Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Combine NA, PSA, and SA into one site

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:57:42 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
PlaystationAge and SegaAge have been dead for a long time, and I think it would benefit all to combine the 3, but keep seperate forums for each brand.  It would cut the cost of running the sites, and it would give each section a boost in activity.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I couldnt find anything on it.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:12:11 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Main issue I see is with the game databases. Your suggestion may work for forum activity, but not sure about other things.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:57:36 PM
Silverspoon (33)
Nebraska
What do you mean Cap? The collection databases are already there and accessible from all sites as the same.

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:16:56 PM
Silverspoon (33)
Nebraska
Combining them would be amazing for the rare games running totals lists!

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:41:01 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
I really wish the other sites got more traffic, but they seem dead whenever I go over there. Combining them might be a good idea if it's feasible.

-------------------------
Let's Go Penguins!

Edited: 06/15/2018 at 04:41 PM by dr.robbie

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:24:22 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
I really like this idea. So many great games to talk about with the other consoles. My only concern is if there are sections for every console it will start to feel the same as many other gaming forums.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:16:07 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
SA and PSA might as well not exist. There isn't any foot traffic at all pretty much. I am a mod on PSA and even with trying to make constant threads, and respond to every single thread, it just ends up being the same 4 people very obviously trying to force conversation.

I have tried promoting PSA and i have tried to get people from here to visit there, but no luck.

It really just makes sense to have all 3 under one website. That it will get more foot traffic. And maybe the sega and playstation subforums won't get as much action as the nintendo subforum, but i think they will at least get a significant amount more traffic than they do now.

gamevaluenow

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:51:20 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Sony and Sega suck!

In all seriousness I wouldn't like this. My gaming interests are like 95% Nintendo. People can and do talk about other systems here of course and I think that works well. I personally wouldn't like the site as much if there were dedicated spaces for other companies, there is a reason I don't spend any time on SA or PSA.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:24:03 AM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
I've brought this idea up before on PSA and if I remember correctly it was not particularly well recieved. In fact there seems to be some animosity over even the name change to playstationage.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:25:57 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I think it would be a good idea just from an efficiency standpoint. Id rather have one website to visit to browse through all my classic gaming interests. Im not much of a playstation guy but do enjoy Sega.

Atariage seems to do this concept well. They have subforums for classic/modern systems. And i love browsing that site but for whatever reason can never bring myself to post there.

Other than technical issues why not bring them together? Worst case scenario people that weren't interested to begin with dont look at those threads. Best case, more variety of topics and some people might find something interesting they may not have found before.

Also i did just pop into segaage and it said 1 user logged in....I really dont see a reason to keep it livd and seperate with that kind of traffic.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:40:57 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
The only reason I don't go to PSA, or SA is because there isn't enough traffic...the reason there isn't enough traffic is because everyone just uses NintendoAge, or other forums/communities.

I'm in the "indifferent" camp since a majority of my interest in Nintendo, with everything else being ancient history: Atari, Magnavox, Coleco, INTV, Pre-DK Nintendo, Pre-Sonic Sega, Retro PC games, Arcade, and modern PC games.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 06/16/2018 at 09:41 AM by PowerPlayers

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:09:18 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
EDIT:  You know...after thinking about this, there really isn't anything precluding anyone from talking about Sega, Sony, or anything else here.  

If you look at the forum sections - Collector's Corner, Gamer's Gauntlet, Price Check, etc etc etc., they could really be applicable to anything.  And we neither dissalow nor even frown upon people trading or talking about non-Nintendo items.

Heck, hammerfestus just made a thread talking about PS1 games here:  http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

So...I'm not really sure what changes would need to be made, other than explaining that people are obviously free to discuss whatever they want to here and are more than welcome to talk about other consoles and trade those items.

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Edited: 06/16/2018 at 11:24 AM by sadikyo

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:25:10 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: sadikyo
I'm personally quite interested in Sega and Sony in addition to Nintendo. I guess it would be a bit strange with this being "nintendoage," but I still could definitely see the benefits of having a section here for other consoles.

Obviously it would be up to the people who actually have to do the work, and I'm curious what the communities over there would think, but I don't think it's a bad suggestion at all, even if it doesn't come to fruition.
Yeah that is the issue is the name NA is deceiving, and that is NEVER changing lol But even if it were called NintendoAge, i still think there would be more foot traffic and threads in the sega and sony subforums than the actual SA and PSA websites themselves combined. 

There really is no reason for PSA and SA to even exist when it gets maybe a post or two a week, sometimes less, sometimes a little more. 

For the people saying they are only interested in Nintendo, that is fine, you can still do all the same NA stuff. There will just be other sections for other people who are interested, and you can just ignore them.

Maybe it can be something subtle at first. Like just making two new tabs at the top that switch between the 3 websites Forum home pages, so you can easily cycle between them. Maybe that still won't get people to post, but it wouldn't take much to do and isn't too intrusive to NA. 

Edit- For your edit, this is definitely true, and maybe there just isn't enough people interested in sony or sega and that is why we don't see too many posts here on NA for them. I personally notice that Sony fans tend to gravitate to FB groups more. 

gamevaluenow

Edited: 06/16/2018 at 11:30 AM by xMaGuSx

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:28:50 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
If it could be done in an easy way that would sort of "appease" everyone I'm sure that'd be great. There are advantages and disadvantages to changing things up. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a different kind of integration where it is easier to go back and forth or connect with all of the content, but I'm not sure how much work that would be so I can't really speak to that side of it.

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:34:22 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: sadikyo

If it could be done in an easy way that would sort of "appease" everyone I'm sure that'd be great. There are advantages and disadvantages to changing things up. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a different kind of integration where it is easier to go back and forth or connect with all of the content, but I'm not sure how much work that would be so I can't really speak to that side of it.
I actually noticed what i had recommended already exists! All this time, i didn't even notice the "sister sites" tab in the top right of the page. That is what i was thinking, but clearly it doesn't get people over to those websites. It sadly might just be people just aren't interested in a forum for those companies like they are for Nintendo. 

gamevaluenow

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:53:35 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
IMHO, if Dain were to even consider doing this, the best approach is likely to formerly archive those other sites, make a significant back-end update to NintendoAge, adding forums with sub-forums (one master forum for each system, plus another forum hub for all-inclusive discussions that are non-system specific, and maybe even one other top-level forum for all Buy/Sell/Trading) and then rebrand the entire site.

This may sound like a weird way of solving the problem, but this is coming from the perspective of a developer. Merging the other sites could be tedious. As they say, the devil is often in the details, and merging 3 sites in one that seem a bit custom might be harder than it seems.

I think this is a great idea because, let's be honest, we may all be Nintendo fans but we also ask questions about price checking for anything game related, buy & sell everything and generally discuss everything there is to talk about regarding gaming and collecting.

I'll like the idea of one, unified site but I also don't know how practical merging them might be. Adding forums and rebranding this one might be the best option.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:54:50 AM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Could Sega/PlayStation subforums be small enough to not detract from the Nintendo focus but still allow an area for others? Maybe one subforum devoted to Nintendo competitors would be a good start.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:05:46 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Regardless of merging, i know PSA needs to streamline its forum. I am trying to speak with the other mods and get something going.

THe site is diced up into WAY too many subforums that are just unecessary. I think even with how busy NA is, if we were to dice this place up by system and the many other ways PSA does it, this place would be far less entertaining and active.

gamevaluenow

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:16:46 PM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
Meh. I just ignore the fact that this is called nintendoage. It has a wide variety of collectors. If someone wants me to only post Nintendo stuff...well that's just too bad innit.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:46:33 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I've actually thought about this for a while... in the forum area of each site, there would be a selector at the top(or wherever) to switch to the other "brands" but you could keep each site's main branding if you prefer that. I need to think on this more, but I've been wanting to do this for a long time.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:59:07 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:01:05 AM
Silverspoon (33)
Nebraska
Im a Sony guy. Thats where my heart lies. I would love to have an active place to go with more Playstation chat.

Can NA beat every PS2 game in a year?

Edited: 07/12/2018 at 10:02 AM by Silverspoon

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:11:30 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I was originally sent here by SegaAge.com in my "introduce yourself post" - saying there would be more traffic here. So I don't know if the "scene" is big enough to support 3 forums, when most people collect for an assortment of consoles (not just Nintendo) and are pretty open about it.

sega-saturn.org - coming soon
a repository for retrospective articles and reviews on the Saturn.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:29:25 PM
PuppyWaffles (114)
(Matt ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
Well the real question is what do the Xbox guys think?
In all honesty Nintendo basically just means video games at this point. Merge them and lets have one giant awesome community! Bring the Pico games with ya!

Got some Japanese N64 CIBs you wanna sell in good condition? I'm probably your guy!

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:34:04 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Xboxage.com is registered.

sega-saturn.org - coming soon
a repository for retrospective articles and reviews on the Saturn.