Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Polymega inching closer to release + They are promising "perfect" Saturn Emulation I'm doubtful but I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Sep 06 at 10:01:42 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Well, I just learned about the Polymega, and though it was discussed on here about a year ago, there's not been much news since, other than that they are supposedly getting close to production and that according to this recent article, the makers are promising really good Saturn emulation.

I'd really like to know some inside details.  I don't believe those claims, but even if it's much better emulation than current emulators, it's good to hear that, maybe, there's a project that can save some of these games from being lost to aging harware.

Source: https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/06/polymega-retro-console/

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 06 at 10:26:52 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I'll believe it when I see it.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 06 at 12:16:56 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I'm skeptical like everyone else. It seems like the Polymega feature list goes on a little too long. It does Saturn really well! (or, uhh, "play many classics just as the original creators intended") Each module has games built-in! (they can't ignore copyright laws, so what games are they?) It supports light guns on modern TVs! (or at least it's "intended" to) No input lag! (rather, "eliminate nearly all perceivable input lag")

I'd put money on Polymega releasing a product that does do a few things really well, but doesn't deliver on the implied absolutely perfect do-all be-all end-all emulation machine, and then saying something like "ok well come on, you can't emulate this stuff PERFECTLY, cut us some slack" and then it will become a bit like the Pyra/Pandora where there are a few die-hard fans, but the general population doesn't see a need to drop the scratch.

Sep 06 at 12:21:01 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I'm firmly in the believe it when I see it camp. That said, if it lives up to the claims I think that'd make it basically a must-have.

Sep 06 at 12:26:48 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Gloves

I'm firmly in the believe it when I see it camp. That said, if it lives up to the claims I think that'd make it basically a must-have.
This is exactly how I feel.  In fact, if they delivery 75%  of what they promise (depending on the 75%), it’d still be worth the price.

That said, I’ll wait until MJR and MLIG get some of these foe review before I drop any money

Sep 06 at 1:17:58 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
"While pure software emulation has struggled with the Saturn (although it's improving), Playmaji is claiming that Sega fans will get to play many classics just as the original creators intended"

They're still tricking media outlets with this hybrid emulation crap. The article says the thing runs on a Celaron processor, uhhh, what kind of not-software emulation do you think is happening Venturebeat? It's just a little PC running an emulator. It will be as good as however good Yabause is now.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 06 at 1:28:32 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
I'm still waiting for a "perfect" Everdrive sort of deal for PS1/PS2...like you can already do on a Wii for the GC and Wii (you can even save your game on standard GC memory cards and everything)

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Sep 06 at 3:07:24 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Estil

I'm still waiting for a "perfect" Everdrive sort of deal for PS1/PS2...like you can already do on a Wii for the GC and Wii (you can even save your game on standard GC memory cards and everything)
You can set up a PS Classic with all the PS1 games I believe.  Actually I know 100% it works but I only have a 64gb SD card.  Not sure if you could get a 1tb drive to work on it which is what you would need to hold every US PS1 game.  The library is huge.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 09/06/2019 at 03:07 PM by tbone3969

Sep 06 at 3:14:58 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

Actually it seems it has been done.  Check out this ebay listing.  It has every US game and some imports on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS1-Ultimate-Playstation-Classic-Mo...

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Sep 06 at 4:16:53 PM
Aatos (78)
(Eero loves NTSC!) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
I'm really looking forward to this especially as a replacement to Retron 5, I simply need a NES emulator box to be able to play real carts with savestates... but I'm also highly highly suspicious of this. Having been following this via the appropriate Atariage thread (which is also highly critical of the device), it just doesn't look too good how the Polymega crew has not only totally misled the audiences about the technology they had (how their "hybrid emulation" and fgpa promise just turned into regular emulation), as well as sketchy about their funding model (they basically took preorders a year ago with a kickstarter type setup, with no liability) and now they've been promising release since march this year and I still haven't heard anything concrete about shipping..

Anyhoo, I'll probably buy it after there's actually a retailer selling a real product, not a preorder, and after I see a good review from Digital Foundry and My Life in Gaming. Also, the light gun support would be awesome if they can really pull that off!

It's been a long time since I realized, I'm not building a great collection, but a great library. 

Sep 06 at 5:58:15 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
It looks like they're learned redeveloping a console in fpga isn't as easy as they thought. I suspect they jumped strait into hyperbole land without ever checking to see if the tech was ready first.

Sep 07 at 2:00:09 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
The light gun support would be pretty awesome but if Saturn emulation is a flop I doubt I'd buy one. It would need one more perk than light gun, anyway. We will see...

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Sep 07 at 4:04:24 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Why did you write "perfect" in quotation marks? Are they claiming it to be perfect or are they claiming it to be "perfect" like there's something wrong with it?

Sep 07 at 10:13:06 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: bootload

Why did you write "perfect" in quotation marks? Are they claiming it to be perfect or are they claiming it to be "perfect" like there's something wrong with it?

The article claimed perfect emulation, which is basically a lie.  There’s no such thing.

Sep 08 at 1:03:22 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: tbone3969

Actually it seems it has been done.  Check out this ebay listing.  It has every US game and some imports on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS1-Ultimate-Playstation-Classic-Mo...

Look up PSIO for the equivalent everdrive-esque solution for PS1. Metal Jesus also did  a video on it

Sep 08 at 8:49:54 AM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I was super excited when this was announced a few years ago (originally as RetroBlox). Have been waiting quite some time...

-Then the NES/Snes classic consoles came out.
-Then the Analogue Super NT came out.
-Then the TeraOnion Super SD system came out (Turbografx card and CD)
-Then the Analogue Mega SG came out.
-Then the TeraOnion Mega SD came out (Master system, Genesis and Sega CD)
-Now the Genesis classic consoles are coming out
-Turbografx Mini is coming soon.
-A whole bunch of cables that allow the original systems (including Saturn) to work on modern TVs have since become available

Polymega, you are kinda late to the party

Edited: 09/08/2019 at 05:55 PM by phart010