Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Closed SNES Contest: January - Super Mario World + A Link to the Past Winners - Gloves & Gloves

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:17:37 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Krunch

You guys are good. I tried playing SMW with point pressing and wasnt enjoying it. The game is just too large and I'm not good at SNES in general. I'd like to squeeze in a participation run where I just play the game legit/normally/whatever you wanna call it

Thus far I'm the only one who's posted a run with the whole game beaten; honestly if you just play for progress and go through as many levels as you can focusing on not getting killed at all, odds are you'd land pretty high on the leaderboard.

-------------------------

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:03:32 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
lol after the call out by bert I now feel obligated to get the only score I pictured last friday. Ill post the score now I got and died stupidly at soda lake. No point pressing at all. Just playing the game straight maximizing points as they came. I havent picked up the game since I talked in this thread about the issue but will again before its done.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/29/2018 at 04:15 PM by quest4nes

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:11:35 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Richardhead

I’ve got two words for ya Murray!

Lol that level can get outta town! I just use the cape at the beginning to fly over the entire thing.  

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:21:38 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Murray

Originally posted by: Richardhead

I’ve got two words for ya Murray!

Lol that level can get outta town! I just use the cape at the beginning to fly over the entire thing.  

Dammit! I didn’t realize you had an updated score!

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:24:44 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Gloves

I'd argue that point farming is not lame, and actually more difficult than just running through every level as you've done. It takes a higher level of accuracy by far, especially with the 1 life only rule. Also there's nothing at all that says it's not allowed by any stretch, the only rule being that you can only use each exit once, which makes sense, cuz otherwise I'd have submitted a 999,999,999 score by playing the same level over and over again, then beating the game. It gives us a chance to farm points per level and get a really high score, without the ability to take advantage of any one level in particular in order to avoid the harder levels.

The way you played sounds lame to me - zero thought or strategy put into it. Different strokes, bud!  

Oh its lame. Its boring as hell. Resetting enemies and exploiting a game the same thing over and over and over before progressing is stupid imo. Its the same thing about breaking a game like switching the items. Its the exact same thing. Landing on turtles and dinosaurs over and over with a cape isnt hard. Most could do that on here when they were in elementary school. With points as the objective, maximizing them without exploiting the game makes it a better challenge. Carrying shells to destroy common enemies, carrying items with you to the finish line to get the extra power up. Those are strategies. Jumping on turtles and dinos and resetting them over and over getting 1k,2k,4k,8k a piece is not skill. Now when those enemies are there on a normal run and you hit them all and get all those points. thats great. But resetting them is bullcrap and an exploit all in the same as the power up one.

I posted my first attempt soda lake score. On that run I got all exits up until the bridges. Went for soda lake. Shouldnt have. Died knicking the bottom of the kill screen going under the part thats impossible to pass without getting hit if you dont dip below.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/29/2018 at 04:32 PM by quest4nes

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:37:01 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: quest4nes

I'd argue that point farming is not lame, and actually more difficult than just running through every level as you've done. It takes a higher level of accuracy by far, especially with the 1 life only rule. Also there's nothing at all that says it's not allowed by any stretch, the only rule being that you can only use each exit once, which makes sense, cuz otherwise I'd have submitted a 999,999,999 score by playing the same level over and over again, then beating the game. It gives us a chance to farm points per level and get a really high score, without the ability to take advantage of any one level in particular in order to avoid the harder levels.

The way you played sounds lame to me - zero thought or strategy put into it. Different strokes, bud!  

Oh its lame. Its boring as hell. Resetting enemies and exploiting a game the same thing over and over and over before progressing is stupid imo. Its the same thing about breaking a game like switching the items. Its the exact same thing. Landing on turtles and dinosaurs over and over with a cape isnt hard. Most could do that on here when they were in elementary school. With points as the objective, maximizing them without exploiting the game makes it a better challenge. Carrying shells to destroy common enemies, carrying items with you to the finish line to get the extra power up. Those are strategies. Jumping on turtles and dinos and resetting them over and over getting 1k,2k,4k,8k a piece is not skill. Now when those enemies are there on a normal run and you hit them all and get all those points. thats great. But resetting them is bullcrap and an exploit all in the same as the power up one.

I posted my first attempt soda lake score. On that run I got all exits up until the bridges. Went for soda lake. Shouldnt have. Died knicking the bottom of the kill screen going under the part thats impossible to pass without getting hit if you dont dip below.

With the cape it's easy, certainly; but also slow - do it without a cape to do it faster and maximize score even more. Now do it while minimizing time spent in the air by only doing short jumps. Timing jumps to maximize score output is much harder than simply knowing to always have a shell to use on base enemies for 1k a pop. There's farming points, which is easy, and then there's doing so quickly and efficiently which takes skill and stamina. I don't find that boring in the slightest, I find it challenging and engaging. 

But hey, as I say, different strokes - we're definitely not going to agree on this.  

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:37:57 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Bert

3-4 hours to get all exits? That seems like a lot

Speed running for 100% is like an hour and a half. In this contest not dying probably cuts it closer to 2.5-3  if your not trying to blaze and you are getting points. But a run through of dying and casual play. Yeah 3-4 hours.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/29/2018 at 04:38 PM by quest4nes

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:39:44 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

With the cape it's easy, certainly; but also slow - do it without a cape to do it faster and maximize score even more. Now do it while minimizing time spent in the air by only doing short jumps. Timing jumps to maximize score output is much harder than simply knowing to always have a shell to use on base enemies for 1k a pop. There's farming points, which is easy, and then there's doing so quickly and efficiently which takes skill and stamina. I don't find that boring in the slightest, I find it challenging and engaging. 

But hey, as I say, different strokes - we're definitely not going to agree on this.  

you are just exploiting a game doing the same thing over and over. Its no different than just exploiting the power up for points. The game gives you a billion seconds in each level. Doing what you do going for all exits would easily 999,999,999 out the game. You shaving seconds while doing it isnt going to matter.

got a question for brock though. Is the star road shortcut to beating the game count as beating the game? for the +1?

you can technically "beat the game" playing like 10-12 levels i think.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/29/2018 at 04:56 PM by quest4nes

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:52:07 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Yes, any path to Bowser is fine

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:12:28 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: Bert

3-4 hours to get all exits? That seems like a lot

Speed running for 100% is like an hour and a half. In this contest not dying probably cuts it closer to 2.5-3  if your not trying to blaze and you are getting points. But a run through of dying and casual play. Yeah 3-4 hours.

yeah 2.5-3 is what I was thinking. Going through the game fast gets you a good amount of points too, I hardly did any point grinding myself. I just died on a dumb part because I wasn't paying attention  

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:32:03 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

How about the honor system and dont do it. What I do is never change powerups unless I get hit and it falls. And I keep moving. Once an enemy is done its done and I move on.

I don’t think honor system is in question. if you have the exact same run as gloves but get hit and earn 1000 points for a power up then you would get a higher score than gloves who played a perfect run. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:54:08 PM
Murray (34)
Colorado

Super Mario World - 1,112,820

Here is my pictured score I got on my first attempt. Im not hiding bert lol. Just hate having to get on an actual computer to send the picture, download it, then upload it.

Bitchin CRT cabnet! 

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:05:57 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Murray

Super Mario World - 1,112,820

Here is my pictured score I got on my first attempt. Im not hiding bert lol. Just hate having to get on an actual computer to send the picture, download it, then upload it.

Bitchin CRT cabnet! 

If there's one thing we can all agree on, I think quest having a heckin cool setup is one of them! Wish I had the room for such a display.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:15:07 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
^^^agreed. Bitchin

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:46:12 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

How about the honor system and dont do it. What I do is never change powerups unless I get hit and it falls. And I keep moving. Once an enemy is done its done and I move on.

I don’t think honor system is in question. if you have the exact same run as gloves but get hit and earn 1000 points for a power up then you would get a higher score than gloves who played a perfect run. 

and yet that still is a lot less than getting 4 and 8k over and over and over in a handful of levels

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:47:34 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
I always try and play the contest on that tv. I dont know. Playing super nintendo on a console tv feels right.

My grandma had that tv for years and years. Its as old as me. About 10-15 years ago she got a new tube or whatever put in it. It was like 100 bucks and family thought she was nuts for wanting to keep that tv. Well her vision isnt the best so family bought her a nice big flat screen which she loves. So the console crt now is mine for games. They were going to get rid of it. I said. Oh hell no. 

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/29/2018 at 08:58 PM by quest4nes

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:06:49 PM
Murray (34)
Colorado

I always try and play the contest on that tv. I dont know. Playing super nintendo on a console tv feels right.

My grandma had that tv for years and years. Its as old as me. About 10-15 years ago she got a new tube or whatever put in it. It was like 100 bucks and family thought she was nuts for wanting to keep that tv. Well her vision isnt the best so family bought her a nice big flat screen which she loves. So the console crt now is mine for games. They were going to get rid of it. I said. Oh hell no. 

Reminds me of the tv my father still keeps in his rec room. Will snap a pic of it the next time I am over there.  

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:25:46 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
I still have my childhood CRT at my parents house. I'll be going to get it eventually. I really dig those 90s ass TV cabinets, with the shelves for those huge stereo systems, so ideally I'd put it in one of those. One day.

Console TVs were before my time  

Edited: 01/29/2018 at 10:26 PM by Bort License Plate

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:37:38 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Score update. A personal best getting as far as I have with one life! Don't mind my buddy Oscar, he was the rufferee.....

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:32:53 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Super Mario World - 321,110

Updated score:  Did better this time, left points on the table I know but at least I got to the third World.  I'm having fun with this now and wish I would have started earlier. 

All right finally I'm in the fray. Didnt play very well but its something. Didnt even make it to the first Ghost House cause I decided to go for the second exit on Donut Plains 1 after finishing Donut Plains 2. The allure of open valley worlds with feathers where I can hop on enemies is too strong and it fumbles my run.  Especially knowing that the cave levels ahead would be much more constticted for scoring points.  I disagree that its easy to hop on enemies this way because its very easy to slip up and theres lots of variables.

Link to the Past - 1st Dungeon (?), got the Compass Map and Big Key

Update: So not really sure how to say how far I got, I guess the first dungeon would be apt?  The spot where you go east of the castle after you go to Kakarirko Village.  Wasnt able to get farther last night because of sleep but I had fun with this.  Might even pick it up again and see if I can get farther than last time I tried like 5 years ago

Think I'm gonna try LttP next. Theres a game I'm trash at, but its nice to know I can basically just play the game and post how far I get in it before this thing ends tomorrow.  Just gonna try to enjoy it

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 01/31/2018 at 10:24 PM by Krunch

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:32:29 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

I disagree that its easy to hop on enemies this way because its very easy to slip up and theres lots of variables.

Not if youve developed 25 years of super mario world gameplay in your life. Which should be everyone. This system was the tits and every one basically came with smw.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/31/2018 at 02:33 AM by quest4nes

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:16:52 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

I disagree that its easy to hop on enemies this way because its very easy to slip up and theres lots of variables.

Not if youve developed 25 years of super mario world gameplay in your life. Which should be everyone. This system was the tits and every one basically came with smw.

Maybe so but that doesnt mean mistakes dont happen.  At any rate if I play more tomorrow I'll be able to beat this score.  I played some Zelda too and got frustrated in the first dungeon how you always have to go back to the start if you die.  I might play more tomorrow but really if I want to move up the rankings I'm better off playing SMW.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:55:18 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Scores added to post on first page. Like usual, I waited until the last minute to play these games   Died a lame death in Mario World in Donut Plains 3 because I got greedy for points. Doubt I'll have time to do a better run.

Had a lot of fun playing Zelda. It was the first time playing it in quite some time and I wish I had given myself more time to complete it before the deadline (likely won't have any more time to play before the contest ends).

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:43:48 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
In case I'm late getting the February thread up tonight

Donkey Kong Country 2
Goal -> %
Tiebreaker -> Low time
Bonus Point -> TBD, some very low time for 102%

Super Punch Out!
Goal -> High score for all combined circuits (same as 2016)
Tiebreaker -> n/a
Bonus Point -> TBD, something above Gut's 1st place entry in 2016

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:18:16 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Sounds good! Looking forward to these!