Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Duck Tales Contest ends Sunday, 8/3/14 at 11 PM NA time

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:25:24 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

If you got that score without using Launchpad, then you didn't miss much.  I think there is only around 9.5 mil worth of stuff if you don't leave and come back.

That's correct.  I think I nailed the Amazon, Transylvania, and Moon stages.  I'm fairly sure I cleaned out the Himalayas but I thought I missed most of the African Mines stage.

Now that I understand how the bonus stages work as well as the timer glitch, I should be able to improve by a good amount.  I hope. 

If you picked up the big treasure in Africa then you probably only missed a couple hundred thousand points.

Using Launchpad, even without the bonus stages, will add at least 1.5 mil to your score if you use him well.

The timer glitch is tougher than I expected.  I think I have snagged it once out of 4 attempts.
325k per level is worth the effort though, since I am sure that is what it will take to win.

also, tried some point grinding and it is extremely tedious and unrewarding compared to how many points you get everywhere else in the game.
Might add up to as much as 1 million points, or more, if you found a good place and burned up all of your extra lives.
But I wouldn't count on it.

-------------------------

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:32:00 AM
Czar5 (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
Michigan
I lost money somehow.  I know I was on pace for at least 12 Mil. and dont know what happened.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:52:16 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
You unfortunately pressed on select to full your energy for the modest sum of $3 Millions. This 'select function' sucks.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:30:23 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Czar5

I lost money somehow.  I know I was on pace for at least 12 Mil. and dont know what happened.

This is why we suggested taking the picture at a safe spot in the last level.

Finishing the game is worth nothing in terms of points.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:09:31 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: khog143

Also, as a suggestion Bimmy,I took my picture at the beginning of the last stage to show that I had more than 0 lives, since you can't get any more money on that stage (at least to my knowledge, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  Might want to have people take the picture there rather than after defeating Dracula Duck.

In my run last night I did manage to squeeze a big diamond out of one of the enemies in the last stage, which did tack on to the final point total.

I realize that in the overall scheme of things it is probably irrelevant, but I wanted to set the record straight!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:17:49 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Also, as a suggestion Bimmy,I took my picture at the beginning of the last stage to show that I had more than 0 lives, since you can't get any more money on that stage (at least to my knowledge, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  Might want to have people take the picture there rather than after defeating Dracula Duck.

In my run last night I did manage to squeeze a big diamond out of one of the enemies in the last stage, which did tack on to the final point total.

I realize that in the overall scheme of things it is probably irrelevant, but I wanted to set the record straight!

Sure, I guess if somebody wanted to point-press the last level, on their last life, they could probably eek out another 5 or 10 gems.  But point-pressing is so slow and sporadic in this game that I don't think I'd expect it to result in huge score differentiation.

But even then, the fact remains that the final boss is worthless, so if you grind out your final lives point-pressing, you STILL might as well stop and take a picture at the beginning of the level of Life 0...

The real magic would be if the timer-glitch worked on the last level.

Edited: 07/30/2014 at 10:18 AM by arch_8ngel

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:03:05 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: guillavoie

You unfortunately pressed on select to full your energy for the modest sum of $3 Millions. This 'select function' sucks.

I've played this game for over 20 years and never knew that.  TIL

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:48:34 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
So many things I never even knew about this game until this contest. I played the hell out of this game as a kid (more so the GB version) and never knew about refilling your life by pressing select, the timer glitch, or even the Launch Pad/Gyro bonus levels. Mind = blown. I'll be posting results soon.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:14:33 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
So I may not get to correct my goof up from earlier this week as my right hand sustained some pretty nasty burns last night. Nothing crippling or deforming,but definitely very painful.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:02:53 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
I'm not sure about if we should consider the timer glitch legit. I mean, yes this is hard to trigger, but at the same time it is clearly an exploitation. I personally think that being swift while collecting everything should be more important then waiting last second to beat a boss. Any thoughts on this? This said, I'm not against allowing it either.

Edited: 07/30/2014 at 10:14 PM by guillavoie

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:27:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I'm not sure about if we should consider the timer glitch legit. I mean, yes this is hard to trigger, but at the same time it is clearly an exploitation. I personally think that being swift while collecting everything should be more important then waiting last second to beat a boss. Any thoughts on this? This said, I'm not against allowing it either.

I tried it and it is pretty tough to pull off, but I agree that it completely nukes the pacing of the game.  (Though the same goes for point pressing yourself to death)

I think it should probably be fair game, because it is way more rewarding than point pressing, and less random (more skill based) way to differentiate the highest scores.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:29:52 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

I tried it and it is pretty tough to pull off, but I agree that it completely nukes the pacing of the game.  (Though the same goes for point pressing yourself to death)

I think it should probably be fair game, because it is way more rewarding than point pressing, and less random (more skill based) way to differentiate the highest scores.

I'm okay with that, and I'll probably try it a few times to see if I'm comfortable to do it on certain bosses, but I don't think I'll count on this before getting a very high score without it.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:32:56 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

O

I'm okay with that, and I'll probably try it a few times to see if I'm comfortable to do it on certain bosses, but I don't think I'll count on this before getting a very high score without it.

All the bosses are comparably easy, it is just a question of how much level you have to traverse to get back if you screw up.
And if you miss it by having 1 second on the clock there is no second chance, so pretty high risk, over all.

Seriously wondering how you got over 13 mil without the timer glitch.  I am not seeing how that is possible.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:40:51 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

O

All the bosses are comparably easy, it is just a question of how much level you have to traverse to get back if you screw up.
And if you miss it by having 1 second on the clock there is no second chance, so pretty high risk, over all.

Seriously wondering how you got over 13 mil without the timer glitch.  I am not seeing how that is possible.

Well, I'm simply a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, so far I haven't remembered everything I done in order to do this. This was several years ago, and I haven't touched this game since, so I need to find back some of the tricks I performed to attain that score without the glitch. In fact, I don't even remember if I used the glitch, but I'm pretty sure not.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:22:36 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:30:17 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
I couldn't resist the opportunity to play Duck Tales at least once this week. About a year ago I played this game extensively to get all three endings, which at the time I had never done before. So I really don't feel the need to go to crazy this week, but you never know what might happen.

Also, does anyone know what changes in this game when you play on difficult?

Edited: 07/30/2014 at 11:55 PM by BriGuy82

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:59:36 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Basically lots of health items are replaced by gems.

Also, you take more damage.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:09:59 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

Thanks Arch... I read your post in the begining of the thread about taking this season off and coming back at the start of 2015 and I laughed because I was originally planning on doing the same thing. Didn't work out too well though.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:11:50 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Thanks Arch... I read your post in the begining of the thread about taking this season off and coming back at the start of 2015 and I laughed because I was originally planning on doing the same thing. Didn't work out too well though.

Looking over the game list, I probably will sit most of it out.

I haven't played Ducktales in ages, though, so I wanted to see how I would do and look at the game from an angle I'd never really bothered with before.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:20:20 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

Looking over the game list, I probably will sit most of it out.

I haven't played Ducktales in ages, though, so I wanted to see how I would do and look at the game from an angle I'd never really bothered with before.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to cut back on the playing time a little bit this time around. But l'm really intrigued by the list of games because most of them I've never played before. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:23:06 AM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas

This is why this game interested me so much.  I've played this game hundreds of times, but for some reason I have never tried to get as high a score as possible.  I always just either played for a quick fun time, or I would speed run it.  I never even knew about certain things like the timer boss glitch before this week.  Unfortunately, whatever score I rack up tonight/tomorrow will have to stand as my score, since I'm going out of town until Sunday tomorrow afternoon.  I might try on an emulator, but I don't know how well a platformer like Ducktales will translate to playing on a keyboard.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:27:41 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

This is why this game interested me so much.  I've played this game hundreds of times, but for some reason I have never tried to get as high a score as possible.  I always just either played for a quick fun time, or I would speed run it.  I never even knew about certain things like the timer boss glitch before this week.  Unfortunately, whatever score I rack up tonight/tomorrow will have to stand as my score, since I'm going out of town until Sunday tomorrow afternoon.  I might try on an emulator, but I don't know how well a platformer like Ducktales will translate to playing on a keyboard.

Yeah, neither did I.

I'm sure my methods aren't purist enough for some people, but I realize that knowledge is power, so after I've played through a game a few times I do some research on the scoring mechanisms.

I don't think it is any different than football players studying video of the opposing team, or race car drivers studying a track layout ahead of time.  (as opposed to cheat codes which would be like baseball players taking steroids)

Maybe it puts an asterisk next to my performance in some people's books, but it still comes down to the execution and the gaming skill to pull it off.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:17:44 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Sadly, I won't be playing anymore since I have a wedding in Charleston, SC this weekend (leaving early tomorrow morning) 'cause I love this game.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:07:13 PM
Velinos (11)

(Noah ) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
Not too bad attempt, but I missed the one of the hidden treasures. I'll try again this weekend.

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:25:47 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
I decided against competing this week as I haven't for awhile. I do enjoy the game and have beaten it many times, I just prefer to not. Great scores so far guys!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?