Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Mega Man 9 - trial version Mega Man 9 demake on the nes

Sep 27 at 1:38:22 AM
Banshaku (0)
< Cherub >
Japan
It's the second time I lost my detailed post by clicking accidentally outside the posting window  (that's really user unfriendly behavior for a bbs app ^-^;;; ). I will just write the message by small parts and updated it to avoid losing content again.

The goal of this project was to make a game engine and used mm9 assets for testing (2008~2010). I had to stop working on nes programming for many years and restarted recently.

I decided to test some C code on the nes and had no project so used that one to see how well you can mix asm/c and it went more far than expected.

Here's the current status of the project. I don't know how to share video from twitter so I will put the links:

Company logos:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168795386560970752

Intro:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1169652709386932224

https://twitter.com/i/status/1171445655329370113

Title screen:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1172337028060479488

Menu:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1173783679480369152

Jukebox:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1175590211188744195

Selection screen:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1174887530052718592

Since it's a demake, obviously I won't be able to produce carts the rom will be available later.

I thought that this project may interest users on Nintendo age so I decided to create a topic about it.

Note: this is a post "in-progress" and will add more details later (I'm tired to lost my post ^-^;;; )
Note2: It seems I cannot upload more pictures at the moment (it fails to send them) so I will continue the post later. Is there a limit of files that can be attached to a message? It just fails to upload image for some reason.

Edited: 09/27/2019 at 02:20 AM by Banshaku

Sep 27 at 4:03:35 AM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
So will this be an actual working NES rom, recreating the entire original game? Or is it just an "art project" with the goal of releasing an interactive rom with menus and artwork or parts of stages as a proof of concept? I'm thinking the first, but not completely sure after reading the post.

If it's the former, I'm super psyched!

-------------------------

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Edited: 09/27/2019 at 05:54 AM by ifightdragons

Sep 27 at 7:01:28 AM
Indo (4)
(Chris ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
🤩 excited to see where this goes

Deadeye.bit        Twitter       Instagram

Sep 27 at 7:47:40 AM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
This is awesome. I played this game back when I was in college. There is also a version with MegaMan 7. Did you do that one also?

Sep 27 at 10:27:22 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Dude. Awesome.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Sep 27 at 11:29:12 AM
Banshaku (0)
< Cherub >
Japan
@ifightdragons

Right now, the video you see are all running on the nes: logo, intro, title, menu, jukebox, selection screen and start of playing. All maps of the trial version (Concrete Man map) are already converted and working. The main goal was to make a game engine that is re-usable to make an original game in the future but for this particular project, since I'm quite busy, it to try to make to the same level as the demo that was available on ps3/wii but with the boss battle included (it was not in the demo). So at first, no, I'm no planning the complete game "but" once you have an engine working it does open the possibly of adding more stage  

@Indo / Ferris Bueller

Thanks!

@phart010

I didn't work on that project. What I know is that the Mega Man 7/8 nes style games were done by some Japanese fan and it's a windows app. A little bit different from this project but still quite impressive the work that was done to adapt it to 8 bit style.

Sep 27 at 12:16:41 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Banshaku

@ifightdragons

Right now, the video you see are all running on the nes: logo, intro, title, menu, jukebox, selection screen and start of playing. All maps of the trial version (Concrete Man map) are already converted and working. The main goal was to make a game engine that is re-usable to make an original game in the future but for this particular project, since I'm quite busy, it to try to make to the same level as the demo that was available on ps3/wii but with the boss battle included (it was not in the demo). So at first, no, I'm no planning the complete game "but" once you have an engine working it does open the possibly of adding more stage  

@Indo / Ferris Bueller

Thanks!

@phart010

I didn't work on that project. What I know is that the Mega Man 7/8 nes style games were done by some Japanese fan and it's a windows app. A little bit different from this project but still quite impressive the work that was done to adapt it to 8 bit style.
Oh wait a minute! I thought this was a Megaman 8 remake. It’s Megaman 9! Great 👍 this is awesome

Sep 28 at 12:41:24 AM
Zezzler (1)
(Jesse Sesler) < Little Mac >
Korea, Republic of
Looks absolutely fantastic! And the constant stream of update via Twitter have been so great to follow. I hope this sees a ton of success, as you and Marcelo have clearly been working extremely hard on it!

@Zezzler   JammingGames    Zezzler   NES Collection

Sep 28 at 12:47:17 AM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina
Does your engine by chance use vrc6 sound?

Also, what did you mean you won’t be able to produce a cart? I thought that if you can produce a rom file, then it should hypothetically be able to get transferred onto a cart. Can you elaborate on that??

Edited: 09/28/2019 at 12:51 AM by phart010

Sep 28 at 9:59:04 AM
Banshaku (0)
< Cherub >
Japan
@Zezzler

Thanks! Marcelo (MCBRemake) did a great job adapting the intro to the limitation on the nes. We shouldn't forget about Tssf too, who decided to remake the complete soundtrack and make it as close to the original as possible.

@phart010

Regarding the engine, since I'm using Famitracker for the soundriver then yes, it could support VRC6 without issue but Mega Man doesn't require those extra channels so right now it uses the MMC3 made by Nintendo.

As for what I means by not being able to produce carts is since I don't own the rights to the game, I cannot make carts and sell them obviously. That doesn't stop you once the rom is available to either use it on a flash cart or make your own cart for "personal/educational use" (laugh). So yes, it works on a real nes and can be used on a cart but I can't sell it: it's a fan game that show how Mega Man 9 could have been on the nes. If Capcom gets interested in the project and want to sell it then I will be more than happy to do it but I would be surprised though.