Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library 1985-1995 NES Library Guide & Review Book of 750+ Games!

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:13:51 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
(Patrick Contri) < Meka Chicken >
California

Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library 1985-1995 is an expansive and thorough look at one of the greatest video game libraries of all time - the Nintendo Entertainment System. This 450 page book covers all licensed and unlicensed games released during the system's lifespan, and features information and reviews on hundreds of classic (and not so classic) 8-bit games. You can check out more info and pre-order at UltimateNES.com

Book Sections

Foreword: graciously written by Blake Harris, author of the hit video game history/drama bookConsole Wars!

• 750+ North American game reviews and reflections  
  • 30+ PAL exclusive reviews 
  • 10 HES exclusive reviews 
  • Test cart overview 
  • Promo/special game carts 
  • North American game cart variants 
  • Popular NES controllers and accessories 
  • Supplemental Articles

Supplemental Articles

• "Horror on the NES" by James Rolfe 
  • "How the NES Zapper Works by Joey Desena
  • "In Their Words - The NES Launch" by Frank Cifaldi
  • "Color Dreams and Wisdom Tree" by Karen Niemla
  •  "Tengen and the Nintendo Lawsuit" by Norm Caruso
  •  "The Dragon Warrior Giveaway" by Pat Contri  
  • "Nintendo's Censorship Hypocrisy" by Pat Contri 
  • "From Plastic to Pixels" by Dan Eardley
  • "Why Was Music So Good on the NES?" by Brent Black

-------------------------
--------------------------------
twitter: patthenespunk
facebook - Pat the NES Punk

thepunkeffect.com

Edited: 11/24/2015 at 08:06 PM by Pat the NES Punk

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:33:39 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Pat the NES Punk

Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library 1985-1995 is an expansive and thorough look at the one of the greatest video game libraries of all time - the Nintendo Entertainment System. This 450 page book covers all licensed and unlicensed games released during the system's lifespan, and features information and reviews on hundreds of classic (and not so classic) 8-bit games. You can check out more info and pre-order at UltimateNES.com

Book Sections

Foreword: graciously written by Blake Harris, author of the hit video game history/drama bookConsole Wars!

• 750+ North American game reviews and reflections  
  • 30+ PAL exclusive reviews 
  • 10 HES exclusive reviews 
  • Test cart overview 
  • Promo/special game carts 
  • North American game cart variants 
  • Popular NES controllers and accessories 
  • Supplemental Articles

Supplemental Articles

• "Horror on the NES" by James Rolfe 
  • "How the NES Zapper Works by Joey Desena
  • "In Their Words - The NES Launch" by Frank Cifaldi
  • "Color Dreams and Wisdom Tree" by Karen Niemla
  •  "Tengen and the Nintendo Lawsuit" by Norm Caruso
  •  "The Dragon Warrior Giveaway" by Pat Contri  
  • "Nintendo's Censorship Hypocrisy" by Pat Contri 
  • "From Plastic to Pixels" by Dan Eardley
  • "Why Was Music So Good on the NES?" by Brent Black

Seems cool man, but your image is messed up.  Upload it through NA or host on a different site.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:58:57 PM
jrmrbcax (110)
(Jeremy Robichaux) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
Will be getting one.

N64 CIB Collection: 296/296
Finished April 13, 2015

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:15:03 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
The pages and layout look really cool. Having every single game in one book is actually quite appealing. While the internet DOES exist, having to find reviews of everygame would take a while. This is pretty neat.

Edit: No likey picture.

BACKED. This book looks sweet. Done. Take my money.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 11/24/2015 at 07:33 PM by AirVillain

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:38:30 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Thanks, not sure what is wrong with the image, but I reuploaded from my site. International shipping options will be available soon after I hear back from the printing house, so please be patient!

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:41:54 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
Don't know how final the formatting is... but you might want to include a frame buffer between the text and the text boxes. Just a formatting aesthetic thing - but something to consider. Gives it a little professional pop. But I like how each game has a somewhat in depth write up. Reminds me of reading the old tips and strategy guides as a kid.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Edited: 11/24/2015 at 07:42 PM by Daria

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:43:33 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Thanks, not sure what is wrong with the image, but I reuploaded from my site. International shipping options will be available soon after I hear back from the printing house, so please be patient!
I tried to put one in, too... I love the idea of seeing screenshots from the game and having the entire background be a screenshot.

Saw the commercial and appreciated your gameplay and effort during the NES Marathon. Well done on that! That's some intense gaming, especially all the crappy titles, haha.

After my gf and I looked at the pages for the NES book, we were sold 100%.

As an international customer the only option it gave was USA ($6) and it said it would switch once things were underway, so that's fine with me. All good here. I look forward to it. Thanks!

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:54:54 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: AirVillain

While the internet DOES exist, having to find reviews of everygame would take a while. 
May I present to you www.questicle.net....   

Kudos to Pat & co. for this massive aesthetic effort. Just saying, reviews of every Nintendo game, in one place, on the internet, does exist and I'd be surprised if that's the only one.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:16:44 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: gunpei

While the internet DOES exist, having to find reviews of everygame would take a while. 
May I present to you www.questicle.net.   

Kudos to Pat & co. for this massive aesthetic effort. Just saying, reviews of every Nintendo game, in one place, on the internet, does exist and I'd be surprised if that's the only one.

Link not working.

http://questicle.net/...

By that I meant moreso immediately in front of my face before I pick a game. Example: it's nicer to have a coffee table book with all the games listed I can play sitting directly in front of me. So if I'm thinking of a game, I can check it out with a big colourful picture.

Looking at this website on my phone isn't as awesome. Sure, someone might use a tablet, but I'm not into that. Having a physical copy of a review of every NES game at hand is pretty neat.

Also, I just compared Adventure Island 2 on Questicle, and the one From the Ultimate Nintendo Kickstarter page... Ultimate Nintendo seems to be a more professional, factual, and objective view of the game, with the "reflections" section being reserved for personal input. I prefer that distinction.

Questicle seems to lump all that into one, including the "jokes".

That way, if you don't care for the opinion of the writer you can separate their opinion from the game. You get an objective view. Thumbs up.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 11/24/2015 at 08:18 PM by AirVillain

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:21:41 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
idk why this site sometimes automatically prepends the nintendoage domain onto links. Just type it in your browser.

Certainly, a coffee table book has merit by its very form. I thought you were saying it offers content that isn't available elsewhere despite the vast reach of the web, which is what I wanted to contest.

I didn't really get the point of the reflections. Can reviews truly be objective? Thank you for explaining your appreciation of them. I understand more now.

Enjoy the book!

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:15:11 PM
Kickmeister (7)
(Joeyjoejoe Shabadoo Jr.) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
That's pretty cool. I like the idea of having a giant coffee table book for this sort of thing. Something about old-timey game reviews really pairs well with physical media.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:43:14 PM
Pool108 (29)
(Cale ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota
I've backed the book. Looking forward to having it on hand and reading over time.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:00:46 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I'd love to get one but don't have the funding. Will these be available after the kick starter?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:10:58 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California

Link not working.

http://questicle.net/

By that I meant moreso immediately in front of my face before I pick a game. Example: it's nicer to have a coffee table book with all the games listed I can play sitting directly in front of me. So if I'm thinking of a game, I can check it out with a big colourful picture.

Looking at this website on my phone isn't as awesome. Sure, someone might use a tablet, but I'm not into that. Having a physical copy of a review of every NES game at hand is pretty neat.

Also, I just compared Adventure Island 2 on Questicle, and the one From the Ultimate Nintendo Kickstarter page... Ultimate Nintendo seems to be a more professional, factual, and objective view of the game, with the "reflections" section being reserved for personal input. I prefer that distinction.

That way, if you don't care for the opinion of the writer you can separate their opinion from the game. You get an objective view. Thumbs up.

That is why the distinction was made. The review is a more dry, "professional" look at the game minus the over-the-top humor or hijinks that can get in the way. The potential silliness is left to the "Reflections" section. So you can have your cake and eat it too!

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:11:52 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

I'd love to get one but don't have the funding. Will these be available after the kick starter?

Yes, but probably not until the Spring.

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:15:49 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Link not working.

http://questicle.net/

That is why the distinction was made. The review is a more dry, "professional" look at the game minus the over-the-top humor or hijinks that can get in the way. The potential silliness is left to the "Reflections" section. So you can have your cake and eat it too!

Right on, man, thanks for the clarification.

It shines through in the description that it's an objective overview of the game, and that's a good thing. Reflections are good, too.

Looking forward to the full colour pages, variants, screen shots, and pictures of cartridges, too. Plus everything else, haha. 

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:19:49 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

idk why this site sometimes automatically prepends the nintendoage domain onto links

Make sure you preface your links with http:// and they should work.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:03:26 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
While I don't want to do anymore kickstarter stuff, Your project looks really well done and am happy to support any projects like this.

BACKED

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:09:54 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
I have backed this as well as Jeffs. I wont get Jeffs, though until the game comes out as I apparently didn't pay the double shipping. I will be very interested to compare the two. Based on pictures and concepts alone, I have to say Pats is more of what I was hoping for with all games covered and all the extras like the regional exclusives, test carts, and even peripherals. It just seems to be more comprehensive. BUT, I will wait to have both in my hands before casting judgement. Looking forward to it!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:28:27 AM
Diamante Loco (149)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
posted this before you got your post up sir

http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Hopefully I can kick it before the end of the KC, nice work!

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:35:42 AM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I agree with many others that this looks to be a very well-done and clean layout for all NES games. I've also backed your project and good luck with continued sales!

Haves     |     Wants

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:05:39 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Responding to the other thread:

"$60 is a little steep for a book imo, but it does seem to have quite a bit of information." - For a 450 page, full cover book that took over 2 years to produce, I think $60 is reasonable. Not all will agree, of course.

"Looks like a good book, and I would love to read it. I AM JUST SO OVER KICKSTARTER CRAP AT THIS POINT ugh" - OK then! Look at it as a pre-order then funding the production, since I have already invested into the book out of my own pocket and time.

"Looks like a good book that isn't just thrown together. I like the reflection aspect on each game and at 450 pages seems worth the money. " - Thank you!

"already funded and its going to be printed... I trust Pat he's got no reason to screw over his fans, unless he wants to boost up his detractors..." - I have detractors? Where?

"No shipping outside the US? Boo!" - I'm still waiting from the printing price on international shipping prices. I am trying not to make nor lose money on shipping, so I have to be accurate before putting the options up. Soon!

"this looks like something everyone should have laying around, but for how much press Pat gets here you would think he would have some kinder words about NA. Nothing but negative things come out of his mouth about this forum, so i'll sit this one out and maybe grab subcon's" - I like NA, but I'm not a fan of everyone on here. When you have a forum that lets its members libel me and threaten physical violence, I'm not sure why you would think I should have nothing but positive things to say about NA. You wouldn't. I love some members here, such as Dain (the big guy), Justin (Penguin), Brian (bunnyboy), Robin, Josh, Uncle Tusk, and a couple others. It is what it is. Maybe one day I'll go into more details on the podcast. That might cause a new thread!

"I'm gonna guess those have just a touch more hard research, as well as actual photography rather than Illustrator templates and NesterJ screenshots." - Who is NesterJ? 1) They're not Illustrator templates, they're 3D vector graphics created specifically for the book (and they look damn nice - thanks to Oliver Arce). 65% or so of screenshots came from MobyGames.com (with their permission). The other 35% were personally captured by yours truly.

"I'd like a SNES one though " You're killing me!

"It goes both ways. He appears from time to time and gets shit all over, I can't blame him for what he says about NA." Matt gets it. The funny thing is that in person, everyone I speak to from NA have been nice and cordial. Then again, maybe they would think it's a bad idea to physically threaten me in person.

thepunkeffect.com

Edited: 11/25/2015 at 02:01 PM by Pat the NES Punk

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:06:02 PM
Pat the NES Punk (23)
California
Originally posted by: Stryphos

I agree with many others that this looks to be a very well-done and clean layout for all NES games. I've also backed your project and good luck with continued sales!

Thanks!

thepunkeffect.com

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:14:54 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Too bad some people here are douches, props to you for being civil about it! Thanks for explaining that, by the way. Hearing negative things about any gaming community is not cool but I can totally understand why you'd hold disdain for any actions like that, that's simply not tolerable. Those people should not be allowed here, or in any other community. Glad to see the Marathon/Book get proper love here!

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:22:24 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida

"I'm gonna guess those have just a touch more hard research, as well as actual photography rather than Illustrator templates and NesterJ screenshots." - Who is NesterJ?

I *think* it's an emulator. Sounds like the guy's knocking you for not capturing screens from a real NES - which is asinine. 

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition