Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES fan stoked to find NintendoAge!

Jul 16 at 10:45:40 AM
sdiben27 (0)

< Cherub >
Colorado
Hi all,

My name is Steve. This is my story.

At the age of 10, bloodthirsty for the N64, I sold off my SNES collection to EB Games for pennies (including Earthbound and Chrono Trigger). As the years passed, SNES remained my favorite system by far and I occassionally emulated the games I missed.

Fast forward to summer 2019: I have begun down the rabbit hole of retro gaming. I grabbed a CRT off Craigslist and mailed an SNES Jr to be RGB modded. Nostalgia plus the love of a good scavenger hunt makes me really excited to accumulate a SNES library from scratch. I also have a strong desire to play through all my games and do so blind (just using online copy of the manual).

Excited to connect with ya'll (or pointed to resources) around all these topics: any members in Colorado, what kind of collecting goal you think is good for someone new, hunting garage sales, and basically anything SNES.

Edited: 07/16/2019 at 10:47 AM by sdiben27

Jul 16 at 10:49:42 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: sdiben27

Hi all,

My name is Steve. This is my story.

At the age of 10, bloodthirsty for the N64, I sold off my SNES collection to EB Games for pennies (including Earthbound and Chrono Trigger). As the years passed, SNES remained my favorite system by far and I occassionally emulated the games I missed.

Fast forward to summer 2019: I have begun down the rabbit hole of retro gaming. I grabbed a CRT off Craigslist and mailed an SNES Jr to be RGB modded. Nostalgia plus the love of a good scavenger hunt makes me really excited to accumulate a SNES library from scratch. I also have a strong desire to play through all my games and do so blind (just using online copy of the manual).

Excited to connect with ya'll (or pointed to resources) around all these topics: any members in Colorado, what kind of collecting goal you think is good for someone new, hunting garage sales, and basically anything SNES.

Welcome to the age!!!

Jul 16 at 10:51:37 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Welcome to the site!

I personally suggest a personally curated list with the occasional "must-have" which you've never played before.

So basically toss together your dream list of games that you will PLAY, and collect those. I'd never suggest a new collector jump into full set collecting, as you'll more than likely find yourself burnt out and stuck with a bunch of garbage games that are worth little to nothing, and have a hard time getting rid of them. (personal experience!)

Once you have your childhood games and games you rented and liked as a kid, start looking into the must-haves for the console that you never heard of or never got a chance to play before and seek those out.

-------------------------

Jul 16 at 10:53:48 AM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
There's a whole group of us in Denver that hang out and do game stuff. Well, there's 4 of us. Either way, good luck on your collecting journey.
Your best bet is to start up a WTB thread for the things you want here on NA. You won't be disappointed. Your wallet might get a workout though.
If you wanna do a little local buying Doc's is a pretty good store that has fair prices and good conversation.
There are also good deals to be had on FB marketplace if you're quick.

Jul 16 at 11:08:23 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Richardhead

There's a whole group of us in Denver that hang out and do game stuff. Well, there's 4 of us. Either way, good luck on your collecting journey.
Your best bet is to start up a WTB thread for the things you want here on NA. You won't be disappointed. Your wallet might get a workout though.
If you wanna do a little local buying Doc's is a pretty good store that has fair prices and good conversation.

There's a whole group of us! Dozens! Well ok 4... yeah it's just me. Please come over I'm so lonely.

Jul 16 at 11:09:57 AM
sdiben27 (0)

< Cherub >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Gloves

Welcome to the site!

I personally suggest a personally curated list with the occasional "must-have" which you've never played before.

So basically toss together your dream list of games that you will PLAY, and collect those. I'd never suggest a new collector jump into full set collecting, as you'll more than likely find yourself burnt out and stuck with a bunch of garbage games that are worth little to nothing, and have a hard time getting rid of them. (personal experience!)

Once you have your childhood games and games you rented and liked as a kid, start looking into the must-haves for the console that you never heard of or never got a chance to play before and seek those out.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Yesterday, a close friend of mine dug up 32 SNES games from his parents house for me. There's only 6-8 that I truly want, but I feel like I shouldn't pass up on an opportunity to acquire the lot for well below market value. At the end of the day though, half of them are garbage. What are your thoughts on the situation?

Edited: 07/16/2019 at 11:10 AM by sdiben27

Jul 16 at 11:10:54 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Originally posted by: Gloves

Welcome to the site!

Thanks so much for the advice!

Yesterday, a close friend of mine dug up 32 SNES games from his parents house for me. There's only 6-8 that I truly want, but I feel like I shouldn't pass up on an opportunity to acquire the lot for well below under market value. At the end of the day though, half of them are garbage. What are your thoughts on the situation?

When a deal comes up pick it up for sure. At the least it could be trade bait.

Jul 16 at 11:19:17 AM
sdiben27 (0)

< Cherub >
Colorado

Yes - seeing your post makes me so happy that I created this thread!

Would love to eventually meet you guys, although I will disappoint you with how little I know about gaming from 2005-present.

I'm in Boulder and our retro game store prices SNES catridges at 10-50% above market value, which saddens me as I do want to support them but not THAT much. I'll definitely check out Doc's.

Jul 16 at 11:31:37 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Would love to eventually meet you guys, although I will disappoint you with how little I know about gaming from 2005-present.

I'm in Boulder and our retro game store prices SNES catridges at 10-50% above market value, which saddens me as I do want to support them but not THAT much. I'll definitely check out Doc's.

Keep in mind that market value doesn't always factor in shipping. For me in Canada at least 10% markup actually often comes to less than getting a game shipped to me, with the added benefit of getting to see the game physically in person before committing to a purchase (and if in doubt you can ask them to show you the game working in a console).

Jul 16 at 11:33:00 AM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado

Going to Hammer’s House Party b? 

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Jul 16 at 11:34:36 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
Hello Steve and welcome to NA!

Definitely some SNES love here, don't worry. While NES seems to get most of the attention, there are still many of us who love SNES (I enjoy it waaaaay more than NES, for example).

Are you looking for cart-only, or CIB games? It's ok if you don't know for sure just yet - but I would definitely encourage you thinking about it early on and deciding if you are happy with just the carts, or if you will regret later not going after the boxes/manuals/etc.

Do you have a small list of games that you are really looking for at the moment?

Thanks!

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Jul 16 at 11:43:04 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Hi! Good luck finding your SNES treasures!

Jul 16 at 11:58:02 AM
sdiben27 (0)

< Cherub >
Colorado
Originally posted by: sadikyo

Definitely some SNES love here, don't worry. While NES seems to get most of the attention, there are still many of us who love SNES (I enjoy it waaaaay more than NES, for example).

Are you looking for cart-only, or CIB games? It's ok if you don't know for sure just yet - but I would definitely encourage you thinking about it early on and deciding if you are happy with just the carts, or if you will regret later not going after the boxes/manuals/etc.

Do you have a small list of games that you are really looking for at the moment?

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome!

Leaning toward cart-only, but would love to hear your thoughts. I mostly just care about the cart, but see how CIB might retain/increase value better long-term.

I own 6 games but about to acquire my friend's set (mentioned above). With the goal to actually play through everything (shovelware aside), I'll already be backlogged. Thus, I am patient and seeking good deals in whatever form.

Pretty open-minded, but here are the games I would be most interested in acquiring next:
-Super Metroid
-Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
-Castlevania IV
-Earthworm Jim
-Illusion of Gaia
-Lost Vikings
-Gradius III
-Breath of Fire
-Super Mario RPG

Edited: 07/16/2019 at 12:01 PM by sdiben27

Jul 16 at 11:59:15 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Hello! Welcome to NA!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jul 16 at 12:03:24 PM
Metal_Mantis (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Hello there!

Jul 16 at 12:08:10 PM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States

Originally posted by: sadikyo

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome!

Leaning toward cart-only, but would love to hear your thoughts. I mostly just care about the cart, but see how CIB might retain/increase value better long-term.

I own 6 games but about to acquire my friend's set (mentioned above). With the goal to actually play through everything (shovelware aside), I'll already be backlogged. Thus, I am patient and seeking good deals in whatever form.

Pretty open-minded, but here are the games I would be most interested in acquiring next:
-Super Metroid
-Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
-Castlevania IV
-Earthworm Jim
-Illusion of Gaia
-Lost Vikings
-Gradius III
-Breath of Fire
-Super Mario RPG

You have good taste in games  

Regarding cart vs. CIB - there really isn't a right or wrong answer.  Most of my SNES collection is cart only.  Yeah, from a purely financial perspective, long-term, having them all CIB would definitely make them all more valuable later on.  That wasn't a significant concern for me starting out.  My plan at this point will probably be to sell off a bunch of randoms and extras, and then maybe just get CIBs for my SUPER favorite games or something, just because I like the full package.  If part of the goal is to have a more valuable collection in the future - investing earlier on in nice quality CIBs and keeping them protected, is almost surely going to make it more valuable down the line.  Again - if that is a concern.  But that also means acquiring them would be super expensive compared to just getting carts to play. 

I'll look through my games and see if I have extras from your list.  Enjoy your time here, read our FAQ, and let us know if you have any questions.  We also have a Discord server in case you are interested:  https://discord.gg/5tuxaqD...

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Jul 16 at 12:11:16 PM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Welcome! Glad to see you've found us!

*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 16 at 1:20:43 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Welcome! Have a great time here.

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Jul 16 at 3:20:38 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Welcome to the forums, Steve!

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jul 16 at 3:24:39 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Murray

Going to Hammer's House Party b? 

Colorado Crew checking in! We'll all be at Hammer's House Party on Friday. Welcome to tha NAge.

Edited: 07/16/2019 at 10:25 PM by JamesRobot

Jul 16 at 4:21:05 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
Welcome! Going CIB myself, and it is expensive, could just go mix if i dont have the money, but I love all the extras that go with it. I think if the game isnt that important to me then I could go cart only but we will see. I too got rid of my snes by giving it away, didn't have as many expensive carts as you tho, but still a lot of good ones. Enjoy this place, and you should be able to find several good deals here, I have.

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Jul 16 at 5:41:56 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Welcome to NA, fellow SNES enthusiast!

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 16 at 7:04:09 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Hey guy.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jul 27 at 4:37:50 PM
Quest4SNES (7)

(Mr. Collector) < Crack Trooper >
Iowa
Welcome, you are where I was about 3 years ago. I'm going for the entire library, cart only and probably have around 450 titles with the majority of the heavy hitters $100+ range...currently trying to find the right deal on Aero Fighters  

It's a fun hobby and if you do it right you can get quite far just buy finding good deals on lots, taking what you need and selling the rest. I do this often.

Aug 05 at 6:18:14 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Welcome.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here