Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do you prefer "rare" or obscure?

Sep 04 at 10:54:00 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Yesterday I had sent another forum member here, OptOut, a few pictures of an original Taiwan-made Gameboy game, published back in 1993. While the game is (somewhat) known in the right circles, the version that I'll likely receive in the mail this weekend is published by the original developer, as opposed to the later (known) republished version. This is stuff that is truly so rare and obscure, it makes little Samson or stadium events look common...I.e. even if I waved wads of cash around, the cart just won't surface, though if the cart sold at auction, it would probably sell for $100 or less, it's just that obscure.

That brings me up to the question, do you guys prefer "rare" games, i.e. stuff that's worth tons of money and somewhat rare, which is quite popular and known, or the truly obscure genuine rare stuff, which might not even be worth more than $20 ? Let's discuss.

-------------------------
-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 10:54 AM by fcgamer

Sep 04 at 11:07:28 AM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
The new term I've been using is Exotic.

I think of it as so rare, it can't be found anywhere except in the grips of one or two people that will never let it go.

Please see the new goodness:   www.videogamesage.com

Sep 04 at 11:43:15 AM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
I enjoy owning and obtaining both:

- "rare" where most are in agreement of its rarity are cool to show-and-tell to other forum fellas; makes me feel like I've gained some subconscious "achievement point" as a collector.

- "obscure" where genuinely rare but not many know or care, is cool from a "unique collection" perspective ie. the more obscure the items, the more unique the overall collection will be. Also these tend to be cheaper than the "rares" and you can often buy say 5-10 "obscures" instead of 1 "rare".

Sep 04 at 12:15:04 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: fcgamer

Yesterday I had sent another forum member here, OptOut, a few pictures of an original Taiwan-made Gameboy game, published back in 1993. While the game is (somewhat) known in the right circles, the version that I'll likely receive in the mail this weekend is published by the original developer, as opposed to the later (known) republished version.

Go on...

Sep 04 at 12:22:04 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
​Both. Because I use them snonymously. lol I don't care for the reasoning of sub-defining the words, although I understand that "rare" has a "what's known" connotation, whereas "obscure" is a bit more esoteric (thus cost is affected due to demand and popularity.) 

I just like to keep it simple. There's rare games out there that aren't worth squat, and common games that aren't cheap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 04 at 12:31:56 PM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Yes, but you already know that  

KDDK Player  

Sep 04 at 12:39:21 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: GPX

I enjoy owning and obtaining both:

- "rare" where most are in agreement of its rarity are cool to show-and-tell to other forum fellas; makes me feel like I've gained some subconscious "achievement point" as a collector.

- "obscure" where genuinely rare but not many know or care, is cool from a "unique collection" perspective ie. the more obscure the items, the more unique the overall collection will be. Also these tend to be cheaper than the "rares" and you can often buy say 5-10 "obscures" instead of 1 "rare".

Yep, good explanation

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Sep 04 at 12:59:05 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I don't chase rarities for rarity's sake. I like some things which happen to be rare, and that can be frustrating because they are hard or expensive to get. But I am with you; I like obscure things as well and they are just as nice to have. Maybe even more, because there is no concern about spending too much. While sometimes you have to cough up some dough because that's just the price of the thing you want, expensive things don't please me by virtue of their cost.

Sep 04 at 1:15:38 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
I like obscure oddball stuff that only a few people have.

Sep 04 at 1:20:51 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I can't get Instagram likes for Papillon Gals. I need them raers Little Samsons for validation.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 04 at 1:21:05 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
I like the discussion point. To me, understating what is truly 'obscure' requires some understanding and knowledge of what is out there... just because something is not often spoken about, does not necessarily make it a truly obscure item. So, IMO truly obscure items become increasingly more attractive the longer one is engaged in a collectibles hobby and the more knowledge one accumulates. Obscurity is essentially like chaos, and identifying an obscure item as common or rare is akin to creating order from chaos -- being at the frontier of documenting. I've always loved to collect to document, so that should highlight where my personal preference lies  

Sep 04 at 1:36:27 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Are you asking if I prefer things worth more money or less money?

Sep 04 at 1:59:22 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
(Sean ) < Eggplant Wizard >
District of Columbia
I don't necessarily collect because any of my games are rare or obscure, though that can be a cherry on top that makes my collection seem more interesting. I agree with the definitions GPX shared. More than anything, while the rare/obscure label makes it fun to discuss some of my games with others, more than anything the terms are a hint that I should pay extra attention to make sure the seller is offering an authentic cart and at a fair price.

Sep 04 at 1:59:42 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
I prefer "common". The word "rare" has been so overused, it's lost all meaning.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Sep 04 at 2:02:22 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I don't have a preference, I collect what I perceive to have value. That can be literal financial value (bought under what I think it's worth), rarity value (rarer than advertised), nostalgic value (memories), display value (looks cool) or gameplay value (fun to play).

However, in the interests of the thread, I find myself preferring rare items. Obscure stuff tends to be so niche that I'd only buy it cheap.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 05 at 12:50:42 PM
goombagamer103 (2)
< Little Mac >
Florida
I really don't care, whatever term you like better.

"I'm somewhat of a collectionist"

Sep 05 at 2:18:18 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
I'm more of an ass man myself.

Sep 05 at 2:50:00 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Scrumtrulescent

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Sep 07 at 1:24:40 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Like the term oddball items...
((Should add I stopped giving a damn what others are collecting or what new BS is trending)) Been on my handheld kick for years and it's not looking to die down any time soon. Well maybe if I hit my goal to own every varaint and model of Nintendo handheld released worldwide...

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Edited: 09/07/2019 at 01:27 AM by JaxsBox

Sep 07 at 2:09:33 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: jonebone

I don't have a preference, I collect what I perceive to have value. That can be literal financial value (bought under what I think it's worth), rarity value (rarer than advertised), nostalgic value (memories), display value (looks cool) or gameplay value (fun to play).

However, in the interests of the thread, I find myself preferring rare items. Obscure stuff tends to be so niche that I'd only buy it cheap.

^^Agreed 100%

Sep 07 at 5:06:23 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Scrumtrulescent

That's perfectly cromulent word.

Sep 08 at 2:11:53 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Obscure stuff. It often the most interesting...

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)