Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2013 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Winter Tournament: Round 1 - Galaga Round 1 ends Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 11 PM NA time

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:52:50 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Originally posted by: Logo1285

Nice score there, bearcat-doug! I have since beaten my old score and taken a picture but I am going to continue playing to see if I can better that one. Don't want to flood the thread with 50 posts of me improving my score if I can avoid it lol.

It took me longer than I thought just to get that. If there were time machines, my 6 year old self would travel to the present and make fun of me for how bad my skills have fallen off.

I second this. I feel embarassed that I'm having trouble getting past 200k.

That's how I felt when I played this in one of the previous tournaments. There is definitely something different about this version. The arcade is easier.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. In the arcade version I usually didn't lose a life until around stage 15 or so. This version it's usually way before that. >=( I'm thinking Nintendo ported over one of the harder revisions of the arcade.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:47:52 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. In the arcade version I usually didn't lose a life until around stage 15 or so. This version it's usually way before that. >=( I'm thinking Nintendo ported over one of the harder revisions of the arcade.
At least I'm not imagining things. I could've sworn the Namco Museum version was a lot easier.

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:22:25 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
I haven't played the arcade in years. I think I may have to find one to play and check it out.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:23:37 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

At least I'm not imagining things. I could've sworn the Namco Museum version was a lot easier.

Maybe it's just a matter of which version you played first?  I started out on the NES version and didn't play the arcade until much later.  Oh well.

P.S. Doug, like your new avatar.    Are you a Vikings fan or a Favre fan (or both)?  I'm a lifetime Vikings fan!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Edited: 01/01/2014 at 12:24 PM by rdrunner

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:36:57 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Maybe it's just a matter of which version you played first?  I started out on the NES version and didn't play the arcade until much later.  Oh well.

P.S. Doug, like your new avatar.    Are you a Vikings fan or a Favre fan (or both)?  I'm a lifetime Vikings fan!

I played the arcade version as a kid, then the Namco Museum version for the Playstation when it came out. I'm not sure how long ago I bought the NES version (I'm thinking a year or two), but I hadn't played it until then. The Brett Favre avatar is a reference to my post on the first page about filling in for EoTN in the tournament after I was originally going to sit it out. The same thing happened in the summer tournament so I'm starting to feel like Brett Favre with all of these comebacks after I planned on taking the time off.

Edited: 01/01/2014 at 12:37 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:49:33 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
edit: old score removed new score posted.

i am trying to find a copy of this game locally before the contest is out but our main old school game store doesnt have any. hopefully the guy at the flea market has one on saturday. this version is definetly a little different from the arcade. i can usually break 250,000 on a real machine without really breaking a sweat. this version is definetly a little choppy on the animations and seems to throw bullets pretty close to the bottom of the screen. should be able to up the score with a little practice.

true story: i used to work at this pizza place and we had a few games. one time after hours this chick gave me a blowjob while i played the galaga machine. i made it to about level 12 before i lost my last guy. i will never forget the sound of the back of her head against the coin box.

Edited: 01/05/2014 at 03:57 PM by fatalfuryspecial

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:21:10 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: dev(2)

The last and best score of 2013 ? :-)

What version of this are you playing?  I can tell this is not the NTSC version, as there is no "Licensed by Nintendo" on the title screen.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:55:21 AM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
I played some today, and didnt even beat the generic high score posted. So I'll be practicing some more before I post a photo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:19:59 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I hate this version I've played the arcade with and without rapid fire, and while I think no rapid fire makes the game a bit harder, I don't remember seeing such a barrage of bombs from the enemies like I've seen on this--especially not so early on in the game. Although, I noticed that there is a wider hit box on the enemies than I was used to, at least when playing with rapid fire. The enemies do move slower on the NES and is really apparent in the bonus stage with the galaxian ships.

At any rate, I'm not close to the score I posted last time, but I'm not sure if I'll have more time to play so here it is.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:45:51 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^Yeah,I noticed that too. TONS of fire from enemies in relatively early stages that I know I didn't see in the arcade version until much later. I'll be able to work on my score more from tonight until the week is over,but I'm not sure how much improvement (if any) I'll make.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:19:11 AM
rdrunner (35)
North Carolina
I once tried using rapid fire on this game.  It didn't really help much unless you were directly underneath a large group of enemies.  Otherwise all you get is a pair of bullets (or 2 pair with the double fighter) that stop you from firing again until they hit something or leave the screen.

I prefer to shoot single shots in case I miss.  Besides, you can simulate turbo easily with a normal controller.  Just hit both the A and B buttons at once.

The Brett Favre avatar is a reference to my post on the first page about filling in for EoTN in the tournament after I was originally going to sit it out. The same thing happened in the summer tournament so I'm starting to feel like Brett Favre with all of these comebacks after I planned on taking the time off.

Funny.  I remember that comment now that you said it.   Still like the pic!

I never really liked how Favre was so indecisive about retirement and conveniently skipped training camps.  I still respect the guy (even when he was a Packer) for at least being about to play at a high level each time he came back.

Tom Votava

Edited: 01/02/2014 at 08:19 AM by rdrunner

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:40:12 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I never really liked how Favre was so indecisive about retirement and conveniently skipped training camps.  I still respect the guy (even when he was a Packer) for at least being about to play at a high level each time he came back.

I tried skipping some of the contests this half to keep from getting burned out and I had planned on taking the tournament off, but I ended up coming back to fill in due to a last minute cancellation (like last time), so hopefully I can finish this one out strong like I did in the summer.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:35:28 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Nice score there, bearcat-doug! I have since beaten my old score and taken a picture but I am going to continue playing to see if I can better that one. Don't want to flood the thread with 50 posts of me improving my score if I can avoid it lol.
I was able to bump mine up, but I still haven't gotten anywhere near where I was hoping to.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:56:07 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

I once tried using rapid fire on this game.  It didn't really help much unless you were directly underneath a large group of enemies.  Otherwise all you get is a pair of bullets (or 2 pair with the double fighter) that stop you from firing again until they hit something or leave the screen.

I prefer to shoot single shots in case I miss.  Besides, you can simulate turbo easily with a normal controller.  Just hit both the A and B buttons at once.
By "rapid fire" I was referring to the "fast shot" setting in Galaga arcade. Nothing beats that!

If I have time, I'll try the A and B together and see how it goes.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:56:00 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
PM Bimmy

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:21:05 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
242,380update

now i am at least not embarassed of my posted score...but...i still have some work to do

and...since we are all using wrestlers as our designated mascots...im giving this one up to THE AMERICAN DREAM...DUSTY RHODES!

Edited: 01/05/2014 at 08:56 PM by mattyjmania

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:51:55 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^Kind of wondering myself what the over/under line will be. I know my current score is pretty shaky to be able to advance.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:08:35 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Finally broke 200k. Should have a picture up soon. I'll update this post with it.

EDIT: 217,140 - Score Updated!!

Couldn't have done it without The Ultimate Warrior.

Edited: 01/02/2014 at 06:10 PM by Logo1285

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:03:24 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Finally broke 200k. Should have a picture up soon. I'll update this post with it.

EDIT: 217,140 - Score Updated!!

Couldn't have done it without The Ultimate Warrior.

The Ultimate Warrior highly approves of this.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:35:58 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

^Kind of wondering myself what the over/under line will be. I know my current score is pretty shaky to be able to advance.
Tom is probably still playing on his first life from Sunday evening so I'll put the over at around 15 million or so.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:45:10 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Tom is probably still playing on his first life from Sunday evening so I'll put the over at around 15 million or so.

I don't have to beat his score,just the lowest. I'm like Glass Joe against Tom.... I beat him once but have lost 99 other times.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:39:27 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington

I rarely play this game, but I did try my best. My timing is just off or something. Either way I'm not going to have time this week to play anymore so here's my final. I have two other pics if the clarity isn't good enough for this one. Also man, getting that second ship really helps out, but being twice as wide can freaking hurt you. Especially when they start dive bombing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:30:31 PM
rdrunner (35)
North Carolina

No 15 million this time.  I honestly hoped this game would never get picked again after last year.

Taking off for the weekend.  Best of luck to everyone!

Tom Votava

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:26:22 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

No 15 million this time.  I honestly hoped this game would never get picked again after last year.

Taking off for the weekend.  Best of luck to everyone!

wow Tom!

great score man!!

i def dont stand a chance coming close to this one

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:02:22 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
As dumb as this may sound,if this was the arcade version I think I could actually compete with that score. There's just something off about this version and I haven't adjusted to it yet....at least on the later levels.