Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2018 Weekly Contests Presents: Rollerball Contest ends Sunday, 5/13/18 at 11 PM NA time

May 6, 2018 at 4:11:10 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!

I want to start off by apologizing for last week's tough game
As I thought it would be more popular with the “Ikari” brand name.
Yes, I know Ikari Warriors is super, freaking hard,
And I hope you all didn't send your carts off to the junkyard.
So if you truly and passionately hate this game,
There's a better way to give it some fame.
So rip this game right out of your NES Toaster
And instead use it as a fancy beer coaster!
So, with that in mind, let's put the inaugural Ikari Warriors contest in the past,
And finally get to the next challenge at last.
I swear, the game this week will be fun for all y'all
Because we are going to play an awesome game of pinball.
Let's briefly go back in time to the days of yore
When there were pinball machines galore.
With a pocket full of quarters, you would enter the arcade
And quickly zoom by popular games like Ninja Turtles, Mortal Kombat, and Renegade.
Gleefully you would approach your favorite pinball machine
And play it for hours without ever going to the latrine.
Maybe your favorite was Taxi or Black Knight or Bride of Pin Bot,
Oh, I must say, I like that last one a lot!
Or maybe it was Firepower or No Good Gofers or Medieval Madness
Oh man, that one is full of absolute badassness!
Of perhaps you enjoyed Funhouse, Creature from the Black Lagoon, or Monster Bash,
Geez, that's one table in which I could definitely spend all my petty cash!
Alas, none of those classics will be our game of the week,
But what I have picked out should satisfy even the most hardcore pinball geek.
The name of the game is Rollerball,
So pop it in your NES and grab your favorite drink containing alcohol.
It contains four screens of intense pinball action,
Which should leave you all with much satisfaction.
Okay, I think that's enough for this Bimmy rhyme,
So pick up your controllers because it's gaming time!
Hold on to your butts and prepare to play a game that's super cools
And get ready for me to introduce you to the contest's rules:

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Take your picture on the Game Over screen.  The screen will eventually go away, but you will have plenty of time to take a picture of your score.  Just be aware it will disappear.
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 50,000
  • GENRE: Arcade

The contest ends Sunday, 5/13/18 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun  

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

May 6, 2018 at 4:11:26 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Weekly Leaderboard header

1st bertsampson 7,319,560
2nd tablew/chairs 6,483,640
3rd gutsman004 5,147,850
4th Krunch 4,470,170
5th arnpoly 3,546,030
6th JamesRobot 1,653,580
7th Murray 953,360
8th the tall guy 413,620
9th smick 398,640
10th Mega Tank 382,450
11th Yoshi 378,100
12th Ausden 309,470
13th Seppatoni 149,040
14th skinnygrinny 122,050

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 05/14/2018 at 06:04 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

May 6, 2018 at 8:52:42 AM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio

This is game is a lot of fun and Kirby’s Pinball Land has seemed to borrow a lot from this game, but since they were both made by HAL, I guess I should not be too surprised. 

Edited: 05/07/2018 at 01:34 PM by Yoshi

May 6, 2018 at 11:15:20 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Edited: 05/13/2018 at 06:44 PM by Mega Tank

May 6, 2018 at 11:42:05 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Public service announcement:

That new Cobrai Kai show is a dirty lie and nothing but propaganda from the liberal backwoods Florida media.

Carry on.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

May 7, 2018 at 3:04:51 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
I'm havin a good time with this one. IMO best pinball game on the NES. If past contests are an indicator we should see some monster scores

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

May 8, 2018 at 1:16:53 AM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Does it mean I'm old when I look at my high score for this game and it's at 2.4 million, and yet I have no recollection of ever playing it? I'm sure it'll all come back to me when I play it again, but I can see Pinball and Pinbot, but Rollerball?

May 8, 2018 at 2:25:48 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: bertsampson

Does it mean I'm old when I look at my high score for this game and it's at 2.4 million, and yet I have no recollection of ever playing it? I'm sure it'll all come back to me when I play it again, but I can see Pinball and Pinbot, but Rollerball?

This means that you're getting old in ''contest years''.

May 8, 2018 at 4:44:48 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Okay so I figured out how to consistently (usually) get to the top playfield where all the good points are. Also had multiball for forever. I played this game for over an hour and fifteen minutes. I doubt I can do any better than this. Getting the three cherries in the slot machine is HUGE. Advancing the multiplier to 5x is equally huge.

Edited: 05/08/2018 at 04:28 PM by gutsman004

May 8, 2018 at 4:32:56 PM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan

May 8, 2018 at 5:08:09 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Yeah, that could be too.  However, I played it just now, and I remembered that I played it to gain points on the scoreboard.  The reason I didn't remember is that I only played it a few times, got 2.4 million, which is over double 2nd place, and moved on to the next game.  That score took me 38 minutes, so I figure I have a good chance of besting that score this week.  

May 8, 2018 at 8:42:09 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: tablew/chairs

Nice score man,you clobbered it! I thought maybe my score would hold up for a little bit. Haha. 

May 8, 2018 at 8:43:15 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Yeah, that could be too.  However, I played it just now, and I remembered that I played it to gain points on the scoreboard.  The reason I didn't remember is that I only played it a few times, got 2.4 million, which is over double 2nd place, and moved on to the next game.  That score took me 38 minutes, so I figure I have a good chance of besting that score this week.  

I figured I gave you a decent score to best,but tables already blew past my score. 

May 8, 2018 at 8:57:50 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I figured I gave you a decent score to best,but tables already blew past my score. 

Dude, I didn't think that anybody could top my 956k in Palamedes, but tables somehow did it.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

May 8, 2018 at 9:14:27 PM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Not like my score is going to hold up either, I'm sure someone is going to score over ten million. This game is so boring though I don't think I can bring myself to play more.

May 9, 2018 at 3:12:08 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Not like my score is going to hold up either, I'm sure someone is going to score over ten million. This game is so boring though I don't think I can bring myself to play more.

I wish there were alternative ways to score big points. That definitely would have made the gameplay more interesting. I really would have liked to have seen a table bump feature as well.

May 9, 2018 at 9:20:16 AM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan

I wish there were alternative ways to score big points. That definitely would have made the gameplay more interesting. I really would have liked to have seen a table bump feature as well.

I agree with that. This game just seems like if you really concentrated you could play forever, the only shot I couldn’t consistently hit was clearing it from the lowest portion of the table using the left flipper.  The times when it just didn’t make it up to the next area were when I lost the ball.

i think high speed is the best pinball on the system completing the mini games is a fun secondary objective and the crazy shit like the flippers exploding and the guy appearing to smash your ball really break up the repetitiveness of hitting the same shots over and over 

May 9, 2018 at 5:28:24 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I agree with that. This game just seems like if you really concentrated you could play forever, the only shot I couldn’t consistently hit was clearing it from the lowest portion of the table using the left flipper.  The times when it just didn’t make it up to the next area were when I lost the ball.

i think high speed is the best pinball on the system completing the mini games is a fun secondary objective and the crazy shit like the flippers exploding and the guy appearing to smash your ball really break up the repetitiveness of hitting the same shots over and over 

I have a hard time hitting that shot too. The layout of that bottom playfield sucks.

May 9, 2018 at 5:45:32 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

Damn this game is addicting.  This is last nights effort, I came close just now but choked, I just cant seem to keep the ball(s) alive once I get on a good run.  Looking at what everyone else has posted, I almost just want to say fuck it and make this my final score, but the game is just so addicting that I can play for several hours and still want more.

Update: Scored this the other night, kickin myself that I couldnt go longer because with the level of my bonus and multiplier I should have just cranked the HAL letters the whole time.  Once you lay for a while with the cherries and lose the ball, you're never going to have another really profitable ball.  Played a bit more but I've lost my groove/burnt out a bit, and it takes so long to set up the table, so I think I'm gonna make this one my final submission.

(old score 2,993,330)

Edited: 05/13/2018 at 02:31 AM by Krunch

May 9, 2018 at 5:47:54 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Damn this game is addicting.  This is last nights effort, I came close just now but choked, I just cant seem to keep the ball(s) alive once I get on a good run.  Looking at what everyone else has posted, I almost just want to say fuck it and make this my final score, but the game is just so addicting that I can play for several hours and still want more.

Nice! Honestly before my current score,I was stuck around 600-700k. Keep pressing!

May 9, 2018 at 6:52:50 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington
Had some time today.  I agree that this game could be played forever, but luck as well as skill are needed to make that happen.

Edited: 05/13/2018 at 02:14 AM by bertsampson

May 9, 2018 at 7:12:15 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

Nice! Honestly before my current score,I was stuck around 600-700k. Keep pressing!

I know I can do better cause last time I got 3.5 mil, but your guys’ scores are monsters.  It really is about staying diligent enough to have that great run. The irony is that I now have a greater understanding of the rules even though my score is lower than last time. 

Edited: 05/13/2018 at 02:31 AM by Krunch

May 9, 2018 at 8:32:50 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I know I can do better cause last time I got 3.5 mil, but your guys’ scores are monsters.  It really is about staying diligent enough to have that great run. The irony is that I now have a greater understanding of the rules even though my score is lower than last time. 

The ability to be able to master the type of shot to keep your ball on the top playfield is crucial. 

May 10, 2018 at 12:55:09 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

May 11, 2018 at 8:45:54 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136