Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone think that mods can be a bit lock-happy?

LOCKED TOPIC

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:22:47 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
In regards to:  http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Yeah I figured it would get locked, after a few pages most likely.  Here, the discussion was stopped before it was even started, even with NP4ever basically admitting to backdooring me.  Stealing profit out of my pocket is just the same as scamming, and shouldn't be tolerated on NA.

It's pretty bad when I get messages from at least 3-4 people saying "Why was that locked?" or questioning what the hell happened.

There is no HOS, there is no scammers thread.  The purpose of outing someone publicly is to protect the community.  I waited until I had proof of his antics and then called him out, only for it to get shut before many people could even chime in.

I get that NA isn't the place for a lot of name-calling or negativity.  But it shouldn't be the place for people who scam on eBay then lurk here, just because "what happens on eBay stays on eBay".  A great portion of this community uses eBay so there's bound to be overlap.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:23:27 PM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States

yes

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:29:17 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
I'm all for bringing the HOS back. It was a very valuable asset on this site. It included exceptions like bad ebay sellers and all sorts of solid information to help members of this site.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:29:23 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Yes, I think the mods have been a little lock happy lately. I understand where they are coming from though, trying to maintain civility and all. I think a lot of topics have been getting locked before anything uncivil happens though. I was surprised to see your thread locked so quickly. I don't think a thread should be locked until it get's out of hand (outright name calling, threats, ect). Your thread may have sparked some really interesting debates on ethics in this hobby, but now we'll never know.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:29:32 PM
I'm_not_a_robot... (1)
(Jon Schirmacher) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Might as well, inB4lock

"Puttin' Crash Man in the trash can, like yesterdays tomatoes."

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:30:12 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Yes, I agree that without the HoS topic being available this thread should have been left open.

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:34:45 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
IN BEFORE THE LOCK!!!!!!! Oh and to answer your question, yes.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:36:20 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I agree about the quick locks, and whole heartedly agree with bringing back the hall of shame. I agree that we should keep a section with ebay related scammers as well. Otherwise someone like Pedro! might still be on the boards.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:36:54 PM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:40:02 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada

I just message Benihana, locking it that quick and stating 'what happens on ebay' was pretty lame.

And BELIEVE the hype, Jonas is 100% correct about this guy. 100%

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:43:52 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: doner24

I agree about the quick locks, and whole heartedly agree with bringing back the hall of shame. I agree that we should keep a section with ebay related scammers as well. Otherwise someone like Pedro! might still be on the boards.

I think a good compromise would be having a HOS just for ebay stuff.  When jonebone's thread was locked one of the reason's given was that "what goes onin the Ebay realm is not always the concern of NA".  I kind of disagree with this statement.  Like or not eBay is a large part of this hobby, even the NA prices guides are based on eBay sales data. 

I don't mean any disrespect to the locking mod, I think Benihana is a great guy, and I understand his reasoning behind wanting to lock the thread to prevent it form getting too ugly.  I just think that thread should have been allowed to run it's course a little bit first to see where it went.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:46:00 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Everyone wants the Hall of Shame back. Here's my take on that:

First if it was brought back, there would need to be 2 separate Hall of Shames. One for Ebay, and one for NA.

Second, who's going to run it? Everyone wants to see it brought back, but noone wants to volunteer their time to run it.

Any volunteers?

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:48:01 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: elhector

I think a good compromise would be having a HOS just for ebay stuff.  When jonebone's thread was locked one of the reason's given was that "what goes onin the Ebay realm is not always the concern of NA".  I kind of disagree with this statement.  Like or not eBay is a large part of this hobby, even the NA prices guides are based on eBay sales data. 

I don't mean any disrespect to the locking mod, I think Benihana is a great guy, and I understand his reasoning behind wanting to lock the thread to prevent it form getting too ugly.  I just think that thread should have been allowed to run it's course a little bit first to see where it went.

That is so amazingly true.  If eBay is not the business of NA, then we should not have any price guides what so ever.  

I understand that we do have collectors here who avoid eBay like the plague.  I get that, and I respect that.  But that's certainly the minority, and the majority of the community would benefit from knowing who to trust based on eBay ethics. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:48:31 PM
GammaRay (129)
(Aaron M) < Meka Chicken >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: elhector

This^

The mods will help you with Ebay transactions involving other NA or SA members.  They helped me!

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:50:56 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
^ Yes they will help you in those situations, but that is different than having a place that someone can reference to possibly avoid needing help in the first place. I don't read every he said she said thread, I did however reference the hall of shame frequently, and avoided the ebay sellers that were listed on it.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:51:22 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: maximus_clean

I just message Benihana, locking it that quick and stating 'what happens on ebay' was pretty lame.

And BELIEVE the hype, Jonas is 100% correct about this guy. 100%

I did the same as soon as I read the other thread.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:53:01 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Paul

Everyone wants the Hall of Shame back. Here's my take on that:

First if it was brought back, there would need to be 2 separate Hall of Shames. One for Ebay, and one for NA.

Second, who's going to run it? Everyone wants to see it brought back, but noone wants to volunteer their time to run it.

Any volunteers?

I'm not sure that I saw the problem of having one universal hall of shame.

I thought that was kind of the point... that nowhere was outside the reach.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:59:28 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I'm not sure that I saw the problem of having one universal hall of shame.

I thought that was kind of the point... that nowhere was outside the reach.

The problem is it gets too large and one person can't keep up with both the Ebay and NA HoS.

Hence why they should be split. It would be much much much easier for one person to maintain the NA HoS and another to maintain the Ebay HoS then one person trying to do both.

Everytime someone has tried to maintain both, they burn out and sometimes they burn out fast.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:04:51 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Well, IMO, the only problem with how the Hall of Shame was handled before, was that it was an open-and-ongoing thread.

It really just needs to be a single page that's stickied. Give it a table, with a column for NA-usernames, a column for known-aliases, and a column for offenses.

Before, it was a pain-in-the-ass to handle because things were matters of debate and discussion. Some of the woulda-coulda-shoulda's went on for pages.

If it's a locked page, then the mods can simply add people as offenses occur.
People never come off the list.

The mod that adds somebody can simply append a post at the end of the thread stating who was just added, and why.

Seems pretty cut-and-dry, to me, since you guys already have to listen to the complaints anyway.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:06:10 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Jonas,

The lock was okay. We didn't want a shit storm between you too, which I know you can understand

We like to be up to par with a post of that caliber BEFORE it gets made. We are all about protecting our members here, both you and the involved party.

I think the facts speak for themselves in this instant and you have made a very valid point that this guy is a complete shithead and yes, people need to know this.

We have been working on a VERY objective HOS and it is near ready - we do not want it to turn into a he-said/she-said thread ever again as it breeds too much negativity and people end up saying mean things (guilty!).

I am sure most everyone here thinks we can be a bit "lock-happy", but it is and never has been our intent to cause anxiety or piss people off. We really are looking out for the good of the community. As much as the guy might be a scammar, this is the first any of us have heard about it. We have to treat everyone as equal until we know the situation and come to a realization of who is right and who is wrong.

I'd be pissed too, trust me, and I'd let everyone know. You didn't do anything wrong, we just need to make it easier for our members to voice frustration.

eBay listings here

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:07:33 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
We have to listen to NA complaints. I personally do not deal with disputes if it's regarding Ebay.

Hence why TWO threads would be best, especially given your scenario where the mods lock and unlock the topic.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:11:05 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Paul

We have to listen to NA complaints. I personally do not deal with disputes if it's regarding Ebay.

Hence why TWO threads would be best, especially given your scenario where the mods lock and unlock the topic.

I guess I fundamentally disagree with your opinion on this.

For it to be the most effective, it needs to be a universal thread, where all known aliases of offenders can be listed.

If it's one page, a person can go there, do a quick in-browser search, and see if anything pops up that should give them pause.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:11:57 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: qixmaster

it is and never has been our intent to cause anxiety or piss people off. We really are looking out for the good of the community.  

Yes you are and I hope my support of this thread does not indicate that I think Beni had any ill will.  You guys do a thankless job.

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:22:33 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: qixmaster

Jonas,

The lock was okay. We didn't want a shit storm between you too, which I know you can understand

We like to be up to par with a post of that caliber BEFORE it gets made. We are all about protecting our members here, both you and the involved party.

I think the facts speak for themselves in this instant and you have made a very valid point that this guy is a complete shithead and yes, people need to know this.

Well I didn't know until the moment before posting that thread.  Yeah I knew he was bad mouthing me to others, but what can I do?  I know mods don't want to hear he-said she-said drama, and I don't want to be a part of it either.  I just let it go at that point and told him off over PM thinking that was the end of it. 

But then he crossed the line and interfered with a deal of mine.  It's one thing to not like someone, it's quite another to try and backdoor them out of their deals.  When I got confirmed proof that he did, enough was enough and I went public.

I think it's better for the public to know what's going on rather than have someone just mysteriously disappear.  That way they can make their own decision on the situation.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:42:00 PM
ClaytonBigsby (26)
(Ryan Whitney) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
Could it not just be 2 list in one page??? But we NEED to know who the bad guys are

the equivalent to 1000 words or it never happened!!!!!