NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Mr. Gimmick NTSC?

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:57:49 PM
snescentral (0)
(Evan Gowan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Japan
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that the only source you used to "support" your argument supported Dream's instead. They very well may have declared some sort of bankruptcy, I don't know much about their financial situation during that time period, I was referring specifically to that one link. Sorry man.

I don't know what you are talking about. The links I had to Daze Before Christmas and Road Runner 2 have comments from two Sunsoft employees saying the games were canceled due to Sunsoft going bankrupt. And the Wikipedia link states they went through restructuring in the face of bankruptcy (ie Chapter 11). As an example, GM declared chapter 11 bankruptcy in June, but they are still out there making cars.

Unfortunately, video game reporting was extremely poor back in 1995, and I couldn't find a published source to confirm this (note the lack of sources on the Wikipedia page as well). I am inclined to believe what the producer at Sunsoft during the time has to say, and he says bankruptcy. Here is an excerpt from an email I got from the producer at Sunsoft:

-----
Last info I want to share with you is the reasons for the cancellation.
Although I've conveyed here that the game lacked depth by that point, the
big event was Sunsoft's closure for bankruptcy. Casualities were:

SNES: Sylvester & Tweety (Nice artwork - A single level demo with you controlling Sylvester was shown at E3 or CES around 1994 or 1995. I think it was in development by Visual Concepts.

Kung Fu: The Legend Continues (Yes, based on the lame tv show! We had 2 levels, and the main character moving around. It was in development by Park Place. It was cancelled when we found out THEY were going bankrupt, several months before the axe fell at Sunsoft too).

Most other games that were not near enough completion met similar fates. Those that were pretty much at the 95% or higher completion were finished and sold off to Acclaim Entertainment for distribution. These included:

Looney Tunes BBall Speedy Gonzales Justice League Task Force Scooby-Doo Mystery possibly more...

Edited: 11/23/2009 at 12:58 PM by snescentral

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:57:17 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Evan: You made THIS comment:

A more likely reason is that Sunsoft of America was starting to have troubles by 1994. There are a bunch of unreleased SNES games that never made it out of the door because Sunsoft was done sometime in 1995."

You said Sunsoft was "done", meaning you implied they dissolved, not restructured. You've cleared up what you actually meant, but yes, there were issues of bankruptcy but the company kept going. They never stopped but they took on many hats...they even got into Game Boy stuff with Final Fantasy and Tale Spin among other stuff (though I am confused about the dates on those) but it is clear they were around until 2001 or so when they shut their doors, threw things in the dumpsters, and cleaned out storage. The last two games they made were Blaster Master Blasting Again and Eternal Eyes that did not get released for almost a year or so until Crave released them as budget games (dates might be crazy on those too).

Reminds me....I have an unreleased arcade game called Punky Doodle with marquee and sideart that came from the gentleman that created the game, and he had some pretty fond times over at Sunsoft...it's one of those places I would have loved to work but in the 90s I was working at a video game magazine when Sunsoft was making stuff like Chameleon Twist...

-------------------------
www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:43:29 PM
snescentral (0)
(Evan Gowan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Japan
They were done in 1995! They went bankrupt! They sold off their games to Acclaim!

Sure, they restructured and ended up publishing games later, but in 1995 the studio was in deep trouble.

Semantics... it is amazing how picky people can be.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:08:08 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Had to chime in here heh. I am pretty sure there is a rom of the NTSC US version floating arround, I used to have it in a file with the PAL and NTSC J.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:36:54 AM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
If there is then it was never distributed and you somehow got someone's private ROM. Or maybe someone did a hack? It would make sense.

Edited: 11/24/2009 at 02:37 AM by TheRedEye

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:34:45 PM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Mr. Gimmick

Had to chime in here heh. I am pretty sure there is a rom of the NTSC US version floating arround, I used to have it in a file with the PAL and NTSC J.

Well sir you must now find said ROM, and then a cart can and will be made.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:36:45 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: badinsults

They were done in 1995! They went bankrupt! They sold off their games to Acclaim!

Sure, they restructured and ended up publishing games later, but in 1995 the studio was in deep trouble.

Semantics... it is amazing how picky people can be.

All I know is the studio did not close, LOL...I thought you told me on IRC you "liked" drama, hahahah

Mr. Gimmick: Had to be a hack, I don't even have my own dumped.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:41:01 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
It very well could have been a hack, no idea. I will have to dig through my files and see if I can find it. Hack or not it would work either way on a cart most likely,

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:36:08 PM
Leroy (9)
(Larry Capasso) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
Ufouria (US) would be another casualty of this Sunsoft nonsense, I'd imagine.

Both games are amazing.

Check out my Game Boy music: http://pixyjunket.bandcamp.com/...
I run a Dallas area 3DS StreetPass group: https://www.facebook.com/StreetPa...

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:14:48 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
I really think it is difficult to get on to a cart...it's an MMC5 maybe? I don't know, but it's definitely something relatively tougher and expensive..

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:18:24 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
Yeah, I believe sunsoft had their own custom mapper, so that makes things pretty tricky to repro.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:45:09 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
You know, anyone wanting a Gimmick "repro" should just get the Famicom cart instead. It has the music chip, and the only difference between it and the Euro/U.S. game that I know of is the title screen.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:56:30 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

You know, anyone wanting a Gimmick "repro" should just get the Famicom cart instead. It has the music chip, and the only difference between it and the Euro/U.S. game that I know of is the title screen.

Quoted for the truth!

Tho the carts are pretty rare and will run you $40 or so, and CIB will run you about $90. Still way cheaper than PAL and the extra sound is totally worth it!

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:35:55 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Mr. Gimmick

Yeah, I believe sunsoft had their own custom mapper, so that makes things pretty tricky to repro.

The only US game that uses this same mapper is Batman: Return of the Joker.  It would definitely cost a bit more for donors than it would on most projects, but a repro run of 25 or so would not be out of the question.  At the same time, I'd have a hard time sacrificing a relatively uncommon game to begin with, but others may be more willing.

Although I don't know for a fact, I bet some talented people could manipulate the game to work on a more common mapper, though it could be a big job.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:25:05 AM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:32:36 PM
Leroy (9)
(Larry Capasso) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
I would imagine that a small run (25/50?) requiring a Batman donor cart (if that's the only way a repro could be made) would still be filled pretty quickly, the game is known to be amazing.

Oh? Does the Japanese game have no text, even in the ending(s)? Also, won't the added music channels only play on a Famicom?

Check out my Game Boy music: http://pixyjunket.bandcamp.com/...
I run a Dallas area 3DS StreetPass group: https://www.facebook.com/StreetPa...

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:09:18 PM
Airlock (19)
(- Gordon -) < El Ripper >
Indiana

Another little difference is that the PAL version gives you 5 lives while the Famicom version only gives you 3.

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:35:30 PM
marvelus10 (46)

British Columbia
It shouldn't be too hard to make a PAL repro using the Batman cart but then you still have the graphical glitches when running on an NTSC system. As for running a (J) NTSC cart I thought there was some character changes when it was released for Europe, I would assume the same for the NTSC proto as well, I could be wrong and confusing it with something else though. Also I dont think the (J) version of Gimmick will work with the (U) version of Batman either maybe someone with more knowledge of these mappers could join in and elaborate.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:06:21 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
Didn't you look at that thread I posted? You can get gimmick jap running on a batman cart. And with some added hardware (a sound chip and some decoders) you can get the extra sound running. (if you mod your nes to actually mix it in)

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:33:22 AM
Hilmarf (13)
(Tork Anonymous) < El Ripper >
Norway
Originally posted by: jero32

Didn't you look at that thread I posted? You can get gimmick jap running on a batman cart. And with some added hardware (a sound chip and some decoders) you can get the extra sound running. (if you mod your nes to actually mix it in)

Sorry for bumping this topic, but can you also emulate the japanese gimmick rom on a nes with resistor mod and get the extra channels, or doesn't powerpak emulate the special sound chip?

Edited: 01/27/2011 at 11:33 AM by Hilmarf

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:27:43 PM
marvelus10 (46)

British Columbia
Yes it does, I just played it. You will need resistor mod and Loopy's mapper set, I think are all included in the latest release mapper pack on RetroZone.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:45:23 PM
bucky (0)
(Roy Scheider) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Leroy

I would imagine that a small run (25/50?) requiring a Batman donor cart (if that's the only way a repro could be made) would still be filled pretty quickly, the game is known to be amazing.

Oh? Does the Japanese game have no text, even in the ending(s)? Also, won't the added music channels only play on a Famicom?

Ah yeah, there's no text or anything you have to worry about in the Famicom version. Even the credits are still in English anyways.

I'd be interested in seeing an NTSC Mr. Gimmick ROM, if only to make sampling the European version of the soundtrack from hardware easier for me. The PAL version is indeed comparable to something like Akumajou Densetsu vs. Castlevania III, as the music was rearranged for the 5 sound channels, they expansion isn't merely 'missing'. 

But playing the PAL version on my NTSC NES messes up the audio-- the pitch is affected as you'd expect but I believe the pitched DPCM stays the same, making the bassline horribly out of tune with the rest of the soundtrack.

I do prefer the original expansion audio version a lot, but Gimmick! is easily one of my favorite video games and video game soundtracks, so I'd sample both versions if I could. I recently picked up Gimmick! on cart, b/c I'm not certain how accurate FME-07 emulation is, even with the powerpak + resistor mod. I've heard different NSF players make the expansion sound a bit different, so until I get some hardware recordings from the cart (very soon), I have no idea which is most accurate.

I'll share the results for the heck of it here.

Edited: 02/09/2011 at 04:52 PM by bucky

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:28:49 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
I have no problem dumping NTSC Gimmick for monies but we know how that goes over sometimes, LOL

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:06:58 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Maybe instead of a community dump we could do a community purchase(assuming it's for sale?) Once we buy the game we could dump it/make repros/whatever to recoup some of the expenses. Once it's dumped/repro'd/etc maybe auction the cart off to benefit NA? For $20 you'd be making the NTSC version possible, and be able to get a repro(maybe a discount on repros for those who donated $20), plus you'd be benefitting NA... and get a cool new icon next to your name!(right???) =)

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:16:43 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
RetroZone would make so much money if they reproed it. It seems like an obvious conclusion.

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.