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:41:40 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
There have been plenty of marines that haven't transitioned well to MMA. It's a sanctioned sport with specific rules, killing machine or not it doesn't guarantee success in MMA.

Randy is the product of the US army too.

Photobucket

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:58:55 AM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Randy is the product of the US army too.

back when washington was president

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:45:44 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Umm...Mark, a US Marine would wax the floor with somebody from the Army (assuming not a Ranger) any day of the week. Even against a Ranger it might still favor the Marine.

I think the transition to MMA depends on when the guy when through basic training. The Marines teach some interesting hybrid fighting styles that are very effective at disabling extremeties and killing your opponent quickly. I thought UFC was a "no rules, just right" kind of fighting as long as you gave the other guy a chance to tap out.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:49:43 AM
Peroxide (5)
( Tyler  ) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I'd say unless Lesnar has improved his ground game by a LOT he's going to lose.

Who was Couture's last fight anyways, Liddell?

I'm more excited for Liddell vs Evans on the 6th.

arch_8ngel - There are some basic rules, no low blows, not shots to the back of the head, no elbows straight down on the crown, no eye poking. Basic and realistic stuff.

Edited: 09/04/2008 at 10:51 AM by Peroxide

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:03:47 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
^ They just showed his 07 Sylvia title bout last night on Unleashed, and were referencing the Liddel fight.

I just checked wikipedia, he fought Gabriel Gonzaga after that.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:10:45 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
He busted up Gabe Gonzaga badly after the Sylvia fight. He fought most of it with a broken arm too. Randy's last fight at 205 was against Chuck.

And Arch, the dark ages of the UFC and MMA as a whole are long gone. The sport is heavily regulated and is sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

As for a Ranger being a beast in MMA, we don't have to look any further than Greg "The Ranger" Stott. Greg had one fight, against the Titan Mark Kerr and was knocked out with a knew in just 17 seconds. The whole stigma about being in any sort of armed forces and that making you some sort of force to be reckoned with is totally false. I have could wipe the floor with a few marines back in my boxing days.

That being said, many individuals who have been in the armed forces have been great in MMA (Randy, Cro Cop, Kharitonov, many others), but that is not a testament to their combat training, but their fight training. Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling and to a lesser extent Judo and TKD is what makes he difference in MMA. And not just one anymore, you have to be skilled at everything. All of the unarmed combat stuff you hear about (ie. Krav Maga) doesn't work for shit in a sanctioned fight.

Are they tough dudes? Typically. Can they do some damage in an unarmed life or death situation? Probably. Would I be nervous for a second if I were to get in the ring with someone just because they were a marine? Naw, never.

Combat training is combat training and fight sports are fight sports.

Photobucket

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:41:23 PM
Shags (65)
(--- Ben ---) < El Ripper >
Alaska
Either way Lesnar was not a marine he was in the National Guard, I should show you guys a pic of all my mma dvd's as there is a shitload of them

Edited: 09/04/2008 at 02:51 PM by Shags