NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NEW Can NA Beat Every GameBoy Color Game in 2016? Current Total: 71/452

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:44:15 PM
Jin (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: GBC Collector 

Nice Jin, I'll get to updating this thread soon I promise, also I love your custom GBC buttons they look nice

No worries on however long it takes you, I'm not in any rush.
It might be a few until my next post anyway, since I'm thinking about doing Resident Evil: Gaiden next. I haven't played through that one in at least a year and it would be fun to do another run through it again. Thanks for the compliment on my GBC too! I picked them up from Kitsch-Bent a few years back and really like them a lot. I ended up going with a pastel purple D-Pad, hot pink A & B buttons, and a dark blue power switch to theme the system's color scheme after the unicorn in my avatar. lol It's a great little system, but I still can't quite decide whether I want to get it front lit with a GBA SP front light or if I want to just keep using the Nyko worm light that I have been using for playing in less-than-optimally lit environments. The front lights do look really practical, but I'm a little concerned that it might give the screen a blue'ish tint. Ah well, I suppose that's a topic for another thread. 

Anyway, thanks for running this thread! It seems like it's going to be a really cool project to help out with over the year.

Edited: 04/05/2016 at 09:44 PM by Jin

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:46:11 PM
GBC Collector (7)
(Alex Lacamu) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: Jin

Nice Jin, I'll get to updating this thread soon I promise, also I love your custom GBC buttons they look nice

No worries on however long it takes you, I'm not in any rush.
It might be a few until my next post anyway, since I'm thinking about doing Resident Evil: Gaiden next. I haven't played through that one in at least a year and it would be fun to do another run through it again. Thanks for the compliment on my GBC too! I picked them up from Kitsch-Bent a few years back and really like them a lot. I ended up going with a pastel purple D-Pad, hot pink A & B buttons, and a dark blue power switch to theme the system's color scheme after the unicorn in my avatar. lol It's a great little system, but I still can't quite decide whether I want to get it front lit with a GBA SP front light or if I want to just keep using the Nyko worm light that I have been using for playing in less-than-optimally lit environments. The front lights do look really practical, but I'm a little concerned that it might give the screen a blue'ish tint. Ah well, I suppose that's a topic for another thread. 

Anyway, thanks for running this thread! It seems like it's going to be a really cool project to help out with over the year.

Is resident evil gaiden any fun? I've been meaning to pick it up, I just hate the prices people want for it

-------------------------
Check me out on Instagram @GBC_Collector

GBC Collector's FO/FT  GBC Collector's WTB

Want spine labels for OEM NES clamshell cases? Click Here!

Can NA beat every GB/GBC game? Come Join In!

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:04:12 PM
Jin (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Minnesota

Is resident evil gaiden any fun? I've been meaning to pick it up, I just hate the prices people want for it

I think it's a lot of fun and a really well made game, but I am a huge fan of the Resident Evil series so I might be a little biased. I do think that the developers did a great job of taking into account the limitations of the Game Boy Color when creating it, to make a game that really felt like an authentic Resident Evil experience while adding in a few design twists to make it work on the GBC.  The one criticism I would make of it though is that it's way too easy to run out of ammo and not have enough firepower to take on the final boss on your first play through when you don't know what's coming. I think I had to play it three times before I was able to conserve enough ammo to take on the final boss, and even then it was still a serious challenge. 

If you're a fan of the Resident Evil franchise then I do think it's worth the steep price of admission, otherwise you might want to give the GBC's other (and arguably better) survival horror title Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare a go instead. 

Edited: 04/05/2016 at 10:05 PM by Jin

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:50:08 AM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas

I think it's a lot of fun and a really well made game, but I am a huge fan of the Resident Evil series so I might be a little biased. I do think that the developers did a great job of taking into account the limitations of the Game Boy Color when creating it, to make a game that really felt like an authentic Resident Evil experience while adding in a few design twists to make it work on the GBC.  The one criticism I would make of it though is that it's way too easy to run out of ammo and not have enough firepower to take on the final boss on your first play through when you don't know what's coming. I think I had to play it three times before I was able to conserve enough ammo to take on the final boss, and even then it was still a serious challenge. 

If you're a fan of the Resident Evil franchise then I do think it's worth the steep price of admission, otherwise you might want to give the GBC's other (and arguably better) survival horror title Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare a go instead. 

Alright cool thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay $40 for it but now people are trying to charge $60 plus and that's just insane, especially with not a high demand for the game

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:12:00 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I said a few weeks ago in the old thread that I was casually working on Bionic Commando: Elite Forces. I picked it up again today and found out my game crashes prior to Level 9. It's happened two or three times in the exact same spot. Soooo I'll be getting a new cart and starting over!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:17:50 AM
Jin (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Minnesota

Alright cool thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay $40 for it but now people are trying to charge $60 plus and that's just insane, especially with not a high demand for the game

$40 is a reasonable price to expect to pay I think. I'm pretty sure $40 was what I paid for my copy with a pristine condition label last year, and from what Price Charting says $40 is still the going rate. I  wouldn't pay $60 for it either and I'm sure if you keep your eyes out you'll find a copy before too long. Right now the one game I'd really like to add to my collection but can't/don't want to pay the asking prices for is the Japanese import Chikyū Kaihō Gun ZAS. Ever since I first played Solar Striker as a kid I've loved vertical scrolling spaceship shooters and I'd like to own (and beat) every vertical scrolling shmup on the Game Boy/Color, but man has ZAS ever gotten ridiculously expensive! 

Edited: 04/06/2016 at 11:22 AM by Jin

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:25:19 AM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
I think I burned myself out on GB and GBC games there for a while, but I plan to start playing again hopefully next week. I'm also going to try something else besides Gargoyles Quest at this point in time, so if someone else wants to beat that one, be my guest.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:53:17 AM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas
Originally posted by: Philosoraptor

I think I burned myself out on GB and GBC games there for a while, but I plan to start playing again hopefully next week. I'm also going to try something else besides Gargoyles Quest at this point in time, so if someone else wants to beat that one, be my guest.

I feel you, I haven't even played a game in so long. As soon as space marauder comes in I plan to beat that 

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:11:55 PM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas
Updated!!! Finally, we are one game away from hitting last years number lets do it!

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:55:23 PM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas
SHMUPS are the best! I just beat Space Marauder on the GBC and it reminded me how much I love the genre

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:58:19 PM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas
Also with space marauders done we have tied last years number anything on top is added glory haha lets get atleast 200 this year

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:38:45 PM
Jin (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Minnesota

SHMUPS are the best! I just beat Space Marauder on the GBC and it reminded me how much I love the genre
Nice job, and congrats on getting a copy of Space Marauder! That's a pretty pricy one if I remember correctly, but I've read lots of good things about it and it's original Game Boy counterpart Burai Fighter Deluxe. I might have to work on hunting down a copy of Burai Fighter Deluxe in the not too distant future if no one else is planning on playing through it.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:42:35 PM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas

Nice job, and congrats on getting a copy of Space Marauder! That's a pretty pricy one if I remember correctly, but I've read lots of good things about it and it's original Game Boy counterpart Burai Fighter Deluxe. I might have to work on hunting down a copy of Burai Fighter Deluxe in the not too distant future if no one else is planning on playing through it.

Thanks, I paid a pretty penny for it, $30, but I think that is actually pretty fair. I doubt anyone is going to start playing that one so I'd say go for it if you want it

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:49:27 PM
Jin (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Minnesota

Thanks, I paid a pretty penny for it, $30, but I think that is actually pretty fair. I doubt anyone is going to start playing that one so I'd say go for it if you want it

Wow, $30 was a really nice price for that one! Everywhere I've looked I saw it going for $40+, so you did darn well even if it was still a hefty chunk of cash for a Game Boy Color game. It might be a couple weeks until I have the wiggle room in my budget to grab a copy of Burai Fighter Deluxe, since I just ordered complete in box copies of Beatmania GB and Dance Dance Revolution GB from Japan today, so if anyone else wants to give it a go in the meantime feel free. For now I've got a rhythm game itch that only some import games can scratch lol Oddly enough, these will be the first Japanese import games in Game Boy / Color collection. I've got a couple European imports already (SWIV and Gauntlet II), but these will be the first additions to my collection to come from Japan. 

Edited: 04/06/2016 at 11:53 PM by Jin

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:31:47 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I didnt realize Metroid 2 hasn't been beat. I figured it was already, but im real close to it. Ill prob beat it later today. I also have Darkman, Capt America, Cool World and Turrican now so i'll prob be taking them on as well. Cool World i might not finish tho. Its different from the NES version but the NES version is BRUTAL.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:09:23 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Beat Metroid 2! Fun game but tricky. Started out not using a map and then decided to use it around the 4th 'level'.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:34:31 PM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Beat Metroid 2! Fun game but tricky. Started out not using a map and then decided to use it around the 4th 'level'.

updated! Good going guitarzombie

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:40:43 PM
Junk_isHxC (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Louisiana

I didnt realize Metroid 2 hasn't been beat. I figured it was already, but im real close to it. Ill prob beat it later today. I also have Darkman, Capt America, Cool World and Turrican now so i'll prob be taking them on as well. Cool World i might not finish tho. Its different from the NES version but the NES version is BRUTAL.

I popped Cool World in and played it for about 2 minutes then promptly stopped lol. Such a weird game!

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:24:53 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Story time!

I mentioned early I had a problem with my copy of Bionic Commando: Elite Forces crashing. I bought another copy of the game and it crashes on me too! I did a little digging after that and found out that the game has a bug where it crashes upon starting the first level after loading from a save, and the problem only shows up when it is played on a GBA. There is a workaround though. Start a new game and suicide until Game Over, then load your game and it will work fine after that. Looks like I will have to do this every time I try playing, but at least I will be completing it at some point soon.

Take On The NES Library!

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:50:12 AM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Story time!

I mentioned early I had a problem with my copy of Bionic Commando: Elite Forces crashing. I bought another copy of the game and it crashes on me too! I did a little digging after that and found out that the game has a bug where it crashes upon starting the first level after loading from a save, and the problem only shows up when it is played on a GBA. There is a workaround though. Start a new game and suicide until Game Over, then load your game and it will work fine after that. Looks like I will have to do this every time I try playing, but at least I will be completing it at some point soon.

Haha that's unfortunate but good to know, so you now have 2 copies of this game?

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:57:32 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Story time!

Haha that's unfortunate but good to know, so you now have 2 copies of this game?

Yep!  My local store has had a copy for awhile.   I ended up buying it and Adventure Island II for $8.

Take On The NES Library!

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:26:47 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: Junk_isHxC

I popped Cool World in and played it for about 2 minutes then promptly stopped lol. Such a weird game!

Oh man its SO much more enjoyable than the NES version.  I wasn't sure what to do at first but I got the hang of it.  Altho 3 lives = game over, same with Darkman... dunno how quickly ill beat these.  Prob Cool World first before Darkman.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:08:34 PM
GBC Collector (7)
Texas

Story time!

Yep!  My local store has had a copy for awhile.   I ended up buying it and Adventure Island II for $8.

thats a steal, bionic command is pretty much worth that alone

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:45:13 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Story time!

thats a steal, bionic command is pretty much worth that alone

Same for Adventure Island II! My local store has really good deals on GB carts whenever they have good selection.

Take On The NES Library!

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:42:35 PM
Jin (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Minnesota
Before I get to Resident Evil: Gaiden I decided to do a couple shorter Game Boy Color games this week. The games I tackled were: 

1942 (Game Boy Color)
I ended up playing three different versions of 1942 this week: The arcade original on my 60-in-1 Centipede multicade, the NES port, and the Game Boy Color port. Of the three the Game Boy Color version is definitely my favorite, since not only does it give you a password save every 4 levels (that can be printed off with the Game Boy Printer no less!) but it also lets you shut off that godforsaken noise that is supposed to be "music". As much as I love the gameplay in 1942, I have to admit that it does have without a doubt the worst music of any video game I have ever heard. The "music" in this game is literally listening to the same 10 second loop that sounds like someone on a heart rate monitor flatlining over and over, and over again. I'm not kidding either, that's exactly what it sounds like! In any case, I ended up playing through this one in little 10 to 15 minute chunks on smoke breaks and making frequent use of the password saves. My final score ended up being pretty low because when I finished the game up I was loading from a save on Stage 8, but I still had a lot of fun playing through it. Especially once I shut the music off! lol 

Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition (Game Boy Color)
I had a bit of a tough time figuring out what exactly constituted "beating" Ms. Pac-Man, since there was no high score board built into the game so I couldn't exactly go by highest score. What I finally decided on was that I would feel like I had beaten the game when I had played it to the point that the levels started looping, which was actually a heck of a lot harder than it sounds. It took me a good 4 hours of trying, but with enough time and effort I was able to get the point that I had beaten every level the game threw at me until the levels started looping; which happens to be on the 8th banana level. Here's a pic of that level and my final high score to go with it.  

Edited: 04/09/2016 at 10:21 PM by Jin