Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gameboy PLCC ROM

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:45:34 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Hi guys, I've recently been investigating puting the original Chunkout onto a GBC cartridge, and was wondering if anyone new much about gameboy rom parts. It would seem to be simplest if I could take a rom only cartridge as a donor for my 32k game, and just replace the mask rom on the board with something I flashed.

The problem is looking at a Tetris board I've got here, the rom looks to be a 44 pin PLCC. The smallest rom I can find that's 44 pin is a 27C1024 (e.g. 1Mb). I'm wondering if these would be similarly pinned, but I can't find any reference material for the rom in the gameboy cart. Anyone have any ideas?

-------------------------

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:29:56 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I was looking through the only hard copy resource I have available (Nintendo Authorized Servicer Technical Training Workbook), and the only Game Boy schematics I found were for the system and the rechargeable battery pack...

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:32:06 AM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Man I hope you can get this done James.I will pay you good money for your hard work and time.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:37:54 PM
Wickeycolumbus (2)

(Rick Skrbina) < Little Mac >
United States
I also tried to make a gameboy eprom cartrige.  I used this schematic (lower left corner of the page):

It did not quite work, I have no idea what went wrong.  When I burned an eprom and turned it on, most of the nintendo symbol came up, but there were a few missing pixels and it did not work.  I know the eprom was good and the burn was sucessfull.

If you do find a plcc eprom/eeprom/flash chip that is 32k and 44 pins, you can not just replace the masked rom.  it is a different pinout, you have to get the cart connector pinout and wire the chip according to it.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:02:16 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Sounds like you may have missed out by just one pin. I have gotten a full size eprom working before, but I'm just looking into what sort of smaller surface mount parts I can use to make the whole process simpler.

Here's some of my earlier attempts from around 10 years ago:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/jamest...

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:54:33 PM
!damage! (71)
(Dane .) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin

it's too bad you couldn't get ahold of some of these:

this thing for some odd reason can hold 8 original gameboy games on it

Dibin: I'm here for tits.