Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How's everybody like the AVS?

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:52:51 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Might also turn Cinemotion off and game mode on.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:07:32 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Tulpa

That model number decodes to a 1080p TV.

Though that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL40V4100.pdf

Okay, page 33 of the manual. Turn Motion Enhancer to "off." See if that helps.

Not an available option for my tv. "Available only on KDL-W series"...

I also tried turning the noise reduction options on and off and that didn't seem to improve it either. Hmmm...?

-------------------------
Completed - 676/677 US NES NTSC

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:05:21 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Cinemotion or game mode?

You have some sort of smoothing going on. Need to find the setting and shut it off.

Edited: 11/22/2016 at 01:06 AM by Tulpa

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:06:35 AM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

Cinemotion or game mode?

You have some sort of smoothing going on. Need to find the setting and shut it off.

Nope. I'm guessing my TV may not be compatible. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:47:48 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Not compatible? I find that very unlikely.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:50:22 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Crazy4NES

Cinemotion or game mode?

Page 33 shows all kinds of picture options for your TV. It says you have game mode. It also says game mode is not available when theater mode is on, make sure that is off.  I would turn off all the other extra junk too.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:08:59 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Mog

Cinemotion or game mode?

Page 33 shows all kinds of picture options for your TV. It says you have game mode. It also says game mode is not available when theater mode is on, make sure that is off.  I would turn off all the other extra junk too.

Did all the above....Still didn't improve the picture quality. I even changed out the HDMI cable...still nothing. Could it be the AVS? 

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:10:05 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Did all the above....Still didn't improve the picture quality. I even changed out the HDMI cable...still nothing. Could it be the AVS? 

Doubtful. Something is wonky with your TV settings, or the TV's imaging has gone to pot. But it's not an incompatibility.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:22:21 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

Doubtful. Something is wonky with your TV settings, or the TV's imaging has gone to pot. But it's not an incompatibility.

I'll keep messing with it. I'm gonna try it out on another tv this evening. Thanks for all the help. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:24:08 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
No problem.

Trust me, it's something in your TV. If my ancient rear projection HDTV from when dinosaurs still roamed the earth can play nice with the AVS, then just about any fixed pixel HDMI TV should work.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:47:05 PM
jacobsod (0)
< Cherub >
Got mine last Friday - LOVE IT. Definitely the best retro-gaming type purchase I've made. Far, far better than RetroPie / Lakka - NO contest!! The picture is REALLY sharp, accurate, and I have no noticeable controller lag. I love it has GG built in support.

Only gripe I've had is having to install new batteries in the carts that support saving. I hadn't put in new batteries in my carts in almost 10 years.   But that's not a gripe about AVS - IMO Nintendo should of had a battery type slit in those carts for easy replacements.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:03:03 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Really want to get an AVS, but I've heard about a couple of USB ports breaking off and that has scared me away. I know there are "reinforced" ones now, but I also know that a permanent fix is coming soon, so I'll wait for that. Probably be a long time before I get my hands on one, but if that's what it means to get one with a USB port that my OCD wouldn't go absolutely ape-shit over, that's what I'll do.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:06:03 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Quazonk

Really want to get an AVS, but I've heard about a couple of USB ports breaking off and that has scared me away. I know there are "reinforced" ones now, but I also know that a permanent fix is coming soon, so I'll wait for that.
The "reinforced" ones sold now are a permanent fix. They're bolted to the circuit board. Honestly probably more secure than a through-board USB mount. It ain't going to break off.

The early ordered ones (like mine) are the ones that may need the 3D printed brace.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:19:11 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia

Originally posted by: Quazonk

Really want to get an AVS, but I've heard about a couple of USB ports breaking off and that has scared me away. I know there are "reinforced" ones now, but I also know that a permanent fix is coming soon, so I'll wait for that.
The "reinforced" ones sold now are a permanent fix. They're bolted to the circuit board. Honestly probably more secure than a through-board USB mount. It ain't going to break off.

The early ordered ones (like mine) are the ones that may need the 3D printed brace.

*Sigh* trust me man I know the reinforced fix is a true fix, but unfortunately my OCD does not agree, nor care for our logic or reasoning. It's a part of my brain I have zero control over, and that part has firmly told me that the reinforced fix is not enough (even though it really 100% is enough).

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:25:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Fair enough. Just didn't want you to lose out on that AVS goodness.  

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:07:37 AM
homerhomer (0)

(Michael Homer) < Cherub >
Oregon
I think the AVS is great. I plugged it into my computer monitor, connected to a cheap $13 HDMI switch cable off Amazon.

I'm somewhat concerned about my USB power cable. I hope it doesn't break here in 2-3 years.

Does anybody know if they're are the going to send out new pin connectors? I've noticed a few of my games have the green stripe and don't play. Which I can get working with a real game genie, LOL.

Edited: 12/03/2016 at 03:08 AM by homerhomer

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:35:55 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: homerhomer
Does anybody know if they're are the going to send out new pin connectors? I've noticed a few of my games have the green stripe and don't play. Which I can get working with a real game genie, LOL.

No definite date.

Try inserting green strip games left side first.

Also, unless you were the first few weeks of ordering, your USB port is probably already reinforced.

Edited: 12/03/2016 at 03:37 AM by Tulpa

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:14:45 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
You're not even going to notice the difference. If you want an AVS now just get it. Before they run out of NES Power and Reset. Then you'll get OCD for the buttons not being the original ones. Also you guys are giving this OCD thing too much power. I know because I was the same way. It won't matter what condition your AVS is when you die so just enjoy it now. Find some other things to justify the reinforced USB ports. That's what I do with money.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:59:46 PM
Jono1874 (22)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
Just got mine yesterday. It's incredible. Inserting carts is tough, but it should loosen up shortly. How does this thing react to carts with thicker boards like the game genie or certain unlicensed games?

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jono...

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:16:00 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Jono1874

Just got mine yesterday. It's incredible. Inserting carts is tough, but it should loosen up shortly. How does this thing react to carts with thicker boards like the game genie or certain unlicensed games?
I've noticed the slot is a little wider than it needs to be also.  It doesn't really do a good job of guiding the cart in like the original NES did.  Maybe bunny boy can fix this in a later revision.

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:35:19 PM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
Just arrived yesterday. I didn't even know about the AVS until I saw someone mention it as I was looking for a Nintendo Classic. I was pretty much sold within a day of nonstop viewing of AVS review videos on YouTube. I had always wanted to play my old NES games on my current TV but virtual consoles were disappointing and stuff like the Framemeister seemed too confusing and I didn't want to buy a CRT. Basically the AVS was something I had no idea I needed in my life until I learned about it..lol

So far it's been very user friendly. I'd like to know what settings I'm supposed to be running this on? I know there's personal preference, but in general, what are the commonly accepted best settings for my AVS and TV? I have my tv set to 4:3 and 3 ticks on the pixel aspect. Vertical border is the default. Some light scan lines make Rush N' Attack look pretty nice.

I really like the scoreboard feature. It breathes life into a bunch of old games and there's such a variety available. If there's anyway to put Tecmo Super Bowl on there, I'd be all for it. Most points in a game. I see a number of people comment about the cart slot being difficult to use but I thought it was fine. I'm really excited for my Everdrive to arrive next week. Also looking for Tecmo Super Bowl 2017-Official release.

But in short, yeah, the AVS is awesome and I'm really enjoying it.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:03:51 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Dr.Graffin

I really like the scoreboard feature. It breathes life into a bunch of old games and there's such a variety available. If there's anyway to put Tecmo Super Bowl on there, I'd be all for it. Most points in a game.

Sadly I couldn't get Tecmo Super Bowl working yet, but I got regular Tecmo Bowl working. Have fun!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:15:03 AM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I really like the scoreboard feature. It breathes life into a bunch of old games and there's such a variety available. If there's anyway to put Tecmo Super Bowl on there, I'd be all for it. Most points in a game.

Sadly I couldn't get Tecmo Super Bowl working yet, but I got regular Tecmo Bowl working. Have fun!

Tecmo Bowl is a scoreboard compatible game?  I didn't see it on the list, but if it is that's awesome and thank you for adding it.   

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:27:11 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Tecmo Bowl is a scoreboard compatible game?  I didn't see it on the list, but if it is that's awesome and thank you for adding it.   

It is now.  

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:31:58 AM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >

It is now.  

Damn!!!  That's awesome news.  My Everdrive gets here on Monday.  Just in time for me to go back to work..lol