Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Game Hack Super Mario Unlimited Be sure to update to newest patch released Jan 17 (v0.998)

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:11:05 AM
frantik (12)

(fr antik) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: Segertar

The best SMB hack I have played. Very well done.

Have you considered a CIB release?

thanks, I'm glad you liked it and thanks everybody else for the kind words

as far as CIB..  if there was enough interest AND people were willing to pre-order, i would be happy to design the box artwork and manual for it.   i'm not sure of the interest level though.  I could make something special for the box edition too, there's a whole bank in the rom left for stuff, but I just wanted to get the game out there since it's been in production for like 4 years.

btw can anyone point me to templates for the boxes and manuals and such?

-------------------------
Super Mario Unlimited - My epic SMB hack
My custom NES Arcade joystick

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:30:15 AM
Segertar (125)
(T. F.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
I would be interested in a LE CIB. If numbered I call #1!!!

What's your price point??

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:32:30 AM
RASK1904 (196)
(Roger D.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
I would like one as I hate emulation.

My ebay   http://shop.ebay.com/rask1904/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562                                                                                                                     ................................My fs thread....
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...    

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:02:43 AM
frantik (12)

California

I would be interested in a LE CIB. If numbered I call #1!!!

What's your price point??

i don't know how much it would cost to have everything produced.. I wouldn't try to make a huge profit or anything though since it's a hack.. but a little pocket change would be nice

and #1 stays with me buddy

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:06:16 AM
Segertar (125)
Wisconsin

Fiiiiine... #2

If you have never done a cart release; talk to those who have.

How about we have a couple members chime in and let us know what costs are involved.

Edited: 12/29/2011 at 04:08 AM by Segertar

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:01:59 AM
Macko88 (13)
(B M) < Crack Trooper >
South Australia
Originally posted by: frantik

The best SMB hack I have played. Very well done.

Have you considered a CIB release?

thanks, I'm glad you liked it and thanks everybody else for the kind words

as far as CIB..  if there was enough interest AND people were willing to pre-order...

Count me in for a pre-order  

Edited: 12/29/2011 at 05:09 AM by Macko88

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:02:16 AM
2Legit28Bit (170)
(Anthony Lazzari) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
if you do decide to do a CIB, I wouldnt mind having one as well

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:21:15 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Man do I love my PowerPak. Everyone should have one, well worth the price tag just even just for something like this.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:01:32 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Put me down if you do a CIB

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:16:13 PM
HocusPocus (19)
< Meka Chicken >
United States

Fiiiiine... #2

If you have never done a cart release; talk to those who have.

How about we have a couple members chime in and let us know what costs are involved.

Depends on what board it uses. I'm assuming standard MMC3 similar to Mario 3. Also depends if it needs to be able to save so adding battery support. Mario Adventure had ram issues so you had to switch the ram with an obscure sony chip.

Eproms fluctuate in price and quality. Failure rate can be high if you go the used route. Profit margin drops when buying new.

If you plan on producing the boards yourself you have to obtain chips beyond eproms - mappers, CIC chip etc.

How do you plan on printing and cutting the boxes? Offset printing? That's about $800.00 just to fire up the machine.

You could do inkjet, but that's about the most expensive way to print and it's slow.

Labels need printed and cut.

Cart plastics need to be in good shape. When aquiring donors thats hit and miss and you usually have to rob from other games to have nice clean plastics.

How are you printing manuals? Again, could do offset, but high. Could also do laser, however color toner is pricey.

I'm not trying to disuade you from doing this, your game looks amazing, but I've made a lot of repros and can tell you, it can be quite a pricey thing to do a large run of games if you haven't done it before and don't know the pitfalls.

I recommend getting either coinhaven, bunny, or (ahem) myself to do it for you (had to throw in a plug... oh the shame).

-S

Get ready for Pascali :)

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:20:59 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
At the moment, according to Nestopia, Super Mario Unlimited uses SJROM. According to Bootgod, there's only 3 US released games with that board... Air Fortress, The Chessmaster and Miracle Piano.

Edited: 12/29/2011 at 01:21 PM by Guntz

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:35:46 PM
HocusPocus (19)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: Guntz

At the moment, according to Nestopia, Super Mario Unlimited uses SJROM. According to Bootgod, there's only 3 US released games with that board... Air Fortress, The Chessmaster and Miracle Piano.

I'd have to research it a bit. It appears to me that it's a hack of SMB3, which is an MMC3 game.

SJROM is an MMC1 board. Chessmaster would work, as it seems to be readily available at reasonable pricess.

Regardless, love the hack.

Get ready for Pascali :)

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:56:36 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: nesrepro

I'd have to research it a bit. It appears to me that it's a hack of SMB3, which is an MMC3 game.

SJROM is an MMC1 board. Chessmaster would work, as it seems to be readily available at reasonable pricess.

It says in the first post that it's an SMB1 hack.  Also, the other clue should have been the status/timer/score bar being at the top and being see-through.

Graphic hacks are pretty straightforward.  Changing how backgrounds scroll and where scores are presented is a slightly different level of hack.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:57:30 PM
frantik (12)

California
Originally posted by: nesrepro

it's a hack of Super Mario Bros 1, not 3  

and yeah mapper is MMC1.

a long time ago i talked with coinheaven and bunny about making a run of carts.  ill look into it again.

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Graphic hacks are pretty straightforward.

this is a lot more than just a graphics hack :-p  but yeah hacking the SMB3 engine to look like SMB1 would be a ton of work

Edited: 12/29/2011 at 02:20 PM by frantik

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:54:43 PM
galvatryne (119)
(david desgagne) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Put me on the list for a CIB (if your ever make one)

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:10:21 PM
83skillz (9)
(Sean Killingbeck) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Just checked it out and it is AWESOME! I really wanna put this one on a cart for my collection too! Thanks for all the hard work! Hope there's going to be more in the future.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:08:56 PM
frantik (12)

California
I just updated the patch to v0.994.. fixed some pipes in the later levels that you're not supposed to be able to enter. download link in first post

for those who can make your own carts, i would hold off a little while since game is in final Beta stages and people are still discovering bugs

Edited: 12/29/2011 at 11:31 PM by frantik

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:22:42 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
I also hate emulation, put me down as interested in a CIB. I still buy records and CDs and I still don't own an MP3 or whatever you call those newfangled gizmos.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:36:32 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Graphic hacks are pretty straightforward.

this is a lot more than just a graphics hack :-p  but yeah hacking the SMB3 engine to look like SMB1 would be a ton of work

Please don't take my comment as disparaging your work or effort.  It was more along the lines of saying it is worlds easier to make SMB1 have SMB3 quality graphics than it is to make SMB3 have an SMB1 status bar.  ( also, straightforward doesn't need to imply easy or fast, since a good graphics hack takes awhile to complete... It just means the path to completion is clearly defined )

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:40:10 AM
Segertar (125)
Wisconsin

I just updated the patch to v0.994.. fixed some pipes in the later levels that you're not supposed to be able to enter. download link in first post

for those who can make your own carts, i would hold off a little while since game is in final Beta stages and people are still discovering bugs

If you decide to make a CIB, make sure these are all fixed!!!

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:14:48 AM
kidkratos (13)
(kid kratos) < Crack Trooper >
Utah
bump this back to the top because it looks cool

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:48:07 AM
frantik (12)

California

If you decide to make a CIB, make sure these are all fixed!!!

that's the plan

patch v0.995 released (link on 1st page updated).. fixes some very minor 8-5 pipes.. should *hopefully* be the last level revision.  the level editor i use needs to make it move obvious which pipes are "open" and which are closed cause i left way too many set wrong. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:07:41 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with level 5-5? Ive spent almost 3 hours on it, and it just keeps looping. No matter what I try, it just seems to loop. Don't tell me what to do, I just want to know the game isn't broke.

edit: nevermind, figured it out

Edited: 12/30/2011 at 12:17 PM by Mog

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:36:41 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
^ Mog is no mere mortal, he's pure machine.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:39:15 PM
frantik (12)

California
Originally posted by: MrMiniMog

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with level 5-5? Ive spent almost 3 hours on it, and it just keeps looping. No matter what I try, it just seems to loop. Don't tell me what to do, I just want to know the game isn't broke.

edit: nevermind, figured it out

muhuahahaha </evil laugh>