Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How's everybody like the AVS?

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:02:19 AM
StudyHallPanic#@! (6)
(Jason M Hill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Does the Famicom disk system work well with the AVS? I haven't used my FDS since I bought the AVS but just got Doki Doki yesterday and planning to try it out this weekend

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:22:00 AM
Sougouk (0)

< Cherub >
Canada
Yes, the Famicom Disk System works well with the AVS.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:23:54 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Not gonna lie, I really wished this was the design Bunnyboy would have went with. From a functional standpoint it is objectively a better design than what we got.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attach...

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:35:25 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: BRNexus

Not gonna lie, I really wished this was the design Bunnyboy would have went with. From a functional standpoint it is objectively a better design than what we got.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418896436428537859/42...
Bunnyboy/Brian had a few reasons for not going that route.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

The biggest problem with top loading is it just looks ugly! The little flaps are always flimsy, need springs, and break up the clean look. 2 top loading slots has a few other problems, most of which can be solved by throwing more money at it.

- Each separate plastic piece is expensive, so 2x or 4x small flaps costs lots more than 1x big door.
- PCBs are cheap, adapter board costs less than a piece of plastic.
- Sliding mechanisms are very expensive to get right because they need to be tested in the final materials, not "cheap" 3d printings.
- FDS RAM adapter is short, so having NES and Famicom top loading would mean the NES cart doesn't have much support.
- The door is big, all the xmas lights are easily seen!

I started with ~10 designs, would never expect everyone to be happy with the final one. But thats what modders are for!

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:20:31 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=601&am...

The biggest problem with top loading is it just looks ugly! The little flaps are always flimsy, need springs, and break up the clean look. 2 top loading slots has a few other problems, most of which can be solved by throwing more money at it.

- Each separate plastic piece is expensive, so 2x or 4x small flaps costs lots more than 1x big door.
- Sliding mechanisms are very expensive to get right because they need to be tested in the final materials, not "cheap" 3d printings.
- FDS RAM adapter is short, so having NES and Famicom top loading would mean the NES cart doesn't have much support.

I started with ~10 designs, would never expect everyone to be happy with the final one. But thats what modders are for!

It wouldn't be two top loading slots though.  One top loading, one side loader.   And Super NT proves there is nothing wrong with dust flaps. 

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:17:25 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=601&am...

It wouldn't be two top loading slots though.  One top loading, one side loader.   And Super NT proves there is nothing wrong with dust flaps. 

His main gripe is that it would add expense. It wouldn't be a $185 console, but quite a bit more. He wasn't comfortable charging more.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:47:19 AM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
I just have a hard time getting behind the idea that dust flaps would add a significant amount to the cost. There are sub $50 clone machines with multiple dust flaps, so how much could they really be adding to the cost.

In the end what we got works well enough, just personally believe that other design is objectively better from a functional standpoint.   Carry on. 

Edited: 03/15/2018 at 12:50 AM by BRNexus

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:41:39 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I just have a hard time getting behind the idea that dust flaps would add a significant amount to the cost. There are sub $50 clone machines with multiple dust flaps, so how much could they really be adding to the cost.

Well, no offense, but I'm sure Brian has a better handle on what they cost, given he actually designed the system and priced out the manufacturing with the factory that made them.

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:13:18 AM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >

Well, no offense, but I'm sure Brian has a better handle on what they cost, given he actually designed the system and priced out the manufacturing with the factory that made them.

Very True

Though, its not likely how much they cost individully that is the problem, its just that he did the calculations and saw how much it would eat into his profits when you take into consideration 1000's of units sold at the price he wanted to sell the AVS for. 

Edited: 03/15/2018 at 04:47 AM by BRNexus

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:00:56 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
He did take a BIG financial risk making these. I think if it got priced even slightly higher than what it was, he would have sold substantially fewer. Most of us would have bought one, but we're not his only customers.

But yeah, it's still good in the end.

Edited: 03/15/2018 at 10:03 AM by Tulpa

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:50:31 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I am not the biggest fan of the pyramid-esque look of the thing, but the functionality is fine and that's ultimately what matters most. I do prefer the front loading as it means I don't have huge NES carts sticking up vertically. I am glad he was able to make a solid design and still keep the price reasonable.

Another nice bonus when it comes to the price of the unit, is he doesn't try to profit off the shipping and charge you double the actual rate like Analog does, heh.

-------------------------
| gameplay and talk |

Edited: 03/15/2018 at 10:51 PM by Austin

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:37:38 AM
mattysaurus (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland
I think I would've preferred a top loader, but the design is fine enough as is. I would love my new connector to loosen up a bit, though. Thing is tiiiight.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:30:50 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Austin

I am not the biggest fan of the pyramid-esque look of the thing, but the functionality is fine and that's ultimately what matters most. I do prefer the front loading as it means I don't have huge NES carts sticking up vertically. I am glad he was able to make a solid design and still keep the price reasonable.

Another nice bonus when it comes to the price of the unit, is he doesn't try to profit off the shipping and charge you double the actual rate like Analog does, heh.
And my credit card doesn't get charged through China. 
At any rate, I still need to replace my connector with the updated one. Then see if Ducktales and Double Dragon work, since mine have the green stripe boards. I have been happy with the AVS otherwise.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:54:30 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I do prefer the front loading as it means I don't have huge NES carts sticking up vertically.
I do, too, and it's not from nostalgia, either. I think that the shape of the NES cart lends itself to being horizontally loaded. I also like having it covered by the lid.

Originally posted by: mattysaurus
I would love my new connector to loosen up a bit, though. Thing is tiiiight.
They loosen up with use. I've had mine a year and a half and it holds the games snugly. Rather have that than a game that flops around inside.

Originally posted by: themisfit138
At any rate, I still need to replace my connector with the updated one. Then see if Ducktales and Double Dragon work, since mine have the green stripe boards. I have been happy with the AVS otherwise.

Funny thing, for the longest time my only green strip game was Tetris. I replaced the connector and did the plastic mod (my AVS is from the very first batch) and got Tetris to work fine. Three of the next four games I bought had the green strip. I think the gods of gaming were looking out for me.  

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:26:30 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

I do prefer the front loading as it means I don't have huge NES carts sticking up vertically.
I do, too, and it's not from nostalgia, either. I think that the shape of the NES cart lends itself to being horizontally loaded. I also like having it covered by the lid.

Agreed. It's really just down to the size of the carts. If NES carts in NA were the size of Famicom carts, I'd much prefer a top-loader setup.

| gameplay and talk |

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:41:11 PM
SuperTinerMan (11)
(Nick Tiner) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I know I am very late to the party, but my quest to getting my retro set up for HD has led me to this little system. Simply put, I love it. Everything looks amazing, sounds amazing, all my repros and homebrews works, and I feel like this is just a straight upgrade from my top loader on my tube TV. I have some nit picks, like the tightness of the cart slot, but they are far....FAR out weighed by everything this system gets right, and I didn't have to pay 500 bucks to get a high quality NES that plays games in HD.

I am selling my top loader and using this as my new way to play NES games. My hat's off to you, Retro USB, keep up the amazing work!

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:06:21 PM
snesei (26)
(Corey Chappell) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
I love it, bought it exclusively to stream on twitch and works like a charm.

Snesei's Pak Watch - A chronological exploration through Nintendo Power, live every Tuesday 8PM EST. Also I make VGM inspired dance music <3 
twitch.tv/snesei
soundcloud.com/snesei