Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Ghosts n' Goblins Contest ends Sunday, 4/24/16 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:54:12 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
And with the scores achieved, I kindly ask to put my score as the contest moderator score or something.
Let the lads who put on the effort to learn how to master this during the week have the laurels.

My job here is done.

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:55:26 PM
Kawaii_kills (0)
< Cherub >
Florida

I want to be sure to thank "superjimtendo" for saving my saber tooth tiger buddy from certain neglect. And "richardhead" for shipping it! She will most likely be making cameos on my score pics from now on. 😝

photo 56102BF2-D01B-4B15-9433-42E8B0A6C493.jpg

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:57:27 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

Update

Also am drunk and wanted to update my avatar......

Whoooooo buddy. Nice. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:59:23 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Toxie owned this one. Brock also performed fantastically, especially for never having played it before.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:59:24 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Score updated. My little helper was excited I beat the game. Wondered why I kept playing...lol

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:01:33 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

Suspect!

Originally posted by: Richardhead

What is this appraise mode you speak of? I've never seen it!😳

Originally posted by: Kawaii_kills

153200 I want to be sure to thank "superjimtendo" for saving my saber tooth tiger buddy from certain neglect. And "richardhead" for shipping it! She will most likely be making cameos on my score pics from now on. 😝 

Thank you guys  

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:25:59 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Always the bridesmaid. There's gotta be something on this slate none of you f'ers are familiar with

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:39:42 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Always the bridesmaid. There's gotta be something on this slate none of you f'ers are familiar with

Become a wiz at Baseball.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:22:32 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Become a wiz at Baseball.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:07:19 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

And with the scores achieved, I kindly ask to put my score as the contest moderator score or something.
Let the lads who put on the effort to learn how to master this during the week have the laurels.

My job here is done.

I haven't replied to your request earlier this week, but I'll put a word here before taking the final decision. I think that everyone would like you to take first place and feel that they were competing with you the whole week, just like in the past contests. Your tips did helped players for sure, but tips are being shared in about every contest every week to a certain extent, so it is common ground.

Having expert of certain games competing is a part of the fun we have with the contest, and expert shouldn't feel bad to take their crown and reaffirm their excellence. Also, point-wise, you would only deprive eight players from 1 contest point, which is not a big problem considering the participation alone is worth 3 points this year. If anyone want to voice their opinion about this, please do.

In short, I want to invite you to accept a well earned 1st place (even if I know you WILL do better soon ).

Edited: 04/25/2016 at 01:07 AM by guillavoie

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:13:05 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
On a side note, I thought it was hilarious when I read Santa's news and all the jazz about my 2013 score, hehe. The thing is, even if I stayed quiet about it, even if I would be the first to congrats someone that tops it, I secretly wished that my score remains the contest record for longer

Maybe we need a News update on that matter Santa

Edited: 04/25/2016 at 01:16 AM by guillavoie

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:13:32 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I think Bea's score should stand. She earned that first place. And on a side note,this may be the most competitive season to date. So many close scores. I had over 219k,nearly double my score from the last time I played it in the contests and I just barely placed.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:38:17 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I think Bea's score should stand. She earned that first place. And on a side note,this may be the most competitive season to date. So many close scores. I had over 219k,nearly double my score from the last time I played it in the contests and I just barely placed.

Double Dragon may have been the closest. Everyone was kicking ass.

And you guys kicked ass at Ghosts n Goblins. I can't believe Brock never played it before. People who've been playing it for years can't get that score. He's a quick learner when it comes to almost any game.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:55:48 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Updated score.....673,100

I was creeping up on the top scores but by the time everything came together and I managed to get this score it was pretty much game over for me.

This game is well deserving of its difficulty but remains one of the most satisfying games on the system once you pull something off really awesome.

It looks like you're almost able to 1cc the entire game.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:34:39 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Man this is the third night in a row I wake up on the friggen couch at 4 in the morning with a damn sore back....I am glad GnG is over I practiced that damn game along with battletoads so much this week I was losing my sanity. No wonder I drank so much.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:05:21 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
I didn't even make the participation score, lmao.

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:42:50 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Originally posted by: mbd39

Updated score.....673,100

I was creeping up on the top scores but by the time everything came together and I managed to get this score it was pretty much game over for me.

This game is well deserving of its difficulty but remains one of the most satisfying games on the system once you pull something off really awesome.

It looks like you're almost able to 1cc the entire game.

To get that score you have to push points on both stage 1s and have little room for error.... I think Bea said an almost perfect score leaving stage 1 loop 2 was just over 700k.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:55:44 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
From my calculations, it should be possible to leave stage 1, loop 2 with over 740K points if start it with all 5 extra lives you will get during the loop 1 and with at least 380K points. You'd need to average at least 40K points per life to do that, which is no easy feat, as with the 4 mages and the fixed 10K king drop, you max at 36,500 points per life. You need more king drops for that to happen.
I haven't managed to figure out the drop manipulation array on loop 2 yet to allow that to happen. It might be possible to leave with more than 790K points if you somehow manage to hit 750K at your last life during your point pressing run, earning yourself another extra life and the chance to score 30K+ points with it before leaving to part 2 of the stage.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:09:55 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: guillavoie

My job here is done.

I haven't replied to your request earlier this week, but I'll put a word here before taking the final decision. I think that everyone would like you to take first place and feel that they were competing with you the whole week, just like in the past contests. Your tips did helped players for sure, but tips are being shared in about every contest every week to a certain extent, so it is common ground.

Having expert of certain games competing is a part of the fun we have with the contest, and expert shouldn't feel bad to take their crown and reaffirm their excellence. Also, point-wise, you would only deprive eight players from 1 contest point, which is not a big problem considering the participation alone is worth 3 points this year. If anyone want to voice their opinion about this, please do.

In short, I want to invite you to accept a well earned 1st place (even if I know you WILL do better soon ).

I agree to let Bea keep her score in the standings.  But, I believe some people have submitted honorary scores in the past so it would not be unprecendented to do so here.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:31:53 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

My job here is done.

I'm with you! She made everyone a better player!

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:01:31 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

My job here is done.

OK, I will accept the 1st place then.
I just feel it is not fair for I underperformed compared to what I could do know, considering how much more I know about the game. In 2011 I didn't know as much and in 2013 I had finished chemo 1 week prior to the challenge, so the low score was justifiable by then.
So I feel the guys who worked really hard to master the game during this week to post a nice score might be more deserving of those challenge score points than me for they over performed to get to that point.

And yes, I intend to do better soon. I am frustrated that I failed to even reach 800K points in my three nearly perfect loop 1 runs.
Gotta figure out how to reach the big million and do it on camera while my hands still work.

And once more, thanks for all the fun, lads. It was a great week. Much fun was had on my end.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:03:58 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Like to see you kept your 1st place score.....if it would have knocked one of a couple people whom I won't mention down to participation I may have wanted it the other way ahhahah!!!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:28:53 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Like to see you kept your 1st place score.....if it would have knocked one of a couple people whom I won't mention down to participation I may have wanted it the other way ahhahah!!!

I am still bloody disappointed with my score.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:32:40 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

600k-700k is a huge wall....to be able to successfully perfectly point push both stage 1s and then try to get through the second loop on 1 life is just ridiculous.

I hope you still go for it even though the contest is over....I would love to see the 1,000,000 points reached.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:41:28 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

600k-700k is a huge wall....to be able to successfully perfectly point push both stage 1s and then try to get through the second loop on 1 life is just ridiculous.

I hope you still go for it even though the contest is over....I would love to see the 1,000,000 points reached.

I could have done much better with point farming on the second loop of stage 1, which is mostly why I am disappointed.
And I will push for the big one million points regardless of the contest. I just need to acquire video recording hardware once I manage to get close to that so I can have video proof of the deed.
That ought to happen this year. With essential tremor quickly degrating my eye-hand coordination, the time to do this is this year. So I will just do it.