NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Series" NA Award sub-set guide Updated - 8/2/2011

LOCKED TOPIC

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:05:57 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
No Rondo of Blood!?!?!?!? How can you have a Castlevania set without the greatest title in the series??? I think the MSX version should be included too, but Im not going to hold me breath.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:14:00 PM
videogamehunter (56)
(Tyler Bartsch) < Ridley Wrangler >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

CD-i titles shoud definitely be included regardless of how bad they are.

I agree to this and why isn't there a Mortal Kombat icon. There should be a icon for that game.

-------------------------

My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/hotanime32   

New Video - Why You Should Get A Retron 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p...

My Drawings - http://videogamehunter.deviantart.com/

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:23:41 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
I personally vote no on CD-i... screw those games. Also, Donkey Kong has a pretty good list of games. Maybe an icon for those would be good.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:11:41 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Berserker

Three conditions for getting (and keeping) the award:

2. Must have at least 10 bonus items that have to do with the series.
This includes but is not limited to:
Games not included in the list of qualifying games, re-releases (in addition to normal releases required for #1), multiple console versions, variants (whether error, screw, etc.), compilations, games from other regions, pirates, strategy guides, promotional materials, etc.
This excludes items that are not official. (Handmade artwork, bead-art, Etsy stuff, etc.)
As well as stuff with no tangible value. (DLC, phone games, etc.)

To get an award, you need to have all the games, plus 10 more items?  Why??

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:37:02 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming
^^ Yeah I have to agree with MrMiniMog on this one. All the rules look good to me, but I really didn't understand this one. I'm close to a complete Metriod set, but have no idea what another 10 items would be... and to be honest I don't really want to buy 10 random metriod items. I can draw some stick figure samus' on 10 sheets of paper if that works.

Edited: 07/25/2011 at 05:37 PM by NintendoTwizer

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:35:39 PM
blastocystosis (39)
(J W) < El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

No Rondo of Blood!?!?!?!? How can you have a Castlevania set without the greatest title in the series??? I think the MSX version should be included too, but Im not going to hold me breath.

This is exactly what I came here to say. Even though it's an import title, if you're a real Castlevania fan, you would have a copy of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine. It's the definitive way to play it.

How can you be a bisexual and be in a wheel chair?? - ThatNintendoGuy
I was in the bathroom at the gay bar - rhetoric614

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:21:27 AM
Berserker (41)
(< • • ll Andrew O. ll • • >) < Kraid Killer >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: MrMiniMog

Games not included in the list of qualifying games, re-releases (in addition to normal releases required for #1), multiple console versions, variants (whether error, screw, etc.), compilations, games from other regions, pirates, strategy guides, promotional materials, etc.
This excludes items that are not official. (Handmade artwork, bead-art, Etsy stuff, etc.)

Just an idea to make it harder. The point of these awards was for people who are fans of the series and collectors of it. Not for people who just happen to have all the games because they're good games. Though, who knows if we'll even be keeping them.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:27:12 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

Originally posted by: MrMiniMog

Just an idea to make it harder. The point of these awards was for people who are fans of the series and collectors of it. Not for people who just happen to have all the games because they're good games. Though, who knows if we'll even be keeping them.

That's the only thing I wasn't sure of either, but I didn't want to seem anymore "negative"   Maybe you could do the award symbol and then a separate award symbol with a small plus sign in the corner if they fulfill the 10 more item requirement.

If it's an award based on having the set, the 10 extra items seems superficial.  Now if it's an award title "Die Hard Zelda fan" or something, then the 10 items makes sense.  Either the award should be clarified or the 10 extra items should be optional IMO.

But 10 more items could be something as trivial as Nintendo Power posters or anything random.  Just seems a bit out of place.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:34:53 AM
Berserker (41)
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: jonebone

That's the only thing I wasn't sure of either, but I didn't want to seem anymore "negative"   Maybe you could do the award symbol and then a separate award symbol with a small plus sign in the corner if they fulfill the 10 more item requirement.

That would only be more of a hassle to keep track of then it is already looking to be.
As it is these will probably get fazed out. Just waiting to hear from the man himself before anything happens.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:45:53 AM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
it seems pretty easy to do the 10 "extra items", if you also collect even just the strategy guides because im sure i have more than 10 zelda and resident evil guides each.

i collect strategy guides and they really should have their own category, not just be considered as an "extra item" needed for a "series" award....

why isnt there an award for a complete "nintendo player's guide set" or something like that?
it might motivate me to finally get the last couple i said i would never own. (pokemon)

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:17:00 AM
Callin (2)
(Andy ) < Crack Trooper >
Maryland

Well, considering that each of those awards already spans at least 7 different consoles, I think achieving any one of them would already make that person a collector/fan.

Edited: 07/26/2011 at 09:24 AM by Callin

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:21:59 AM
Berserker (41)
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Callin

Well, considering that each of those awards already spans at least 7 different consoles, I think achieving any one of them would already make that person a collector/fan. I can't imagine someone just "happening to have" an entire series and not being one. Just my 2 cents...

Well, when I originally conceived the idea for these, I had people like this in mind:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:22:44 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Oh yeah and if these series do stick around, Starfox seems like it should be included as well.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:39:27 AM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Oh yeah and if these series do stick around, Starfox seems like it should be included as well.

why not add mortal kombat too?

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:47:18 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Well yes but that was already mentioned...

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:50:40 AM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming
Yeah, I'm hoping these award icons stick around. I think they are cool. To keep track of them we'd just need a forum thread. If a person thinks they qualify for an Icon they just have to post a pic of the games laid out. I'm sure there won't be a ton of people who will care to do this or have a complete set, but I do think it should be available for those who want to take the time to do it. So here's how I think it would work.

1. Set up and finalized rules and finalize list of needed games.
2. Create Forum post: "Game Series Sub-set Pictures"
3. Forum post Host looks at who qualifies for the icons and emails a mod.
4. Mod gives member icon.

The one hard part would be keeping everyone's icon up to date. As in Mario 3DS comes out, does someone who has a Mario icon have this game? I say this isn't something to get too bent out of shape about. If someone has proven that they bought the last 35 mario games I think it's safe to assume that person is a big enough fan to buy the next new mario. So I say we just go on trust with people who have an icon. That doesn't mean that future mario, zeldas, ect can't be added to the list... but if you have the icon, then you have the icon. Unless you sell off your collection or something.

So I do hope that Dain/Admins, decided to keep these Icons because I think they are awesome. I'll be glad to help however I can. Heck I'd even do step 2 and 3 of my list. Start the thread, go through pics, ect... I'm glad to help. Just my two cents /end rant

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:51:02 AM
Berserker (41)
New Hampshire
All the requests and badgering are only serving to dig the grave.

You might as well say:
"About all the work and trouble it will be to manage what is already there... How about a bunch more while you're at it?".

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:54:20 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Idea for no upkeep work: Once you earn it, you earn it. Doesn't matter what new game comes out next month.

If you have all of the games of a series now, chances are you are going to grab the new one anyway.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:02:04 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Yeah I agree with Mog and Twizer. I think the honor system is more than sufficient regarding future releases. And if there's a separate thread where you have to submit photo evidence to get the award, then that streamlines the process quite well.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:10:13 AM
Berserker (41)
New Hampshire
^^^ Thanks a lot you three. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.
I just made the icons with no real plan behind them. Then got blindsided and tried to rush things together.

However, this does have the potential to explode into people having a ton of awards, which I want to avoid.
That's why I had suggested the 10 item rule. Any other ideas on how to prevent flooding?

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:56:50 PM
nukie (31)
(Nathan Anderson) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota

I would maybe limit it to major franchises. I'm sure there are 10 items in some obscure game reference, and that may be fine, but so would seeing the major titles. I'm talking about the ones that everyone recognizes.

Edit:  And maybe make it series with at least ten games.  This would help limit the games and still require a feat of collecting.

I don't play WoW, but I make chainmail for cats. - Montana Baker

The next time someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football.

Edited: 07/26/2011 at 06:00 PM by nukie

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:41:31 PM
nothingface023 (60)
(Andy C) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio

^^^ Thanks a lot you three. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.
I just made the icons with no real plan behind them. Then got blindsided and tried to rush things together.

However, this does have the potential to explode into people having a ton of awards, which I want to avoid.
That's why I had suggested the 10 item rule. Any other ideas on how to prevent flooding?

Hmm....maybe once their awarded, could it be user-controlled?  Maybe you could have a limit on the ones you can display under your avatar - that way you would pick your favorite ones to show off.  Maybe limit it to displaying a max of 10 (two rows of five)?

Have any Odd or Rare Variants?  Post 'em here:  http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:06:23 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I quality for the Zelda one, if someone could get on that for me.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:29:01 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming

Just to give everyone a heads up, I've been working with Berserker on hammering out all the details for these lists and icons. I'll start a thread with all the details hopefully sometime in the next week or so. So watch for that.

EDIT:  Ah, didn't notice until a second ago that Berserker already mentioned this in the top post.

Edited: 07/30/2011 at 04:32 PM by NintendoTwizer

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:54:40 AM
thewalrusisal (42)
(Minister Pumpkin) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
So Metroid Prime Trilogy would not count since it's a compilation, correct? I don't have the standalone Prime 2 or 3...boo.

NintendoID:  TheWalrus
3DS Friend Code:  3093-8213-0883
PSN: TheWalrusIsAl

I buy and collect the game, but if you guys can give me any insight on the game I like game to game game game game? - Blastocystosis