Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reproduction Super Mario World - Return to Dinosaur Land 8mbit Repro Tutorial With XDelta Patch

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:01:06 PM
VirtualAndy (1)
< Little Mac >
Ontario
Originally posted by: SinNombre

You patch the Super Mario rom first. THEN use lunar expand to make it 2MB. THEN use swapbin. THEN you use the first file, of the 2 created when you swapbin, to program to your chip.

Followed your advise, and managed to get it working. Thanks everyone, for some reason that damn Xdelta patch never seemed to work for me 

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:54:03 PM
VirtualAndy (1)
< Little Mac >
Ontario
I've only ever used the larger TSOP 29F032B to make repros so this is great to not have to spend as much for a copy of RTDL. Are there any other games that you can use the same method where you don't need a second eeprom for the extra half of the games padding?

May 19, 2015 at 12:13:35 AM
blg_mike (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks for putting this together. Even I was able to follow along. Does anyone know of any other repros that would work using this guide? I used my copy of Vegas Stakes for RTDL, but I still have a beat up copy of Super Play Action Football that still saves.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:57:31 PM
jlosacco (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
I am having a problem with this. I think I'm unsure how to get this rom to 8mbit instead of 16mbit. I used the snes rom utility to split the file but it just cut my file size in half, it still read a 16mbit file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I keep getting this message when I try to patch the file:
"xdelta3: address too large: XD3_INVALID_INPUT"

Edited: 06/23/2015 at 02:29 PM by jlosacco

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:15:06 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Apply my patch to a clean Super Mario World ROM, it will take care of everything, once patched you just have to program it to an 8mbit EPROM

-------------------------
Just about anything you would want to know about SNES repros
The best SNES PCBs you can buy
Mask ROM Adapter Boards
Fixing stuff on my YouTube channel

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:56:41 AM
jlosacco (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
Ok thanks, I got it all sorted out, it works now. I was just overthinking it. Great patch, thanks again!

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:27:31 PM
mrTentacle (0)

< Cherub >
sry, found the new topic button.
Please delete this post.

I sell on Tindie

Edited: 08/02/2015 at 03:13 PM by mrTentacle

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:54:07 PM
jreyes1985 (0)

< Cherub >
The issue Im having is saving game. Everytime I turn off and load the game doesn't save my status. I check battery voltage and seem to be good reading 3.1V.

I patch the rom using the Return to Dinosaur Land-No-Header.xdelta. The game work fine on system but didn't notice it that didn't save.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:39:04 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Make sure your battery is installed correctly.
Check if your save is there after a reset without powering off the console.
Replace the SRAM in your cart

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:19:12 PM
Rayoshi (0)

(Ray ) < Cherub >
Alabama
Sorry to resurrect and old post but does it matter if the rom your burning has the header? or is best to not have it?

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:46:30 PM
pozzumgee (0)
< Cherub >
The rom you burn onto a chip has to have no header.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:58:21 AM
JnL (0)

< Cherub >
Does this work for other super mario world hacks? E.g. Super Mario Omega?

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:27:08 PM
SinNombre (16)
(Allen ?) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Looks like Super Mario Omega is four times the size of Return to dinosaur land, so no, this wouldn't be the same process.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:48:53 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: JnL

I looked at the following ROM hacks:
Mario & Luigi - Starlight Island Adventure
Kameks Island
Bowser's Return
Omega

All are 32mbit after patching, I cut them down to 16mbit and none of them would load on SNES9x.  Looked at them in a hex editor it looks like some of them you might be able to cut them down to 24mbit but I do not see much point because you would still need a 32mbit ROM to make a repro.

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:41:52 AM
JnL (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: MrPete1985

Originally posted by: JnL

I looked at the following ROM hacks:
Mario & Luigi - Starlight Island Adventure
Kameks Island
Bowser's Return
Omega

All are 32mbit after patching, I cut them down to 16mbit and none of them would load on SNES9x.  Looked at them in a hex editor it looks like some of them you might be able to cut them down to 24mbit but I do not see much point because you would still need a 32mbit ROM to make a repro.

Thanks for the information I think I will go to a mario kart hack, they are 8 mbit big, so 1 eprom is enough (good for my 1st reprocard).

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:22:03 AM
Reerreer (0)

< Cherub >
Other
Can someone help me with the xdelta patch?

edit. I figured something out.

1st. I delete the header of the smw usa rom.

2nd. I patch the file and save it. (SMWRTDL.smc)

3rd. I think that the game is ready for programming? I'm not sure.
I think that i am over carefull.

Second edit.
So now i only need to swap bin?

Edited: 02/01/2016 at 04:49 PM by Reerreer

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:15:06 PM
Taco! (202)
< El Ripper >
United States
I like the guide, but I feel like some things should be clarified a bit more. I'm going to rant for a second, I hope no one minds if I get off subject. As I still get messages about these things I figure I might as well own up and start talking again.

How can I test my rom?
In the case of most patches you will need to either patch a rom with a header or rip the header and patch it, dependent on the author's specification. Try the game first in an emulator like SNES9x or BSNES which is more likely to crash if not hardware compatible. This will save you tons of time rather than programming a chip blindly. Then you should probably go ahead with the header removal and swap bin.

How do I know my donor is good?
Buy a cart dumper and attempt to dump the rom on the cart pre-mask rom removal. Also verify the rom on the cart to see if any address or data lines are broken.

What games will this work for?
This guide will work for almost any simple 1 megabyte or less 'lo-rom' game that uses that size SRAM. You can check the SRAM requirements in an emulator like SNES9x that displays the information at boot or via the menu. You could probably get a title like Firemen to work on this same board, your results may vary.

What about Starfox 2? Same process, needs a SFX donor and a lot of patience but the wiring and all is the same for the most part. Don't break my legs when you try this and realize it's a different chip with much smaller spacing between the solder points.

What about a hi-rom title? Use a hi-rom pcb. What is refered to as 'lo-rom' is marked with a 1A-XX-XX on the board. 'hi-rom' type boards are marked '1J-XX-XX'.

What is a hi-rom title? It's how the game board is wired. It has to do with address lines I believe. It's been a few years since I've played with these so excuse me if I'm lacking a better answer here.

What kind of 27c801 do I need?
If you find a 27c801 with a -1 or other number, it's the speed for access time. It's not really relevant unless you put in a slower eprom. The numbers denote nano seconds usually, so 150 is faster than 250. It's not an issue of 'is the chip too fast'. The problem is if the chip is too slow as it needs to access and serve data at or faster than the original rate. I've never run into a case of an eprom that would ruin the system and dealt with industrial control repair houses who did it all day long without a single problem.

Files of another size:
What if my file is 512kb? Either use a 27c4001 / 27c040 and use the same process OR double the file of your rom in dos prompt using copy /b.

What about 2 megabyte titles? Sadly there's only a handful of sports donors I know of that support 2 32 pin eproms and SRAM. The only hi-rom 2 mask rom titles I know of are very expensive. You may want to consider buying a replacement PCB and use new parts vs tangle with stacking 27c801 and using multiplexers. You could look at using a 27c160 in 8 bit mode for 2 megabyte titles if you absolutely insist on not using TSOP or new boards.

Multi-carts? A switch or counter could be used. If you have (2) 512kb games you could stack them into one binary file then wire up the switch to ground or apply 5V to the last address line (IIRC). At one point I had a SMW:RTDL and Zelda Parallel Worlds multi. Callan brown has an article on an NES mutli-cart that uses a 74hc161 1-16 counter and you can apply that to any set of games with compatible type (lo/hi, sram type and size, etc) but your SRAM will reset after you boot the other game and it thinks the data is corrupt and erases it / overwrites it. You could have to 'stack' 2 sram chips and wire the enable lines to the switch in some way to do it right.

How can I test my SRAM?
You should consider buying a TL866CS or other generalized test kit and eprom programmer. They cover basic 54/74/4000 series ICs along with SRAM. They aren't perfect, you can't tell if the outputs are on the low side but they're good for spotting red flags. You can swap these chips out easily if they're fried, usually run $2-4~ or so at most. Again, like the eproms, you can use one of a thousand chips as long as the pinout, speed, voltage/current draw is good for the application.

Personally I'd suggest buying new boards and using a socket. :: Shameless plug for second-dimension.com ::

My apologies if I've left anything out, written a falsehood or gotten confused. It has been 3 years or so now since I last put an iron to a donor.

FO/FS Thread : http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Looking to buy and sell arcade / JAMMA game boards? PM me!
I also sell eproms, eeproms, sram, 74LS/HC and other various parts for repros. Message me for details. 
Looking for arcade machine buyers in Florida and surrounding states. Have games, will travel. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:49:54 PM
Reerreer (0)

< Cherub >
Other
Which one of these files i will program to the eprom? (I feel stupid right now but i will blame the clock because it's 23:49 pm in Finland.)
The file that ends .bin or the file that ends .smc?

Edit.
I readed Tacos post again and i realized that i need to use .bin file. thx.

Edit.
I first patch the rom. Then i swap bin it whit snes rom utilities. Then i program it to the eprom.
Is this right?

Edited: 02/01/2016 at 05:26 PM by Reerreer

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:35:01 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Johannes

Which one of these files i will program to the eprom? (I feel stupid right now but i will blame the clock because it's 23:49 pm in Finland.)
The file that ends .bin or the file that ends .smc?

Edit.
I readed Tacos post again and i realized that i need to use .bin file. thx.

Edit.
I first patch the rom. Then i swap bin it whit snes rom utilities. Then i program it to the eprom.
Is this right?

No, read the instructions in the first post again

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:57:31 PM
Reerreer (0)

< Cherub >
Other
Okay. I will try to understand.

Edited: 02/02/2016 at 02:21 PM by Reerreer

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:40:16 PM
Reerreer (0)

< Cherub >
Other
Will I install the ROM to the eprom even if the snes rom utilities shows that it is 16Mbit?
Edit.
Now i get it. Thx.

Edited: 02/03/2016 at 08:16 AM by Reerreer

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:20:27 AM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Thanks for the tutorials!

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:22:27 AM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Double post...

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Edited: 02/03/2016 at 01:23 AM by dewisp02

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:43:27 AM
josete2k (7)

(Jose Ruiz) < Eggplant Wizard >
Spain
You don't need two sram chips in a multicart.

Only one bigger and manage the upper address.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:18:02 AM
Phreeze (2)
(Tom ) < Tourian Tourist >
Luxembourg
hi, jsut a question:
i got a NBA live 95, pal. It has 2 maskroms and a 3rd chip.

Do I need to remove the 2nd mask rom, or can i just leave it in place ? So basically, remove the P0 Mask rom, replace with the programmed M27 and leave the rest as is ?