Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Holy crap. Analogue Super NT!!!! Preorder up now!

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:22:18 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Looks like there's a 4.4 update today.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:29:46 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Nightowljrm

Originally posted by: romevi

Does anyone have an idea when stock will be replenished?

Analogue might.

C'mon, man. You know I meant in the thread. Being snarky doesn't benefit anyone.

According to some random guy in facebook comments who claims to know; they aren't selling enough of the black one so they are trying to force people to buy it to level their stock out before they will let people buy the good colors.  So if you buy a bunch of black ones it might speed it up  

-------------------------
GRRR!

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:36:06 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: CMR

It's been out for like a week now.  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:37:53 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: cradelit

Analogue might.

C'mon, man. You know I meant in the thread. Being snarky doesn't benefit anyone.

According to some random guy in facebook comments who claims to know; they aren't selling enough of the black one so they are trying to force people to buy it to level their stock out before they will let people buy the good colors.  So if you buy a bunch of black ones it might speed it up  

It is also possible that black was the most popular color so they made more of them. Now the other variants are sold out. Those wanting another color might be waiting a long time for batch 3. I got NA purple myself.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:54:48 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Someone could buy a black one and send it to me. That would help reduce the stock.  

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:15:19 AM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
I signed up for a new credit card just so I could order one of these.  

I'm holding off and hoping that they re-release the original purple color though. The black one is ok but I want to have it match my AVS with the original color scheme.

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:42:58 AM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois

Analogue might.

But being snarky is all I can do...  

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:49:54 PM
SmaMan (0)
(Smalliard Manning) < Crack Trooper >
Oklahoma
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: SmaMan

Originally posted by: MottZilla

I got mine in on Friday! Been a busy weekend but I'm finally getting around to playing it.

Everything I've thrown at it has worked and looks glorious! ...Except for Donkey Kong Country 2. It works fine in my original SNES console, but every time I stick it in the Super NT, it gives me that message of "This product will not operate when connected to a device which makes unauthorized copies. Please refer to your instruction booklet for further information."

I was having this same issue with DKC3 at first. I gave them both a real good swabbing and got DKC3 to work. But futher cleanings have done nothing for DKC2. Anyone else having this problem? I was using the Jailbreak firmware but rolled it back to the official 4.4 to see if that would fix it, but nothing.

Did you try the DKC2 cartridge on an original system to see if it's working there? The way DKC (1,2,3) detect this is by doing a test to see how much SRAM is available inside the cartridge. If the amount doesn't appear to match the expected amount it will throw you at that screen. This can happen sometimes when the cartridge contacts or connector are making poor contact. However it could also be because of a broken track, solder joint, or bad SRAM chip. One thing you could try is by using the Game Genie feature you could bypass this screen.

Enter the first two codes and if that doesn't work try adding the 3rd which I don't think is needed.

6DA4-5A8B  FEC522 80
6D8F-833E  FBBE1B 80
E6EE-E7D7  C0FFFC F8

That's for Version 1.1. Version 1.0 might require different codes.

For 1.0 use:

6D8D-833E  FBBE0B 80
6DAF-52EB  FEC517 80
E6EE-E7D7  C0FFFC F8

You only have to enter the left part of the codes posted. The right side refers to the decoded version of each code. One set of these codes should bypass the screen for you.
As I said above, it works just fine on my original hardware. It even saves and retains said saves just fine. (Though the anti-piracy trigger seems to wipe them out.)

I got the cart open today to give it a good deep cleaning. If that doesn't solve it, I'll check out those codes. I'm aware of how that particular trigger happens, and I've been wondering if a code could get around that SRAM check. (Since you can replicate it with a code as well.)

UPDATE: Cleaning didn't work. So I tried out the codes, and unless I got them wrong, (I might need to try again with the classic font since the default makes it hard to tell B and 8 apart.) they didn't get me past the screen. I tried both sets since I'm not sure what version this is.

And the process for this is to put in the code, then enable it, and then click "Run Cartridge" on the front menu, right?

Originally posted by: themisfit138

DKC 2 looks to be working on 3.1.

Is that the one that shipped with the console? I can't find that version to download on their support site.

UPDATE: I did try rolling back to 4.3, and didn't get any different results.

I've attached some board images in case anybody is curious. Not sure what else to try at this point. This cart just DOES NOT like the Super NT!

Your cartridge is probably bunk dude.  

Did you try updating the firmware to latest version? Both DKC2 and DKC3 games (physical carts) run fine on my Super NT using JB firmware 6.5 (equivalent to official firmware v4.4). Absolutely no popup warnings or other errors.

As I said above, I tried all sorts of firmware versions, both official and jailbreak.

But I DID get it to work finally by moving it around back and forth in the slot. Of course, I could never get this to happen consistently, so you're right, the cart's pins probably aren't working as they should, though I'll again I could try this game 10 times on my original SNES, and it would boot 10 times.

Since it hasn't been that long, and I'm gonna be in that area tomorrow, I'm probably just gonna try to return it from where I got it, I guess. I'll be fine playing it via the jailbreak (or Super Powerpak) for now.

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:16:33 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States

I must have misread something on the blog post.

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:54:46 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

I must have misread something on the blog post.

Check the date stamp in this forum post. Sunday March 4th, 12:55am
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/...

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:09:03 PM
MottZilla (0)
(Mott Zilla) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
The changes UCON64 made which is how I got the Game Genie codes to try on DKC2 seem to be wrong from what I've seen from investigating it a bit further. Codes are possible but unfortunately it wasn't that easy to find them. You could still potentially get the game working if you get the right codes. It is very odd for the cartridge to work on original hardware but trigger the anti-piracy on the Super NT.

Another thing you could try is inserting it into the Super NT through a real Game Genie to see if it's the connector on the Super NT not quite liking the DKC2 edge connector.

Edited: 03/16/2018 at 03:10 PM by MottZilla

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:49:13 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

The changes UCON64 made which is how I got the Game Genie codes to try on DKC2 seem to be wrong from what I've seen from investigating it a bit further. Codes are possible but unfortunately it wasn't that easy to find them. You could still potentially get the game working if you get the right codes. It is very odd for the cartridge to work on original hardware but trigger the anti-piracy on the Super NT.

Another thing you could try is inserting it into the Super NT through a real Game Genie to see if it's the connector on the Super NT not quite liking the DKC2 edge connector.
Yes, from my understanding, the anti-piracy warning targets copier devices, not cloned hardware. If you play DKC2 or 3 on a hardware clone, you'll get access to the same amount of SRAM that's physically built into the cartridge. Applying an arbitrary amount of SRAM for the game to play around with, especially on copier carts which utilized more RAM than needed, or emulators that don't apply the correct amount, you'll get the errors.

I wonder how it runs on the Everdrive and the Super NT JB firmware? Do the SNES ROMS specify how much RAM is on the cart? I may mess around with it on my Everdrive and see if I can get the warning to pop up by forcing incorrect settings.

It's also plausible that one of the address lines to the RAM could be malfunctioned, such as a bad trace on the PCB itself, or bit rot of the mask rom causing the check to fail. Also if one of the RAM bits is stuck returning incorrect values? But that would cause the same error on a real SNES if there was a cartridge defect.

Edited: 03/16/2018 at 07:50 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:51:56 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >

Well, I know for a fact DKC2 works on mine, so you sure it isnt just dirty pins or something?

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:55:06 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Oddzball

Well, I know for a fact DKC2 works on mine, so you sure it isnt just dirty pins or something?

DKC2 works on mine as well, from start to finish. No issues at all.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:23:29 PM
SmaMan (0)
Oklahoma

Well, like I said in my last post above, the fact that it only seemed to work at certain times depending on the cart’s position inside the slot, seems to mean to me that something’s up with the pins, though as Kosmic pointed out, it could be some issue with the board I didn’t catch when I had it out. (See last page for photos)

Either way, I was able to return it and get a shinier copy. All it needed was a bit of swabbing and it booted right up. 

But thanks everyone for all your suggestions for, at least for a while, seemed like a very odd situation. 

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:22:29 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Well, like I said in my last post above, the fact that it only seemed to work at certain times depending on the cart’s position inside the slot, seems to mean to me that something’s up with the pins, though as Kosmic pointed out, it could be some issue with the board I didn’t catch when I had it out. (See last page for photos)

Either way, I was able to return it and get a shinier copy. All it needed was a bit of swabbing and it booted right up. 

But thanks everyone for all your suggestions for, at least for a while, seemed like a very odd situation. 

No detective work, no electrical sleuthing, no security bits, just return and replace? Comforting to know the seller took it back and more than likely threw an otherwise great game in the trash.  

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:49:48 AM
SmaMan (0)
Oklahoma

No detective work, no electrical sleuthing, no security bits, just return and replace? Comforting to know the seller took it back and more than likely threw an otherwise great game in the trash.  

Uhh... check back through the thread. There were a ton of trials, errors, and retrials done as we tried to figure out what was going on. This was my project for the past week, and even though I was never able to get it running on the Super NT, I know this cart is in good hands.

The seller is actually the manager of a game shop in the OKC area, and has way more time and resources available to fix it good as new than I ever could. When I brought it back to him and told him what was going on and the multitude of things we tried, (Big shoutout to Kevtris and the Analogue Discord community as well!) he said he was more than willing to take it from there, said it was “his baby,” and promptly swapped me out with a new one. 

So believe me when I say that DKC2 is not going in the trash. In fact, we probably saved it from such a fate.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:35:16 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Uhh... check back through the thread. There were a ton of trials, errors, and retrials done as we tried to figure out what was going on. This was my project for the past week, and even though I was never able to get it running on the Super NT, I know this cart is in good hands.

The seller is actually the manager of a game shop in the OKC area, and has way more time and resources available to fix it good as new than I ever could. When I brought it back to him and told him what was going on and the multitude of things we tried, (Big shoutout to Kevtris and the Analogue Discord community as well!) he said he was more than willing to take it from there, said it was “his baby,” and promptly swapped me out with a new one. 

So believe me when I say that DKC2 is not going in the trash. In fact, we probably saved it from such a fate.

Glad to hear that!  

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:13:29 AM
Kevtris (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
A new firmware update for the Super NT has been posted.

Fixed Unholy Night crash/graphics issue.
Fixed the -1 fix again to remove vertical zebra stripes.
Fixed high-res colour math issues so Marvelous: Another Treasure Island works now without graphic glitches.
Fixed Chrono Trigger crashing on entering save menu.
Fixed Rendering Ranger R2 / Targa.
Fixed Flashback's audio buzz when entering inventory.
Fixed Arabian Nights audio feedback issue.
Changed wording of the checkbox in the cheat codes. It now says "enable checked codes" to reduce confusion.
Changed "tools" menu to "cheat codes".
Added a "disable hotkeys" feature under hot keys. This lets you disable all hotkeys and controller auto polling until power is cycled.
Fixed "menu bounce" setting so it shows up again.
Fixed Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose audio crash
Fixed Batman Returns audio crash
Added debugger under "hardware" menu (probably not the most useful for most people but I use it a lot so someone developing a game might find it useful).

This rounds out most of the problems people had that I know of. Top Gear 3000 still has an issue as does Front Mission (jumping text) but that should be fixed by the TG3K fix. I will fix these on the next release.

It is available here:

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en...

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:56:12 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Kevtris

[awesome work]

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us
Awesome! I'll try this when I get back home.

Kevtris doesn't rest.

Edited: 03/26/2018 at 10:56 AM by Ichinisan

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:40:40 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Thanks for all your hard work Kevtris.

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:45:32 AM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
Originally posted by: Kevtris

A new firmware update for the Super NT has been posted.

Fixed Unholy Night crash/graphics issue.
Fixed the -1 fix again to remove vertical zebra stripes.
Fixed high-res colour math issues so Marvelous: Another Treasure Island works now without graphic glitches.
Fixed Chrono Trigger crashing on entering save menu.
Fixed Rendering Ranger R2 / Targa.
Fixed Flashback's audio buzz when entering inventory.
Fixed Arabian Nights audio feedback issue.
Changed wording of the checkbox in the cheat codes. It now says "enable checked codes" to reduce confusion.
Changed "tools" menu to "cheat codes".
Added a "disable hotkeys" feature under hot keys. This lets you disable all hotkeys and controller auto polling until power is cycled.
Fixed "menu bounce" setting so it shows up again.
Fixed Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose audio crash
Fixed Batman Returns audio crash
Added debugger under "hardware" menu (probably not the most useful for most people but I use it a lot so someone developing a game might find it useful).

This rounds out most of the problems people had that I know of. Top Gear 3000 still has an issue as does Front Mission (jumping text) but that should be fixed by the TG3K fix. I will fix these on the next release.

It is available here:

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us
When will the other colors return?

Edited: 03/27/2018 at 02:45 AM by cartman

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:39:29 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
A tweet I just read indicates that the just-updated jailbreak can dump your SNES games to SD!

https://twitter.com/smokemonstertwi/status/97847266637299302...

Edited: 03/27/2018 at 08:40 AM by Ichinisan

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:57:32 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

A tweet I just read indicates that the just-updated jailbreak can dump your SNES games to SD!

https://twitter.com/smokemonstertwi/status/97847266637299302...

Wow.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:54:14 AM
Odin Belmont (0)
< Little Mac >
England
Awesome work Kevtris.