Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Take On The NES Library Updated 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:32:14 AM
MasonSushi (83)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < King Solomon >
South Carolina
I went to the site and was impressed. I like it. I think the random game is cool, as well as taking requests via a poll here on the site would be neat as well.

Good luck and I will be following you and your adventures.

-------------------------
Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:02:48 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: MasonSushi

I went to the site and was impressed. I like it. I think the random game is cool, as well as taking requests via a poll here on the site would be neat as well.

Good luck and I will be following you and your adventures.

Thank you very much! 

My master list is already determined and I'd like to stick with it because it keeps things fresh and interesting not knowing what game is coming up next.  I feel if I left to requests people would suggest popular good games and I would rather leave them for when they come up randomly to give me something to look forward to.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:14:46 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Neat. Finally looking through what you've done so far.

Have to dispute your difficulty scoring for Tetris, though.

If you pick relatively easy scores to achieve and have an easy time getting them, I don't think that's a very fair rating of how difficult it is to actually do well at the game.

(also, have to give you a thumbs down for talking about other Tetris stuff in your post but not mentioning Ecstasy of Order )

That said, the additional notes about various games are great.

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 03:20 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:50:08 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Neat. Finally looking through what you've done so far.

Have to dispute your difficulty scoring for Tetris, though.

If you pick relatively easy scores to achieve and have an easy time getting them, I don't think that's a very fair rating of how difficult it is to actually do well at the game.

(also, have to give you a thumbs down for talking about other Tetris stuff in your post but not mentioning Ecstasy of Order )

That said, the additional notes about various games are great.

Thanks for reading, man! 

The difficulty rankings are just my gut feeling so they are very much subject to discussion.  My aim is to rate them based on the minimum criteria I established (also subjective!) relative to every other licensed NES game.  I put 3/10 but that is probably low.  Getting 10,000 on A-Type is 1/10, but clearing 9-5 on B-Type takes legit effort and repetition to be able to do it.  Still, maybe 4/10 or 5/10.  The higher difficulty makes a lot more sense than the average of the two so that's why I think now I was a bit low on the difficulty.

Perhaps years down the road after I have more games under my belt it would make sense to revise my difficult ratings.  I don't know.  It's really just my opinion but maybe it could resemble something close to the overall difficulty consensus out there.

Also, I had not heard of Ecstasy of Order until now.  How did I miss that!?

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:57:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

The difficulty rankings are just my gut feeling so they are very much subject to discussion.  My aim is to rate them based on the minimum criteria I established (also subjective!) relative to every other licensed NES game.  I put 3/10 but that is probably low.  Getting 10,000 on A-Type is 1/10, but clearing 9-5 on B-Type takes legit effort and repetition to be able to do it.  Still, maybe 4/10 or 5/10.  The higher difficulty makes a lot more sense than the average of the two so that's why I think now I was a bit low on the difficulty.

Perhaps years down the road after I have more games under my belt it would make sense to revise my difficult ratings.  I don't know.  It's really just my opinion but maybe it could resemble something close to the overall difficulty consensus out there.

Also, I had not heard of Ecstasy of Order until now.  How did I miss that!?

Well, I didn't even point out that you only played half of the B-type levels... you can do the A+Start combo to play levels 10-19 on B-Type.

The "difficulty" rating for Tetris is all about what you pick as a benchmark, though, so yeah, unusually subjective amongst the other games you've played so far.
The 120k needed for the "best ending" is, of course, a joke.
IMO, the game gets "hard" when you're trying to get into the 500k+ range, and goes up exponentially from there, when you realize you're trying to squeeze better and better play into a fixed amount of lines available to clear.

(let alone the fact that you only played through 2/3 of the game -- i.e. top out at 19 vs 29   -- granted the game never really ends, just nobody but Thor has made it to 30+ in normal play)

Seriously, though, blows my mind that you missed every mention of Ecstasy of Order over the years.
I thought we did a decent job of talking about it on the forums and publicising it when it was released a few years ago.

You really should link the site and trailer, though, if you're doing an NES Tetris review...

http://watch.ecstasyoforder.com/...

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 04:02 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:30:34 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Well, I didn't even point out that you only played half of the B-type levels... you can do the A+Start combo to play levels 10-19 on B-Type.

The "difficulty" rating for Tetris is all about what you pick as a benchmark, though, so yeah, unusually subjective amongst the other games you've played so far.
The 120k needed for the "best ending" is, of course, a joke.
IMO, the game gets "hard" when you're trying to get into the 500k+ range, and goes up exponentially from there, when you realize you're trying to squeeze better and better play into a fixed amount of lines available to clear.

(let alone the fact that you only played through 2/3 of the game -- i.e. top out at 19 vs 29   -- granted the game never really ends, just nobody but Thor has made it to 30+ in normal play)

Seriously, though, blows my mind that you missed every mention of Ecstasy of Order over the years.
I thought we did a decent job of talking about it on the forums and publicising it when it was released a few years ago.

You really should link the site and trailer, though, if you're doing an NES Tetris review...

http://watch.ecstasyoforder.com/

Are you done editing your post now so I can properly reply? 

The main thing is that I want to at least have a chance of finishing every NES game instead of spending all of my time mastering Tetris, hahaha!  I look at completing the game as finishing all the content and on a game that is essentially endless like Tetris I need to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  The 120K best ending is just more sensible to me than reaching Level 29.

It seems like we have a disconnect on what it means to be "good at NES Tetris" and how hard the game is.  I have a much lower threshold of hard than 500K as in your example.  I think I'm pretty good at the game but 500K would only be possible for me if I dedicated myself only to Tetris for weeks or months.  When I look at rating difficulty from my minimum criteria the difficulty goes way down.

I had not planned on doing any kind of difficulty score at all until some folks here mentioned they'd like to see it.  I figured it's not that much more effort to slap on a number and call it a day.  Now look where that's gotten me! 

Another thing is that the concept of beating a game is going to be an issue on future games that go on indefinitely.  Take Donkey Kong.  What does it mean to beat that game?  It could mean beat the three levels and get the ending scene, it could mean looping the game for as long as the difficulty increases, and it could mean reaching the kill screen.  Where do you draw the line?

Looks like Ecstasy of Order came out in 2011 before I was a member here, so that explains why I never saw all of that promotion.

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:00:38 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The main thing is that I want to at least have a chance of finishing every NES game instead of spending all of my time mastering Tetris, hahaha!  I look at completing the game as finishing all the content and on a game that is essentially endless like Tetris I need to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  The 120K best ending is just more sensible to me than reaching Level 29.

It seems like we have a disconnect on what it means to be "good at NES Tetris" and how hard the game is.  I have a much lower threshold of hard than 500K as in your example.  I think I'm pretty good at the game but 500K would only be possible for me if I dedicated myself only to Tetris for weeks or months.  When I look at rating difficulty from my minimum criteria the difficulty goes way down.

I had not planned on doing any kind of difficulty score at all until some folks here mentioned they'd like to see it.  I figured it's not that much more effort to slap on a number and call it a day.  Now look where that's gotten me! 

Another thing is that the concept of beating a game is going to be an issue on future games that go on indefinitely.  Take Donkey Kong.  What does it mean to beat that game?  It could mean beat the three levels and get the ending scene, it could mean looping the game for as long as the difficulty increases, and it could mean reaching the kill screen.  Where do you draw the line?

Looks like Ecstasy of Order came out in 2011 before I was a member here, so that explains why I never saw all of that promotion.

Yeah, I completely understand that rating the difficulty of score-based puzzle games, or "endless" arcade games, is always going to be challenging.

So in that sense, for Tetris specifically, I'm offering the critique that you only played through half of the available B-mode (i.e. level 10 - 19 are, in fact, playable in B-mode), and it might be worth a mention in your otherwise fairly thorough blog write-ups.

You're right that we have different definitions of what "good at Tetris" looks like, though my views were skewed even further by working with the EOO project.
Prior to that, i thought I was pretty good, being able to get in the 500k-600k range, but once you see those guys that can play through the level 19-28 range, it's like they're practically playing a different game.  (don't think I've ever gotten farther than level 24, for instance)

In terms of DK -- didn't we have a member make it to the NES equivalent of the kill screen?
(though that is a ridiculously high bar to set)

You don't really "beat" games in that genre, though.  
With few exceptions, they always eventually beat you, no matter how good you are. 

I think the best you can do with score-based "endless" games would be to:
(a) do some research on a reasonable score threshold to achieve
(b) if you insist on rating difficulty include the concept of comparing against what is possible beyond what you were able to do
i.e. for Tetris, 250k was no problem but you say 500k might have taken you weeks of practice... or imagine a max out... thousands of hours of practice involved.
So your threshold was 2/10 or 3/10, 500k would maybe be 6 or 7/10 on the same scale and 999k would be 10/10.

For all the other exposition, I think that kind of discussion would probably add more perspective for somebody looking to learn about the games from your blog.

Because, while I can speak with great knowledge on a game like Tetris, I know there is easily 70% of the library that I've never bothered to play, and will have no context for what your difficulty ratings mean if they don't give a sense of what you goals were relative to some external benchmark.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:07:52 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania

In terms of DK -- didn't we have a member make it to the NES equivalent of the kill screen?

You said that like it could have been anyone other than Tom

I think also with DK, at a certain point the speed of the obsticles converge. I cant remember what loop it is but possible after you beat the hardest look, you can consider it beaten.

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 05:08 PM by RegularGuyGamer

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:10:32 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

You said that like it could have been anyone other than Tom

I think also with DK, at a certain point the speed of the obsticles converge. I cant remember what loop it is but possible after you beat the hardest look, you can consider it beaten.
Didn't actually think it was Tom.

Can't remember if it was BA, or somebody else, though, that was the serious DK NES die-hard.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:29:04 PM
Johnny (155)
(Johnny Iucci) < El Ripper >
California
Very nice work, I enjoyed it very much

~Listen to the Collector's Quest Podcast~
   https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
   https://soundcloud.com/collectors... 

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:05:06 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
New post today!  If you have been following the Can NA Beat Every NES Game In A Year thread then you may already know what game I was about to post.  It turned out to be an interesting game and one that I've written way too many words about.

#11 - The Immortal

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:13:07 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Neat. That is one I've been meaning to beat for a long time, but I've never taken the time to more than dabble with.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:36:33 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Neat. That is one I've been meaning to beat for a long time, but I've never taken the time to more than dabble with.

I dabbled in it too only because I just wanted to see if my cart copy worked okay!    Otherwise, I don't think I would have ever really sat down to try it.  It's not exactly my cup of tea but I'm glad I played it.

I meant to get back to you sooner on your comments on Tetris from yesterday.  Really great stuff, I appreciate the thought you put into it.

I had not considered going above and beyond 9-5.  I see that the code is even listed in the manual so I can't use that as an excuse for not trying to take it farther.

When in doubt of the conditions needed to say I beat the game, I have been using the explanations in the Can NA Beat Every NES Game In A Year thread as a general guideline and from there tailor it as desired.  For Tetris I used the thread's guidelines exactly as far as considering Tetris beaten.

I would say at my current skill level my Tetris max score would be somewhere around 350K.  I've gotten as high as Level 20 but not for quite some time.  I think it would take me weeks to even begin to sniff any notion of expert level.

I have been treating my difficulty ratings as a throw-in and I haven't really been giving them much attention in my posts.  I never intended to do any kind of rating at all but I suppose if I am going to include them in any capacity then it makes sense to explain myself where it is warranted, like with Tetris.

I am probably going to amend my Tetris post and some others later on once I get caught up with blog posts.  I'm still two games behind!

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:42:01 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

When in doubt of the conditions needed to say I beat the game, I have been using the explanations in the Can NA Beat Every NES Game In A Year thread as a general guideline and from there tailor it as desired.  For Tetris I used the thread's guidelines exactly as far as considering Tetris beaten.

I think it goes without saying that I think the requirement in that thread for Tetris is kind of a joke and they could come up with better.

(that said, I'd be willing to bet that nobody in that thread is capable of beating Type B Level 19 High 5, since VERY few can)

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:42:07 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

This is similar to my line of thinking.  In my opinion to beat the game would only be one loop as that contains all of the "content" in the game.  However my goal would be to get through the loop with the hardest difficulty.  If I weren't able to reach that within a week I'd just drop it and move on.

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:47:14 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I think it goes without saying that I think the requirement in that thread for Tetris is kind of a joke and they could come up with better.

(that said, I'd be willing to bet that nobody in that thread is capable of beating Type B Level 19 High 5, since VERY few can)

Challenge accepted

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:05:30 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

I think your opinion on what the requirement should be (I don't recall you actually suggesting an alternative) is skewed based upon your exposure to master-level NES Tetris play as well as your own high skill level in the game relative to the majority of other players.  I'm making that assumption based upon what you've said to this point.

I think the B-Type requirement is fine.  I should check but I don't think the ending scenes are any different for levels 10+.  I'm guessing Level 10 reuses the Level 0 cinematic and so on.

For A-Type getting the best ending sequence, i.e. scoring at least 120K, would be more appropriate than just beating the high score.  Reaching any other arbitrary milestone just seems overkill to me.

Take On The NES Library!

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:10:08 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I think your opinion on what the requirement should be (I don't recall you actually suggesting an alternative) is skewed based upon your exposure to master-level NES Tetris play as well as your own high skill level in the game relative to the majority of other players.  I'm making that assumption based upon what you've said to this point.

I don't deny that I'm a more polite version of Pegboy when it comes to Tetris.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:38:15 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I've gotten as high as Level 20 but not for quite some time.  I think it would take me weeks to even begin to sniff any notion of expert level.

I got to Level 24 once, so I figured you would be able to beat that blindfolded! That was a few years ago when I used to play Tetris almost daily with a guy that I worked with, so I doubt that I could get even close to that now without some serious practice.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:23:46 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Ive been playing Jeopardy lately to give myself a break from Lolo and man, these games are great. Looking forward to your next completion!

May the force be with you.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:55:05 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I've gotten as high as Level 20 but not for quite some time.  I think it would take me weeks to even begin to sniff any notion of expert level.

I got to Level 24 once, so I figured you would be able to beat that blindfolded! That was a few years ago when I used to play Tetris almost daily with a guy that I worked with, so I doubt that I could get even close to that now without some serious practice.

Well the speed planes out at Level 19 until you get to Level 29, so if you can survive the first couple of levels at that speed, you should theoretically be able to get to 29 if you play conservatively.

That said, I've never broken through 24 under real world circumstances

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:00:13 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Well the speed planes out at Level 19 until you get to Level 29, so if you can survive the first couple of levels at that speed, you should theoretically be able to get to 29 if you play conservatively.

That said, I've never broken through 24 under real world circumstances

Since I plan to take a break from the weekly contests this year, I'll probably try and get back up to speed on my Tetris. I still need to start on that second quest of Zelda too, so I should be able to stay pretty busy.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:27:05 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia

New post today!  If you have been following the Can NA Beat Every NES Game In A Year thread then you may already know what game I was about to post.  It turned out to be an interesting game and one that I've written way too many words about.

#11 - The Immortal
That's one I used to play at my friend's house on the genesis. I don't think I ever got past level 2 though. I would be interested in playing it again, although I would probably go for the Genesis version over the NES for the sake of nostalgia..

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:47:50 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Originally posted by: G-Type

#11 - The Immortal
That's one I used to play at my friend's house on the genesis. I don't think I ever got past level 2 though. I would be interested in playing it again, although I would probably go for the Genesis version over the NES for the sake of nostalgia..

I believe the Genesis version has an additional level that was cut for the NES port so that would be the better version to play anyway! 

Take On The NES Library!

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:42:44 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
I appreciate all the discussion and comments in the thread today!

Because of that it may get overlooked, but I posted a new blog today!  Another Disney game!

#12 - TaleSpin

I have started on Game #16 already so more blogs are coming!

Take On The NES Library!