Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS lag and image quality comparisons yup, 4k looks great

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:37:24 PM
kbob25 (0)
< Cherub >
I don't have a 4k TV and looking to upgrade. In your opinion, what would be the best 4k TV to use for running the AVS? Since it looks like the quality is the best using 4K, has anyone else used their AVS on 4k TV's? Obviously there is the input lag issue, but using PC mode looks like the best option. Does that come at the cost of video quality? In the research I have done, looks like you cannot yet use HDR 4k TV's and have low input lag time.

Bottom line, what is the best 4K TV for use with the AVS? Thanks!

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:06:34 PM
Gandlin (17)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: kbob25

I don't have a 4k TV and looking to upgrade. In your opinion, what would be the best 4k TV to use for running the AVS? Since it looks like the quality is the best using 4K, has anyone else used their AVS on 4k TV's? Obviously there is the input lag issue, but using PC mode looks like the best option. Does that come at the cost of video quality? In the research I have done, looks like you cannot yet use HDR 4k TV's and have low input lag time.

My suggestion would be to look out for Black Friday deals or wait until 2017 to get one. I think 2017 will be the start of a real increase in 4K TV sales but make sure the TV you're looking at is HDR compatible too. There are a lot of TVs out there which are 4K but don't have HDR and there's a difference. 4K looks amazing no matter what but HDR does give it a little more enhancement and depth.

Ultra HD 4K movies are becoming more popular bundled with original Blu-Ray versions similar to how they did Blu-Ray bundled with DVD years ago. Then you have XB1S which is the first gaming console + 4K movie player, Scorpio & PS4 Pro on the horizon, and 4K streaming becoming more popular.

Just off the top of my head and from experience, some good TV brands to look out for: Sony, Samsung, and LG. Close runner up that usually has good quality with a good price: Vizio. Just pay attention to what kind and number of inputs/outputs, refresh rate, contrast ratio, etc... to fit your needs. I'm sure there are smarter minds than me on here with suggestions for TVs that are specifically good for AVS.

*Edit- Just found this interesting article about a Sharp 8K TV. http://www.pcgamer.com/sharps-pro...

Edited: 10/07/2016 at 08:10 AM by Gandlin

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:36:03 PM
kbob25 (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Mad Martigan

Originally posted by: kbob25

My suggestion would be to look out for Black Friday deals or wait until 2017 to get one. I think 2017 will be the start of a real increase in 4K TV sales but make sure the TV you're looking at is HDR compatible too. There are a lot of TVs out there which are 4K but don't have HDR and there's a difference. 4K looks amazing no matter what but HDR does give it a little more enhancement and depth.

Ultra HD 4K movies are becoming more popular bundled with original Blu-Ray versions similar to how they did Blu-Ray bundled with DVD years ago. Then you have XB1S which is the first gaming console + 4K movie player, Scorpio & PS4 Pro on the horizon, and 4K streaming becoming more popular.

Just off the top of my head and from experience, some good TV brands to look out for: Sony, Samsung, and LG. Close runner up that usually has good quality with a good price: Vizio. Just pay attention to what kind and number of inputs/outputs, refresh rate, contrast ratio, etc... to fit your needs. I'm sure there are smarter minds than me on here with suggestions for TVs that are specifically good for AVS.

*Edit- Just found this interesting article about a Sharp 8K TV. http://www.pcgamer.com/sharps-prototype-27-inch-8k-120hz-igz...

Great info, thanks!

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:41:01 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
I wish manufacturers would simply publish their HDTV latency specs instead of relying on special interest groups like AVSforums (no relation to AVS) or displaylag.com to publish original research data. The lag is much worse on some models than others. Go into a department store and they have the commercial 8-way splitters daisy chained. You literally can see the TVs that lag behind the others, but subjective tests aren't reliable. Sometimes an entire section lags behind another depending on the receivers and other equipment in the chain.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:00:34 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Had you turned off overscan simulation on all of these?

Pretty sure "PC mode" already disables overscan simulation, but most TVs make it a bit more difficult to find/disable the option.

I think some Samsung TVs call it "Just Scan?"

My Sony calls it "Full Pixel."

Looks like some Samsung TVs automatically disable overscan simulation when you label the input "PC/DVI."

I turned "pc mode" on my flatscreen. And I can't feel the lag anymore. Is that what you mean? 

Scored 430k stage 1-1 smb3 (in Pc mode).Before I turned on "pc mode" mudosko method was tough to pull off. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:29:08 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
If you don't want to deal with lag or overscan, get a PC monitor and use that. Do they even make 16x9 1080p PC monitors bigger than 27"?

Most of the stuff on NewEgg bigger than 27 inches is of the ultrawide variety 21x9 or some overpriced nonsense; some of them even have a concave screen, which would distort the picture for anyone sitting more than a few feet away.

Edited: 11/25/2016 at 04:30 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:00:26 PM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

If you don't want to deal with lag or overscan, get a PC monitor and use that. Do they even make 16x9 1080p PC monitors bigger than 27"?

Most of the stuff on NewEgg bigger than 27 inches is of the ultrawide variety 21x9 or some overpriced nonsense; some of them even have a concave screen, which would distort the picture for anyone sitting more than a few feet away.
Believe it or not, Samsung makes a 32" 1080p monitor!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:13:40 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: SnoopKatt

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022...

That looks like a sweet display; too bad it's OOS. Do they sell one in black?
Also it appears it doesn't support audio pass-through.

Edited: 11/26/2016 at 09:17 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:17:46 AM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California

I dunno about black, looks like it's only white for some reason. No audio pass-through is weird though.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:10:42 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

I dunno about black, looks like it's only white for some reason. No audio pass-through is weird though.
So many devices now don't support discrete audio outputs at all, either digital or analog. You have to buy a separate HDMI splitter to bypass the audio to a discrete HiFi stereo system. And the speakers they build into modern flat panels sound like garbage IMO.

Once you've listened to games/music/movies on a HiFi pair of bookshelfs or floorstanding monitors (like Polk), you really can't go back to "tinny" sound ever again. Ironically CRT sets aren't that bad because the speakers had proper enclosure behind them inside the bezel. However flat panels by design cannot have an adequate enclosure behind the cone without increasing the thickness of the panel.

Time to get off my soapbox, LOL...

Edited: 11/27/2016 at 07:13 PM by Kosmic StarDust