Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

1st discrepancy - bert was given an extra sports point somewhere in 2016
2nd discrepancy - krunch was also given an extra sports point somewhere in 2016
3rd discrepancy - error on my end with Richardhead
4th discrepancy - laddersandcakes is missing 3 points from his point total.  He should be at 98 in an 11th place tie with Ferris
5th discrepancy - error on my end with Santa, smick, and Stryphos
6th discrepancy - Mega Tank has 3 extra action-platformer points, 3 extra puzzle points, 3 extra arcade points
7th discrepancy - PDork87 is missing from the leaderboard

PDork87 = Mega Tank

Frickin' name changes!

Thanks  

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:54:54 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

4th discrepancy - laddersandcakes is missing 3 points from his point total.  He should be at 98 in an 11th place tie with Ferris
6th discrepancy - Mega Tank has 3 extra action-platformer points, 3 extra puzzle points, 3 extra arcade points

PDork87 = Mega Tank

Frickin' name changes!

Thanks  

No problemo!  That's what I'm here for    If I'm not mistaken, I think he may have been the only contest competitor to change his username this year...but don't quote me on that  

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:09:08 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Okay, I think I need to set things straight.  I'm not looking to start a war here and let's not have any drama over what I'm going to say.  You were a Tier 3 competitor, bottom line.  Yes, you played by Tier 1 rules and you posted a better score than arnpoly, but he was still the Tier 1 champion of 2014.  I'm not sure who awarded you the Tier 1 champion icon, but it looks as if it was in error.  Being a Tier 3 competitor that year, it should technically be a Tier 3 icon.  Or, we can even create a special icon for the honorary score.  I'm not looking to stir up controversy here and start fights with people, but for the sake of compiling data for championship wins and such, arnpoly is the Tier 1 champ of 2014.

Actually, you awarded me the Tier 1 icon.   Here's the post from page 11 of the 2014 finals thread:

Also, bearcat-doug opted to give up his Tier 3 prize since he was able to beat the Twin Galaxies world record for Double Dragon 2. His score is so impressive, he will be awarded an honorary Tier 1 icon for his impressive score.

I had actually forfeited my Tier 3 score so that the three remaining finalists would all recieve prizes and icons since I didn't feel right taking anything away from those players who had played all year and earned their way into the finals, so I posted a Tier 1 rules score for an added challenge so I could still participate. Like your post says, my Tier 1 rules score was the highest and I was given an honorary icon to reflect it, but I wouldn't really expect it to count towards the official standings since arnpoly was the true 2014 winter Tier 1 champion for the season. The only area that could cause confusion is that the final standings in the 2014 winter tournament thread do list me as the Tier 1 co-winner, so my Tier 1 rules score should probably be changed to honorary status as well so that arnpoly can be recognized as the actual champion.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:24:59 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Okay, I think I need to set things straight.  I'm not looking to start a war here and let's not have any drama over what I'm going to say.  You were a Tier 3 competitor, bottom line.  Yes, you played by Tier 1 rules and you posted a better score than arnpoly, but he was still the Tier 1 champion of 2014.  I'm not sure who awarded you the Tier 1 champion icon, but it looks as if it was in error.  Being a Tier 3 competitor that year, it should technically be a Tier 3 icon.  Or, we can even create a special icon for the honorary score.  I'm not looking to stir up controversy here and start fights with people, but for the sake of compiling data for championship wins and such, arnpoly is the Tier 1 champ of 2014.

Actually, you awarded me the Tier 1 icon.   Here's the post from page 11 of the 2014 finals thread:

Also, bearcat-doug opted to give up his Tier 3 prize since he was able to beat the Twin Galaxies world record for Double Dragon 2. His score is so impressive, he will be awarded an honorary Tier 1 icon for his impressive score.

I had actually forfeited my Tier 3 score so that the three remaining finalists would all recieve prizes and icons since I didn't feel right taking anything away from those players who had played all year and earned their way into the finals, so I posted a Tier 1 rules score for an added challenge so I could still participate. Like your post says, my Tier 1 rules score was the highest and I was given an honorary icon to reflect it, but I wouldn't really expect it to count towards the official standings since arnpoly was the true 2014 winter Tier 1 champion for the season. The only area that could cause confusion is that the final standings in the 2014 winter tournament thread do list me as the Tier 1 co-winner, so my Tier 1 rules score should probably be changed to honorary status as well so that arnpoly can be recognized as the actual champion.

Looks like I'll be eating my words from last night.  Sorry.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:48:29 AM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
just reviewed the Tecmo Super Bowl contest from 2014 , great week that was, can we pick a new set of teams next time around

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:20:39 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
For these statistics, I'm going to use the 2016 scoring so everything is standarized.  ie an 11th finish in 2014 got you 1 pt, but I'm counting it as 3 pts

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:45:33 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington

1st and 2nd discrepancy:  Ties resulted in 3rd place getting 10 points instead of 9, and 7th place getting 6 points instead of 5.
4th discrepancy - looks like I failed to give laddersandcakes participation points for Q*Bert.  I'm glad to see this didn't effect the tournament rankings.

As for the 6th and 7th discrepancies, these I'm sure work out when you add PDork87 and Mega Tank together.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:54:04 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: bertsampson

1st and 2nd discrepancy:  Ties resulted in 3rd place getting 10 points instead of 9, and 7th place getting 6 points instead of 5.
4th discrepancy - looks like I failed to give laddersandcakes participation points for Q*Bert.  I'm glad to see this didn't effect the tournament rankings.

As for the 6th and 7th discrepancies, these I'm sure work out when you add PDork87 and Mega Tank together.

Interesting.  I will check and update.  Thanks for the clarification.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:59:24 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

Interesting.  I will check and update.  Thanks for the clarification.

Oh, and the ties were in Golf as there's no real way to show a tiebreaker.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:08:30 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington
I would think you wouldn't include the tournament weeks, or keep them separated.  Kind of like season and post season.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:51:30 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

I would think you wouldn't include the tournament weeks, or keep them separated.  Kind of like season and post season.
Second this ^^^

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:45:33 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Blah, Krunch's scoreboards in 2014 have led me down the rabbit hole of bad data.  Dammit!  

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:27:10 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
2014-2016 now complete

Edited: 03/28/2017 at 04:01 PM by Brock Landers

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:47:30 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Nice to see my name on the top of that list and by a significant margin! (But to be fair that's probably the only way you could slice the data and have me come out on top.) You can put me in the Hall of Fame whenever!  

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:00:39 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Nice to see my name on the top of that list and by a significant margin! (But to be fair that's probably the only way you could slice the data and have me come out on top.) You can put me in the Hall of Fame whenever!  
I'd be interested to the see a second list that is normalized by participation level.  

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:27:15 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I'd be interested to the see a second list that is normalized by participation level.  

I would not because that would bump me off the top!   

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:36:52 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

That would shoot up more selective players like erizisto and Bea who consistently post top 3 finishes when they deem us worthy of an appearance.

Perhaps some sort of hybrid formula could be established.

Edited: 11/30/2016 at 12:37 PM by Brock Landers

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:44:47 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

That would shoot up more selective players like erizisto and Bea who consistently post top 3 finishes when they deem us worthy of an appearance.

Yeah, I'm not sure what formula would be of most interest.

But the "total across all years" is going to create an odd blend of those who participated the most, and those who did the best over a limited number of seasons.

That is, it's neat to see, but "it doesn't mean much" in the sense of clarifying skill versus presence.
(not saying that's the case for arnpoly, obviously, since he was a top bracket player across all seasons he was involved with)

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:58:53 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

Yeah, I'm not sure what formula would be of most interest.

But the "total across all years" is going to create an odd blend of those who participated the most, and those who did the best over a limited number of seasons.

That is, it's neat to see, but "it doesn't mean much" in the sense of clarifying skill versus presence.
(not saying that's the case for arnpoly, obviously, since he was a top bracket player across all seasons he was involved with)

I'll probably continue to sort the tables by wins (or maybe championships, but that would shoot up stupid Richard)

The earliest competitions aside, wins are damn hard to pull off unless you're a skilled mofo.  Even moreso in the upcoming season if this thread at all inspired past players to maybe take another shot at this thing.

Edited: 11/30/2016 at 01:00 PM by Brock Landers

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:04:05 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Say we came up with a metric like RPI (GPI?). You'd get a score for that season that would have to be a combination of placement, participation rate, and competitor strength. Perhaps a 0-100 scale.

I don't exactly have an MS in statistics or anything, but I could probably take a shot at creating something, but if anyone smarter than me wanted to help out I'd appreciate it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:15:04 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

I am not exactly a competitive lass, so I only tend to show up when I think it will be fun.
This year was an unusual exception. I took part way more often than usual.
I don't think that will be the case in 2017, and thus I don't think a formula to shoot up people like in the rankings is needed.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:17:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Say we came up with a metric like RPI (GPI?). You'd get a score for that season that would have to be a combination of placement, participation rate, and competitor strength. Perhaps a 0-100 scale.

I don't exactly have an MS in statistics or anything, but I could probably take a shot at creating something, but if anyone smarter than me wanted to help out I'd appreciate it.

How would you rate competitor strength?  Is the idea that the computation would be iterative as the various players balance their scores against each other?  (since every competitor would influence all other players scores and thus "their strength"?)

Or did you have something else in mind?

I definitely think the level of competition is important, though, for coming up with a 1-number-rating.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:46:07 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Every contest participant should get a GDV rating based on an analysis of their reflexes, memory, judgement and application power.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:47:58 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

How would you rate competitor strength?  Is the idea that the computation would be iterative as the various players balance their scores against each other?  (since every competitor would influence all other players scores and thus "their strength"?)

Or did you have something else in mind?

I definitely think the level of competition is important, though, for coming up with a 1-number-rating.

Yeah I'm not sure.  Perhaps you take everyone's RPI, and then do like an "adjustedRPI" score that takes into account the other GPI's you competed against?

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:59:11 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

Every contest participant should get a GDV rating based on an analysis of their reflexes, memory, judgement and application power.
I'd rather not talk about GDV because all my attempts to figure it out have failed so far...
I guess I would have better grounds to figure something out if I found the video footage of RDRunner Might Bomb Jack high score run.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.