Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew The Currently Available Homebrew Thread For When You Need Your Homebrew Today!

Apr 04 at 12:06:45 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Yeah, more or less. Even with extensive asm modifications, it is still just a modification or hack of someone else's code. I'm interested in the process as much, or even more than, the end result, and homebrew games are a multi-layered journey. NESMaker games, while still games of course, are something else entirely. Plus they will be endless and comparatively easy to churn out, and that flood puts me off of them as a whole. I have nothing against them, they're just not something that interests me at a programming, collecting, or even gaming level. That last category may change in time, but I've never played a hack before so it is not likely (other than translations). To each their own of course.

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Apr 04 at 5:40:34 PM
Indo (4)
(Chris ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

I've never played a hack before

Most romhacks are not for me, but there are plenty that are worth checking out. The ones that are a complete hack. New levels, new graphics, etc. I don't believe you are a fan of platformers, but Super Mario Mix is worth checking out. Takes power ups from all Mario games including game boy and with all original levels. Even has Yoshi.

Deadeye.bit        Twitter       Instagram

Apr 04 at 5:44:55 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Yeah, Hanley swears by that Legend of Link one, but man, there's only so much time, you know? My game playing has taken a harsh dive this past year or so, writing and programming are a little too all consuming sometimes  . Getting my library out of storage has not helped either. I have great respect for hackers, particularly since every time I try to hack something myself I realize how arcane of an art it is. Writing from scratch seems way easier!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Apr 04 at 9:28:35 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Originally posted by: acomicbookguyc

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I want to start a poll on which Kickstarter is more likely to arrive first: the physical copy of the 8-bit Heroes Documentary or the CIB Lizard.

Looks like Lizard won that by a longshot lol. 

Also, can you get in contact with Joe. He's lagging it on these blu-ray DVDs that were "shipped" last year in December. Tons of people have yet to receive it and he swears they went out. Also, he isn't replying on Kickstarter so not sure whats up with the dude.

it took me months to get my Blu Ray from them. Joe told me personally that he shipped it several times and it never showed. I nagged him about once or twice a month until they shipped another run and it ahowed up. If you just keep bumping him, he will eventually come through. Seems like a great guy, but he's spread way too thin.

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Apr 04 at 9:29:50 PM
Fleck586 (155)
Missouri
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Yeah, Hanley swears by that Legend of Link one, but man, there's only so much time, you know? My game playing has taken a harsh dive this past year or so, writing and programming are a little too all consuming sometimes  . Getting my library out of storage has not helped either. I have great respect for hackers, particularly since every time I try to hack something myself I realize how arcane of an art it is. Writing from scratch seems way easier!

Legend of Link is phenomenal

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Apr 04 at 10:37:48 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Legend of Link is so good. Man, I'm gonna have to play it again soon!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Apr 04 at 10:50:35 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
No demo, not interested.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Apr 05 at 8:44:55 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
I didn't know what to make of NESmaker, but I thoroughly enjoyed Office Hero. I believe that a good idea is a good idea and fun is fun. As long as people push it, I think some interesting will come because of it.

May have to add a section to the Aftermarket panel...

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Apr 05 at 9:02:56 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Got an email for a GB kickstarter this morning. Looks like it's from Germany with some Japanese text?

https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Apr 05 at 10:22:05 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

I didn't know what to make of NESmaker, but I thoroughly enjoyed Office Hero. I believe that a good idea is a good idea and fun is fun. As long as people push it, I think some interesting will come because of it.

Yeah, a fun game is a fun game, but my interest is in homebrews so that is what this list covers. Homebrews, hacks, repros, translations, products of other people's game creation tools (NESMaker games in this case)... they all have their place but they are all different in process and content.

Thanks for the link for that GB game! List update coming soon.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Apr 05 at 3:31:51 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Fleck586

Originally posted by: acomicbookguyc

I want to start a poll on which Kickstarter is more likely to arrive first: the physical copy of the 8-bit Heroes Documentary or the CIB Lizard.

Looks like Lizard won that by a longshot lol. 

Also, can you get in contact with Joe. He's lagging it on these blu-ray DVDs that were "shipped" last year in December. Tons of people have yet to receive it and he swears they went out. Also, he isn't replying on Kickstarter so not sure whats up with the dude.

it took me months to get my Blu Ray from them. Joe told me personally that he shipped it several times and it never showed. I nagged him about once or twice a month until they shipped another run and it ahowed up. If you just keep bumping him, he will eventually come through. Seems like a great guy, but he's spread way too thin.
I finally got my Blu-ray after months of nagging him. Who knows when the game will be released though  

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Apr 05 at 3:33:10 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

I'll keep posting anything I find here or if you want to move lowly aftermarket iam8bit ($100 mega mans!), Piko Interactive (boo hiss!), and NESMaker stuff (are they really even games?) to your thread that's cool too. Beau doesn't have to put it in the first post, but he's not my dad! I like any new things I can play on my NES.

Brand new homebrew is the holy grail, because it has the chance to be interesting from a development, design, and gameplay perspective, while hacks/NESMaker can never be as impressive as creating something from nothing but pure willpower.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Apr 05 at 4:21:55 PM
TylerBarnes (0)
(Tyler Barnes) < Little Mac >
Texas
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

while hacks/NESMaker can never be as impressive as creating something from nothing but pure willpower.

I agree. It is incredibly satisfying seeing something work that you've created in ASM, knowing full well that every instruction the CPU is following is 100% what you've told it to do, and not some pre-coded stuff another coder has designed. Saying "I made this" to someone means that much more when you have actually coded every line. 

That being said I am glad those tools are out there for those that wish to create without the technical ability to do that kind of heavy lifting in assembly. 

Apr 30 at 8:50:56 PM
DefaultGen (28)
United States
Basse Def Adventures is up for preorder Thursday. Where, I don't know but I will use my high school French skills to figure it out on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/omakebooks/st...

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Apr 30 at 10:36:31 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
(Sean ) < Eggplant Wizard >
District of Columbia
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Basse Def Adventures is up for preorder Thursday. Where, I don't know but I will use my high school French skills to figure it out on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/omakebooks/status/1122851240377974784

Here’s the page for the game: https://omakebooks.com/en/omake-games/355-omake-games-n01.html

Oddly enough the purchase link was active earlier and supposedly allowed you to buy the game.

May 05 at 11:59:11 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington

Legend of Link is so good. Man, I'm gonna have to play it again soon!
Is this actually playable on real hardware?  Won't work on the PowerPak (not even with Loopy's mapper) or the Everdrive.

May 06 at 4:42:38 AM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Yes, the dev has tested it on hw, but being MMC5 it requires you to destroy a rare existing game.

May 06 at 6:57:25 AM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
Originally posted by: erac

Yes, the dev has tested it on hw, but being MMC5 it requires you to destroy a rare existing game.
So for all practical purposes it isn't really playable on real hardware then.  A pity.

May 06 at 1:44:16 PM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
I believe I saw InfinteNESlives post that they are going to release a MMC5 programmable board.  

May 06 at 6:58:51 PM
WaverBoy (1)

Washington
Originally posted by: Indo

I believe I saw InfinteNESlives post that they are going to release a MMC5 programmable board.  
If so, I hope that someone will put out a cartridge version for sale.  I don't want to play it on my laptop.  I only emulate on my PSP, but I haven't tried this hack on NesterJ yet.  I'm guessing it won't work...?

May 07 at 5:39:34 AM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
There are carts of it for sale at a couple places, just made from harvested MMC5s. INL's repro chip doesn't have an ETA AFAIK.

May 07 at 9:02:46 AM
Fleck586 (155)
Missouri
Originally posted by: WaverBoy

Originally posted by: erac

So for all practical purposes it isn't really playable on real hardware then.  A pity.

If you buy a cartridge of it, it absolutely is.  I played mine on my toaster.  Fantastic game and worth the scratch for sure.

May 07 at 10:01:31 PM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
For those who have a nt mini, just tested Legend of Link, it will work off the SD card.

May 07 at 10:40:59 PM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Indo

For those who have a nt mini, just tested Legend of Link, it will work off the SD card.

Doesn't record the save file though, that's a bummer.

Edited: 05/07/2019 at 10:41 PM by Indo

May 15 at 3:06:08 PM
DefaultGen (28)
United States
Some game called Netscape:

Soko Banana:

Edit: Soko Banana is NES maker