Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Winter Tournament Presents Round 1: Dr. Mario Contest ends Sunday, 1/4/2015 at 11 PM NA time

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:18:59 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Thanks for a starter.benchmark. this is the first time I have ever really spent time on this one so I am still figuring out the switch from massive combos to survival, and have no concept of what a decent score looks like.

Thankfully no one from that contest is competing this year,but I know when this was played last year,the top 10 scores were all above 200k,with the winning score being around 964k.
I believe I scored a little over 300k during that contest so I'm hoping to beat that score this time around

Oh dang,you were in that. Sorry dude. Either way,those were some nice scores!
Yeah man, I thought that score was pretty good but still put me closer to 10th. Gameboyricky and crabmaster killed it that contest!

Looking back at that year, it seemed like so many competitors participated in the weekly contests

Bimmy told me he has some plans for next year to boost participation.
That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to what he does.

-------------------------

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:47:42 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Broke 200k... As far as Tier 1 scoring goes, I think a score of over 350k would be considered excellent. At my pace, that would need to be around level 17 or higher... I messed around a little bit on level 17 and it gets really tough.

Do you mind sharing your typical combo size at level 6+?

i have figured out how to get a perfect score on the first couple of levels, but obviously that isn't sustainable, and I have to drop back to mostly pairs and triples, with the occasional quadruple if I am lucky.

Also, I notice the speed gradually increases... is this like Yoshi where the game re acquires max speed faster each time?  Or does it work on a fixed interval that is always the same?

When possible, I try to go for the doubles or triples but honestly progression is first and foremost to me (we'll see if that strategy comes back to bite me in the ass!)... As far as the speed goes, it does feel like the game starts out faster as the levels get higher but that might just be my imagination. According to the instruction manual on page 10, it states that the speed increases slightly after every 10 capsules.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I was over-obsessed with trying to figure out big combos.

True to form, I ran a scoring analysis to see what different "average" virus combos will do for you.
And if you can beat Level 20 on High, only killing each virus individually you will hit 277k.
If you can do it with doubles you'll hit 415k.

For instance, your 231k at Level 16 (assuming you didn't clear much on 16) was just under par for averaging double-kills (would be exactly 244,800 at the end of Level 15).

Anyway, I think this recalibrates my plans from combo-extremism to progression (with the exception that I always want the couple thousand extra for a perfect level 0, and I have come REALLY close to a perfect Level 1)

A perfect Level 0 combined with a perfect Level 1 puts me a full 35k ahead of the doubles-pace, if I can switch to doubles/survival mode and just make progress.  (instead, most of my early games involved dying trying to get triples and quadruples in the Level 8-range, like a dummy)

This game really is quite a bit less forgiving than Tetris... or at least, for the inexperienced player, when to simply survive is not quite as obvious.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:48:59 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Holy shit! I almost can't believe how high those scores where in that contest. Am I playing the same game?

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:10:16 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Holy shit! I almost can't believe how high those scores where in that contest. Am I playing the same game?

GameBoyRicky is an absolute beast at puzzle games.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:09:23 AM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Tier 3:  153,300

This score is the very best I can do on the "slow" setting for Tier 3.
Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 01/04/2015 at 04:49 AM by Commander Santa

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:01:44 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
This is awesome, because I've totally got a copy of Dr. Mario coming my way in the mail right now! I'll be looking to squeeze in a few attempts before Sunday

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:56:55 AM
Velinos (11)

(Noah ) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
Tier 3: 73,200
I am not the greatest at this game and I am not sure if I'll have time to get in another score before the deadline.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:46:22 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Thundercat08

I am in the wrong tier for this game, slow speed makes me want to chuck my controller. Should get a nice score though.

I feel you on this. I used to always play on medium as a kid. It's almost like the low speed is so slow that it gives you too much time to overthink your move which frequently caused me to mess up.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 12/30/2014 at 10:49 AM by bearcat-doug

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:52:05 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
I love this game. Had a blast last time we played it. I'm gonna post a score just for fun as well, good luck everyone.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:11:05 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Krunch

I love this game. Had a blast last time we played it. I'm gonna post a score just for fun as well, good luck everyone.

Holy crap a Krunch sighting!

Edited: 12/31/2014 at 01:31 PM by gutsman004

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:26:01 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
would've love to seen what Krunch posts...some very good puzzle gamers in here.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:29:46 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
*Updated my original score*

As a side note...

I am thouroghly embarrassed as the scores posted have already dwarfed mine considerably
(GREAT score BriGuy82 by the way). Not to mention, you guys are playing at much faster speeds.

I've heard the legends about how good GameboyRicky, crabmaster, Krunch and Bella are at this game too. It's mind boggling.

When I was younger, I was considered best among my group of friends by a country mile at Dr. Mario.
If any if you guys showed up, we would have thought you were Jesus Christ of Nintendo.

Very humbling, and best of luck to everyone.
Each and every week I'm convinced more and more that some of the best NES players in the world are on this site.

bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 12/31/2014 at 09:34 PM by Commander Santa

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:38:18 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
I have been known to play this game once and a while.
Hell, Bella and I used to play vs. on the Wii....That was A LOT OF FUN

This is my score from LAST YEARS compitition....
NOT A VALID SCORE FOR THIS TOURNY....

Good luck to all who play!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Edited: 12/31/2014 at 09:42 PM by Benihana

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:45:54 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
Originally posted by: Benihana

What kind if pills does Dr. Mario throw at everyone else in their game?... Adderall?

I've been playing this to the very best of my ability for the last 3 nights for hours on end - and even on the slowest setting I can't even come close to these scores.
What secrets does everyone else know that I don't?

If nobody wants to share until the first round is over, I understand, but I don't know what else I can do aside for survive longer.
Hitting it hard again tonight. Kids are already in bed.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:49:59 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

What kind if pills does Dr. Mario throw at everyone else in their game?... Adderall?

I've been playing this to the very best of my ability for the last 3 nights for hours on end - and even on the slowest setting I can't even come close to these scores.

If nobody wants to share until the first round is over, I understand, but I don't know what else I can do aside for survive longer.

Combos my good man,combos. Doubles,triples,and quadruples. If you just take out single viruses at a time,your score won't be very high even though you may be at a high level.

Edited: 12/31/2014 at 09:51 PM by gutsman004

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:51:15 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

*Updated my original score*

As a side note...

I am thouroghly embarrassed as the scores posted have already dwarfed mine considerably
(GREAT score BriGuy82 by the way). Not to mention, you guys are playing at much faster speeds.

I've heard the legends about how good GameboyRicky, crabmaster, Krunch and Bella are at this game too. It's mind boggling.

When I was younger, I was considered best among my group of friends by a country mile at Dr. Mario.
If any if you guys showed up, we would have thought you were Jesus Christ of Nintendo.

Very humbling, and best of luck to everyone.
Each and every week I'm convinced more and more that some of the best NES players in the world are on this site.

Thanks Santa, and believe me I feel pretty damn humbled by those other guys scores as well. To be honest, I had no clue that those kind of scores were even possible. 

On a side note, I just broke 300k and I don't think I'll be breaking 400K. I'm more of a progression guy when it comes to puzzle games. I just don't have the patience to try and maximize points in the early levels...

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:54:32 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

At Hi speed any scoring actions are worth triple the Lo speed and half-again what you get at medium.

At Hi speed, if you play a "perfect" Level 0 and Level 1 you already have over 40k pts.
(an individual virus is worth 300 pts each at Hi, but it doubles for every virus, so 2nd is 600, 3rd is 1200, 4th is 2400, 5th is 4800, 6th is 9600 which is the max pts per virus... obviously snagging a few of those wiill dwarf individual kills at Lo which are only worth 100 pts each)

BriGuy's score is impressive as hell, just for surviving to Level 19 at Hi speed, but based on my scoring analysis he basically averaged "doubles" (maybe talking 2.1 or 2.2 virus kills per scoring action -- definitely nowhere close to averaging "tirples").

The point is, just surviving is worth a TON at Hi speed, and you end up with a lot of scenarios where you get quads and triples as "gimme" moves in the later levels and they really do add up fast (tight clumps of like-colored viruses).

An interesting aside, but I didn't realize that the virus patterns in this game were so limited.

Growing up, I only played it a few times, so thought it was random, but there are really only a couple of possibilities per level, and once your familiar with them, it gets a lot easier to plan out the larger combos.
(assuming that hellish RNG plays nice...which is definitely asking for a lot)

Edited: 12/31/2014 at 09:56 PM by arch_8ngel

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:55:48 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York

Combos my good man,combos. Doubles,triples,and quadruples. If you just take out single viruses at a time,your score won't be very high even though you may be at a high level.

Thanks Guts, I'll focus on that tonight.
I do try to hit combos when possible, but I start weighing "Time spent waiting for exact piece needed" vs. "finish the damn level" at the end.
The answer here I guess is Every. Single. Point. Matters.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:58:29 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Thanks Guts, I'll focus on that tonight.
I do try to hit combos when possible, but I start weighing "Time spent waiting for exact piece needed" vs. "finish the damn level" at the end.
The answer here I guess is Every. Single. Point. Matters.

The first few levels have a lot of "extra" space to work with, and you can literally set up clear sequences that clear 100% of the board on one shot.

After level 2 it is probably impossible to do it, but you can still get big combos.

At Lo speed you need to take advantage of the extra planning time versus what we get at Hi speed.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:59:13 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York

At Hi speed any scoring actions are worth triple the Lo speed and half-again what you get at medium.

At Hi speed, if you play a "perfect" Level 0 and Level 1 you already have over 40k pts.
(an individual virus is worth 300 pts each at Hi, but it doubles for every virus, so 2nd is 600, 3rd is 1200, 4th is 2400, 5th is 4800, 6th is 9600 which is the max pts per virus... obviously snagging a few of those wiill dwarf individual kills at Lo which are only worth 100 pts each)

BriGuy's score is impressive as hell, just for surviving to Level 19 at Hi speed, but based on my scoring analysis he basically averaged "doubles" (maybe talking 2.1 or 2.2 virus kills per scoring action -- definitely nowhere close to averaging "tirples").

The point is, just surviving is worth a TON at Hi speed, and you end up with a lot of scenarios where you get quads and triples as "gimme" moves in the later levels and they really do add up fast (tight clumps of like-colored viruses).

An interesting aside, but I didn't realize that the virus patterns in this game were so limited.

Growing up, I only played it a few times, so thought it was random, but there are really only a couple of possibilities per level, and once your familiar with them, it gets a lot easier to plan out the larger combos.
(assuming that hellish RNG plays nice...which is definitely asking for a lot)

Aaaaah, I feel a little bit better then.
Didn't realize the scoring systems were different.
Thought we were all awarded the same points on each speed.
Thanks for that bit of encouragement Nathan.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:00:56 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
What I also try to do in terms of surviving when I don't get pill colors I need,is make a plan of where you will put those pills and throw those in the same spot and eventually you'll take them out and will get the color combo you'll need. Every pill has its' place,even if it's not in the optimal place.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:47:33 AM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Boy I tell you, as much as I love this game, that RNG is really annoying. Nothing like getting 7 of the same pill in a row at level 16 & beyond on high speed. Even better when it switches it up and then you get another 5-7 of a different color pill in a row.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:38:33 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Players have nailed it.
Combos are the key. And don't waste any half of a pill. Every pill should be placed so that both halves are utilized to their maximum. Playing a lot of head to head over the years really teaches you techniques that help you get high scores in single player mode.
No wasted pills, no wasted time waiting for halves to fall to a useless resting place...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:08:57 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
BriGuy - sick score. Amazingly, 320k is less than averaging doubles, since averaging doubles gives you over 340k by the end of Level 18.

This just goes to show how powerful straight-forward survival is.

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:50:09 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
What do you all mean when you say a "perfect" level???