NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Stadium Events Seller Hi all

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:37:29 AM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
Welcome to the forums!

Looks like the sealed SE is already at $21,000! Incredible!

-------------------------
"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:47:28 AM
Nicole (0)

(The New Girl) < Cherub >
Illinois
Hi StadiumEventsSeller!  Great to see you here.  I'm excitedly watching your auction along with everyone else.  How many watchers do you have on the auction?  It must be in the hundreds (or thousands)!

I'm intrigued by the fact that the game was originally purchased by you, and that it has been saved in its original wrapping all of these years.  This item could easily have wound up being trashed or discarded over the years.  How wonderful that you and your family unknowingly rescued something so precious from extinction.  It brings me happiness to know that instead of sitting lonely in a dark basement for decades, the game will now be given new life as the celebrated centerpiece of someone's prized collection.

Not to mention, it must be pretty amazing to suddenly become $20K+ richer, practically overnight!  I hope you are able to take part of your winnings and treat yourself to something special.

I'd love to hear more about the history of this item, if you have any details you'd like to share.  Was it you personally who purchased the game?  I wonder if you had any inkling as to how monumental that seemingly insignificant purchase would be.  It was probably  just another ordinary day in your life.  How crazy to think that an ordinary day in your life 20 years ago would turn out to be so important today!

I'd also like to hear about your reaction when you found out that the game was in your basement, and that it was sealed.  How hard did your jaw hit the ground?!  I can't imagine the rush you must have felt!

Best of luck to you with the auction!  I'm sure it will go to someone who will give it a very, very good home.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:15:40 AM
Nicole (0)

(The New Girl) < Cherub >
Illinois
Originally posted by: StadiumEventsSeller

I really don't know where that myth got started (about Woolworths).  I saw it on a Wiki page which means anyone could have put it there...not sure where that came from but it is obviously false.  We got it at a store called Richmond Gordmans.  It is a general merchadise store - they sell everything.  A long time ago they dropped the name "Richmond" and just became "Gordmans".  I've seen them in other cities but they might just be in the midwest.

BladeBraxton,  who is selling his CIB Stadium Events on eBay right now, stated that his copy was also purchased in Kansas, about an hour away from where you are located.  He also said that at the time his copy was purchased, Richmond Gordmans was a full-price department store and not a discount or close-out store.  This lends credence to the idea that Stadium Events was distributed in markets across the U.S., and not just in the Northeast.  Both Angel (with the $13K recent sale) and another person on this forum said that they got their SEs in North Carolina.  And I believe DreamTR has stated that he personally saw the game on a store shelf in Florida.  

Are there any other references from past owners as to where their copies originated from?  It's neat how everyone's individual stories are helping to write the history of Stadium Events's shelf life.

P.S.  Sorry for the multiple edits... I can't figure out how to separate my reply from the quoted part of StadiumEventsSeller's post.

Edited: 02/21/2010 at 01:24 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:17:58 AM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Wow welcome to the site! That is incredible that you almost brought it to goodwill. Good luck on the sale. We are all pulling for you

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:13:52 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Yeah, talk us through how it felt when you read the news story and then realized you might possibly have that very same game in the basement.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:56:43 AM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
Welcome and congrats!!!

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:42:17 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
(dave g) < Ridley Wrangler >
Taiwan

I'm still shaking my head as to how close we were to giving them away to Goodwill just to clear space in the basement!

That would have been the goodwill find of the millenium. Someone would have shit a brick right there in the store!

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your fortune!

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:18:29 PM
StadiumEventsSeller (0)

(vals2girlz vals2girlz) < Cherub >
Kansas
Originally posted by: Nicole

Hi StadiumEventsSeller!  Great to see you here.  I'm excitedly watching your auction along with everyone else.  How many watchers do you have on the auction?  It must be in the hundreds (or thousands)!

Thanks Nicole!  The watchers are about to hit 2,000.  This has been one big party.  I've answered hundreds of emails so forgive me if I am repeating myself...it's all al blur.  Many people have reported that they are going to have a party Friday night as they watch the auction end.  Btw, we will be having one too.

I've heard some crazy projections on where this could go but I'd be happy if it never moved another dollar - this event has already sent electricity throughout the collector's community.  I'm glad to be able to share with all my new friends!  You guys (and gals) are great!

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:03:45 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: gavmasterflash

I'm still shaking my head as to how close we were to giving them away to Goodwill just to clear space in the basement!

That would have been the goodwill find of the millenium. Someone would have shit a brick right there in the store!

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your fortune!

I'm sure a "capable" goodwill employee would have opened it up.  it likely would have ended up on shopgoodwill.com

eBay listings here

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:04:19 PM
StadiumEventsSeller (0)

(vals2girlz vals2girlz) < Cherub >
Kansas

I have a question...many have told me that this has the possibility to break the records.  Does anyone know what the record is for a publicly sold game?  How about for an NES game?

Thanks all - we appreciate you!

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:05:42 PM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
The Campus Challenge cart sold for 20k a few months ago. 

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:06:54 PM
stoutguru (46)
(John Hicks) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Welcome and good luck with the sale.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:44:59 AM
Kooonsty (18)
(Joe K) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Welcome.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:28:51 PM
flyingducky (44)
(P ) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
Welcome to NA!

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:05:36 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Wow this bidding is getting out of hand.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:25:47 PM
flatuswalrus (54)

(Mr. Dane) < Meka Chicken >
Queensland
Holy shit! I only just saw this, this is unbelievably unhinged. I just saw US $41,100.00 & nearly crapped my pants. Welcome to the site, you have really opened a can of worms with this treasure trove.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:26:50 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I'm still waiting for someone to find a couple palettes in a warehouse and really sink the value of this one...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:11:44 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
well, I'm no expert by any means when it comes to authenticating games, but there are a slew of Stadium Events up on ebay right now.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:47:35 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I'm still waiting for someone to find a couple palettes in a warehouse and really sink the value of this one...

While I would certainly feel bad for the few dudes that had them, there's definately a part of me that would love for this to happen. 

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:19:37 AM
shawnphase (9)
(shawn phase) < Lolo Lord >
Western Australia
welcome to nintendoage, from someone who has been a long time lurker as an outsider looking in and simply had to break the silence. this is a monumental day for videogames and collectors all over the world. we truly appreciate anything you have to add to this story and how this has all turned out, and i do honestly feel that someone upstairs was watching out over you and made fate steer you in the right direction several times through your time with this incredible find.

while i cannot speak for most people, i had a good idea that this day would come, when i first heard of world class track meet and that they were bringing these power pad games here. even as a young kid, i could see that the powers that be were going to end up with egg on their face for their mistakes somewhere down the line, where and how it panned out, i never would have guessed it would have wound up almost a 42,000 dollar mistake. i can only say that it feels good to know that destiny had it in the cards for you to see that negative that you encountered 20 years ago turn into a positive and had it play out this way for you. i pray that you have no unexpected problems in your transaction of the game to the buyer, and i absolutely implore you to handle this transaction in public, face to face in a central, familiar, and welcome location. all the best wishes to you stadiumeventsseller! thank you again for coming here and making an account and filling us in on the story behind this legendary holy grail of retro gaming.

http://www.tempsoundsolutions.com... for a whole slew of video game cover music.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:30:18 PM
jsteere1 (4)
(Jim Steere) < Crack Trooper >
Nebraska
really awsome stuff I had to watch it end last night. hopefully whoever won it doesn't get it shipped and they drive to get it. i was sad cause it was way out of my budget. Congrats on the epic find

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:34:03 PM
Aquanistic (25)
(: Alex :) < El Ripper >
United States
Congrats on such a high-ending auction!

My FO / FT Thread