Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Super Mario all-stars for famicom? What donar cart would be needed?

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:54:50 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I'm wanting to possibly make a cartridge of this using one of those famicom koei carts that has Nintendo in the upper left side of the housing. Maybe even a compilation of other mario games as well on the same cart. What donar cart would be needed I'm new to this but have been doing a bit of research on it. 

-------------------------

Edited: 02/10/2018 at 11:55 PM by Nesmaniac

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:54:18 AM
Ice Man (22)

< Meka Chicken >
Germany

Edited: 02/11/2018 at 05:55 AM by Ice Man

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:11:54 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
Kentucky

Thanks a lot Ice Man. I'd found a bit of info last night but nothing confirming Nobunaga 2 worked so I just bought a couple of copies of it after seeing you had it on the list because it was cheapest, I bought 5 copies of Nobunaga 1 for famicom (for that cartridge case that says Nintendo in upper corner 1 of which said famicom which I nabbed too since it might have different board, only copy I saw with famicom of the 1st one) & for good measure a namcot family pinball game because it was cheap and looks fun. I'm actually thinking the cases for the famicom games will come in handy if I ever make a few neat carts for famicom & custom paint them. They used the same housing as the special punch-out game (Gold) & I think it would be pretty cool to make a nice Mario All-Stars famicom to fit into one of these other Nintendo housings & having a nice glossy label made for it. Wish I could have gotten those ones I barely missed you had that all-stars game I can't find anywhere I'd love to know who made it and what was involved it even had it's own box. I'm just wondering if the roms worked properly I've been reading a bit about famicom all-stars attempts at getting them dumped onto a cartridge but with bugs. At any rate I figure with time more and more of this stuff will be available and having the boards and housings for the games will be a good start just in case. Aftermarket plastic shells are generally crappy quality so I think 3-4 bucks for the original shells along with having the game boards inside is a good deal. Totally new to this if I can get someone to possibly do a good dump of mario games that I could install in these shells that would be route I would like to take. I have no dumper or none of that stuff to work with but guess I could get into it if it's not real expensive. 

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:46:12 PM
Ice Man (22)

< Meka Chicken >
Germany
I made the box/label/cart myself but I don't have the artworks anymore.
The hack itself was made by infidelity however.

Also, it is recommended to know how to solder. You will also need an EPROM programmer and EPROMs to replace the on board CHR and PRG ROMs. Good luck with that!

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:55:23 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Ice Man

I made the box/label/cart myself but I don't have the artworks anymore.
The hack itself was made by infidelity however.

Also, it is recommended to know how to solder. You will also need an EPROM programmer and EPROMs to replace the on board CHR and PRG ROMs. Good luck with that!
Awesome stuff. I typed in famicom infidelity and read through about 25 pages of discussions between you, he, and a few more during the long and tough process he went through to get the bugs worked out of the games. I'm surprised aliexpress isn't selling a mario all-stars famicoma and NES game even if it don't have save features and such. I have a old copy of mario 2 on cartridge (lost levels) I purchased on ebay around 15 years ago from a lady in Thailand (back then I paid a fortune for it like near $200 I think) and now lost levels is common so maybe all-stars just hasn't found it's way yet or maybe it's the MMC5 mapper chip that's the main issue & is absolutely necessary. I can see you guys took it farther than anyone else so far that I can find maybe someday I'll get to the point of being able to get the rom put onto a cart but it's a bit overwhelming seeing all that's involved to a newb such as myself. Repairing old famicoms and stuff has been something I've enjoyed so I thought taking it to the next level and make a cool cart like this would be a great learning experience. Seems playing the games individually is still the best experience though from purely a gameplay perspective.