Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2018 Weekly Contests Presents: Super C Contest ends Sunday, 2/25/18 at 11 PM NA time

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:08:28 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  Okay, we have a really big problem this week and it comes in the form of aliens from another galaxy.  Yep, that's right, aliens!  And not innocent-looking aliens like this one (even if he eats cats):

Image result for alf

Your three heroes from Contra on the NES, Mad Dog, Scorpion, and Bimmster, were sipping lemonade on a beach in Rio one summer afternoon with some bronzed-up, super-busty, lovely South American ladies wrapped around each arm when the vile Red Falcon decided to invade Earth once again.  Wait, what's that you say?  Bimmster wasn't a playable character in Contra?  Of course he was!  You just had to pretend that you were playing as him...  Anyway, Red Falcon has brought in some reinforcements this time from across the galaxy to conquer Earth and these evil, alien dudes mean business!  You'll have to tangle with the Babalu Destructoid Mechanism, which was used to disintegrate the Tralala Solar System many millenia ago.  Rumor has it Red Falcon hated their rendition of Jingle Bells and Sharp Dressed Man and decided to destroy them (pfftt, he should know that every girl is crazy about a sharp-dressed man, but, whatever).  Also recruited is the ever-fishy smelling Krypto-Crustacean from the Ichthyoid Galaxy.  This thing means business, and let me tell you, it's so frightening that it scares the crap out of the likes of Octoroks, Bloopers, Cheep-Cheeps, Zoras, and even Bubble Man himself.  To make matters worse, Red Falcon has recruited one of the most fearsome aliens to ever inhabit the galaxy.  Yeah, that's right, he has joined forces with the fearsome...

Image result for giorgio tsoukalos

No, not that guy!  He's not even an alien!  Sure, he might look like this guy...

Image result for londo mollari

...but he is not an alien...even though he is a weirdo.  Anyway, I'm talking about the ever-terrifying, horror-inducing, fear-instilling, pants-crapping, hide-under-the-bed-and-suck-your-thumb-and-clutch-your-security-blanket-and-Teddy-Bear-while-you-wait-for-your-mommy-and-daddy-to-scare-the-monsters-away-from-under-your-bed-and-your-closet-and-your-dresser, run for your freaking life alien-entity known as Jagger Froid.  Yeah, you heard that right...Jagger Froid!  He may not have moves like Mick Jagger, but he's here to make sure the universe will fear his ridiculously stupid name.  And to help him stop you and your Contra Force (Whoa, I'm getting ahead of myself, here.  The Contra Force hasn't even been formed yet.  Heck, it's still 1990 and not 1992 yet.  That sounds like a cool name and all, but I have a feeling it will not be a very popular NES game), he has created his infamous Fruit-of-the-Doom defense line (sounds like a pair of underwear...and dirty underwear at that).  This includes aliens like Lip-o-Suction, which will suck the, uh, life out of you.  Hey, it's better than what Kickle would do to you...unless you're into that sort of thing.  He also has Spit Soldiers, which would rather spit acid at you instead of swallow you whole (pfftt, spitters are quitters), some goofy-looking blue spiders that spawn rapidly and are annoying to deal with at the worst times, and some other stupid enemies that aren't even mentioned in the game's manual because Konami forgot to mention them or didn't have time to come up with stupid, pun-filled names for them like all the rest of their Konami/Ultra games created in the 1980s and 1990s for the Nintendo Entertainment System (if you owned any of their games as a kid, you'll instantly know what I'm talking about).  The worst thing about Red Falcon's invasion of Earth is that he has transformed all of the soldiers in Fort Fire Storm into aliens, so you won't be getting any support from your compadres.  Instead, you'll have to blast them in the face, chest, and right down their throats with a fiery load...from your spread-shot gun and none other than your Spread-Shot gun!  Come on, you know you only play Contra or Super C to use the Spread-Shot and none of the other weapons.  And you know why you don't use any of the other weapons?  It's because they suck worse than Wayne's World or Hydlide or Deadly Towers or X-Men or Action 52 or Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle on the NES.  Hey, you might like those games, but I think they suck.  Opinions are like assholes, and everyone has one.  Just deal with it if you disagree with me.  Anyway, I don't have any more advice to give you about the alien invasion, so if you need more info, contact this guy:

Image result for fox mulder

Okay, enough stupid chit-chat and lame humor, it's time to get serious.  It's time to take on the vile Red Falcon and his band of goons (and please don't call them “Goonies,” as that's insulting to a certain 80s movie).  Suit up as the ever-buff Mad Dog, or the All-American, alien-destroying Scorpion, or the totally bodacious and video game-conquering Bimmster as you take on Red Falcon in the Earth-Saving mission known only as “Super C”.  No, I'm not talking about the toilet-bowl filling, septic-field clogging, Bo Abobo-card calling, bowel-bursting turd known around the NintendoAge universe as a Super C.  I'm talking about the government-sanctioned, planet-saving mission known as “Super C.”  Okay, you got me, Bimmster may not be a playable character, but you can still pretend to be him...at least I will be pretending to be him as I blast all the alien scum into oblivion.  Here's what you need to know to stop Red Falcon and his band of alien cronies in the mission know as “Super C”:

• 1 player only
  • Only two playthroughs allowed (after you beat the game for the second time, you must stop playing and take your picture before level 1 starts again for the third time (be ready to take your picture after the credits roll on loop 2).  Anyone suspected of playing the game on a third playthrough or beyond will have their score disqualified).
  • Play until you are given the chance to continue for the first time (Play until Game Over)
  • Absolutely, positively no point racking allowed.  You are are only allowed to kill the enemies that are a threat to you.  Anyone suspected of point racking will have their score disqualified. This game isn't fun to play for a low score.  Let's play it without any sort of point racking.  If you can come up with a better set of rules that don't involve any sort of point racking, please let me know and it will be implemented.
  • Take your picture on the Continue Screen if you lose your all your lives. If you beat the game twice, take your picture on the Area 1 start screen so we can see your score + your lives remaining.
  • If you beat the game twice, multiply your number of remaining lives by your score.
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 20,000
  • GENRE: Action/Platformer

The contest ends Sunday, 2/25/18 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun  

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 02/27/2018 at 04:17 AM by bimmy_lee

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:08:58 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Weekly Leaderboard header

1st SwiftFrost 10,533,120
2nd tablew/chairs 9,993,730
3rd the tall guy 9,467,030
4th bertsampson 8,559,000
5th arnpoly 4,343,400
6th RichardHead 844,040
7th Gutling 388,430
8th bluzebrother11 296,400
9th Liduario 280,890
10th Gloves 144,720
11th gutsman004 142,160
12th Moist Towelette 134,880
13th mbd39 103,860
14th Seppatoni 100,550
15th Krunch 98,220
16th JamesRobot 70,920
17th Murray 68,500
18th Yoshi 63,380
19th SuperJimtendo 61,580
20th laddersandcakes 61,020
21st smick 43,100
22nd skinnygrinny 42,020

The time for revenge it is. Attack aggressively, you shall!

Art by BrendanCorris (https://www.deviantart.com/art/Co...)

Art by SuperJimtendo.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Edited: 02/26/2018 at 07:44 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:33:31 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Honour system rules, this should get interesting. I have to admit I've been practicing this one a bit and I was dreading having to play for low score. What specifically makes it so un-fun to play for low scores anyways?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:43:25 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Krunch

Honour system rules, this should get interesting. I have to admit I've been practicing this one a bit and I was dreading having to play for low score. What specifically makes it so un-fun to play for low scores anyways?

You would have to skip fighting a lot of enemies.  For a game like this, that is not fun to me.  I would rather see people have fun playing this game for high score rather than low score.  Of course, that means not point racking.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:04:14 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I'm off from one of my jobs on Monday so I think I'll devote a bit of time to this. Unlike Contra,I never really played this too much. I'll see what I can do.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:14:45 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
For me, Super C is easier than Contra. I don't know why, but it is. I've certainly played Contra more than Super C, but maybe I've learned the enemy patterns and attacks better in Super C than Contra. I've no-deathed Super C a few times, whereas, I've never no-deathed Contra (best I came to doing that was a 1-death run).

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:45:06 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

For me, Super C is easier than Contra. I don't know why, but it is. I've certainly played Contra more than Super C, but maybe I've learned the enemy patterns and attacks better in Super C than Contra. I've no-deathed Super C a few times, whereas, I've never no-deathed Contra (best I came to doing that was a 1-death run).

I’ve no deathed neither. Hell I’ve never beaten either without the Konami code. Lol. Actually I’m better at the arcade version of Contra than the NES version. Also the version I like better although I know I’m in the minority on this.

Edited: 02/18/2018 at 10:25 AM by gutsman004

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:08:09 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Eh.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:46:09 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Yay. A game I'm good at, is fun and only takes a few minutes to play. Even for two back to back rounds. What a difference a week makes!

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:27:19 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

It seems like the difficulty maxes out after the third loop in Super C where Contra gets to the point where the slowdown gets so bad it's almost unplayable. I actually no deathed Super C for 8 loops trying to see if the score maxes out (I don't think it does) before I finally quit playing. If I remember correctly, it takes about 7 full loops to max out the score in Contra. I'm pretty sure the slowdown gets really bad about the 4th loop, so I always felt like Contra was the tougher game of the two.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 02/18/2018 at 10:29 AM by bearcat-doug

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:28:03 AM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Edited: 02/26/2018 at 04:12 PM by Richardhead

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:30:21 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Spread gun or die bitches !

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:58:39 AM
Liduario (0)
< Cherub >
Brazil
1) 69,560
2) 102,510
3) 280,890

Of course, I'm following NA rules but for Nes games I feel more natural to use a turbo controller. That's because when I got my first Nes it was a clone called Turbo Game. The main controller had built-in turbo function.
For the weekly contests, I'm using stock Nes controllers only, so I can avoid the temptation to use turbo buttons.

Edited: 02/24/2018 at 11:20 AM by Liduario

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:43:51 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Super C is a lot harder for me. I no-deathed Contra for the contest and I've gotten over 3 million from looping the game. I've never made it past stage 5 in Super C.

The enemies are more aggressive in Super C. Even on the first stage they're constantly coming at you from both directions. The first stage in Contra is comparatively more sedate, at least on the first loop.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 02/18/2018 at 11:53 AM by mbd39

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:19:58 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
An idea regarding the point pressing issue, you might want to consider increasing the number of loops to 4 or 5. That way the high scores will come more from looping rather than killing enemies. A playthrough takes about 20 minutes so it wouldn't be too bad.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:21:27 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Richardhead

I got to some alien looking fucker that shot out spike balls and weird little head looking things. Maybe we take our picture on our last live instead of using them all up so we know where everyone was ?

The problem is your score isn't visible during gameplay.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:27:32 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: mbd39

An idea regarding the point pressing issue, you might want to consider increasing the number of loops to 4 or 5. That way the high scores will come more from looping rather than killing enemies. A playthrough takes about 20 minutes so it wouldn't be too bad.
I can sit on stage 6 and point rack for hours on end and no one would know the difference what loop I got to as long as I just beat the game once. As is sometimes inherent in these contest, honor system is what it is. 

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:33:26 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
So say two people no deathed two loops, wouldn't their scores be identical?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:37:17 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

I can sit on stage 6 and point rack for hours on end and no one would know the difference what loop I got to as long as I just beat the game once. As is sometimes inherent in these contest, honor system is what it is. 

Fair point. At least you'd have to do a lot more point pressing to get the same kind of score that you'd get from looping 5 times.

Low score/progress would work, but apparently that would ruin this game. Too bad about NES games often being terrible to come up with decent rules for.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:56:40 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Originally posted by: Richardhead

I got to some alien looking fucker that shot out spike balls and weird little head looking things. Maybe we take our picture on our last live instead of using them all up so we know where everyone was ?

The problem is your score isn't visible during gameplay.

I did a wake and bake Super C run today and failed to notice that !😂

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:08:44 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bert

Nope. Probably close though. Someone that could no death both loops with the spread gun would take out more enemies in groups than someone that loses a life and has to play a stretch with the standard weapon. There's a pace of play gray area too. I'd say that it's possible to play it safe without point racking which would result in a higher score than someone who can basically speed run the game. There are a lot of variables, but I wouldn't expect huge margins of difference.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:14:09 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

The current rule set is probably the best. Even if the rules were low score someone could just continue on the last level to reset their score to 0, point rack up a realistic low score, beat the game and pass that off too.

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:58:49 PM
Liduario (0)
< Cherub >
Brazil

Edited: 02/18/2018 at 03:59 PM by Liduario

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:16:41 PM
bluzebrother11 (22)
(Mark ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois

Edited: 02/18/2018 at 04:18 PM by bluzebrother11

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:44:11 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Bert

In the same ballpark, yes. The higher score would be the person who “took their time.”