Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Collecting Questions Wata/VGA Advice, Authentic vs. Reseal Help, etc.

Jun 30 at 6:21:46 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: Brachabre

This one has always interested me. I've been going back and forth on whether to get this one VGA graded..but I guess I'm wanting more of an initial appraisal first. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

The box looks in really good condition due to the the retail blister pack. The blister pack is no long air sealed however due to a crack in the plastic on lower front corner. There was a price tag sticker on the front which the original seller decided to remove though I did get a picture from them before they removed it  .

The game itself *should* be very nice due to being in the blister pack. I see no reason to grade it with the blister pack, though. With the 2 photos, it's impossible to give any kind of appraisal unfortunately. You'd have to very closely look it over for wear, and then decide if you want to remove it from the blister for grading.

-------------------------
I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Jul 24 at 11:37:49 AM
RetroGamesTexas (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Texas
Don't get me wrong, but i did bought a similar item and i send it to graded on VGA and did a silver grade 75...hope yours is in great shape as it shown on pics

“Always Looking for Castlevania games!! Still searching Legacy of Darkness, Legends & Bloodlines Factory Sealed and Rondo of Blood complete in mint condition” 😬

Edited: 07/24/2019 at 11:38 AM by RetroGamesTexas

Aug 02 at 10:20:13 AM
greenshoots (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Has anyone had any problems with 360 reseals on eBay? 8 out of the last 9 "factory sealed" 360 games I have opened have been reseals. These guys seem to buff the discs, replace the case with a new third party one, then counterfeit the authenticity seal on the wrap (didn't even know this was a problem until recently). Inside, the manuals have smudges and tears, the disc art has smudges and dirt, the inner clamp of the disc still shows scuffs where the resurfacing hasn't touched. The last "new" 360 game I opened even had hairs matted on the disc art.

Now that there are no dedicated video game retail stores where I live, I'm done buying "new" 360 games. Looking at my collection, I only really trust the games I bought at retail at the time of release. These "new and sealed" games come in worse condition than VGC used copies, and are sometimes double or triple the price. Nobody ever seems to talk about this though outside the handful of people who are attentive enough to notice and leave the odd negative feedback.

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 10:21 AM by greenshoots

Aug 02 at 11:39:53 AM
JasonLives (2)
(Jason Crosby) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: greenshoots

Has anyone had any problems with 360 reseals on eBay? 8 out of the last 9 "factory sealed" 360 games I have opened have been reseals. These guys seem to buff the discs, replace the case with a new third party one, then counterfeit the authenticity seal on the wrap (didn't even know this was a problem until recently). Inside, the manuals have smudges and tears, the disc art has smudges and dirt, the inner clamp of the disc still shows scuffs where the resurfacing hasn't touched. The last "new" 360 game I opened even had hairs matted on the disc art.

Now that there are no dedicated video game retail stores where I live, I'm done buying "new" 360 games. Looking at my collection, I only really trust the games I bought at retail at the time of release. These "new and sealed" games come in worse condition than VGC used copies, and are sometimes double or triple the price. Nobody ever seems to talk about this though outside the handful of people who are attentive enough to notice and leave the odd negative feedback.
That seems like a lot of work for 360 games, are they expensive games?  You should video you opening them up next and at the very least out the sellers. 

ComicLink & CertifiedLink Auctions - Send me a DM if you are interested in consigning to our next auction, coming up in October.  Taking consignments now. 
http://www.comiclink.com

Now Playing: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4) / Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch)

Aug 02 at 11:55:02 AM
greenshoots (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
That's what really surprised me: no game seems to be off limits. In some cases, these are cheap games being sold for less than £10. I could have had a used copy of Guitar Hero III for a pound, but I paid a slight premium to get a new copy, for example, only for it to turn up with creased/torn manual and disc scratches. I have paid around £30 for some of these games, though, when I could have had a used copy for 1/6th the price. The process of "refurbishing"/counterfeiting must be worth the additional sales that a supposedly new item listing affords.

I am in the process of going through old order emails to compile a list of sellers who are doing this. Some of the accounts are deleted or have been banned (hopefully). You need not take my word on the matter either, as the ones who are still active tend to have a few negative feedbacks from the handful of buyers who have recognised what's going on. Unfortunately those buyers are a drop in the ocean compared to the positives, though.

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 03:24 PM by greenshoots

Aug 02 at 11:59:59 AM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States

That's what really surprised me: no game seems to be off limits. In some cases, these are cheap games being sold for less than £10. I could have had a used copy of Guitar Hero III for a pound, but I paid a slight premium to get a new copy, for example, only for it to turn up with creased/torn manual and disc scratches. I have paid around £30 for some of these games, though, when I could have had a used copy for 1/6th the price. The process of "refurbishing"/counterfeiting must be worth the additional sales that a supposedly new item listing affords.

I am in the process of going through old order emails to compile a list of sellers who are doing this. Some of the accounts are deleted or have been banned (hopefully). You need not take my word on the matter either, as the ones who are still active tend to have a few negative feedbacks from the handful of buyers who have recognised what's going on. Unfortunately those buyers are a drop in the ocean compared to the positives, though.

That seems very odd with 360 games, as I struggle to think of any heavy hitters. Original Xbox I'd understand with Halo, Orta etc. But 360, yikes. 

Aug 02 at 12:20:20 PM
greenshoots (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
This would probably be the subject of a good investigation by someone more competent than me! I've found the fake Microsoft seal tends to break in a "wavy" pattern while the legitimate seals can break cleanly in a straight tear, although this is just from looking at the broken seals on my own games and someone might easily be able to refute that. It would be helpful to know which brand of disc case the games were originally released in, as that's also a giveaway when opening the box up (if the dog hairs, scratches, badly resurfaced and cloudy discs, and missing or torn manuals weren't already enough...). This has been a sad discovery to have made, I liked collecting 360 games because I thought new and mint games were easy to come across. Most collectors don't care right now, probably an issue for the future. At least the shitty Wii reseals often lack the red Nintendo strip.

EDIT: It would actually be perfect if someone with either a solid reputation/following, or who just really knows their shit, could order the very cheapest <£5 360 game from one particular eBay Powerseller who is very clearly selling nothing but reseals and do an inspection of the fake seal. One look at their negative feedback history tells the whole story, eBay has done nothing about it. I would be willing to pay the cost of the game if necessary. I'd order another game and do an unboxing myself, but I have a feeling this seller may now have blocked me from doing so   

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 02:01 PM by greenshoots

Aug 02 at 5:21:32 PM
grondorr (6)

< Little Mac >
GBA collector here. I've been going for a full set of US GBA games in the best condition I can get them (Loose < CIB < Sealed). Recently I have started buying a few VGA Gold graded games, and plan to get more over time. Basically, the end goal, which I never expect to reach, is to get every single GBA game in sealed or sealed and gold-graded condition. I fully expect to get a full set of loose+, or even CIB+ games in the not too far distant future. For the purposes of my collection gold graded is basically a really nice sealed game, and they are very nice to have.

I see most graded games that are available to buy on NA and ebay are VGA graded. I also see that WATA seems to be gaining traction, and people are even sending in VGA games to be regraded as WATA. I'm wondering.

1) Should I hesitate from buying VGA Gold games for my own collection?
2) Should I plan on getting my best sealed games graded by WATA or VGA?
3) Should I plan on getting my VGA games regraded, or is that strictly optional? (Why are people regrading their games if they are already graded by a trusted authority and it seems like just money down the drain?)

I've also noticed that I feel hesitant to buy VGA games that aren't in their heavy plastic bags, or that weren't graded recently. Mostly they are different and I don't know if these are bad things or not.

MY GBA hunting list (WTB: GBA list (mostly not super easy to find.)):
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 08:20 PM by grondorr

Aug 03 at 10:53:39 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Is the sealed game getting bonkers right now, er what? Yeesh...

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Aug 04 at 8:54:04 PM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Is the sealed game getting bonkers right now, er what? Yeesh...

not sure but just had a friend list a stack of my sealed stuff online. Gonnamake that MONEY!

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Aug 04 at 9:01:04 PM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Yes definitely something going on with sealed games, i listed 6 NES sealed games on ebay the other day at what i considered high prices and sold 4 the very same day...

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 2

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

NES licensed : 674/677

Aug 04 at 9:51:30 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: LifeGame

Yes definitely something going on with sealed games, i listed 6 NES sealed games on ebay the other day at what i considered high prices and sold 4 the very same day...

Out of curiosity, could you share your eBay? I'd like to see what sold.

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Aug 09 at 3:18:09 PM
jessem51499 (0)

< Cherub >
guys I picked up this neo geo pocket game a while back. I was curious to see If this is a reseal or not. the store where u picked it up has resealed games before but I cant remember what ngpc games looked like sealed. I will post better pictures this evening.

http://imgur.com/gallery/5DIraGR...

Aug 09 at 5:54:08 PM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: jessem51499

guys I picked up this neo geo pocket game a while back. I was curious to see If this is a reseal or not. the store where u picked it up has resealed games before but I cant remember what ngpc games looked like sealed. I will post better pictures this evening.

http://imgur.com/gallery/5DIraGR

It's resealed, per the used sticker.

Aug 09 at 6:48:37 PM
jessem51499 (0)

< Cherub >
thank you very much, I've purchased other games from them in the past that were sealed. all games are marked new at that store. but the packaging does look like a reseal. I appreciate the look. I'll crack it open and play now!

Aug 11 at 3:06:35 PM
RDI (0)

< Tourian Tourist >

There are an absurd amount of resealed original Xbox and Xbox 360 games available for sale on eBay and other sites online. A lot of the original Xbox reseals are resealed in Xbox 360 cases, sometimes even in the Xbox 360 Eco-Box cases. Depending on the pictures used in the eBay listing it can be impossible to tell if the case is the correct shade of green, plus a lot of sellers use stock photos. The resealers also use Xbox 360 Certificate of Authenticity security seals on original Xbox games. Original Xbox games had CoAs where the MPN is perpendicular to the barcode, not in parallel. So far I've been able to distinguish the original Xbox reseals from the plastic wrap when I have the game in hand. The plastic wrap isn't shrink wrap like what you find on amateur reseals, it is closer to the plastic wrap used in the original production of the game, but it has a different feel to it.

You can look at the listings of ebay user "media-recovery" on eBay. His games are reseals. He goes by the user name John Lane on Mercari. 

The thing is the original Xbox and Xbox 360 games that I have purchased and found to be resealed aren't expensive, which tells me the people I am buying them from aren't the ones doing the resealing. The sellers aren't moving enough product nor expensive product for them to be doing the resealing, it doesn't make financial sense.   

Aug 13 at 6:48:56 PM
greenshoots (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Excellent information, thank you. This seller is a known and prolific resealer. https://bit.ly/2z2mjgh... Can you tell the authenticity symbol has been faked by the listing photo?

Edited: 08/13/2019 at 06:49 PM by greenshoots

Aug 27 at 11:09:15 AM
JasonLives (2)
Pennsylvania
Not sure what to make of this simply because its in a VGA case. I haven't seen such an obvious reseal in a VGA case before.

s://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-... N0AAOSwSxZdXisi

ComicLink & CertifiedLink Auctions - Send me a DM if you are interested in consigning to our next auction, coming up in October.  Taking consignments now. 

Now Playing: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4) / Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch)

Edited: 08/27/2019 at 11:09 AM by JasonLives

Aug 27 at 11:20:08 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: JasonLives

Not sure what to make of this simply because its in a VGA case. I haven't seen such an obvious reseal in a VGA case before.

Funny you mention this one. I saw that auction the other day and thought the same thing. 

Aug 27 at 11:30:10 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

I didnt even read the whole description. Seller even notes it being a reseal. Possibly. To me the box printing color doesnt even look right. Far too red. 

Aug 27 at 11:33:39 AM
JasonLives (2)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

I didnt even read the whole description. Seller even notes it being a reseal. Possibly. To me the box printing color doesnt even look right. Far too red. 

ha me either, I see what you mean.  The SOQ looks to be poor quality too, unless that's just the photograph causing pixelation.  Also, if you look at the back image the top of the case looks a little tampered with, some minor cracking.   Either way I'm not sure why the seller is listing this if they think its a reseal.  

Aug 28 at 3:23:21 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
(Lucio Barbarino) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Hmm, yeah that's a weird one. I don't see the cracking you're talking about though?

Listen to my NES-style chiptune soundtrack Visions of the Three!!
——> apebit.bandcamp.com < —— 

Aug 29 at 11:30:15 AM
JasonLives (2)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: LucioNintendo

Hmm, yeah that's a weird one. I don't see the cracking you're talking about though?

Up to $960 now with over 3 days left.  Clearly people are not noticing his disclaimer.  I'm nitpicking but I see some minor cracking at the very top left and top right of the case from the back view.  That upper left corner in particular looks banged up to me with a horizontal crack on the top part of the acrylic and maybe a little chunk out on the side panel.   Could be an impact or it's possible its just the image angle or some internal perfections in the acrylic.  

Is it possible that VGA would grade this if they think the box hasn't been opened?  Like a retailer reseal.   I saw a WATA game that was graded as a sealed game but the shrink was a reseal.  IIRC they removed the shrink and graded the box as sealed but did not provide a "Seal rating".  Maybe this is something similar, either way not nearly enough information to do more than speculate. 

Aug 29 at 1:33:30 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
No VGA really dropped the ball on that one and its disappointing. I spoke to the seller directly, he's bought from me in the past. He said he was the original submitted and has only been collecting 2 years. He said he sent in about 100 games on that order before he really knew what to do. Since then he's learned it's a reseal and just wants to sell with the disclaimer. He also said the case has not been tampered with since he's the original submitter, so it wasn't one of those crack and swaps that so many people are paranoid about.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 21 at 11:16:46 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
I'm confused on the complete in box option, can somebody help me understand. If, for example, I wanted my Final Fantasy Adventure with the Box, Manual and Game graded, but I'm missing say the Map or if I'm missing the Nintendo Power or a Registration Card, does this factor into the grading, or is it just a mention on the label that this has only the Box, Manual and Cart and is missing the Map or the Reg. Card, if the game has one.