Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sudoku on retrousb.com

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:55:16 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Al Bailey great homebrew is now officially available for sale over at RetroUSB Very cool game, a must for any collector.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:22:53 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

Al Bailey great homebrew is now officially available for sale over at RetroUSB Very cool game, a must for any collector. ~~NGD

I'd say it's more for gamers, no?  It looks great by the way.

Edited: 07/05/2007 at 11:23 PM by Limbofunk

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:31:44 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
For both This version is more for gamers and his first run of 100 is more for collectors I suppose. Great stuff either way!!
~~NGD

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:49:18 AM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
So did they go on sale last night, or just get added to the site?

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:27:40 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
They went on sale for the first time last night, so yes, thats when they were first added to the site.  Brian told me they sold out in 4 hours.

The next batch will probably have the proper label.  As you can see on the label, there's no seal and no reference to retrozone  which there is supposed to be.  

I guess you can consider the first batch of carts to be an error run or a variant.  It wasnt intentional.  

I'm guessing once the production contract expires, Brian will be able to post the number of carts sold for people trying to determine rarity, etc..

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:47:43 AM
KennyB (14)
(No Go ogle result) < Eggplant Wizard >
Belgium
Originally posted by: albailey

They went on sale for the first time last night, so yes, thats when they were first added to the site. Brian told me they sold out in 4 hours.<BR><BR>The next batch will probably have the proper label. As you can see on the label, there's no seal and no reference to retrozone which there is supposed to be. <BR><BR>I guess you can consider the first batch of carts to be an error run or a variant. It wasnt intentional. <BR><BR>I'm guessing once the production contract expires, Brian will be able to post the number of carts sold for people trying to determine rarity, etc..<BR><BR>Al<BR>

And after the contract expires, you won't be making any Sudoku carts any more ?

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:15:14 PM
albailey (55)
Ontario
It can't become a collectable if you can just go and buy a new one. So production will eventually stop.  Hopefully by then I'll have a different game done.

Al

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:46:03 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Originally posted by: albailey

It can't become a collectable if you can just go and buy a new one. So production will eventually stop. Hopefully by then I'll have a different game done.<BR><BR>Al

Is collectability your intention? If I had the necessary talent needed to design my own game, my #1 goal would be getting it in as many hands as possible, with #2 being a recoup of some of the money/effort spent on the project. But that's just me, I guess. If someone is determined to play a particular game on his actual system, he'll certainly find a way, whether that means putting money in the original author's pocket, or someone else's.

BTW, will this newer revision be available at any of the CGE booths, as I'd like a copy myself (though not for collectability's sake; in my experience, items made specifically to be collectible, seldom are).

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:48:45 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I agree with Morbis. Produce as many as you can to get your game into as many hands as possible. If you're looking to make your game a collectable, that's why the first 10 were gold edition and first 100 were numbered.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:34:12 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I thought the retrozone version was different from the first 100 copies... IE the retrozone one is the 2007 version or whatever. Also Al can do both collectible and fan based. Just cause he won't make anymore carts at some point doesn't mean someone couldn't get the ROM or make a cart of thier own. I mean essitially his first 100 are just Al making the carts from donors and numbering them. All these first 100 and retrozone ones are essentially for collector/players. Anyone can get the ROM for free right now, so why do it matter if he wants to limit the offical releases.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:53:39 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Yes the Sudoku 2007 is different from the 10 gold and 100 gray versions. Game includes some music, new levels, correct PAL timing, etc. The ROM isn't available, unlike first Sudoku. It is priced for players but is still a collectable and will eventually be limited edition when production stops sometime in the future

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:35:26 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
Cool, that's what I thought. As for the ROM...What I was saying, is when you stop making carts, that doesn't mean by then someone won't have dumped the cart...or even as likely as that... I would bet Al would make the ROM available. Al could do a yearly update for all we know...2008 version, 2009, and so on. I'm sure there will be more homebrew games too. If the 700 plus original games have shown us anything, it's that a ROM will eventually be dumped. THere's no need to be worried about someone stopping production. The Cart may become collectable, but you will always be able to play the game.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:07:25 PM
albailey (55)
Ontario
FYI,
   I had 7 numbered carts left so I sent out PMs to those people on Nesworld who had expressed an interest in getting a copy.
  If you didnt get a PM on nesworld from me, its because you werent in my list.

If you were supposed to me on my list, send me a PM there in case one of those people dont get back to me.

And that "should" be it for numbered sudoku carts.   I contacted the holographic sticker people and it would've cost another $400 (I forget the amount) to setup and print those 5 I lost, so that aint gonna happen.

My apologies to anyone who's hopes I let down.

Al

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:34:25 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
(still wants a gold one) hehe
~~NGD

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:08:08 PM
skankinmack (69)
(mike mack) < El Ripper >
Ontario
yea, i want a gold one too. Do you remember who got the gold one at the cgcc swap meet al?

shameless plug: check out my ebay stuff

http://www.ebay.com/sch/skankinma...

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:25:18 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Well, apparently one of the guys who bought one at Eurocon 2007 decided to put a silver tin one on eBay...quite sad I think as Hakan did his best to avoid this from happening.

This is the auction.

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:50:24 AM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
CanadianZombie got the gold one and sold it to raregamergirl. P.s. my gold one looks sweet on my shelf! Whenever I bring people into my room to give them a tour of my collection, I'm like "this is Stadium Events" and they usually say "WHOOOAA Sudoku on the Nintendo!!!"

Edited: 11/07/2007 at 12:51 AM by Jumpman Jr.

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:24:16 AM
NESaholic (52)
(Obscurist Maximus) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Speedy_NES

Well, apparently one of the guys who bought one at Eurocon 2007 decided to put a silver tin one on eBay...quite sad I think as Hakan did his best to avoid this from happening.

This is the auction.

That friggin' asshole lied in my face, we're discussing atm how to prevent ppl from joining Erurocon with bad intensions. I contacted him and he came up with the lamest excuse ever. I sold one per person but this fucker told his friend (who had a stand there also) to buy one so he could resell it later. I'm so pissed i want to visit him and bash his face in. I am almost that far.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:44:11 AM
albailey (55)
Ontario
Doesnt look (to me) like he'll get much action on that auction.  That seems kind of steep.   If it does sell, then I can give up on my hopes of ever owning an authentic copy of Garage Cart.

Al

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:31:02 AM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Speedy_NES

This is the auction.

Woooo! My name is in one of the pictures of that auction!

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:22:05 PM
NESaholic (52)
Netherlands
Ok i mailed him about this and he wants to talk to me to sort things out. I told him the only option is to send it back and get refund, the rat.
I also reported the auction to eBay, maybe it would help if few more ppl do the same.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:18:27 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
What's reporting the auction gonna do?

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:19:05 AM
NESaholic (52)
Netherlands
He removed the auction, hehe. He wants me to call him, will do so tonight. Keep y'all informed.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:12:36 AM
albailey (55)
Ontario
On a different note.   Of the 6 people I contacted 2 days ago on nesworld about the last 6 numbered carts, only 1 has gotten back to me so far.

So if any of you guys are friends with:

Mike  (nesplayer.com ??)
Sphinx
GnarlyNES
Petrosky
Justabum

You might want to suggest they check their inbox over there.  I could try and contact them here (like bum) or on other forums, but man I'm lazy.

Edit: 4 people failed to get back to me. So I contacted the next 4 people on the list and they all replied.  So I no longer have any left.  My apologies to anyone who didnt get one.

Edited: 11/13/2007 at 03:35 PM by albailey

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:38:20 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
What are these people wanting to get? Just a regular numbered copy of your game? Or is it a gold or silver tin version?

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin