Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Would you join us for NA 2 - electric boogaloo A complete refresh to a site for modern times

Oct 18 at 2:34:36 PM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
I would switch. I haven't really been on even before the site was sold. The things i would miss is like others said. Old friends logging in & not finding anyone.
Gamers gauntlet. I used to love competing but just ran out of time.
Badges. It was really fun collecting them & some can never be reaquired  
Things id like to see improved.
A better way to post pictures. Was real annoying using third party sites to post pictures of a game.
A real chat with video streaming. I miss the days where we would all be video chatting & streaming our games.
Think far in the future id also like another NA meetup.
There where some great times at our get togethers.
Id also like to keep my username Megamanfan forever.

-------------------------

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Oct 18 at 2:38:20 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Whether or not the mods have tact, the general vibe from some are that they want totally new management, even though the current mod group is spearheading the creation of the new place. I guess create a new forum, but then hand over the day to day to an unproven group?

No, I get that they want new management... ah fuck it, never mind. It's honestly not worth it at this point.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 18 at 2:38:48 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
test?

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 18 at 2:40:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Outdoormongoose

Again, my complaint about the Fs area is not about prices per se. It's about people no longer treating it like we're a community. 

That complaint has been made for as long as I have been on NA at least, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. I agree, it sucks!  As stated earlier though, if someone lists an item for a killer price then someone will just swoop in and buy it so they can list it on ebay for a profit.  It sucks, but how do you stop that?  I would always give better deals to people I know if I'm selling, but I'm not going to sell something at half price to someone I've never heard of.  How do you get to know people and snag those deals?  By being part of the community.  

Oct 18 at 2:41:45 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
Just hand the keys over to Andy. What could possibly go wrong?

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Oct 18 at 2:52:19 PM
TylerBarnes (0)
(Tyler Barnes) < Little Mac >
Texas
<2¢> Interesting read with varying points. I'm still a very new user, so I may not have the perspective an most on here. I'm more a tech geek, musician, and baby coder (Thanks Nerdy Nights!) than a collector/gamer. Marketplaces are very important, but not where I would spend my time.

I am more interested in reading write-ups, programming help threads, tech info, asking programming/modding questions. So an new forum would not change my ability to do that, and this place is still here to reference and to read while it's up. And even if it gets scrubbed, as mentioned earlier Archive.org will keep the content alive if this place truly goes away and people want to recover their threads and writups to post elsewhere and preserve.

On the surface, a new site has more benefits than bad considering the unique situation the members of the community are in vs the powers in control. Modern forum tech would be a welcomed addition. Sure the user base would not all carry over, but I think it will more highlight the difference between actual active users vs accounts that are dead. From reading this thread alone I feel the top contributors and folks that find this community close to their heart understand why this move would benefit them remaining the community they are rather than attributing their community to a specific URL. The community is where the people are. Look what happened to 8 bit peoples. They moved on and the chip community thrived instead on Chipmusic.org for a while.

I would join the new, and stay here while it's up as well. Focusing more time and energy to the location I get more out of, while also realizing that it will not be an instant hit and growing a forum means using the forum. </2¢>

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 02:54 PM by TylerBarnes

Oct 18 at 2:59:09 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: TylerBarnes

<2¢> Interesting read with varying points. I'm still a very new user, so I may not have the perspective an most on here. I'm more a tech geek, musician, and baby coder (Thanks Nerdy Nights!) than a collector/gamer. Marketplaces are very important, but not where I would spend my time.

I am more interested in reading write-ups, programming help threads, tech info, asking programming/modding questions. So an new forum would not change my ability to do that, and this place is still here to reference and to read while it's up. And even if it gets scrubbed, as mentioned earlier Archive.org will keep the content alive if this place truly goes away and people want to recover their threads and writups to post elsewhere and preserve.

On the surface, a new site has more benefits than bad considering the unique situation the members of the community are in vs the powers in control. Modern forum tech would be a welcomed addition. Sure the user base would not all carry over, but I think it will more highlight the difference between actual active users vs accounts that are dead. From reading this thread alone I feel the top contributors and folks that find this community close to their heart understand why this move would benefit them remaining the community they are rather than attributing their community to a specific URL. The community is where the people are. Look what happened to 8 bit peoples. They moved on and the chip community thrived instead on Chipmusic.org for a while.

I would join the new, and stay here while it's up as well. Focusing more time and energy to the location I get more out of, while also realizing that it will not be an instant hit and growing a forum means using the forum.

Well said.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Oct 18 at 3:19:50 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky

I would join the new, and stay here while it's up as well. Focusing more time and energy to the location I get more out of, while also realizing that it will not be an instant hit and growing a forum means using the forum.

You're entirely too rational to be posting words on the interwebs. lol

But yes, you've got it. We want to talk about gametapes, host instructionals, host contests, buy and sell, goof off with peeps that have common interests, and all the while have the freedom to properly address site concerns and make site improvements. Wild concept, I know.

The good old days of collecting games are dead, that's to be sure. No more stacks of NES and SNES games for 50 cents a pop. But we can still recapture the feeling of a site built upon community interests rather than be a prop for a corporate pay-site that only seeks to farm the community for potential revenue.

Make no mistake about it, GoCollect, Wata, and Heritage have their hands in the hobby for 1 common reason. To capitalize on commerce generated by the hobby. We aren't seeking to rail against that machine, but we also don't want to be at the mercy of it...

If a user on our forum wants to, for example, post objective content that illustrates the potential conflict of interest inherent in those corporate bedfellows, then we want them to be free to post that without fear of censorship.

There are pros and cons to the new game collecting landscape and I'm not here to say it's changing for the worst. I'm just saying that THIS site has direct ties to the "for-profit machine", and the new forum is solely meant to foster a community that enjoys the hobby.

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 03:21 PM by Br81zad

Oct 18 at 3:24:39 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
didn't read this whole thread so i don't know if this was covered but throw a like button on the new forum.

now i know 70% of you just rolled your eyes but i think a like button has practical applications. how many times do you see people around her quote an entire post just to say "x2"....?

well that shit will be a thing of the past once we have a like button to smash.

do it.

Oct 18 at 3:27:29 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: attakid101

didn't read this whole thread so i don't know if this was covered but throw a like button on the new forum.

now i know 70% of you just rolled your eyes but i think a like button has practical applications. how many times do you see people around her quote an entire post just to say "x2"....?

do it.
Quid pro quo

Pics of the wife first

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 18 at 3:27:39 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Br81zad

You're entirely too rational to be posting words on the interwebs. lol

But yes, you've got it. We want to talk about gametapes, host instructionals, host contests, buy and sell, goof off with peeps that have common interests, and all the while have the freedom to properly address site concerns and make site improvements. Wild concept, I know.

The good old days of collecting games are dead, that's to be sure. No more stacks of NES and SNES games for 50 cents a pop. But we can still recapture the feeling of a site built upon community interests rather than be a prop for a corporate pay-site that only seeks to farm the community for potential revenue.

Make no mistake about it, GoCollect, Wata, and Heritage have their hands in the hobby for 1 common reason. To capitalize on commerce generated by the hobby. We aren't seeking to rail against that machine, but we also don't want to be at the mercy of it...

If a user on our forum wants to, for example, post objective content that illustrates the potential conflict of interest inherent in those corporate bedfellows, then we want them to be free to post that without fear of censorship.

There are pros and cons to the new game collecting landscape and I'm not here to say it's changing for the worst. I'm just saying that THIS site has direct ties to the "for-profit machine", and the new forum is solely meant to foster a community that enjoys the hobby.

x2

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 18 at 3:28:54 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Whether or not the mods have tact, the general vibe from some are that they want totally new management, even though the current mod group is spearheading the creation of the new place. I guess create a new forum, but then hand over the day to day to an unproven group?

No, I get that they want new management... ah fuck it, never mind. It's honestly not worth it at this point.

I guess I just don't understand what they expect.

The main motivation is to move to a site with management that actually works to make improvements, i.e., what the current mod group is attempting. Not to magically conjure up a forum of "cool people."

Oct 18 at 3:39:15 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

This has been happening a lot lately:

User: "x" sucks about new site/this site/ mods/ other users
And
Im not going to join

Everyone: Jokes about User, comments about user's post

User: See this is why everyone sucks and Im not going to join. People on the internet are mean, and on NA are the meanest on the whole internet because I wasnt coddled and my behavior wasn't instantly positively enforced

I was responding to a user that stated this community isn't well liked by other gaming communities. I gave an example of why this community isn't well liked from my perspective involving the sale forum. There are other reasons including the snarky comments and this post right here from a moderator.

if everyone doesn't like a person in the room, it's probably what that person is doing that causes it. If that person just goes to another open room and sets new rules, it doesn't stop people from disliking that person and no one is going to follow or very few. That person needs to fix their problems first then going to the new room if they want it to succeed. 

Again, my complaint about the Fs area is not about prices per se. It's about people no longer treating it like we're a community. If it's now like ebay or retail...I'll just go to ebay or retail for better protections. If I can't trust people won't try to scam or understate the quality of the item here then I have little faith in taking a chance with less protections.

that ship sailed long ago when prices inflated to ridiculous levels. Everyone just wants top dollar to keep up. It's how it is everywhere. I'm sure any pastime that revolves around buying up piles of stuff to stick on a shelf or in a box in your closet and up the same way.

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Oct 18 at 3:40:03 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

if everyone doesn't like a person in the room, it's probably what that person is doing that causes it. If that person just goes to another open room and sets new rules, it doesn't stop people from disliking that person and no one is going to follow or very few. That person needs to fix their problems first then going to the new room if they want it to succeed. 
Who is everyone? This certainly doesn’t include me.

In my experience, people who don't like mods tend to have a problem with site rules in the first place. Or they think they should get to make or influence decisions for some reason. Or they stir up a lot of drama and don't like being told not to do that. I don't know how you came about your opinion outdoormongoose, but that is just my observation here and on forums in general. 

Oct 18 at 3:56:25 PM
attakid101 (19)
Idaho
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

do it.
Quid pro quo

Pics of the wife first

deal

Oct 18 at 3:59:24 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

do it.
Quid pro quo

Pics of the wife first

deal

Jeez man was this taken on a Nokia?

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 04:03 PM by Gloves

Oct 18 at 4:01:19 PM
attakid101 (19)
Idaho
Originally posted by: Gloves

do it.
Quid pro quo

Pics of the wife first

deal

N-Gage

Oct 18 at 4:02:44 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: Gloves

do it.
Quid pro quo

Pics of the wife first

deal

N-Gage

Well shit, you get a pass then, carry on.

Oct 18 at 4:32:39 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Yeezy taught you well

Oct 18 at 4:44:48 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Atta boy Fredo! Good to see you back.

Oct 18 at 4:57:03 PM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Murray

Just hand the keys over to Andy. What could possibly go wrong?

The way i make spelling errors. The site would be broke in seconds.

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Oct 18 at 5:08:31 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Andy brought up a good point, is there a chance we could reserve our NA username for the new site somehow?

EDIT - oh yeah and while I'm void of social media, I find the "LIKE* buttons on other forums a cool feature  

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 05:09 PM by Boosted52405

Oct 18 at 5:35:57 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Andy brought up a good point, is there a chance we could reserve our NA username for the new site somehow?

EDIT - oh yeah and while I'm void of social media, I find the "LIKE* buttons on other forums a cool feature  

It would be great to just be able to transfer my name over. I try to keep things uniform accross platforms.

Oct 18 at 5:36:35 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts

Yeah, it would really suck if you had to be Boosted52406!

Oct 18 at 5:38:08 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: ZBomber

Yeah, it would really suck if you had to be Boosted52406!
Hey!  Maybe I wanna be ZBomber over there