NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The 10 Rarest & Most Valuable SNES Games (updated) my blog article

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:12:06 PM
SupaKoopaTroopa (10)
(    ) < Crack Trooper >
California
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9095943

Here is my blog article at 1up.com. I will post it here in the thread also.
If you have any additional information, or think something should be changed, let me know and I will put your user name at the bottom of the article.

As part of a school project I created a small Flash website about video games.
I have rendered the game cartridges in 3D using Adobe Illustrator.
This list includes the most popular of the rare games.
I might add 3 more games to make it 10.

Nintendo PowerFest '94

Also known as the Nintendo World Championships II, it was a Nintendo-promoted video game competition held in 1994. It was based on scoring points within 6 minutes using a special game pack. The competition games were Super Mario Lost Levels, Super Mario Kart, and Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball. Nintendo produced around 33 cartridges for the competition, and they were used across the country in 130 different events. Out of the 33 cartridges only one still remains in existence today. Its starting bid was $25,000.
Exertainment Mountain Bike Rally/Speed Racer

This is a 2 in 1 variant, featuring both games on one cart. You may have never played it before, that's because it was never commercially released. It was used with the LifeFitness Bike Unit. A game cart can cost up to $500 and $500 more for the Bike Unit. Only 16 in the world are known to be sealed, and one sold for $5,000 on ebay.

Super Copa

It is a Spanish/Portuguese version of Tony Meola's Sidekicks Soccer. The release may have been limited to Mexico, but the game was still catergorized as NTSC, which is North American region, that includes Mexico and Canada. There is a debate on whether this belongs in an US collection because some consider it not a US title. So it is up to the collector to decide. It is not as expensive as some of the other games on this list, around $300 for a loose cart, but it is very hard to get your hands on. You will most likely have to get one imported from Mexico.

Donkey Kong Country Competition Cart

The game was used in the Powerfest ’94 championship finals, as well as the Blockbuster World Video game Championships II in 1995 as a qualifier. It is a special timed version of the original Donkey Kong Country. You have five minutes to collect as many points as possible. After the competition ended, the carts were sold through Nintendo’s Super Power Supplies Catalog. According to the box, only 2,500 copies were made. They sell between $500 and $1200.
Earthbound

While not very rare, it is a game that picked up a cult following after an unsuccessful release in the US. However its Japanese release was very successful. It sold 140,000 copies in North America, and twice that in Japan. It was eventually regarded as one of the best RPG’s on the Super Nintendo. Popular demand had people buying up all the copies, which made the game harder to get your hands on. They can still be found on eBay, going for $300 complete in box, and over $1,000 if sealed.
Chrono Trigger

It is one of the most popular role-playing games for the Super Nintendo. While not very rare, this game is highly sought after by fans. Its success has lead to having a port to PlayStation 1 and Nintendo DS. Loose carts often sell for $40, but complete with the box can go for more than $100. Since this game is more popular than other RPG’s on the console, a sealed version can shoot all the way over $1,000.

Star Fox: Super Weekend Competition

Both the Star Fox and Donkey Kong Competition cartridges were used by Blockbuster Video in tournaments held within the store. It featured time-limited single player mode on modified stages, as well as an exclusive bonus level. Players in the competition could win a t-shirt, a jacket, or a trip to international destinations, depending on how well the scored. After the competition ended some of these special edition games were sold in the store. Nintendo Power also offered the remaining carts through their catalog. You can find them for around $400.

Final Fight Guy (Black Box Variant)

"Final Fight" was an arcade game released by capcom in 1989. An American revised SNES port, titled "Final Fight Guy", was released in 1994, as a rental-only game exclusive to Blockbuster stores. It originally came in an orange box, but it a black box version was recently discovered. There is a lot of confusion as to where these black box versions came from. It was either never released by Nintendo, because they made a deal with Blockbuster to release an Exclusive orange box, or it was a Canadian variant with limited release. However, the back of the box says, "For Sale in the USA Canada and Mexico." Very few of these have ever been found. Asking prices are unknown.

Mega Man X3

The third installment to the Mega Man X series and the last to appear on the Super Nintendo. It is also the first game in the series which features “Zero” as a playable character. It is rare because of its limited run and the fact that it was released during declining support of the console. Like Mega Man X2, the CX4 chip was added to the cartridge allowing for some limited 3D vector graphics, transparency effects, and resizing of wireframe objects, which was new to the SNES.
Mega Man 7

While it didn’t really bring anything new to the series and seemed to be a backwards step for Capcom, it still ended up as a collector’s item. It is the first and only title in the main series to make use of 16-bit graphics, while the previous ones used 8-bit on the NES. Another cool fact is that the eight Robot Masters in the game are the product of design contests held for fans in Japan. Asking prices are over $250, if it’s complete in the box.

I also did this article, The 10 Rarest & Most Valuable NES Games  http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9092309

-------------------------

my 1up • deviantART

Edited: 02/18/2012 at 02:18 AM by SupaKoopaTroopa

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:15:45 PM
VideoGamesIzFun (44)
(Justin B) < El Ripper >
Maryland
Nice work! But I def think you should switch Chrono Trigger to Super Copa

Edit: I see you want to add 3 games and .. you missed some
Super Copa
Exertainment Mountain Bike/ Speed Racer
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Dracula X
E.V.O.

RPG Fans
http://sociallinkmax.proboards.co...

Edited: 02/15/2012 at 10:19 PM by VideoGamesIzFun

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:19:08 PM
SupaKoopaTroopa (10)
(    ) < Crack Trooper >
California
Originally posted by: VideoGamesIzFun

Nice work! But I def think you should switch Chrono Trigger to Super Copa

Yes, I think I will add Super Copa second on the list.

my 1up • deviantART

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:19:22 PM
CompleteSNES (164)
(I'm Naked) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
^ Exactly what I was thinking. Very well done though! Oh, and what about Mountain Bike Rally / Speed Racer 2 in 1

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:23:30 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Nice work but SMB/SR definitely needs to be on there. Also I would add the 3 unlicensed carts MACS, MTS, and Super Noah 3d Ark.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:30:15 PM
aleckermit (34)
(The OoT Guy) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Remove Chrono and Earthbound for sure.

N64 NFR set completed:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Need these items: Ocarina of Time Gold NFR (just has NFR sticker on backside), Ocarina of Time 3D E3 NFR.

http://www.youtube.com/aleckermit...

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:30:39 PM
Nistle (94)
(Dustin Lett) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Nice article. Some games do need to be added, but you can never have a list that will suit everyone.

NES Collection: 83.73% Completed

Carts: 709/766
Manuals: 616/765
Boxes: 594/761

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:35:16 PM
CompleteSNES (164)
(I'm Naked) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Keep in mind it is rarest AND most valuable. EB is easily a "most valuable" snes game

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:44:36 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Yeah I would certainly keep both Earthbound and Chrono just due to their popularity/value. I would probably move the Mega Mans off the list first, even if they might be slighty more valuable than Chrono CIB. Heck there are quite a few more CIBs more valuable than Chrono. EVO, Aero Fighters, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Oscar, 3 Ninjas, ISSD, Hagane, Mario Early Years Preschool off the top of my head.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:55:28 PM
SNESfinder- (87)
(Stelio Kontos) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
MBRSR sealed is the rarest for sure and should replace MM7 i think, but a sealed earthbound would blow it out of the water as far as value goes.

BUYING/TRADING for mint snes boxes, CIB, and sealed, commons to rares and everything inbetween. will pay retail for items I need. ebay- http://www.ebay.com/sch/are-es-t/m.html?item=120930427271&pt...

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:16:00 AM
runningsmurf (4)
(Joe ) < Crack Trooper >
Florida
1. Super Copa
2. Aero Fighters
3. Exertainment MB/SR
4. DK competition
5. Starfox Competition
6. Mega man x3
7. Super Noah's Ark 3d
8. Ogre Battle
9. E.V.O.
10. Final Fight Guy

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:21:06 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'd probably replace Chrono Trigger with Final Fight Guy as far as it being rarer and more valuable.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:30:22 AM
nesworld (45)
(Martin Nielsen) < Meka Chicken >
Denmark
It's an odd mix of competition carts and mass produced games that were sold in stores, it doesn't make sense to me to include them in the same rarity list

Sorry! :-)

Longtime webmaster of nesworld.com 
Author of a near complete N64 release list http://www.nesworld.com/n64releaselist.php

N64 Wanted List:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Clayfighters 63 1/3: Sculptor's Cut (I)
StarCraft 64 (CIB) - PAL
Worms Armageddon (CIB) - NTSC
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Grey NFR Cart)

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:54:54 AM
SupaKoopaTroopa (10)
(    ) < Crack Trooper >
California
I will make some new graphics for the other games.

my 1up • deviantART

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:01:54 AM
Blue Gollumer (89)
(Warren Lee) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
Cool, I dig lists like these. Aero Fighters should def be on there though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:00:20 AM
knightriderce (115)
(I am Groot ) < El Ripper >
Minnesota
Final Fight Guy is really a top 10 rare?

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:03:09 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: knightriderce

Final Fight Guy is really a top 10 rare?

The Black Box Variant definitely is, I think there are only 3-4 known at this point.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:47:27 PM
SupaKoopaTroopa (10)
(    ) < Crack Trooper >
California
I added 3 more games. I could not add all the games everybody wanted, it takes too long to make the graphics and write the articles.

I added Super Copa, Final Fight Guy, and MB/SR. Look over my articles and let me know if I made any mistakes in the info or if you have anything to add.

my 1up • deviantART

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:48:21 PM
aleckermit (34)
(The OoT Guy) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Looks sweet, make one for N64 next plz

N64 NFR set completed:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Need these items: Ocarina of Time Gold NFR (just has NFR sticker on backside), Ocarina of Time 3D E3 NFR.

http://www.youtube.com/aleckermit...

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:44:53 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'd probably put Ninja Gaiden Trilogy or Dracula X in there over Chrono Trigger since they are both rarer and more valuable, but other than that, it looks like a pretty solid list.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:09:33 AM
VideoGamesIzFun (44)
(Justin B) < El Ripper >
Maryland
Originally posted by: SupaKoopaTroopa

I added 3 more games. I could not add all the games everybody wanted, it takes too long to make the graphics and write the articles.

I added Super Copa, Final Fight Guy, and MB/SR. Look over my articles and let me know if I made any mistakes in the info or if you have anything to add.

Very nice!!  Seems like a more solid list.  You've done great work.

RPG Fans
http://sociallinkmax.proboards.co...

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:07:41 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Nice work, looks great.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:20:12 AM
SupaKoopaTroopa (10)
(    ) < Crack Trooper >
California
I have an Atari list coming up next.

my 1up • deviantART

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:27:28 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
Just seen a very nice CIB earthbound fetch $450. Also, what about that Zombie box variant? By far more rare than a few of these titles.

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:33:38 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: xtremegamer

Just seen a very nice CIB earthbound fetch $450. Also, what about that Zombie box variant? By far more rare than a few of these titles.

Ha totally forgot about that one, and the box art is awesome.