Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Collecting Questions Wata/VGA Advice, Authentic vs. Reseal Help, etc.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:57:17 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
VGA 2.0 - Show off your games Thread:  http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

VGA FAQ

Special thank you to Sephiaya (Mike) from Sealed Game Heaven for writing this original post. I have edited and added content where needed but the original post can be found at Sealed Game Heaven:

Please use this guide for tutorial purposes only.  If your question is not answered here please post in this thread or PM Rarebucky, MoeDown or MinusWorlds. Thank you Bucky, MoeDown and Bronty for your help.  Suggestions are welcome.

What is VGA? VGA is a Third Party Company that authenticates and grades Video Games.

What does VGA stand for?  VGA stands for Video Game Authority and is a subsidiary of Collectible Grading Authority (CGA)

What is the website for VGA?
The VGA website can be found here http://www.vggrader.com/default.aspx

How do I contact VGA?
The VGA contact page is here http://www.cgagradin...er/contact.aspx

What will VGA grade?
VGA will grade the following (they will grade all regions -  PAL, NTSC, etc)
- Factory Sealed games
- Factory Sealed consoles
- Factory Sealed accessories
- Games and units (consoles or accessories) that are brand new and were originally factory sealed but have had the seal opened or removed, contain all original contents and have NOT been used (this will get a Qualified grade)
- Games and units that did not have a Factory seal for that region (i.e in Australian SNES and 64 games were not sealed or NES/SNES NTSC consoles that were not sealed) – they will get graded under the regular scale
- Sealed Cases of games (i.e a case of 6 zelda games on this) or games in factory blister packs (i.e. Costco N64 bundles) these get what is known as an Uncirculated grade
- Any game related items – strategy guides, even cereal boxes!

What do the grades mean?
The VGA grades consist of Gold, Silver and Bronze. Individual grades can be found here http://www.vggrader....ing_scales.aspx

How do I submit an item to VGA?
A - You have 2 choices when submitting. You can either print out the submission form and send that in the with games http://www.vggrader....sion_forms.aspx or
B - Make an account with VGA and fill out an online submission form (the following link will require you to log in, and once logged it will direct you to the online submission form) https://www.cgagradi...ubmissions.aspx

How much does it cost?
First, you'll want to go to this link and look at the prices that it costs to grade. Depending on the size of the game, the value (Your valuation of the game, not VGA’s, VGA does not value games but uses values for pricing and insurance purposes for return shipping) and how quick a service you want will depend on the price. The pricing can be found here http://www.vggrader....gedpricing.aspx

How should I pack the games?
When packing you dont want to overpack (i.e too much bubble wrap etc). It is recommended to follow VGA's guidelines when packing. Personally I would recommend shipping games in acrylic cases (as they offer the best protection). Packing instructions can be found here http://www.vggrader...._packaging.aspx

Another helpful hint is wrapping the item in a soft Toilet Paper (YES TP) to makes sure the item does not get scratched during the shipping process.

Where can I buy acrylic cases?
Acrylic cases can be bought from the CGA store. The CGA stores video game cases can be found here http://www.cgagradin...x?CategoryId=35

What shipping service should I use when I submit the games?
That is up to you. Personally we would recommend you use the best that money can buy (i.e. FedEx, EMS, UPS etc) and would recommend that you FULLY insure your games. Delivery Confirmation is also recommended.

How can I pay?
Payment can be made either via PayPal or Credit Card. You can either put your info on the form or contact them over the phone or e-mail to arrange payment.

When will I be charged?
Your card will be charged the grading fees once they receive the games, determine return shipping amount and insurance amount. If paying PayPal you'll need to wait for them to invoice you.

How much is return shipping?
VGA only shows prices for return shipping to the USA. Shipping rates for the rest of the world will be emailed once grading is done and games are ready to go. They are discounted by 30% off the standard FEDX rate. VGA also ships via UPS.  Remember to choose with carrier you prefer during the submission process. Please NOTE if the value of your items exceeds $500 a signature will be required upon delivery Here is the link for VGA shipping http://www.vggrader....n_shipping.aspx

When do I pay return shipping?
Return shipping will be charged to your card once games have been graded and are ready to be shipped. If you have paid PayPal they will invoice you.

Will I get customs fees? (International Shipping Only)
You should not get customs fees as they are your own items and VGA's insurance is separate to the postage (therefore customs value is the cost of the grading fees)

Can I get the grades ASAP?
If you ask, VGA will send the grades once the games have been sent back to you over e-mail.

Is there a FAQ page?
The VGA FAQ page can be found here http://www.vggrader.com/faq.aspx

How do I fill out the submission form? Please follow these instructions for submitting an item for authentication/grading:

http://www.vggrader.com/submission_instructions.aspx

Some common submission related FAQ’s

Which style view should I choose?

The typical view choice is the "Clear View Label Style", this is what you see on the games here.

Can I use my Submission number to check the status of my items?

No. You may only check the status of your submission by using the VGA invoice number and/or your First and Last name. (Please NOTE the online invoice tracker has not been working for some period of time, you can however email customer service at [email protected] for a status update.)

What if the options I select on the submission form change while I am updating my information?
Once you make a change, be sure to select Save Changes before moving on.

What if I select the wrong tier?
Someone will contact you regarding the necessary changes only if you have under charged yourself more than $20. If you have overcharged yourself, then you will only be charged the correct amount.

What if my item is considered a reseal or non-authentic? 
VGA will return your item either sealed in an acrylic case, sliding bottom acrylic case, or loose, based on what you choose on the submission form (default is sealed acrylic, but we recommend the sliding acrylic bottom) and send back to you with a report as to why it was returned (Grading fees apply either way).

Misc. Submission Notes

Make sure to sign the submission form and include your Credit Card information, if applicable. The $3 cleaning fee is also recommended as once the game is sealed in its casing it would have to be sent back to VGA to be opened and cleaned. If you have any requests not listed on the Submission Form please use the “Special Instructions” section on the last page. Some examples of commonly requested instructions are Overnight Return Delivery request, Saturday Delivery request, Removal of Stickers (addt’l cost and is not covered by the $3 cleaning option).  Sticker removal is at the discretion of the VGA grader.  Basically if it’s out of the normal VGA process ask here.

Some common VGA related questions:

Does VGA offer Volume discounts?

They do offer volume discounts if you submit 10 or more items and even a larger discount if you submit 25, 50 or more. Check out VGA Pricing Tiers page for exact prices. Also, they offer dealer rates to dealers who will submit at least 100 items per month. If you are a dealer who can submit this many items consistently each month, contact VGA at [email protected].

CGA Memberships qualify you for discounted pricing and other service upgrades at any of CGAs divisions, including AFA (Action Figure Authority), CDA (Collectible Doll Authority), DCA (Die-Cast Authority), and VGA (Video Game Authority).
CGA Memberships are currently available in three membership levels, all of which will have access to new on-line account management features, on-line submission access, and basic population report data.
CGA Silver Level Membership - $99 / year, discounted member pricing. Click here to buy a Silver Level Membership!
CGA Gold Level Membership - $199 / year, discounted member pricing, average 25% faster turnaround times**, automatic 10% discount at the CGA Store for all acrylic cases and other supplies. Click here to buy a Gold Level Membership!
CGA Platinum Level Membership**** - $299 / year, discounted member pricing, average 50% faster turnaround times**, automatic 15% discount at the CGA Store for all acrylic cases and other supplies. Click here to buy a Platinum Level Membership!

If you have any questions you can email VGA Customer Service directly [email protected]

Other VGA related topics.

When I receive my VGA graded item where can I show it off?
You can post your graded items here at Nintendoage:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...

or here at Sealed Game Heaven, the official discussion forum for VGA:

http://www.sealedgameheaven.com/index.php?/topic/853-vga-sho...

Also, If you have a question as to what the consensus OPINION on an item is in regards to authenticity or the grade it could receive from VGA before submitting please post detailed pictures of the item in this threads, including pics of the seal, wrap, each corner etc. and we will give you our OPINION of what it will receive and authenticity based on past experience.

Edited: 09/22/2019 at 08:24 AM by MinusWorlds

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:58:18 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
nice work tom, that will help a few people out for sure

-------------------------
Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:30:44 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Nice work. We will give this a trial sticky, and hopefully cut down on lots of duplicate VGA threads.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:37:55 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Awesome job. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

New question needed:  what's the highest and lowest grade you've seen on a NES game?

Answer:  I've seen a  VGA 100 on a game and also a VGA 10

Edited: 01/25/2012 at 03:54 PM by NewUser123456789

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:42:16 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
Nice job and thank you!

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:17:07 PM
mlbfan10 (100)
(Jason Trogdon) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Nicely done!

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:40:47 PM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
Thanks man! I've been wanting to make sure I submit my sealed Duck Tales 2 correctly!

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:52:32 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Games were meant to be pl... nice job, Tom!

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:56:00 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
So I can't use single ply, need to cop that charmin ultra...

No, seriously thanks guys for all this. Really appreciate it.

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:16:01 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
RIP eZine Nice write up though.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:17:36 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: jonebone

RIP eZine Nice write up though.

I'm thinking of something much better for eZine...

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:49:54 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Glad to see this Tom, it will help a lot around here.

Sorry I didn't vote yes, had to go with I love you <3

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:01:56 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

Glad to see this Tom, it will help a lot around here.

Sorry I didn't vote yes, had to go with I love you <3

I love you too 8===> ~~ ~

I even jizzed.

Edited: 01/25/2012 at 07:03 PM by MinusWorlds

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:24:56 PM
theguy1962 (193)
(Hernan Alonso or "Zo") < Kraid Killer >
California
This is sweet! I'll definitely be showing some pictures of my Indiana Jones 64. Been debating whether to send it in.

Will the VGA gurus around here be subscribing to this thread? I think it would help with its success since there would be more opinions on the game in a shorter time period before the post gets lost behind newer questions/posts.

I have another question that I've been meaning to ask. I know there's no definite answer because the item's rarity/popularity have a lot to do with it's value. From experience, is there a cut off point in the grading scale where the graded item doesn't gain any real value? For example, maybe an Ocarina of Time 3D got a 70. At that point is it just worth raw auction value+grading fees? I hope my question makes sense.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:55:42 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: theguy1962

This is sweet! I'll definitely be showing some pictures of my Indiana Jones 64. Been debating whether to send it in.

Will the VGA gurus around here be subscribing to this thread? I think it would help with its success since there would be more opinions on the game in a shorter time period before the post gets lost behind newer questions/posts.

I have another question that I've been meaning to ask. I know there's no definite answer because the item's rarity/popularity have a lot to do with it's value. From experience, is there a cut off point in the grading scale where the graded item doesn't gain any real value? For example, maybe an Ocarina of Time 3D got a 70. At that point is it just worth raw auction value+grading fees? I hope my question makes sense.
I already subscribed :-)

That's a good question. 

I think it depends on 1. The system, NES vs XBoX360 etc. as older generations should have more leniency in grading.  An 80 NES Black Box Title holds good value where an XBoX360 80 would be pretty sub standard.  

2 I think for any older gen system the grade should be 80 or above to bother with a grade. That's my .02

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:09:32 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I've been considering sending my NWC cart in just out of curiosity as to what grade it would get. I wasn't even aware that they graded them, but when I called to order an acrylic NES cart case for it I was told that they would grade it since they never came with packaging. I doubt I will any time soon since I'm not looking to sell it, but I don't think they had graded any yet since apparently I was the first person to ask about it.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:30:57 PM
Cabanon (53)
(Louis Duquet) < Lolo Lord >
Quebec
Can i vote "yes" and "i love you minusworld" ?

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:41:45 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
yeah this helps a ton ! thanks and I'm sure i'll be needing more answers as I get ready for my first submissions

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:13:50 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Only thing I would add, is I would not ship in a VGA sliding bottom case. For whatever reason, They are made too tight, so, alot of times, just getting them in, does some damage, depending on the game.

I currently have 3 sealed games stuck in those things. But I don't plan to grade them anyway.

The toilet paper sounds like a good idea, who thought of that?

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:58:19 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I think Gary (GoldLevelGames) suggested the toilet paper idea. I have never used it but if I had a really Minty DVD style game then maybe I'd consider it. Seems a bit excessive on Cardboard.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:14:14 AM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Actually , AFA (Action Figure Authority) has had the toilet paper thing listed in their steps for packing action figures since they opened. Figures are usually packed inside a Star Case for protection during shipping and sometimes, the weight of the figure bouncing around inside the blister during shipping will cause the blister to break and the figure to burst through the plastic. They recommend filling each Star Case with toilet paper to support the outside of the blister in hopes to avoid such damage.

For the record, it takes a shitload of TP (about 1/2 a role) to fill each Star Case properly.

For games, I don't use the tissue, I just double-box the hell out of them. I pack it so the box could be drop-kick-shipped from Oregon to Georgia with little chance of damaging the contents.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:19:33 PM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
Great job Tom!! I wish this was around when I sent my first submission in. Would have saved me a butt-load of time.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000C...

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:

http://rfgenerationcollectorcast....
677/677 Licensed NES Games
94/94 TG16 Games

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:22:19 PM
blarky (37)
(b0rk b0rk) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Great job with the info. I'm sure it'll help out.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:30:53 AM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I actually don't recommend toilet/tissue paper, particularly for games that have ventholes. It's entirely possible that small pieces of the paper (or dust) can get under the ventholes. I just bubble wrap, it's never been a problem.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:27:47 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: rarebucky

I actually don't recommend toilet/tissue paper, particularly for games that have ventholes. It's entirely possible that small pieces of the paper (or dust) can get under the ventholes. I just bubble wrap, it's never been a problem.
Since I only purchase reseals ventholes arent an issue.