Music Debate VIII: Eminem Bonus: Pick next week's artist

May 03 at 12:16:23 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: dra600n

I nominate Metallica. Even tho good metal won't get chosen  
Which Metallica, though? The decent Metallica when they were starting out, or later Metallica, when they hired a life coach?  

Hahahahahahahahahahajjajajahah

oh man that was good  

I dig 99% of their stuff. The only things I didn’t care for were the newest album, Lulu, and that awful song they did with Ja Rule. 

Life coach or not, fuckers can still play lol

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

May 03 at 12:47:24 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I never paid much attention to Eminem, but of course I recognize a bunch of his stuff. I'm struggling to rate him though. Is he trying to be serious or funny? He doesn't fully do either. Just doing different styles doesn't automatically make someone good. It's hard to look past stuff like occasional fart jokes, weak rhyming, weak syllable stressing to shoehorn phrases where he wants them, all while calling himself a rap god. But I can appreciate that he's not trying to be black, and the songs are catchy, even if sometimes the words aren't.

To those saying he's "good at what he does," what exactly does he do?

May 03 at 1:19:11 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Splain

I never paid much attention to Eminem, but of course I recognize a bunch of his stuff. I'm struggling to rate him though. Is he trying to be serious or funny? He doesn't fully do either. Just doing different styles doesn't automatically make someone good. It's hard to look past stuff like occasional fart jokes, weak rhyming, weak syllable stressing to shoehorn phrases where he wants them, all while calling himself a rap god. But I can appreciate that he's not trying to be black, and the songs are catchy, even if sometimes the words aren't.

To those saying he's "good at what he does," what exactly does he do?
Lol huh?  This is like saying artists can only sing one way...he has a lot of versatility in his music.  Some are funny, some are very serious, and his Rap God song is pretty EPIC.

He's overall a modern day pioneer of the rap scene, his speed when he wants to use it, the clarity in his vocals, his lyrics, his beats, his collaborations...all top notch and he's been doing it mainstream for about 20 years now.

May 03 at 1:31:10 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Lol huh?  This is like saying artists can only sing one way...he has a lot of versatility in his music.

Sorry, I mean that the songs I've heard (which, granted, are basically just the popular ones) aren't serious or funny, taken individually. No song fully does either. Which is fine and everything, but it's way off from how I perceived him back in the day.

May 03 at 1:32:58 PM
necroking (26)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
8/10

nominate: nightwish

May 03 at 1:33:27 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Splain

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Lol huh?  This is like saying artists can only sing one way...he has a lot of versatility in his music.

Sorry, I mean that the songs I've heard (which, granted, are basically just the popular ones) aren't serious or funny, taken individually. No song fully does either. Which is fine and everything, but it's way off from how I perceived him back in the day.

Plenty of songs do both. You probably just don't like this style of music.

May 03 at 1:40:46 PM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
annoying douche turning popstar

May 03 at 1:45:35 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Given that his early stuff was mostly an 'act', I don't know that I'll ever know the real him.

Shame that he had drug addictions... seemed to derail him a bit.

On the plus side, I hear he's a huge Donkey Kong (arcade) fan and player. That's a winner in my book.

May 03 at 1:48:55 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Idk how much drugs derailed him considering he's been the #1 rapper since he launched in the mainstream, and half of his early stuff wasn't an act.

Neat about the DK fact tho!

May 03 at 2:00:39 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: dra600n

Neat about the DK fact tho!

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/eminem-donkey-kon...

May 03 at 2:14:16 PM
Stooperzero (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
I liked his very early stuff..........like the others, once they poked their nose into politics I was done.

My choice- Manowar

My motha's on crack 

May 03 at 2:43:11 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
I nominate Queen

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

May 03 at 3:03:24 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
12 hours and he already has more votes than A7X got. Now you know why I'm doing such popular acts.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

May 03 at 3:08:24 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
People aren't aware of how many other artists Eminem does production work for. Yes, he raps but he's also a very successful producer, he won a Grammy for Lose Yourself, how many other rappers have a Grammy? The only rappers I can think of that rap, write and produce are:
- Eminem
- Kanye West
- Classified

Jay-Z, the best selling rapper in the world can't even make his own beats and Dr. Dre, the number 1 producer in the world can't write his own rhymes. That's why Jay writes for Dre and Dre makes beats for Jay. When someone like Eminem comes along and does everything, that's quite an accomplishment.

May 03 at 4:24:56 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
I voted 8/10. Should be higher though. He really is one of the greats!

I'd love to vote Nightwish, as they can be very polarizing among metal fans. I won't because who outside of metal fans knows who they are?

So I vote for Rage Against the Machine.

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 03 at 4:38:34 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: kguillemette

I'd love to vote Nightwish, as they can be very polarizing among metal fans. I won't because who outside of metal fans knows who they are?

I won't lie - I prepared a Nightwish slate of songs just several days ago.  Partially from a conscious effort to line up a decent number of females artists so that I'm not just doing an endless series of white dudes.  Which is harder than you think when your audience is primarily white dudes.

But I agree, the voting turnout would be very low for them, even if I am providing songs for people to listen to.  So it is probably a ways out.  If it even happens.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 05/03/2019 at 04:41 PM by Brock Landers

May 03 at 4:47:18 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I won't lie - I prepared a Nightwish slate of songs just several days ago.  Partially from a conscious effort to line up a decent number of females artists so that I'm not just doing an endless series of white dudes.  Which is harder than you think when your audience is primarily white dudes.

But I agree, the voting turnout would be very low for them, even if I am providing songs for people to listen to.  So it is probably a ways out.  If it even happens.

Did you find something from each of their three singers?

May 03 at 5:14:57 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico

How about doing Hole?

May 03 at 5:21:27 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Well I know the Tarja and Anette stuff pretty well, not the Jansen stuff.  Even though I saw her live.  But yes, to answer your question.

May 03 at 6:15:08 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
7 because i used to bump that shit but no way nowadays. Actual legit rap talent though.

May 03 at 6:16:20 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I vote for paramore, if we are talking about girl fronted groups.

May 03 at 6:35:36 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

Well I know the Tarja and Anette stuff pretty well, not the Jansen stuff.  Even though I saw her live.  But yes, to answer your question.

As long as one of the songs is "Bye Bye Beautiful".   Gotta love metal diss tracks!   

I think I've only heard one song with Floor.

May 03 at 9:24:45 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire

As long as one of the songs is "Bye Bye Beautiful".   Gotta love metal diss tracks!   

Floor fronts nightwish now? Ew. I couldn't listen to them without Tarja. Holopainen is a fine songwriter, but Tarja really made them. I still listen to Oceanborn and Once often.

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 03 at 9:48:34 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
8/10
I actually enjoy the more jokey stuff.

May 03 at 10:53:47 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

Floor fronts nightwish now? Ew. I couldn't listen to them without Tarja. Holopainen is a fine songwriter, but Tarja really made them. I still listen to Oceanborn and Once often.

While not quite the same, they're not bad with Floor and Anette.