Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Some guidelines - UPDATED 9/18/2017 Ends: Monday January 1st 2012, 12:00pm (NA time/EST) -- High bid: $1.00

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:12:42 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Please take a minute to read over the updated rules for this section.

NA Auction rules

Thank you

UPDATE 09-18-17:

"All bids placed must be for the exact amount of your desired bid.  For example, bids such as "+1" or any other non-specific dollar amount bids are invalid."

Prior Notes and Previous Updates:

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Here are some guidelines.

1. Please form your auction thread so that the title accurately describes what's being sold (think of how you'd compose an eBay title). Structure your subtitle just as you see for this post. Use NA time (EST) and avoid the 01/10/2001 format.

2. Please update your subtitle at least once a day, when you get your "free bump" to send the auction to the top of the forum. When your auction has ended, modify the end time to a big ***ENDED*** and a moderator will lock your auction up.

3. To eliminate confusion please once your auction is over adjust the sub title to ENDED!! Please Lock Winning Bid $1.27

4. All transactions must abide by the NA FAQ. Aside from that, the only rules are those set by the seller, and agreed to by the buyer. If something is unclear, ask the seller. If you don't like a rule, take your money elsewhere. If there's a dispute, you are expected to work it out on your own, in PM, directly with the other party. Moderation will not become involved unless there is an issue of some of fraud or other serious wrongdoing.

------

Don't forget, for those of you who think Dain should be rewarded for his hard work bringing this site (and lots of users with money to spend on NA auctions) to you, there are three ways you can give back.

- Use the new Erma tool to buy something off eBay with the money you make from your NA auction -- he'll get a cut if you follow through all the way with a purchase.

- Check Dain's Amazon.com wishlist often and save up your winnings to get him something nice.

- Or make a direct donation and earn yourself a nifty , , , , or .

-------------------------

Edited: 02/01/2018 at 02:16 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:15:17 AM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Locking is fine, but I wouldn't delete any threads

Periodic updates is a GREAT idea!

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:27:54 AM
ninfan21 (14)
(g j) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Is there any way to actually create an interface like ebay (or something similar) here on the NA site?

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:00:27 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
(dave g) < Ridley Wrangler >
Taiwan
so, what are NA's fees for holding auctions? How many pictures am I allowed before any additional costs?

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:33:30 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: ninfan21

Is there any way to actually create an interface like ebay (or something similar) here on the NA site?

There is something in the works for this, and this topic area is only a temporary area until that other area is ready. It won't happen overnight so we'll use this area until then.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:28:11 AM
ninfan21 (14)
(g j) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Thanks Dain.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:45:56 AM
vader99 (74)
(Your mother) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: gavmasterflash

so, what are NA's fees for holding auctions? How many pictures am I allowed before any additional costs?

I don't know if there should be any, as that may scare away some people from auctioning off their crap. I suggest you make it a suggestion to donate some of the profit to NA. Just my 2 cents

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:02:33 AM
ozzman (59)
(Bella's Husband) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Well we all know that this site is not free to run. There are the big dawgs on Nintendo Age and every one here collects. If an auction is ran we should have to pay a percent of the auction. When it comes to fee to list then we are following another auction site (that will be nameless). Then when you get in fee that is somthing else that is put on Dain. Unless there is a paypal or some type of account that is made up where we can sent money. I think that there are a lot of host people here on this site or it would not be here as long as it has. Auction should not run for than 7 days. Well that is just some of my thoughts.

Why is it everyone on NA gets to talk to my wife more than I do?

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:13:01 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
End time should be required in the title. Also, a lock at the end is a good idea. No reason to delete anything.

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:35:26 AM
ozzman (59)
(Bella's Husband) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Because we delete it then we wont have some recond of it. For later use when an item comes up for auction, that no one is sure about it. We can look back on it.

Why is it everyone on NA gets to talk to my wife more than I do?

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:46:56 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
i was thinking that it would be great to have option boxes when creating an auction regarding what you want the rules or guidelines to be in a particular auction. For example, you could have a box for "bids in increments of $$$ only" or box for "### minute(s) time extension for each bid placed at end of auction." It would make the auctions more user friendly, and then we could require each auction to provide certain things (end time, starting price, shipping) by preselecting the boxes and requiring the seller to fill in the blanks. i understand there needs to be a line between what NA does and doesn't do, but i think these would give us some pretty good ground to work with. my ideas.

Let's Go Penguins!

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:47:34 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: vader99

I don't know if there should be any, as that may scare away some people from auctioning off their crap. I suggest you make it a suggestion to donate some of the profit to NA. Just my 2 cents

I think he was being sarcastic, alluding to eBay's ala carte (putting it nicely) method to charging customers.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:05:24 AM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

i was thinking that it would be great to have option boxes when creating an auction regarding what you want the rules or guidelines to be in a particular auction. For example, you could have a box for "bids in increments of $$$ only" or box for "### minute(s) time extension for each bid placed at end of auction." It would make the auctions more user friendly, and then we could require each auction to provide certain things (end time, starting price, shipping) by preselecting the boxes and requiring the seller to fill in the blanks. i understand there needs to be a line between what NA does and doesn't do, but i think these would give us some pretty good ground to work with. my ideas.

I believe all of this stuff will come with the true NA auctions become live.  All great ideas, but this is just a separate sub forum to run auctions on because people were worried about auctions getting lost amongst all the other BST stuff.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:09:45 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Absolutely put auction info in the subtitle. When it ends the subtitle could say ended @ price, and that would be the signal for admin/mod to lock. Maybe also put ending times in NA Time?

Most importantly enforce from the start to get a consistent pattern anyone else can look at when creating their auction.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:42:49 PM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia
The auction end time should definitely be NA time. Much simpler for everybody.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:02:26 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Will we be allowing the 5 min. increments to the ending time? I remember reading somewhere that some people are against it.

Updating the topic with current price, and end time is a nice touch. But I would expect that the end time should stay the same, so no need to update that on a
daily basis.. unless your talking about adding, "3 days left, 2 days left, ending toady".. which now that I think about I'm sure you are.

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:08:11 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^Again, that's IMO solely between the seller and buyers.

If a seller wants to employ extensions, they need to be clearly delineated and a buyer who disagrees with the mechanic can simply take their money elsewhere. The threat of an item closing for less because auto-extensions are shunned should be trade-off enough to keep it at a minimum.

I don't think an updated countdown is necessary, but I'm just thinking of the most crucial info I look for in an eBay listing, and the ending date and current price are about it for me

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:09:24 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
There is the subject of requiring bids to be made public. I know there are several members that are against the idea as some people want to remain anonymous when buying high ticket items, but the potential for shill bidding by the seller is pretty high.

Not saying it should be required one way or the other, but I think the seller should have to state at the start of the auction whether bids must be public or can be private.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:10:59 PM
themotherbrain (93)
(> ROB <) < King Solomon >
New York
You just gave me an idea. Is there some kind of countdown tool (like a virtual stopwatch) that could be employed here reasonably? Kinda like a poll option. I figure it has to exist somewhere and one could potentially link it like a photo or something. Just a thought.

No Ninja Rap = No Thanks. 

Check out my FS thread here -

Edited: 10/24/2009 at 02:12 PM by themotherbrain

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:19:54 PM
vader99 (74)
(Your mother) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: dangevin

Originally posted by: vader99

I think he was being sarcastic, alluding to eBay's ala carte (putting it nicely) method to charging customers.
HAHA I know but I was referring to the NA fee part

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:43:03 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
Tennessee
i totally can NOT get teh HTML thing to work

Edited: 10/24/2009 at 03:19 PM by TheFrisbee

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:19:48 PM
themotherbrain (93)
(> ROB <) < King Solomon >
New York
Lol, what have I done?

No Ninja Rap = No Thanks. 

Check out my FS thread here -

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:24:17 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
Tennessee
Temporally drove me crazy. I'm trying to figure out stuff that is WAY beyond me. lol, damn you ROB!

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:10:32 AM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

There is the subject of requiring bids to be made public. I know there are several members that are against the idea as some people want to remain anonymous when buying high ticket items, but the potential for shill bidding by the seller is pretty high.

Not saying it should be required one way or the other, but I think the seller should have to state at the start of the auction whether bids must be public or can be private.

I think if someone doesn't want their name associated with winning an item, then they need to do without it. This secretive stuff is probably the most annoying part of this site. Maybe because I'm not a collector and don't give 2 craps about who has what, but it shouldn't matter if everyone knows who wins it or not.

I don't think bids needs to be private period. Too much shady stuff can go down. If someone doesn't want their name associated with an auction, then have a friend on here do the bidding for you. I'll bid for whoever unless I have had issues with you in the past.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:09:33 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Thanks all for your input. I've edited the first post to reflect the guidelines, but they should be no surprise to any of you, and most sellers have already adopted the ideas we discussed here.

The first round of ended listings have been locked!