Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Grading an opened but signed game Is it possible?

Jul 03 at 1:12:30 PM
ProtonX (380)
(ProtonX Atomic) < Lolo Lord >
Oregon
Picked up a copy of Donkey Kong Country Returns game where the insert was signed by all the developers. Is is possible to grade something like this? Reached out to Wata a few weeks ago, but got no response... anyone have any ideas or suggestions? The guy I got it from worked for Retro Studios during the release. I also was able to get one of his sketchbooks from when he worked there.

Edited: 07/03/2019 at 01:43 PM by ProtonX

Jul 03 at 1:28:03 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: ProtonX

Picked up a Nintendo game where the insert was signed by all the developers. Is is possible to grade something like this? Reached out to Wata a few weeks ago, but got no response... anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

The game and inserts can be graded and certified of course. If you can prove the dev team signed the insert they may add a note to the label. I say this because I was told at MGC they would grade my Tom Dubois signed carts I got at the show. It is certain Tom signed them.

Jul 03 at 1:30:23 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I just feel kinda bad cuz you're trading signatures you can view or even display for a little sign that is like "there's totally signatures inside this box, trust me".

-------------------------

Jul 03 at 1:32:37 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Sure but writing on the item is going to drastically decrease the grade, why would you want to quantify that? You'd get a better grade on something that isn't signed.

Jul 03 at 1:41:48 PM
ProtonX (380)
Oregon
Added a picture of the game- it's brand new other than opened to be signed.

Also I agree it would lower the grade if it's just considered writing...

Edited: 07/03/2019 at 01:42 PM by ProtonX

Jul 03 at 3:09:34 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I thought I remember reading that they'll grade signed items without counting the signature against the grade, but can't authenticate them. Maybe it was a future service or maybe I'm thinking of a different grading service altogether because I can't see it on their website anywhere.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Jul 07 at 5:44:52 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Gloves

I just feel kinda bad cuz you're trading signatures you can view or even display for a little sign that is like "there's totally signatures inside this box, trust me".

Am I missing something here? If he got it graded it'd be put in one of the plastic cases and you could still see the signatures, right?

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jul 10 at 12:39:20 AM
ProtonX (380)
Oregon
Originally posted by: OptOut

Originally posted by: Gloves

Am I missing something here? If he got it graded it'd be put in one of the plastic cases and you could still see the signatures, right?

Yes, they would still be visible. I mainly wanted to do it as the game is mint and it would protect it more than just sitting on my shelf.

Aug 20 at 2:27:43 PM
ProtonX (380)
Oregon
Just bumping one last time- if anyone had any ideas...

Aug 20 at 2:53:05 PM
8bitdontquit (1)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
They do grade cib games which ..... are opened, and then all the talk about the cb game they graded. I don't see why they wouldn't with this . You could just put it in a protective box/sleeve your self if you just want to protect. They sell em on Amazon.

Moe: Back when I was Gorgeous, everybody wanted a piece of me. But somehow, I just never made it to the big time. Homer: Why not? Moe: 'Cause I got knocked out forty times in a row. That, plus politics. You know, it's all politics. Homer: [glaring] Lousy democrats.

Edited: 08/20/2019 at 03:24 PM by 8bitdontquit