Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(RE)Sealed games on eBay (H-seam seals) Does anyone agree with this?

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:09:10 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I nearly hit BUYITNOW when I saw this for $99.99... Glad I didn't!

SEALED Zelda GOLD Game Complete in Box Lot Nintendo NES
H-Seam SEALED Game - like BRAND NEW - 100% COMPLETE!!

I know this has been discussed on here before, but it seems to be popping up a lot more lately from sellers trying to make a quick buck on new or unsuspecting NES collectors.

It's one thing to re shrink wrap a NES game, but another to replicate the H-seam seal.

I personally think eBay needs to do something as it's not fair to other sellers who have better condition
games, but won't stoop so low as to shrinkwrap it and throw "SEALED!" in the title.

ZELDA Auction here
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEALED-Zelda-...

For people sealing games for their own collection.. that's fine. For people selling resealed games
claiming it's to protect the game.... use a Ziplock baggie.. it will protect it better and it's freezer safe!

This seller is going so far as to factory sealing controllers & systems too.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Gimme...

I feel this is really going to hurt collecting as a whole. Sure some sellers do say it's a REseal, but
what about the buyer of these auctions? Do you really think they are going to be honest about it
being a resealed, used game? For them, it may be a $99 investment to resell for $600. Easy money...
Now multiple that over and over again.. people flooding the scene with fraud. Will anyone feel safe
keeping a sealed game in their collection? It's so easy to scam people who never intend on opening a sealed game.

I'd like to hear what you guys think of this. Sorry if I'm pissing anyone off who sells like this. I just wanted to share my feelings on it.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:15:54 PM
NesFan80 (46)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(No Allegiances) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
i think it's crap honestly. Ive gotten quite a few sealed games on ebay but i stuck with a trusted seller u guys might have heard of DOV, mdm trade.

The whole collecting sealed nes games is cool and all, but ive heard the argument that theres no point if you are not gonna open it. I personally got legit sealed copies of my all time fav games and a few others and left it at that. But alot of newer collectors do fall for this and dont even know it. Hell, alot of folks dont even read the description too well, get scammed then go back to see that they failed to read it right.

i do not agree with resealing and passing it off as new. i think that it does indeed hurt collecting sealed games as some will be more jaded and cautious to do so. thats just my 2 cents though.

-------------------------
  man of no words nor allegiances...the silence has returned..

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:24:40 PM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
This seller has been doing this for awhile, there is a whole thread discussing just him:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:39:46 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
Originally posted by: superNESman

This seller has been doing this for awhile, there is a whole thread discussing just him:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&thr...

Thanks for the link. I didn't see that the first time.

I'm really surprised he has been doing it this long yet has no bad feedback to speak of. There were a few suspect FB though that might indicate that he refunded them in exchange for positive feedback..."Seller was very understanding"

and you have this which seems like he had it converted from a NEG to a Neutral

Item was not new. Seller refunded money, but relisted item as new again.
sotc2 ( 80)
Jan-27-09 09:43

• Reply by gimmethatthing (Jan-28-09 13:02):
    Look at 100% FB! I wouldn't be in business as a liar! Sent same items pictured!!
    • Follow-up by sotc2 (Jan-30-09 13:28):
      Item NOT new and he knows it.Wanted to refund AFTER I left feedback. Use caution

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:52:54 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
i always wanted to dab a little bit into sealed games, but things like this definitely keep me away from it. apart from H-seem I would have no idea on what isn't a reseal.

Let's Go Penguins!

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:33:07 PM
GoldVWBug (25)
(Tyler Connelly) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Another good dealer in sealed is our very own rarebucky. Same name on ebay. He has a huge store, and I got a very nice bubble bobble from him legit mint condition. But that is just one ugly auction for the zelda, yeesh.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:36:09 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
A good alternative to sealing your games is those clear resealable DVD-Video baggies. They fit perfectly and are cheap as dirt!... They look pretty dang good too.

Edited: 10/24/2009 at 06:36 PM by spoonman

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:51:24 PM
GoldVWBug (25)
(Tyler Connelly) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
thats quite beautiful spoonman. droool.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:27:31 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
Thanks

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:19:06 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

i always wanted to dab a little bit into sealed games, but things like this definitely keep me away from it. apart from H-seem I would have no idea on what isn't a reseal.

its not that hard to educate yourself, and if you can't be bothered there is always vga stuff - you can have confidence in that.   Its only as much of a problem as you allow it to be.    And after a bit of experience its pretty easy to spot reseals anyways

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:42:11 PM
spoonman (66)
New York
Originally posted by: Bronty

its not that hard to educate yourself, and if you can't be bothered there is always vga stuff - you can have confidence in that.   Its only as much of a problem as you allow it to be.    And after a bit of experience its pretty easy to spot reseals anyways

Is there a chart of what to look for? I have been buying sealed NES games since before they started sealing them and that Zelda looks convincing. Of course since I knew about reseals prior to this, I would never buy unless I knew the seller.

If the H-Seam is possible to do from this amateur, who's to say it couldn't be perfected to the point a 1:1 replica?

I wonder if any reseals have ever slipped past VGA graders... that would seriously suck.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:58:22 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: spoonman

Is there a chart of what to look for? I have been buying sealed NES games since before they started sealing them and that Zelda looks convincing. Of course since I knew about reseals prior to this, I would never buy unless I knew the seller.

If the H-Seam is possible to do from this amateur, who's to say it couldn't be perfected to the point a 1:1 replica?

I wonder if any reseals have ever slipped past VGA graders... that would seriously suck.
I disagree, that zelda is among the LEAST convincing reseals I have ever seen its friggin' terrible!    Nick did a reseal guide a while back; it wasn't perfect but it was a start.    You could start with that.    I don't think so on the VGA graders; they've gotten pretty good.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:02:17 AM
blarky (37)
(b0rk b0rk) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Even if the seal could be replicated 100% (which it hasn't been... trust me), there is always the story that the cardboard box tells. There have been some decent re-seals, but what always gives it away are the key wear points on the cardboard box.

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:20:41 AM
Frost271 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
that is a horrible reseal job. ive seen better. =/

Looking to buy mint condition, factory sealed nes titles!

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:25:49 AM
Frost271 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
United States

heres a slightly better one. still shitty though. http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000213...

point is you gotta be careful. ask for more pics. ive lost a few good deals because of this rule but its better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Edited: 10/25/2009 at 04:27 AM by Frost271

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:30:42 AM
Frost271 (20)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
heres another beauty... LOL i think i can go all night with this.. http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-ROBOCOP-3...

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:26:56 AM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
So, is it against any rules for us to go into his feedback and send messages to all the people who have bought his fake games and inform them that they are reseals?

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:43:15 PM
Gameboy (22)
(Stian Olsen) < Meka Chicken >
Norway
Originally posted by: Frost271

heres a slightly better one. still shitty though. http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000213...

point is you gotta be careful. ask for more pics. ive lost a few good deals because of this rule but its better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Care to share why you mean this is a reseal?
Looks like the real deal to me, and the box doesn't have any wear.
The pictures are too small for me to spot anything wrong...

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:46:01 PM
dr.robbie (175)
Missouri

I disagree, that zelda is among the LEAST convincing reseals I have ever seen its friggin' terrible!    Nick did a reseal guide a while back; it wasn't perfect but it was a start.    You could start with that.    I don't think so on the VGA graders; they've gotten pretty good.

any idea where I could find this reseal guide? I'd be interested for sure.

Let's Go Penguins!

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:07:48 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

umm... very likely legit

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:08:16 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

heres another beauty... LOL i think i can go all night with this.. http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-ROBOCOP-3-NEW-IN-FACTORY-SEALED...

also very likely legit... easy with the lynch mob guys

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:09:25 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

any idea where I could find this reseal guide? I'd be interested for sure.

it was an ebay guide - attached I think to his servicegames-somethign or other id.   Sorry I can't be more exact but if you search the ebay guides you should probably find it

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:20:40 PM
dr.robbie (175)
Missouri
think i found it

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Sp...

thanks

Let's Go Penguins!

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:50:53 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Both Short Order Eggsplode and Robocop 3 look legit to me from what I can see on pics. What's wrong with them Frost?

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:08:11 PM
dr.robbie (175)
Missouri
^ I was wondering if it's because the H-seam is meeting up so nicely - no overlap or offset or anything.

Let's Go Penguins!