NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Help With ROM Hack / Art Project! High Score Screen Manipulation

Apr 21 at 8:17:50 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Hey,

My non-NA friend is looking for assistance in hacking NES ROMs for an art/poetry project. From what I gather he would like to use/alter the high-score screen in multiple NES games.

If you are able to provide assistance, or point him in the right direction to help with this project, please send me a PM!  

In case you were curious, here is a former project using the Game Genie. Clearly a lot less intense theoretically, but the same idea!

https://antilang.ca/2018/09/14/antilang-preview-kevin-stebne...

Thanks for your time!

Edited: 04/21/2019 at 08:18 PM by Yelir

Apr 25 at 3:40:09 PM
TylerBarnes (0)
(Tyler Barnes) < Little Mac >
Texas
He could likely open up his rom in FCEUX (a dev emulator) and open the debugger and hex console and find the values he'd need to alter. Or better yet, just play the game very poorly at first and enter your high scores the good old fashioned way. Starting from the end of your poem, working you way up with better and better scores. I feel that would be far easier then messing with Debuggers and ASM if you don't already know what you are doing. Because it would likely be hard to find a disassembled source ASM of obscure games with labels and comments. In the debugger and in a disassembly, all the memory addresses and pointers are raw hexadecimal.

Edited: 04/25/2019 at 03:40 PM by TylerBarnes