Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Let's make this a better to place to visit On the topic of community and negativity

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:38:52 PM
NESJohnny (52)
(Johnny Johnny) < Kraid Killer >
California
Wow, I'm really happy to read this -- I stopped posting because I couldn't leave anything around here without someone coming along and arguing with it. It just isn't fun when that is the extent of communicating.

I know this thread is ancient in innernet time, but I think it's worth re-visting (for those who haven't seen it), and I'm willing to give this place another go.

I think a good rule would be "pretend you're stoned" even when you're not.

-------------------------

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:56:14 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Johnny, let's never fight again 

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:52:08 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Hugs all around!

http://slydogstudios.org...

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:07:05 PM
Rengozu (54)
(Jeff Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
*hugs*

Guess things have chilled around here a lot since this was written. I haven't been around here too long, but so far this has been one of the better communities I've been apart of online. Aside from minor VGA battles and the do's and do not wars of Ebay postings, this has been a pretty relaxed site with lots of great members.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:38:42 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: NESJohnny

Wow, I'm really happy to read this -- I stopped posting because I couldn't leave anything around here without someone coming along and arguing with it. It just isn't fun when that is the extent of communicating.

I know this thread is ancient in innernet time, but I think it's worth re-visting (for those who haven't seen it), and I'm willing to give this place another go.

I think a good rule would be "pretend you're stoned" even when you're not.

What is being stoned?

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:01:48 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Dain

From this point forward, if I get involved in mediation, I'm simply going to ban both users by IP, user name and email address. I'm not trying to be a tyrant, but it's simply easier to ban than to constantly remind certain users to "cut it out" (over and over and over again). We're tired of it, the rest of us are tired of reading it, so we're simply going to stop it.

Another thing I'm going to instruct moderators and admins to start doing is to simply delete "jab" posts. If a post is nothing more than to make a negative comment either about the site or another user, we're just going to remove it without warning. If the post is defaming another user directly (ie, calling them an asshole), there's a good chance that will be the name-caller's last post. We learned that name-calling was inconsiderate in the 2nd grade. In the 3rd grade, we learned that you can make your point without calling anyone a name, and it typically leads to better results.

I think this thread needs to be bumped again.  If you want to debate topics, cool.  If you want to troll and belittle others, goodbye and we won't miss you.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

May 10, 2011 at 12:57:25 PM
True6502 (0)
(Matthew L.) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
Dain, Thanks for posting this, even though it was a while ago. I really share your feelings on keeping this a "friendly" community. We all enjoy the same hobby, can't that be enough for us to be cool to each other?

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:47:28 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
maybe we need to bump this again....

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:59:40 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: pats1717

maybe we need to bump this again....

AMEN Brother!!!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:13:22 PM
Shai'tan (16)
(Justin Bieber) < Crack Trooper >
Washington
I just came across this thread today and it really hit a nerve so please bear with me.

I have come to avoid posting in a lot of forums for the very reasons Dain went over in the original post. Jonebone also mentions being treated poorly because it seemed that he hadn't 'been in the game long enough' I have witnessed and had to endure such treatment on just about every board I've ever been to on the internet. Video game related or otherwise.

Hell I've even experienced some of it here, to my disappointment. Even if it's not always a direct flame or insult there's other subtle methods of discouragement that can and have occurred. I've seen guys with huge post counts with all kinds of 'decorated status' completely insult and destroy a newbie simply because it was their first post.
     What's worse... and I mean downright embarrassing and totally destructive for that board is when mods and admins do nothing or play favorites with people that have a high post count or have been there for a few years.

It is a lot like going to work at a new job and some bitter old employee that knows everything decides to completely trash you because you haven't been there for as long as him etc.... and then the owner/manager(s) just sit back idle because that guy has been there for a while. Makes no sense and I really can't say enough about how immature and unprofessional it is.

The original post was made in 2009 and I joined late 2010 and I felt very welcome by the people I met in real life from NA and even though I lost a lot of desire to post regularly. I think here at NA/SA there is much more concern and effort towards eliminating negativity than I see on other boards and that is directly proven by my lack of activity or contribution on those boards. Looking back on my own experience being super new here I would definitely suggest that this topic be refreshed regularly... as a reminder.

I have been much more active on the SA board and I actually enjoy the small group of people that post and contribute. There is no drama at all, we have a laugh about some crazy ebayer occasionally but other than that it's 100% collector focused and we work together. My opinion and what little knowledge I have to offer is at least somewhat valued and I've never felt berated or treated as if I was 'not in the game long enough' by anyone.

I guess that's all I needed to say.

My stupid YouTube Channel

Edited: 09/23/2011 at 11:16 PM by Shai'tan

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:26:52 PM
RetroSnow (22)
(Kachou On!) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I appreciate that we can have a community made up of so many different types of gamers/collectors/etc. Sure, at times people are going to rub each other the wrong way; especially when so many of us are overly passionate about our hobbies and our viewpoints on them. Healthy debate is a great thing, and part of what makes NA a great place.

I can agree that (at times) it does get out of hand. I've heard a lot of negativity from folks that I recommended into NA last year, but I think asking everyone to get along all the time is unrealistic. I took all kinds of shots when I came here initially, being that I have a tendency to be a *little* outspoken. ;D

Even still, NA is a great place, and even though I may not agree with everyone here (mods included) sometimes, it's still a family. Dysfunctional and argumentative here and there, just like a real family!

(RetroSnow) http://www.youtube.com/user/snowc...

Former PADF Division Champion and Title Defender

Originally posted by: Dinoellis

I still get panic-attacks if I see female genitalia close-up.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:16:42 PM
gandggames (0)

(Garrett Geoff Jeffords) < Tourian Tourist >
Iowa
Don't mean to be a little kid, but I would like to see this change too. I've been here a total of 3 days and have gotten made fun of, called names, and flat out disrespected because of a harmless post I made. I noticed people feel they are receiving the flaming due to be new to the game and not experienced in the field, and that's my case I believe. The people making fun aren't helping new people to the hobby want to stay long, that's for sure. I wont single them out, as I have chosen to put it past them and give them a chance, but I'm seriously sick of quitting forums because people are mean spirited people. I hope you see the change you want, as I will be participating in making that change as a new member.

Edited: 10/30/2011 at 11:18 PM by gandggames

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:19:35 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Diff'rent Strokes.....

"Conformity is the graveyard in which individuality is buried." ~~ Nietzsche

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:28:03 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Good thing Dain is a nice guy. Thanks for mainting this wonderful place Dain! We all owe you an apple pie.

"Conformity is the graveyard in which the Nazi's are buried." ~~ Josh

eBay listings here

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:39:57 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: qixmaster

Good thing Dain is a nice guy. Thanks for mainting this wonderful place Dain! We all owe you an apple pie.

"Conformity is the graveyard in which the Nazi's are buried." ~~ Josh

since I'm on your list....I see no harm in this. Peeps have read Nietzsche. None have yet to read Josh.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:42:19 PM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
You need to stop stealing my name Qixmaster, though I'm fairly confident you're older than me.

Regardless, I still believe that the level of negativity on these forums are still greatly lower than elsewhere on the internet. I think people can be too brash for no reason sometimes, but then again, who isn't now and then? Either way, I'd like to also thank Dain for all the hard work he puts into this site. I would buy you an apple pie, but I wouldn't like to ship people mouldy food.

Edited: 10/31/2011 at 02:43 PM by GhostNinja

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:45:45 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
actually peeps read my shit each day.

eBay listings here

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:10:39 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: GameBoyScotty

Diff'rent Strokes.....

Nice quote, but how is it relevant to this thread? I suppose belittling and insulting others is a form of expressing individuality?

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:18:26 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

Diff'rent Strokes.....

Nice quote, but how is it relevant to this thread? I suppose belittling and insulting others is a form of expressing individuality?

It means, people are gonna be people. People argue. Not everyone see's things the same. Without contrast, there is no basis for comparison. These are the principles that keeps the earth turning. I loathe censorship. What's more annoying...someone typing a string of harsh words, or someone crying about harsh words that have been typed? Again, opinions vary. But tthat's just me. I HATE crybabies, more than censorship.

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:31:10 PM
Dennis (70)
(Dennis ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
Internet status is silly and i`ve noticed that quit a few people here suffer from this. But for the biggest part there`s really some nice peoples here.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:20:09 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania

Diff'rent Strokes.....

It means, people are gonna be people. People argue. Not everyone see's things the same. Without contrast, there is no basis for comparison. These are the principles that keeps the earth turning. I loathe censorship. What's more annoying...someone typing a string of harsh words, or someone crying about harsh words that have been typed? Again, opinions vary. But tthat's just me. I HATE crybabies, more than censorship.

I agree with you about censorship, and I respect your opinion. I'm not sure which of those I dislike more, but if one is generated from the other, I'd rather the source not exist. People aren't perfect and the world isn't perfect. It would be nice to think that people can control themselves, but that isn't always the case. A community such as this needs to have some control, I think, so that people will want to contribute meaningful things to it. I don't like "crying wolf," but if people don't complain about anything, nothing will change. Just my two cents.

Oh, and I have to add that pretty much everyone I've interacted with on NA has been nice. I haven't been part of other forums so I can't compare, but things have been great so far.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:25:19 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California

Diff'rent Strokes.....

I agree with you about censorship, and I respect your opinion. I'm not sure which of those I dislike more, but if one is generated from the other, I'd rather the source not exist. People aren't perfect and the world isn't perfect. It would be nice to think that people can control themselves, but that isn't always the case. A community such as this needs to have some control, I think, so that people will want to contribute meaningful things to it. I don't like "crying wolf," but if people don't complain about anything, nothing will change. Just my two cents.

Oh, and I have to add that pretty much everyone I've interacted with on NA has been nice. I haven't been part of other forums so I can't compare, but things have been great so far.

I think that there's a fine line. I say alot of what's on my mind on these forums but I do so in such away so I don't overly offend. I think as long as one is respectful to others then it is okay to be individual. There comes a point where you cross a line and act the part of an asshole but at the same time, I think that many people get overly offended and draw conclusions even when the words aren't said. Like I said, it's a fine line, it takes alot to offend me, I think that everyone should be welcome and this should be a great place to visit, yet it shouldn't feel like we're all walking on eggshells. Be decent to eachother and have fun, it doesn't always have to be politically correct but it shouldn't be to the point that people are feeling unwelcome as a result.

Edited: 11/01/2011 at 01:27 AM by SamSpade

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:57:03 AM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: SamSpade

Diff'rent Strokes.....

I think that there's a fine line. I say alot of what's on my mind on these forums but I do so in such away so I don't overly offend. I think as long as one is respectful to others then it is okay to be individual. There comes a point where you cross a line and act the part of an asshole but at the same time, I think that many people get overly offended and draw conclusions even when the words aren't said. Like I said, it's a fine line, it takes alot to offend me, I think that everyone should be welcome and this should be a great place to visit, yet it shouldn't feel like we're all walking on eggshells. Be decent to eachother and have fun, it doesn't always have to be politically correct but it shouldn't be to the point that people are feeling unwelcome as a result.

Well said!

That is true about drawing conclusions. Didn't even cross my mind. It's definitely a balancing act.

Edited: 11/01/2011 at 01:57 AM by ookii_risu

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:02:58 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California

Edited: 11/01/2011 at 06:45 PM by SamSpade

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:39:48 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Next time you feel like posting something negative, think...

WWDD

hehe