Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Link's Awakening Predictions

Sep 20 at 6:58:47 PM
AsmikAce (97)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I feel like LA remake was made for the 3DS but ported to the Switch so I can wait for it.

I don't know what to say how it will turn out but it can't be worst of a blunder than Triforce Heroes. I see so many of copies of the game at bargain bins that is pretty bad considering how premium Zelda games are.

-------------------------

Sep 20 at 7:39:07 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: AsmikAce

I feel like LA remake was made for the 3DS but ported to the Switch so I can wait for it.

I don't know what to say how it will turn out but it can't be worst of a blunder than Triforce Heroes. I see so many of copies of the game at bargain bins that is pretty bad considering how premium Zelda games are.

I could never get into triforce heroes due to the costume gimmick.. If you can get over the dress up thing, was it actually a decent game? I may give it a shot some day

Sep 20 at 8:32:28 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Originally posted by: phart010

Originally posted by: AsmikAce

I could never get into triforce heroes due to the costume gimmick.. If you can get over the dress up thing, was it actually a decent game? I may give it a shot some day

Isn't triforce heroes the same concept as four swords? I couldn't get into that one so I never gave triforce heroes a shot. Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything either.

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 20 at 9:04:13 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Anyone pick this up at Target? Supposedly you get a set of two pins with it.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 20 at 9:29:19 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
This game is fun as shit. And cute as shit.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 21 at 6:31:54 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Honestly doesn't seem really fun. I don't feel like I'm playing a new game. I wish I could forget everything I knew about the original so this would be a new experience for me.

I'm still going to finish it, but already at dungeon two and I am zooming through this with only like 20% of my mental ability getting engaged into it

Sep 21 at 6:52:52 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Honestly doesn't seem really fun. I don't feel like I'm playing a new game. I wish I could forget everything I knew about the original so this would be a new experience for me.

I'm still going to finish it, but already at dungeon two and I am zooming through this with only like 20% of my mental ability getting engaged into it

I never played past the first 20 minutes or so of the original, so this will all be new to me when I get around to it.  

Sep 21 at 7:49:23 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

maybe it wasnt made for you lol. Im not a huge zelda fan. I played like half the original as a kid. Im probably going to get it but I know obviously its not a day 1 buy. Why did you buy it? You pretty much knew what it was.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 21 at 7:51:03 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I'm not sure if those are good things?

Sep 21 at 8:16:56 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: B.A.

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I'm not sure if those are good things?
When I read that first quote, it immediately reminded me of Happy Gilmore. 

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 21 at 8:29:15 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: quest4nes

maybe it wasnt made for you lol. Im not a huge zelda fan. I played like half the original as a kid. Im probably going to get it but I know obviously its not a day 1 buy. Why did you buy it? You pretty much knew what it was.

Because Nintendo made me buy it 😡

Sep 21 at 8:44:35 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Because Nintendo made me buy it 😡

I understand. Nintendo is one hell of a drug

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 22 at 1:39:00 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
I don't have a Switch but I'm enjoying replaying through the original again on a proper OG Gameboy
As a kid I was never able to do the Eagle Tower without using the warp glitch, finally did it legitimately for the first time after all these years
At least for now, I seem to have accurately predicted the Players Guides for this game would dry up/spike on eBay
I'm glad I grabbed another copy before the game got re-released. Kind of bummed I sold my 'Players Choice' box a few years ago.
Also somebody has already ripped the new soundtrack to Youtube, incredible music!!

Edited: 09/22/2019 at 01:43 PM by Trj22487

Sep 23 at 8:40:46 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
So is the dreamer edition readily available everywhere yet lol

My WTB thread

Sep 23 at 9:14:23 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: yukfou

I ordered my dreamer edition from Target several days ago, but it won’t arrive until October 3rd. Does that mean it could be part of a second manufacturing run? Let’s have some patience and see how this unfolds.

Edited: 09/23/2019 at 09:15 PM by phart010

Sep 23 at 10:12:43 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland

Originally posted by: yukfou

I ordered my dreamer edition from Target several days ago, but it won't arrive until October 3rd. Does that mean it could be part of a second manufacturing run? Let's have some patience and see how this unfolds.

I see they're actually responding and meeting the consumer demand. Kudos to Nintendo

My WTB thread

Sep 24 at 5:49:58 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
I predict this game will have inconsistent performance on the Switch, regularly dip from 60 fps to 15 fps, and have a blurry/fuzzy border surrounding the clear central part of the screen.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Sep 25 at 11:28:26 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
^Not a fan of the blurry/fuzzy border - if that's by design then ugh

Sep 25 at 2:33:11 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
I wonder if they did the blurry border to cut down on how much graphical details need to be rendered at a given time. It's weird that this game runs slow, I don't remember breath of the wild having frame rate issues.

Hopefully they'll optimize it, but I have a feeling they possibly may not. If Nintendo truly cared a ton about this game they probably wouldn't have released it before getting rid of the slowdown.

And this wasn't developed by Nintendo was it not? So it's not going to have the obsessive level of detail and optimization that we've come to expect from Nintendo

Edited: 09/25/2019 at 02:33 PM by phart010

Sep 26 at 6:49:13 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Ok I beat the game.

After finishing it to like 98% completion, honestly maybe it was worth $60. I kinda hate to say this. It's the love/hate Nintendo relationship.

Sep 26 at 6:57:46 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I'm already very familiar with Link's Awakening, so I've been telling myself that I'm fine not playing this one, especially for that price. But the more I read about it, the more I want to experience it. And that makes me mad. 😡

Sep 26 at 8:39:02 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Splain

I'm already very familiar with Link's Awakening, so I've been telling myself that I'm fine not playing this one, especially for that price. But the more I read about it, the more I want to experience it. And that makes me mad. 😡
I made one prediction here that did come true. It’s 50 bucks in store at Walmart

Sep 26 at 10:45:42 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

Originally posted by: Splain

I made one prediction here that did come true. It’s 50 bucks in store at Walmart

I may have to mosey over and have a look...

Sep 27 at 3:05:10 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Another review. https://www.wired.com/story/links...
Originally posted by: Wired

The dreamy nature of Koholint also calls into question Link's role in this world. After all, as you're told early on, the monsters only stirred when you appeared. The dangers that threaten the people of this world, including the possibility of utter oblivion upon your success, are entirely of your doing. Calling into question bad heroic decisions is, again, not exactly original in videogames, but it's a wrinkle that feels especially provoking in such a traditionally light series. Zelda has only reached melancholic places anywhere near this on one other occasion, in Majora's Mask, which similarly subverts its counterpart title the way Link's Awakening subverts A Link to the Past, but even in Majora's Mask Link remains a savior. Here, he's just a kid with a sword, stuck in a world that doesn't make sense, trying to find his way home.

But the lesson to take from Link's Awakening isn't simply that the series is a surprisingly good fit for melancholy...
Am I wrong or the only one, to say this is an odd characterization? I kind of think the author must be relatively young, not someone who grew up reading manuals of NES games so they have a different perspective than those of us who did.  I don't think LoZ is "traditionally light". Some entries could be described as such. Mainly Wind Waker and others that used its style (Oracle games). But even Wind Waker shows a world destroyed.  Similar to Zelda 1, in which the world is empty and devoid of society, full of monsters. Zelda 2 shows Return of Ganon as a terrible endless possibility, and the terrain outside of towns is a wasteland. Zelda 3 has the "good guys" (soldiers) hypnotized by evil. OoT has the future consumed by evil and horror. Sure, the Legend of Zelda overall is not rated T or M, and there's some real goofball kiddie-type characters (Tingle, cannon operator and other carnival type guys, Groose). But there's also plenty of darkness and despair. To me the hallmarks of the series include bleakness.

Oct 02 at 6:11:38 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
PSA: Links Awakening Dreamer edition available for shipping from target.com. Also available for Nov 11 shipment at Amazon