Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Bad NES games you love to play.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:50:53 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
<---- see avatar (Cheetahmen II RULES!!!)

Oh, and Amagon rules too!

-------------------------

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:26:52 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Fist of the North Star would be my pick.

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:25:37 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
The famicom version is more fun though I love when you choose to dispatch your enemies with your useless punch (as opposes to your stronger, longer-range kick) and after eight hits or so, their torso explodes and their head and shoulders hang behind them like a banana peel. Only in Japan.

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:46:26 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^ That video is for the Famicom version of Fist of the North Star 1, not to be confused with the Famicom version of Fist of the North Star 2 which we got in America under the name "Fist of the North Star." You'll find the game in that video on many pirate multicarts, but it didn't get an official US release. I know, not confusing at all...

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:35:11 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Ah I was wondering why they were so different, we got the sequel then. Got it. Yep I've played this on most of my multicarts actually

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:35:28 PM
Bryansvideotrader (36)
(Bryan Sunkle) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
What about Deja Vu, anyone actually sit down and play this shitter?

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:40:17 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
^^^ I do, i love the deja vu, shadowgate, univited series of games

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:45:04 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^ Hey now, I love me some Kemco/Seika. They're almost impossible to get through without cheating at least once (I can think of one specific point in both Shadowgate and Uninvited where I just got absolutely stuck for DAYS, banging my head against walls until I relented and cheated to figure out what random thing I was supposed to use in which random screen on a random object) but they're stylized, and I think pretty fun.

Shadowgate's also annoying because of the torch mechanic, you can get stuck in a bad place and have your gamesave screw you. Fortunately once you've figured out what you need to do, you can probably do a runthrough in under 10 minutes.

I don't remember Deja Vu had any real sticking points though. Does this make it the best of the bunch? Who knows, they're all different genres. Cool stuff IMO though.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:22:34 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Bryansvideotrader

What about Deja Vu, anyone actually sit down and play this shitter?

Shitter? Hardly, gees, gamers these days. And here there's someone over on the NES board at Gamefaqs complaining about Castlevania II, and another about Zelda. G'damn people always expecting a game to hold their hand through it all, F'in can't figure shit out on their own. And then here they are ranting about it or asking for help, they get it, and then call you a lier when you tell 'em. Fuckin' idiots.

Sorry, not usually like this, but shit, people just expect too much outa everything. Fuckin' god damned spoiled I think. Perhaps Deja Vu just isn't your thing, there are some games that people just can't into, but its far from shit.

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:09:53 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I love the stuff from Kemco/Seika. That game mechanic is classic.

I agree with Dan that there are some sticking points that can be tough, but they are all good games with generally well thought out puzzles.

Miss Clawful, I agree whole heartedly. Too many sissies who like to claim that they're "hardcore gamers" but they're incapable of actually beating the classics. Pathetic.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:57:51 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

$^%@$%(*!#$*!$!#()$

You're in a mood! lol. I do agree about the handholding thing you mentioned. One of my favorite things about old games is that there's no tutorial. You've got to figure it out. Starting with the SNES games started having tutorial levels, but even then there are a few that you just need to figure out.

Prime example - one of my all-time fave genres, the Street Fighting game. Anyone remember a time when arcades didn't have a character-by-character cheat sheet all the way around the monitor? You had 60 seconds, two life bars and six buttons: good luck figuring that Dragon Punch out suckers!

8-bit games almost universally just dump you into the game. It's really rewarding sometimes going 1/2way through the game and then running into something that you find out is actually a powerup (I do this in shmups all the time), or moving a certain way and finding out you can actually enter buildings (River City Ransom) or do special moves (any game where you hit the two buttons at once, or press down/up + button). Then it's like: bonus!!

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:25:30 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Dan, they did still come with instructions. A decent manual should have some kind of rundown of items or what-not.

I don't think the argument is so much against games that inform you how to play, but games that hold your hand throughout the process by being so easy.

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:57:41 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Instructions! BAH!

I'm the kid that threw away the instructions for his transformers, his games, everything. Who cares! Let's get to playing! That's the same reason why I loved new Transformers, figuring them out on my own for the first time.

<-- loose collector

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:01:52 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I definitelly agree with figuring out Transformers on your own.
But game instructions have all of the story and artwork.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:31:49 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: dangevin

Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

$^%@$%(*!#$*!$!#()$

You're in a mood! lol. I do agree about the handholding thing you mentioned. One of my favorite things about old games is that there's no tutorial. You've got to figure it out. Starting with the SNES games started having tutorial levels, but even then there are a few that you just need to figure out.

Prime example - one of my all-time fave genres, the Street Fighting game. Anyone remember a time when arcades didn't have a character-by-character cheat sheet all the way around the monitor? You had 60 seconds, two life bars and six buttons: good luck figuring that Dragon Punch out suckers!

8-bit games almost universally just dump you into the game. It's really rewarding sometimes going 1/2way through the game and then running into something that you find out is actually a powerup (I do this in shmups all the time), or moving a certain way and finding out you can actually enter buildings (River City Ransom) or do special moves (any game where you hit the two buttons at once, or press down/up + button). Then it's like: bonus!!

Yeah, I sure was. And then to top that off I was having trouble accessing certain websites (Yahoo. MySpace, Nintendo Age) but others still loaded up as they should (Gamefaqs, Wikipedia, Youtube), boy it was an aggrivating night. But I think the problem is fixed, I performed a system restore on my computer, all the sites that were taking forever to load or simply not loading up, are now, and quickly like they were when we'd first got the computer. Never mind, its F'ing up again. Had it diagnose the problem, and repaired the connection, or whatever. Pages are loading up normally again. We will see. Damn glitchy ass technology.

Back to the gaming conversation. I think that's my problem with getting into most games nowadays, aside from them being overly long, damn tutorials, especially when they pop up suddenly while you're in the middle of the action, possibly jumping over a pit. Besides it slows things down, having these things pop up telling you stuff that is usually common knowledge, or if it isn't you'll learn soon enough on your own. And I certainly don't need anything telling me where to go, what to do next. When you've started out on the NES, or earlier console, you tend to gain a lot of experience with handling things yourself, so when games suddenly start telling you how, makes me think how moronic they must think we are. Too much dialog, whether help stuff or story, is unnecessary, particularly in action games, if I want to read I'll play an RPG, or a game like Deja Vu.

Nothing like playing halfway through a game, only to finally discover something new that you hadn't known about, like you said...Bonus!! Then you're like, I wonder if there's anything else I still haven't found, and from that point on a new side-quest has been instilled within you: What else can I find? Nothing more rewarding and exciting than finding out cool knew stuff on your own, sometimes its a deliberate search for it, but sometimes its something you've discovered accidently, either way, once you discover one new thing, from that point on you just end up wanting to find more.

One example, I remember the first time I burned a bush in Zelda, at first I was just walking around, burn a bush here and there, nothing happening, then suddenly there's that jingle that lets you know you've just found a hidden door, surprise, surprise. And then from that point on, its like, well, guess I'm just going to have to try to burn down every tree in this game. Then you're like, going over a mental checklist: so bombs blow up walls, obvious, candles not only light up darkness but also burn certain trees, wonder if there's any special uses for some of the other items. So your bombing every wall in the game, burning every bush, pushing every single block that has free space to move, blowing the flute on every screen, trying everything, don't matter how silly it seems, you never know. Now, while many gamers nowadays wouldn't have the patience for this--I blame the developers for spoiling them with too many options--but for us, we were deep into them. Oh, and to top it off, there was the 2nd quest, but what was most interesting was when in that quest, within one of the labyriths, every which way a deadend, and suddenly you have a wild idea and try something completely new, even though you never had to do this in the first quest, and so you push against a wall where a door would be, yet there's no door there, and suddenly you pass right through it! Holy @#$%! And here's this one guy on Gamefaqs saying how he can't find the 2nd or 3rd labyrinths, claiming he's already checked every screen that he's able to get to, and yet hasn't, and we who've played that game aplenty know how both of those labyrinths are right there out in the open, not even hidden. Can't imagine, someone who's already frustrated with it now, and on stuff that don't require him to do anything but wander onto the right screens, how he'd ever get anywhere near halfway through this game, probably'll end up giving up and saying the game sucks as most of them do nowadays when they play these old games and can't get anywhere in them right away. And if thrown straight into the 2nd quest, forget it, would be stumped indefinitely once inside a labyrinth with a false wall.

Here's another one, Castlevania II, since I'd mentioned both this and Zelda in my previous post. When I first played that game I was taking everything literal, I was foolishly trying every clue given to me as told, eventually I got the hint that I was being deviously mislead. I realized I couldn't trust anyone in this game, I'd just have to explore it completely in every way on my own. I got stuck quite a bit, frustrated, wandering about feeling like I'm doing the same things over and over again. The one point that completely stumped me was Deborah Cliff, afterall there were 2 cliffs, which one was Deborah, and sure I knew how to use the crystal, but even when I kneeled on every block close to those cliffs, nothing happened, I gave up on getting through it. But its because I discovered something else more interesting, while hopping across the blocks over the water that move up and down, I noticed how Simon's jump height sometimes varied, I put that to test. Once I knew the circumstances of this phenomenon I knew exactly where I wanted to put it to use. I worked my way all the way back to the graveyard where you get the Silver Knife, tried a bunch to leap up to the ledge that you really shouldn't be able to get up to, but after several continues, the timing not right, me falling in the water, I finally reached it, one moment I'm thinking I'm just going to fail again, and suddenly I'm standing on the ledge that was 3 blocks above where I jumped from. The thrill of this discovery was electrifying, I was so friggin' happy. Then I jumped back down, tried it again, because I was pretty sure it wasn't just some one time thing, I pulled it off again, by this point I'm all giddy with excitement. I ended up beating the game my first time with me getting around Deborah Cliff by way of, what would you call it, a sprite glitch? By lashing out with your whip at the right moment as you're jumping, you actually jump a little bit higher than normal. Anyway, its somewhat similar to how in Metroid you're able to climb up through walls by rolling up into a ball, and uncurling repeatedly. Eventually I did figure Deborah Cliff out and beat the game by way of the intended route. Castlevania II was one hard game to figure out, frustrating, yet compelling. And strangely still one of my favorites games of all time.

Edited: 10/13/2008 at 10:32 AM by Miss Clawful

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:41:02 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Instructions! BAH!

I'm the kid that threw away the instructions for his transformers, his games, everything. Who cares! Let's get to playing! That's the same reason why I loved new Transformers, figuring them out on my own for the first time.

<-- loose collector

Threw away instructions?!!!! No! That's one thing that I didn't do, I tried to keep everything, and as arch 8ngel said, its got the story and all the cool artwork inside them, well the ones that were actually made up of more than just text. I hate text only manuals, loved looking through all the ones with pretty pictures: Super Mario Brothers 2, Metroid, Zelda, Zelda II, StarTropics, Robowarrrior...good stuff. And sometimes they're just amusing, with silly text, Konami had some good ones full of fun words. Nowadays I don't have but a dozen or so manuals, since I get almost all my games cart only, but I have Nintendo Power, and that's just as much fun, maybe moreso, lots of pretty pictures and funny dialog.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:49:37 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^ I actually never passed the Deborah Cliff part, that's a remarkable way to get around it though. I think I remember reading sometime much later that it depends on the time of day you kneel with the crystal, but nobody in the towns tells you that. I beat I and III but never passed II

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:43:06 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

^ I actually never passed the Deborah Cliff part, that's a remarkable way to get around it though. I think I remember reading sometime much later that it depends on the time of day you kneel with the crystal, but nobody in the towns tells you that. I beat I and III but never passed II

Nah. You just have to kneel against the cliff long enough to be swept up and carried through it, several seconds.

I also remember spending countless hours trying to figure out a peculiar deadend near the end of your quest, at this marshy deadend is an invisible staircase, but never found anything to it. There's also this one spot where you can walk down a step (also invisible) into the blocks so that you're feet are halfway in them, this though is apparently a mess up with the programming.

Though I never discovered this one on my own, is the glitch that allows you to fall down through floors, standing on the edge of a block and taking a step forward and whipping at the same time. This one took perfect timing, but after having gotten it to work once, I can't help myself but to try it out several times every time I play the game, just because, its one of those hard to do glitch moves that kinda gives me a little bit of satisfaction knowing that I pulled it off.

That's what's great about NES games, chock-full of glitches that sometimes gives those games that have 'em some extra weight, some new gameplay element to play around with, even though it wasn't supposed to exist. Afterward they took more care in removing things like this before putting the games out, or in the case of Super Mario Brothers, correcting the glitch, no minus world in Super Mario All-Stars, bah, they took out a fun element, even if you only do it just for kicks.

Some glitches can F'up your game, but most can be pretty useful, hey, look at Double Dragon, the invincible invisible enemy that you can rack-up all your experience points on.

Edited: 10/13/2008 at 11:45 AM by Miss Clawful

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:49:27 PM
Bikke The Pirate (0)
(Karl Hegyi) < Cherub >
Ohio
Fester's Quest

"Aye, I am Bikke the Pirate, and surprised I am that you scurvy dogs have the nerve to face me. Mates! Get those landlubbers!"

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:55:05 AM
rbudrick (4)
(Rob Budrick) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Hampshire
Deadly Towers. Granted, I've never beaten it legitimately, only with the EF code. I think the labyrinths were completely unnecessary, but the music is top notch and the game intrigued the hell out of me as a kid! The game pissed me off, but the game had some crazy appeal to me. It was a game I could never get anywhere in and I think that's what made me keep coming back The instruction book mentioned all these crazy items and bosses and goals you had to achieve, but I couldn't do any of them! I was dying to see what the last boss Rubas looked like, but the instruction boo only had an sillouette of him. It pained me to think I would never find out. When NP published that code, though, the many mysteries of this game were solved...except how to beat it legitimately. WTF is up with those secret rooms (not the labyrinths)?

-Rob

I am the god of Hellfire and I bring you FIRE!

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:59:33 PM
adaml (0)
(Adam Lamontagne) < Tourian Tourist >
Maine
Originally posted by: TheHarvestDude

I stick to Legend of Kage. Limited graphics, repeated soundtrack annoying sound effects.. but i love it.

TheHarvestDude

Haha, this was one of the first 4 NES games I ever had (SMB, Duck Hunt, Gyromite and Legend of Freakin Kage).  I remember the other kids had Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc. and since we didn't have much money I would always try to swing a temporary trade but nobody wanted to trade for Kage.  I finally managed to get Karnov in trade and beat it in a couple hours.

Kage was really fun, but you always seemed to get hit by that stray ninja star.

U.S. NES games left to beat: 3

Last 3 U.S. NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire
Updated: 7/21/10

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:50:38 PM
Gundam_Pilot_ (24)
(Brian Johnson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Phantom Fighter