NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Official Adpot a Letter Content Thread

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:25:49 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
We need your help!

Since Dain is busy adding code and new features to the site I thought I would try to get the content addition hopefully moving a long a little better. We are looking for members to pick one letter of the alphabet and fill in all the basic info we are missing for it. Some games won't need any, some games will need a lot. The best part about this that anyone can do this, and you DON'T need the game, box or manual to get this info. Anyone is welcome to help out. Here is what we need filled in:

UPC code--found on the back of the box usually, you can look on NA at the back of the back scan to get the number

Extended Play--this simply means does the game use a password, continues, both, nothing, etc (might need an emulator and roms)

Number of Players--how many people can play the game (might need an emulator and roms)

From the Publisher--This is the info that the publisher has written on the back of the box, you can look on NA at the back of the box scan to type this info out.

Back Label Scans--we want scans of all the back labels for games, so we can start checking for variants, but they have to be good labels, and must be straight on the scanner (will need the cart)

Top Label Scans--We just added this feature not to long ago, we want the top label of all the games scanned. Has to be in good shape and must be straight on the scanner. (will need the cart)

Other Info--We are always looking for other interesting tidbits about games, cheat codes, Hi Res label scans, transcribed manuals, maps, posters, if you have it and can scan, we want it

Screenshots--These are not the highest priority cause Stan is heading up this project. They have to be off an emulator, so the quality is good and we don't just want ones from the beginning of the game. Most sites have 2-3 shots, but they are all from the first 10 seconds of the game. We want interesting ones. (will need an emulator)

Variations--We will add variations as we come to them, but we are just mainly looking to fill in the information gaps that we have now.

Adopt a Letter
#'s--Dain
A--Roth (in progress)
B--burnambill333
C--burdger
D--mewithoutyou52
E--Roth (done)
F--
G--
H--
I--Wizard_666
J--
K--Shrimp (info in, needs to be added)
L--Shrimp (in progress)
M--
N--BlueMadcap (in progress)
O--
P--
Q--jimpoleshuk
R--
S--
T--NGD (in progress)
U--NGD (done)
V--NGD (done)
W--NGD (done)
X--NGD (done)
Y--NGD (done)
Z--NGD (done)

I have started at the back of the alphabet and am working backwards adding everyting in. Screenshots are already added for A-D and Stan is working on E currently, but A-E still need the other info added. Most the letters are still open so please post if you are interested in adopting a letter. Even if you can only get the info for one game a week, then just pick a letter with fewer game titles and work at your own pace. I will continually update this thread as letters get adopted and finished up.

I am heading up this campaign, so once you get all the info gathered for a game, you can just send it over to me via a PM, an email, or some kind of word/txt document and I will add the info into the database.

If you want to help but aren't sure exactly were to begin, feel free to send me PM and I will explain in detail what we are looking for, and can also point you in the direction of emulators if you don't have one already. It has taken an enormous amount of work to get were we are, but it will take even more for us to keep growing, if you enjoy the site, please help out if you have some spare time.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Edited: 11/15/2007 at 02:20 PM by NationalGameDepot

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:41:44 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Roth has taken "E" and plans to start work on it soon.
~~NGD

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:53:16 PM
BlueMadcap (6)
(Ben Mason) < Little Mac >
Australia
I'll take 1 if you need. Don't know how I'll go with it but will give it a shot. I'll take N, looks like it's pretty small.

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:19:27 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
BlueMadcap I actually forgot to add the #'s into the list, I have fixed that now, so thank you. I will also go ahead and put you in charge of all the number names, 10 Yard Fight, 8 Eyes, etc. There aren't very many so it should be a pretty easy little set to do. Once those are done you are MORE than welcome to get another letter. We will take all the help we can get and appreciate it very much. Please let me know if you have any questions.
~~NGD

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:42:42 PM
BlueMadcap (6)
Australia
LOL, ok I can do that. I should have written that I would be able to do a letter, the letter N... Anyway, I'll start with the 1's.

Feb 19, 2007 at 10:22:44 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Come on guys, I know someone else wants to help contribute a little. Dain said he is going to work on the #'s, and BlueMadCap is working on the N's.
~~NGD

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:09:00 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Ugh, I have no time man. I've been signed up forever and just haven't had time to sit down and do it. Too much life getting in the way of my hobby

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:28:17 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
No worries man. I know you will get to it when you can. I had trouble getting started myself to be honest. I just tried to do one game a week at first, maybe you should shot for that. Just do one element a day until you finish up the title. I am now up to trying to do a game a day, but I don't kick myself if I miss a day sometimes. We aren't exactly on a deadline per say, so just get what you can. This will probably take most of the year to fill in at least. Especially if only a few people help out.
~~NGD

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:30:29 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Yeah, that's cool. I think the problem I was having was that I focussed on filling in info for games that, well, there's not all that much info available for. I think I'll just get the US releases done to the best of my ability, and move on from there.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:39:39 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
We are only doing the NTSC games right now anyway, I guess I should have made that more clear. Once we get the US section done, then we will move on to PAL on down the road.
~~NGD

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:11:29 AM
kralleman (13)
(Kristofer Hansson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
I could take care of the letter K, I don't have that many NTSC-games though, so I would only be able to fill in the info I can make out from scans and ROMs.

kralleman

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:24:00 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Great! You can get everything but the top and back label scans from the site or roms. I can get the scans easily enough. You are now added to the list shrimp. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!!
~~NGD

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:15:06 AM
kralleman (13)
Sweden
Aight sounds great!

kralleman

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:04:22 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Update:
W is offically done as of right now, I just finished it up.

Shrimp has sent me some info on the K games, so we have a start on them as well.

Roth, our newest admin, has began adding in the E info and will be done with it shortly.

Christy (my g/f) has began to type out Notes From the Publisher as well for some of the games I have been working on.

We are really starting to fill in some info gaps now. Still looking for other members to adopt a letter though. Letters A-D already have the screenshots done for them, so it will be all content if anyone is interested in them.
~~NGD

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:01:41 PM
kralleman (13)
Sweden
Cool I've finished seven games so far, next one is "Kid Klown in Night Mayor World", but I'm done for today. I have some semi-finished games as well. Too bad I don't have much NTSCs or I could've helped with cart-scans and such. Right now it's pretty much UPC codes, ext. play, # of players and, the most time-consuming one, notes from the publisher. I don't think I even should bother to ask my g/f for help here.. =)

kralleman

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:01:18 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
The E's are pretty much done minus a few scans. Roth has those on the way from ebay. E will be done in the coming days. Roth being the gentlemen he is has taken on the A's now. Go Roth!!!
~~NGD

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:59:01 AM
BlueMadcap (6)
Australia
I've only got about 5 done so far. haven't sent you any, I know. I'll be sending about 6 or 7 tomorow afternoon if everything goes to plan.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:13:12 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
No huge hurry man. You can send them all at once, or you can send them a few at a time. Either way is fine by me.
~~NGD

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:56:45 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I wanted to chime in and thank everyone who's been helping out!

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:45:58 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
It's actually kind of fun to do it, especially any needed screenshots

http://slydogstudios.org...

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:19:11 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
BTW, Roth, I wanted you to know that I was/am a HUGE Pantera fan "back in the day" -- saw them several times when I lived in CO.

-Dain

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:22:37 PM
Roth (67)
Illinois
Awesome :) I only got to see them once unfortunately. It was at an Ozzfest, and I think they had someone who never ran sound for them on the board. Everything sounded wrong, guitar way too tinny, you couldn't hear Rex at all. I think Phil was wasted, nothing new there I suppose :P Yeah, they were absolutely awesome... great, now I have to take a break from my vid to listen to them! haha

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:09:24 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
First time I saw them, they (and Soundgarden) opened for Skid Row Now there's a band for ya, lol. Soundgarden at the time was an unknown and they got booed offstage. The bass player threw his beer and guitar (after breaking it in half, against his amp) into the audience, flipped us all off, then left the stage. It was awesome!

The second time I saw them, White Zombie opened for them, and they, in turn, opened for Queensrÿche. The third (and last) time I saw them, they were finally headlining (I forget who opened for them). Every time I've seen Phil Anselmo, he's been like an Energizer Bunny -- jumpin' around like crazy, etc, moshing -- good stuff. I find it hard to believe that a man the size of Vinny Paul can move his hands and legs as fast as he does. Incredible

-Dain

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:57:44 PM
Roth (67)
Illinois
Nice, wish I would've seen some them in their own setting. Oh well, it was still a blast ;)

Now, I _think_ I've got all of the letter 'E' done. If some one could look over those for me, that'd be awesome! Two or more heads are better than one (except when it comes to rotten lettuce I suppose, or shrunken heads maybe).

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:05:09 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Looks good to me. E is offically done now. I have changed the first post to reflect it also. I got a few N games from BlueMadCap as well, so the info is starting to come in, keep up the great work guys. Thanks!
~~NGD