Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Air Raid for 2600 up for Auction Air Raid up for Auction

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:21:20 PM
AcePuppy (2)
(Ryan C) < Crack Trooper >
Virginia

Saw Air Raid for 2600 up for auction on eBay thought I would share, since you never see it for public sale.

Current Listing with Cart and Box: http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-RAID-CARTRIDGE-W-BOX-VERY-RARE-ATARI...

AtariAge.com Thread on the Auction: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/160607-my-air-raid-auct...

Final minute of the Air Raid with Box auction:

Winning bid: $31,600

Winner: Wonder007 (He confirmed on the AA forums to have won and will pay)

Edited: 04/11/2010 at 09:34 AM by AcePuppy

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:29:34 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Wow, very cool information on what could have been the box. I'll be watching, this one should get out of hand pretty quickly.

-------------------------

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:37:45 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Cool, finally someone revealed some info on this thing.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:47:09 PM
portnoyd- (39)

(Stephen Colbert) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Wow, confirmed sold in the US. Craziness.

If you PM me, I will tell you to go away, especially if you're trying to mooch my games.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:12:02 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
That cart just looks cool for some odd reason!

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:35:17 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: portnoyd

I don't think anyone can call it confirmed based on one eBayer's hazy recollection...esp when it's in his vested interest to confirm it NTSC to up the sale price. No offense, but it smacks of your self-confirming the ACGI Wally Bear as a "true" variant Although you had actual published words to back up your claim...this guy has nothing of the sort.

Not to mention that his saying he knew it was for the 2600 by the way it looked through the package is extremely fishy, since it could very well have been for another competing system...They ALL looked like small cartridges with about the same sized PCB aperture, in fact this one looks SO unlike any other Atari VCS game that if there was a question in my mind, I would have passed on it back in the day.

Edited: 03/29/2010 at 08:37 PM by dangevin

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:54:21 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
Originally posted by: dangevin

I don't think anyone can call it confirmed based on one eBayer's hazy recollection...esp when it's in his vested interest to confirm it NTSC to up the sale price. No offense, but it smacks of your self-confirming the ACGI Wally Bear as a "true" variant Although you had actual published words to back up your claim...this guy has nothing of the sort.

Not to mention that his saying he knew it was for the 2600 by the way it looked through the package is extremely fishy, since it could very well have been for another competing system...They ALL looked like small cartridges with about the same sized PCB aperture, in fact this one looks SO unlike any other Atari VCS game that if there was a question in my mind, I would have passed on it back in the day.

Very good point.   That part of his recollection does sound fishy, that by the shape of it he knew it was for the 2600.

Nonetheless, i'm excited to watch something I never planned to own and don't collect go for lots of money that will end up in the hands of someone who loves it.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:12:59 PM
portnoyd- (39)

United States
Originally posted by: dangevin

You're thinking of buyatari.

If you PM me, I will tell you to go away, especially if you're trying to mooch my games.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:18:06 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^ Oops yep sorry about that I get all you uber-old-schoolers mixed up!

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:41:35 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
for what its worth, I believe the guy, but I agree that its not much of a confirmation. that sort of confirmation is probably as good as it will get though.

if another seller or two came along with similar stories it would lend some more credence

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:36:23 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Many overseas bootlegs were sold in the US in states along the boarder and major cities liek NY. This is where the money is. If a vendor could make a few bucks selling bootlegs over licensed Atari carts he would. It isn't like he bought this at Sears and has a sales slip to prove it.

As for NTSC that part needs no story you just examine the cart and this one has more in common with the PAL M carts of South America than the NTSC carts of the USA. It also has "borrowed code" from another game. The cart design, look and company name are all very South American. Yet the majority are looking for proof it is NOT American and not the other way around.

As for Wally Bear I didn't say it was a "true variant" whatever that even means. I said it was an R10. NWC is listed as an R10 so is CMII and so is Myriad. Whatever section you put those carts Wally Bear belongs and so does Chiller.

These two games do have 1 thing in common. People are quick to assign them as games that count or not based on how they were first described. Air Raid has been in the rarity guides from the start so people accept it. Wally Bear was not so they don't.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:18:34 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: buyatari2

These two games do have 1 thing in common. People are quick to assign them as games that count or not based on how they were first described. Air Raid has been in the rarity guides from the start so people accept it. Wally Bear was not so they don't.

Interesting point.

With that said, both Wally Bear and Air Raid are R10 regardless of their classification/origins.  It's the classification that leaves people scratching their heads.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:02:21 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Interesting point.

With that said, both Wally Bear and Air Raid are R10 regardless of their classification/origins.  It's the classification that leaves people scratching their heads.

Ok we agree. give it an R10 in the online guide.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:15:33 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:31:14 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

Interesting point.

And by that logic nearly every prototype I own would be considered an R10.  I just don't lobby to have them listed as such because it's pointless and redundant (and whinny for that matter).

I was simply stating that the game was rare and that it's currently impossible to categorize it as a released title or prototype due to the information that's readily available..  Everyone knows that the game is rare regardless of what you'd like to have it called.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:00:25 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Interesting point.

And by that logic nearly every prototype I own would be considered an R10.  I just don't lobby to have them listed as such because it's pointless and redundant (and whinny for that matter).

I was simply stating that the game was rare and that it's currently impossible to categorize it as a released title or prototype due to the information that's readily available..  Everyone knows that the game is rare regardless of what you'd like to have it called.

The prototypes you have are early versions of released games. The released versions of those games are represented in the rarity guide.  Perhaps you have some unreleased games and they deserve to have a seperate listing but unless they are complete in data and form they are mere prototypes. The AGCI Wally Bear is at the final step of production both in data and form.

What I'd like is consistancy in the listings. Not that games be left where they are just because they have been placed there years ago. If Wally Bear is a prototype then so is NWC and so is CMII etc.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:08:21 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I actually do consider NWC in the same vein as prototypes, if that helps

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:50:45 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

The AGCI Wally Bear is at the final step of production both in data and form.

No, it's not.  There's nothing even close to conclusive that would suggest otherwise.  Stamping your feet and pouting will not prove otherwise.

What I'd like is consistancy in the listings. Not that games be left where they are just because they have been placed there years ago. If Wally Bear is a prototype then so is NWC and so is CMII etc.

If anything, NWC should have a separate listing as a competition cart along with other similar titles.  It was not a production game, but it certainly isn't a prototype by definition.  CMII  is another can of worms I suppose, but the history of the game is well known/documented at this point.

Here's an example for you:
http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

It is in-fact known that this title is not a legitimate release, but actually a pirate.  I made a thread about it a while back, and no one commented or seemed to care.  I have far more evidence to support that this game is a pirate (you'd have to be retarded to think it to be a legitimate release), but what does it matter?  I have no real vested interest in it.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:22:32 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
com'n you two, this thread is about air raid, can't you disagree in the wally bear thread

eBay listings here

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:30:47 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
I brought it up. Shame on me.

I play Jinzo...in Depeche Mode!

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:32:24 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
So for those of us that don't really get all chubby over Atari games, can someone dish a little history on this? I thought something like Video Life was supposed to be the most rare game?

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:52:48 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: nesguy

So for those of us that don't really get all chubby over Atari games, can someone dish a little history on this? I thought something like Video Life was supposed to be the most rare game?

a few things- it's rare, fewer than 20 found. but occasionally one is found in the wild (someone shows up with an unknown specimen). they've been found all across the southern us. it's a visually distinctive item with the blue t-handle shell. there's still quite a bit of mystery around it, as no one has provided conclusive proof as to the origin of the game. there hasn't even been any proof that the title is really "air raid." also no boxes have been found/identified.

video life is kind of an odd duck. it was a mail order only piece, and it's not really a game. it's also pretty plain looking. air raid is going to jump out at people a lot more than video life.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:17:48 AM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Looks like he found the box too (unless this is an elaborate April Fools joke):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/to...

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:49:56 AM
portnoyd- (39)

United States
Originally posted by: scaryice

Looks like he found the box too (unless this is an elaborate April Fools joke):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/160607-my-air-raid-auct...

If that's legit, it should go for more than a SE box. Wow.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:01:15 AM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
damn.. so is there any way that this box could be verified as legit? by the sounds of it only one other person has a box or one other box has ever shown up...i know nothing of atari stuff, educate me