Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Savage Empire on the SNES (translation?) This was my favorite game as a kid...

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:50:46 PM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Hey everyone,

So here's the deal, "Savage Empire" (one of the "Worlds of Ultima" games), was one of my favorite PC games from my childhood, (awesome Adventure / Ultima 7 type game, that takes place in Prehistoric era, and you are an Indiana Jones type guy who has to collect stuff to make knives, gunpowder, and find your friends and save a hot amazonian chick, and get back to his own time era)  All in all... a great adventure game!! 

So I recently found out that a version of this game was converted for the Super Famicom, I scooped up a copy right away!  but after some searching... I can't seem to find any info of an English Translation anywhere?? 

I LOVE this game, and if a Translation does not exist, I would like to create a translation (using the US version of the PC game as a reference)

I don't know where to start however... ??  how does a fan translation get started?? 

Let me know, thanks!  Zwario,   Oh, and here's some pictures, in case anyone remembers this game
Savage Empire1
Savage Empire2
Savage Empire3

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:04:10 PM
vladictivo (112)
(Vladi ) < Lolo Lord >
Mexico
It looks like an interesting game, I hope you manage to contact a translator for the game.

-------------------------
  Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:21:52 PM
floydfan38 (20)

(Jason Bump) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Looks pretty sweet! I would love a translation for it

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:10:58 PM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
There's so many fantastic SFC games that'd make for great translation projects, you can toss this onto the pile I guess.

Really though all it'd likely take is finding someone to do the hacking, and possibly ponying up some of your own $ to "inspire" them to get it done in a reasonable timeframe, (especially since there's already an English version somewhere to just steal the script from).

To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:06:03 AM
Zwario (30)
California
Found this recently...

http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/SNES...

-----------------
The port for Savage Empire on the Super Nintendo was released on 1995, almost 5 years after the release of the original game. This version was only produced in Japanese, and it was released only in Japan. It is not known why it was not translated to English. I can tell you that this game actually WAS translated to English but the English translation was never released. I was one of 2 game testers for the English version of this game during my time at Origin.
-----------------

trying to figure out who wrote this article??? (any hints?) (i love these rare US prototype treasure hunts!!)

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:19:52 AM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
I love the second in the Ultima worlds series Martian Dreams.. I never really got into this one though probably because I had the original pc version of Martian Dreams but I've only played this one through dosbox and never had the map or manual. but the story looks pretty solid I wish that they expanded upon this series I don't know why they abandoned it after 2 games.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Edited: 03/18/2013 at 01:20 AM by rokubungi

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:00:14 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Given the box art on the front and back, I can see why this would get the attention of a young boy.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:47:20 PM
Enternal (19)
(Edge Geraldine) < El Ripper >
Florida
Yea I was just gonna say, some tribal hawtness on the cover art.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:04:08 PM
snes_collector (86)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
I'm pretty sure this got some coverage in some US Magazines around the time. I've saw info on in before, but I just can't remember where. It was either a magazine or a web article though. Shame it never got a US release.

Box art is really cool too.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:55:03 PM
Steve (12)
(Steve RVG) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Some good info here, including the game being reviewed in EGM issue #66

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/s...

RVGFANATIC | SNES reviews and remembrances

RELIVE | REPLAY | REMEMBER

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:13:37 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
It was probably never translated because games like that were considered PC-fare. U7 came to the SNES in a terribly butchered form, due to censorship and space constraints.

*In your shoes before translating anything, I would attempt to play through it somehow to see if there are any major changes.
*I don't know how much they would be willing to help, but you may want to try asking various Ultima/classic PC game type boards too.
*A quick search told me it also came out on the X68000 and PC98 Japanese computer systems, it's a long shot, but maybe there's a translation for those.

Too be honest I never knew that game came out on the SFC, I suck at Ultima, but I like it for some reason, so thanks for posting this.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:39:06 PM
Zwario (30)
California
Originally posted by: Steve

Some good info here, including the game being reviewed in EGM issue #66

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?134138-Savage...

Thanks for sharing this link.... found this on there: 

An insider at Origin has now told me that they did complete an English version of this game for the SNES, but FCI decided after its completion not to release the game in the US. The Japanese version was released (in Japan, of course) in mid-1995. The English version of the game was reviewed in the January 1995 issue Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine (pp. 220-221), and described then as "95% complete". I'm still trying to contact someone at FCI to confirm that the English version was withheld from the market. If nothing else, since the code for the English version of this game exists, maybe someone could talk FCI or Origin into releasing it as freeware for play via an SNES emulator.

Hmmmm.....  anyone have any old contacts at FCI or Origin?? 

May 21, 2013 at 1:30:37 AM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
a little bit of thread resurrection. both Savage Empire and Martian Dreams are free on GOG I don't know if they were when this was first posted but they are now. try them out. I'm going to try to get through Savage Empire (because I've already beaten Martian Dreams nearly 20 years ago)

be warned that you may have to take notes to get through these games because they use a keyword text parser type system.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.